7.1 speaker mismatch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently replaced old Klh fronts and center with pioneers. Thinking about getting a 7.1 receiver and using the Klh fronts and sats as part of the 7.1. Will that mismatch with the pioneers work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post

Recently replaced old Klh fronts and center with pioneers. Thinking about getting a 7.1 receiver and using the Klh fronts and sats as part of the 7.1. Will that mismatch with the pioneers work?

As long as the fronts and center are Pioneer, it can work for now.
5.1 would be enough for me - however, your call.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 5 Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I understand that the extra set of speakers in a 7.1 set up are basically a second set of front speakers. Assuming I'm correct, if the fronts should match the center, wouldn't a second set of fronts have to match also? Or, are the extra set merely a second set of back surround speakers which handle mostly sound effects and hence matching is less critical?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
No, rears as well as surrounds.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post

I understand that the extra set of speakers in a 7.1 set up are basically a second set of front speakers. Assuming I'm correct, if the fronts should match the center, wouldn't a second set of fronts have to match also? Or, are the extra set merely a second set of back surround speakers which handle mostly sound effects and hence matching is less critical?

A typical 7.x setup is Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, and Surround Back L/R. So. In your case, you would have the three Pioneer up front and can use the former KLH Fronts as Surround L/R and the KLH satellites as rear surrounds. The only reason to put the biggest KLH speakers in the surround position is because 90% of content is still 5.x and having your BEST speakers in these places gives you a solid core 5.x setup. Matching the back four speakers to the front isn't that critical. In a DSX, Neo-X setup you have the option of only running a pair of surrounds along with 5 speakers up front in either a height or wide configuration. That will also depend on what your receiver will let you do as far as assigning amps goes. My receiver has fully assignable amp sections, so I could assign two sets of speakers to Front L/R but I would have to tinker with speaker placement in order to get them to sound decent because of differences in distance from listening position if they aren't the same.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page