Man Cave Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-14-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
5js

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure this is the correct board but I am looking to install a secondary home theater system in a den or man cave that is approx 15' x 15'. My main room has an Onkyo 609 with Polk speakers for home theater and I have an audio room with a NAD amp and Magnepan speakers. Initially I just wanted to get a inexpensive HTIB ($400 max) but realized many of these systems don't have HDMI inputs - so that would work as I plan on having a cable box, blu-ray, and wii hooked up. I saw the Denon 1312BA on A4Less, for $270 - which I thought would be perfect but it didn't have component inputs that I needed for the wii. After looking at different receivers I found the Onkyo 515 which offers AudesseyEQ and network services which would be a great plus (I may even swap this to my primary and use the 609 in the man cave).

Anyway - in order to make this work within budget I need to find a great "value" set of speakers. I look like my best options are the Jamo S 426 HCS 3 for $130 (which I would add a $100 sub to), the Energy Take Classic 5 Pack 5.0 for $160 (again I would add a $100 sub to), or I can put together the Pioneer SP-PK21BS 5.1 system with a sub for $219. I know Definitive, and Polk also have some systems that may fit my budget.

So basically I want to stay in a $500 budget and getting a system that will fill a 15 x 15 room with fairly decent sound. Any reccomendations on speakers? or if anybody has a better reccomendation for a receiver that is a better value then the 515? Lastly - a decent sub for $100.

Thanks for your help - 5Js.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
5js

I also see the Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 for $230 which would be in budget.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-14-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
If you are only spending $500 on a 5.1 plus AVR then you are most likely going to get an HTIB.

Lack of HDMI should be a non issue,

- hook the video direct to the TV with HDMI

- and hook the audio up using optical; there will be no appreciable difference in audio qualify between DTS-HD and DTS or TrueHD and DD5.1 on a $500 system

post #4 of 8 Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 PM

Why does it have to be 5.1? Why not grab the receiver and a pair of entry level towers and just go stereo until you can grab the rest?
post #5 of 8 Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDeez View Post

Why does it have to be 5.1? Why not grab the receiver and a pair of entry level towers and just go stereo until you can grab the rest?

This ^^^ is the smartest way to spend $500...

...and don't consider a$100 sub - get a real one, and unless you are buying used, from a friend, you will not get a real sub for $100

post #6 of 8 Old 12-15-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
5js

hmm- so i guess I can assume the choices I presented are poor choices since I be talked away from them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

If you are only spending $500 on a 5.1 plus AVR then you are most likely going to get an HTIB.
Lack of HDMI should be a non issue,
- hook the video direct to the TV with HDMI
- and hook the audio up using optical; there will be no appreciable difference in audio qualify between DTS-HD and DTS or TrueHD and DD5.1 on a $500 system

Yes, I could do that, but I also like the network services that the Onkyo 515 offers. For $250 the Onkyo seems to give me everything I need. I am quite please with the sound I get from the 609.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDeez View Post

This ^^^ is the smartest way to spend $500...
...and don't consider a$100 sub - get a real one, and unless you are buying used, from a friend, you will not get a real sub for $100

I suppose that is one approach if I though I needed more of a system - but thats not really what I'm looking for here. I looking at the best HTS I can get for $500. I know I can get better for more money - but for this installation that's not necessary. For a $100 sub, I think a 12" 120W Dayton, or for a bit more I could pick up a Velodyne 10" sub, or I think for my room an Andrew Jones 8" Pioneer for $69 would be adequate.

post #7 of 8 Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you looked at craigslist in your city? Used is the best way to get value for $500 for a full 5.1 plus AVR system.

You would likely get better value for the receiver and sub, maybe 5.0 too. Also a possible for the HTIB.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
5js

Quote:

Have you looked at craigslist in your city? Used is the best way to get value for $500 for a full 5.1 plus AVR system.
You would likely get better value for the receiver and sub, maybe 5.0 too. Also a possible for the HTIB.
Yea - I likely could get a better setup for the money - but not interested in buying used. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I really think for my needs I can buy something new for <$500. Sure I could get more if I wanted to spend more - but I think there are options for a new system for $500 that will fully satisfy my needs. I just want to make sure If I'm spending $250 for an AVR - it is the best I can get for the $250 (and meets my needs) and if I'm spending $250 for a 5.1, I am getting the best I can for the $250. Thanks for the input.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page