Focal Chorus 814V vs. HTD Level 3... Opinions needed??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been lurking for a couple of months now and am reaching out for a little advice. My living room is 22' x 18.5" and is open to the breakfast area and kitchen. The system will be used for 35% music, 35% TV, 20% gaming, and 10% movies. I'm leaning more towards a 3.1 system and expand it later when we build our next house. I'm trying to keep it under $1700 but do not want to exceed $2000

System

Reciever - Denon AVR 1913 or 1713 (refurbs from accessories4less)
Polk Audio PSW505 (Amazon)
Focal Chorus 814V or HTD Level 3 towers with Center Channel

I understand that everyone's ear is different, but the only way to audition the HTD's is to take them up on their 30 day in home trial. I'm not bound by the Focals or HTDs, they just seem to fit the bill. Any opinions based on room size and the listening format?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Bump. I'm sure someone out there has an opinion! Am I considering the right speakers for my application? The music will mainly rock, country, and blues.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-16-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darasick View Post

Bump. I'm sure someone out there has an opinion! Am I considering the right speakers for my application? The music will mainly rock, country, and blues.

Based on the Focal and HTD speakers that I have owned - the preference goes
to the Focal

HTD is still good - however, the Focal midrange and treble detail, plus definition
is more natural and realistic.

Why did you pick the Polk PSW505

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4 of 13 Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
At normal msrp I'd say the HTD Level 3's compare favorably to the Focals re bang-for-buck. But the current deal on the Focal towers at accessories4less is quite exceptional. Speaker/sound for your dollar is an integral part of picking a speaker in my experience.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Based on the Focal and HTD speakers that I have owned - the preference goes
to the Focal
HTD is still good - however, the Focal midrange and treble detail, plus definition
is more natural and realistic.
Why did you pick the Polk PSW505

I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking into subs. The PSW505 seemed like the best bang for the buck ($189 @ Amazon). I'm a complete newb and am I'm open to any suggestions.

I've played music, both professionally and recreationally, for the last 19 years and appreciate high quality sound reproduction. It sounds like the Focals may suit that need.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
With the Focals and the 1913 from A4less you're at $1500, so you can definitely get a better sub then the Polk. The best deal right now would be an Outlaw LFM-1 plus for $500 shipped

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

If you really dont want to push your budget to its limit, and given your preferences stated in the op, this sealed 15" kit is a very good buy

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-770

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 Old 12-18-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Jay. I don't mind pushing the budget to the limits, just didn't want to if there weren't significant gains in doing so.

If I bump the sub budget to ~$500, is there any others I need to consider besides the LFM-1 like the VTF-2?

Probably going to move on this pretty quickly, the wife would like it in and set up by New Years.biggrin.gif
post #8 of 13 Old 12-18-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The PB1000 would be the other consideration

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000#.UNDl63c1X-U

The Outlaw will have more output

post #9 of 13 Old 12-20-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well everything is on it's way. I've changed is the receiver and the sub from the OP. I went with the Onkyo TX-NR616 and the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus. Unlike many of the threads that I've read here, I plan on posting my novice impressions after the set up. I should have everything set up late next week. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

I've been listening to this setup for about a week so far and have no regrets about the purchase. I ended up getting a Panasonic dmp-bdt220 after the PS3 didn't want to play Blu-Rays anymore. The Focals fit the bill perfectly and the outlaw is more sub than I need from an output standpoint, but that's a good problem to have. My only issues are with the reciever and the Zone 2 control. The reciever does not let you EQ the second zone nor does it allow you to play a digital source on zone 2. Not total deal breakers, but and inconvenience. Thank to everyone who has helped me get this together!
post #11 of 13 Old 01-01-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been listening to this setup for about a week so far and have no regrets about the purchase. I ended up getting a Panasonic dmp-bdt220 after the PS3 didn't want to play Blu-Rays anymore. The Focals fit the bill perfectly and the outlaw is more sub than I need from an output standpoint, but that's a good problem to have. My only issues are with the reciever and the Zone 2 control. The reciever does not let you EQ the second zone nor does it allow you to play a digital source on zone 2. Not total deal breakers, but and inconvenience. Thank to everyone who has helped me get this together!

Good to hear!

post #12 of 13 Old 01-01-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:

Focal is nice - continue to enjoy.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #13 of 13 Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Congrats ; )
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page