Complete Sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
sickandtired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a pair of JVC UXJ60 Speakers off the net thinking they were not from a stereo component. Anyways the speakers have dual subwoofers and have individual positive and negative for both the regular speaker sound and the subwoofer component. What I am having trouble with is trying to hook them up to a 5.1 channel receiver.

I was thinking of putting them through a male/ 2 female Y adapter. But then I'm puzzled with the (Zip Cord) positive/ negative (blue/ grey as shown in pic) input.

PC120019.JPG 1278k .JPG file

PC120020.JPG 1255k .JPG file


How do I do this? Or do I need different subwoofer output jacks on my receiver?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC120019.JPG (1.25 MB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg PC120020.JPG (1.23 MB, 15 views)
sickandtired is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,403
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119

What you bought is a pair of speakers from a boom-box that requires bi-amping and your (undefined) receiver lacks the capability of providing proper outputs for them.  I hope you didn't pay much for them.


Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
jevans64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Looking at your 2nd picture. It looks like BOTH sections only require 60 watts at 6 Ohms to drive them. You should be able to take the negative end the speaker wire and connect it to the black clip, the positive end of the speaker wire to the grey clip, and take a short piece of speaker wire and bridge the blue and red clips. This is wiring them in series and will DOUBLE the Ohms. Since they are 6 Ohms, wiring them in series will take them to 12 Ohms, which should be fine for a receiver that can do at least 40 watts / channel @ 8 Ohms. You CAN'T wire them in parallel because that would reduce the resistance to 3 Ohms. Your other option is bi-amping ( running individual cables to each pair of clips using two of your amp sections ) but I probably wouldn't do that since the total recommended amp power is only 60 watts @ 6 Ohms.

Wiring them in series would essentially turn them into some not very good 3-way speakers. I'm pretty sure the right set of clips are for the tweeter and midrange ( top two speakers ) and the left set of clips are for the woofer on the bottom. Only way to find out whether they are any good for your needs is to try them out.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
jevans64 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 12-13-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
sickandtired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh thank you that helps! I was looking at dual voice coil wiring for car woofers. So I understand what your talking about. I kept looking for receivers that have dual subwoofer jacks for the sub I have, but to no avail. So all I have to do is bridge the positive jacks for the left and right separately? To get the speakers to run at 12 Ohms?

As for my receiver stats I do not have one I am thinking of getting a STR-DE935 or STR-GA7ES
sickandtired is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 12-13-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,403
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

Looking at your 2nd picture. It looks like BOTH sections only require 60 watts at 6 Ohms to drive them. You should be able to take the negative end the speaker wire and connect it to the black clip, the positive end of the speaker wire to the grey clip, and take a short piece of speaker wire and bridge the blue and red clips. This is wiring them in series and will DOUBLE the Ohms. Since they are 6 Ohms, wiring them in series will take them to 12 Ohms, which should be fine for a receiver that can do at least 40 watts / channel @ 8 Ohms. You CAN'T wire them in parallel because that would reduce the resistance to 3 Ohms. Your other option is bi-amping ( running individual cables to each pair of clips using two of your amp sections ) but I probably wouldn't do that since the total recommended amp power is only 60 watts @ 6 Ohms.
Wiring them in series would essentially turn them into some not very good 3-way speakers. I'm pretty sure the right set of clips are for the tweeter and midrange ( top two speakers ) and the left set of clips are for the woofer on the bottom. Only way to find out whether they are any good for your needs is to try them out.

It ain't the impedance or the power that is the major concern:  There is no crossover when you do any of these maneuvers.  All the speakers will be getting full-range signals and guaranteed to sound like crap.


Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
jevans64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

It ain't the impedance or the power that is the major concern:  There is no crossover when you do any of these maneuvers.  All the speakers will be getting full-range signals and guaranteed to sound like crap.

Yes. I understand all that and is why I said that it would turn them into some NOT VERY GOOD 3-way speakers. I didn't want to be so harsh towards the OP. wink.gif No harm in trying them since he has them.
Quote:
As for my receiver stats I do not have one I am thinking of getting a STR-DE935 or STR-GA7ES

I would actually look at getting something a little bit newer. Both of those are in excess of 10 years old and won't have anything in the way of compatibility with HDTVs. You can get something like an Onkyo TX-NR515 or Denon AVR-1612 for around $250/$200 that would be way more modern than those older Sony units. Check out Accessories4less. They generally only sell refurbished receivers but they will be only one to two years old. I guess it depends on how many legacy components you want to hook up since these newer receivers concentrate on HDMI.

Just to clarify. Connect wires in series this way for 12 Ohm operation.

Black speaker wire ==>[ Black Terminal (-) ] ***** [ Red Terminal (+) ] <== Jumper wire ==> [ Blue Terminal (-) ] ***** [ Grey Terminal (+) ] <== Red speaker wire.

As Kal stated. You aren't going to have any crossover, so you'll have to set the receiver to " Large " for speakers. You won't have any LFE so a dedicated powered subwoofer is going to be needed for movies. $280 will get you a pair of Definitive Technology SM450 speakers which would probably knock your socks off.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
jevans64 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
sickandtired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks I got them running. But the receiver I purchased was a Yamaha v490 I think and does not have HD inputs but what I really wanted was just something that has subwoofer output and a phono input for now until I could afford an upgrade
sickandtired is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off