Official Tannoy Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Well, I've yet to see an official owner's thread on this site, so damnit I'm making one. I realize that this UK brand seems to have a relatively small following here on AVS, but here's hoping it will become more well known. I recently bought new L/C/R's for my home theater in the form of the custom install Tannoy DC12i's. Previously, I was using an older set of Paradigm Focus V3's and a CC170 centre channel. Things seemed alright, but I always felt like there was room for improvement. Boy was I right. I set up my new Emotiva XPA-3 hooked up to my older Onkyo 806, then hooked up the Tannoy DC12i's and threw in the new Bourne Legacy movie.

Wow!

The crackling flames were so clear, voices were localized all over my AT screen in the right places, gunfire was super impactful - just a monumental leap in audio fidelity. Yes, these speakers are a lot more money than my old ones, but for the money I think these things are a steal.

In Canada, London Drugs (a drug store no less!) sells Tannoy speakers. Initially, I thought they must be garbage (anything new that I haven't heard of before must be garbage, right?). Anyhow, after doing some research, I realized that this brand of speaker is very highly regarded in the UK and I'm very proud that my local pharmacy carries their brand. Damn that sounds weird. At any rate, in my hometown, this "drug store" is becoming highly regarded, as they have also begun to sell new vinyl records and high quality record players - people are beginning to listen to real music again and not compressed MP3 crap.

So, in my situation for my home theater, I was unable to use floorstanders, but still wanted real punch to my front setup. I came across Cinema JBL stuff and Klipsch stuff but damn was it expensive. I chanced upon a really good deal with this Tannoy DC12i speaker and I'm really glad I did. I don't have a whole lot to compare it to, but the sound to me is absolutely phenomenal. Check them out:

http://www.tannoy.com/residentialsummary.aspx

For what it's worth, if you're Canadian like me, don't discount the Tannoy brand over the Klipsch - the Klipsch's may provide more punch, but from the reviews I've read the Tannoy's are incredibly clear and precise. You can often find some stellar deals at the store as well. Keep your eyes out. If I hadn't found such a deal on the custom install line, I would have gone for the Tannoy Saturn bookshelves. They look fantastic.

Any Tannoy owners care to share their thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This is the closest thing to an 'official' Tannoy thread, although it doesn't have the word 'official' in the title: smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/806904/tannoy-owners-thread

I'm down to my last 57 Tannoy speakers/drivers biggrin.gif ...none of the high dollar older stuff though, and 14 of them aren't even true Dual-Concentrics (they're ICT's).

3 CMS12 (the exact same drivers as the DC12i you have)
4 System 1000
2 System 800
3 System 800a (amplified)
3 S8IW inwall
2 Saturn S8C
7 CMS8 in-ceiling
(also 2 really cool AMS8 plate amplifiers)
8 CMS6 in-ceiling
7 I6AW outdoor
4 I6MP (amplified version of I6AW)

I've ran into a few Tannoy owners on the AVS -- most notably DS-21, Face2, and Coctostan -- and other admirers too, but they all hang out primarily in the DIY area and are also into other speakers as well (as am I). smile.gif

I've always been surprised at the lack of notoriety that Tannoy gets on the forums.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Suggestions as to where to buy Tannoy speakers in the US? The point source series (Revolution, Precision, Definition) look very interesting to me.
post #4 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Suggestions as to where to buy Tannoy speakers in the US? The point source series (Revolution, Precision, Definition) look very interesting to me

I bought mine from hifiheaven. They have the really high end stuff, although the definition series, as stated above is really quite a deal considering what you get. I'm pretty confident that they are the last HT speakers I'm ever going to buy. I got absolutely soaked by shipping and brokerage fees, but it was still worth it. For the lower end (but still great) stuff, maybe you need to buy from Canada (London Drugs)? Wow, now that sounds weird saying that.

I didn't see the Tannoy owners thread, although I did search for it. At any rate, this thread is "official", says me. smile.gif

post #5 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Looking at the Tannoy site and clicking 'Sales and Service', this is the regional sales rep for your area:

Morris Tait & Associates - Southern California
Address
23342 Madero Road E
Mission Viejo
CA

Contacts

Phone 949-472-6482
Fax 949-855-4254
Email Brenda@morristait.com

That might be part of their problem -- you'd think they would want to list the direct dealer network on their main website? rolleyes.gif

They are much more of an installed sound / sound reinforcement company I suppose.

There are a few online sites that seem to carry Tannoy if you Google, but I have no experience with any of them.
post #6 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

This is the Tannoy speaker I would like to have:

Tannoy VQ 60! It uses a sweet BMS 4592 coaxial compression driver in the horn and a pair of semi-horn loaded 12's. 138 dB continuous, 144 dB max. OK, I know, massive, massive overkill for home use, but pretty cool nonetheless. Hard to get the scale of it by the pic -- it is 36" x 27" x 20" and weighs 170 lbs. smile.gif

I actually have some BMS coax drivers and JBL 2226 15's and would love to make a quasi-clone of the Tannoy.
post #7 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Can't top Aaron, but I'm a long-time Tannoy fan. Current collection is (I think):

3x System 12 DMT II's (in bespoke sealed cabinets by Nathan Funk)
3x System 8 NFM II's
3x CPA12
2x Saturn S8iw
2x CMS8
2x i8AW
4x Arena eggs (two grey, two white with faux-Saarinen floor stands)
TS10 sub

In the past, I've also had System 800s, and a B475 subwoofer (same 18" drive-unit as the Kingdom). Also the Precision 8 monitors (good riddance!)

I'm currently not using any of them, alas. The 12 DMT II's are the best speakers I've ever set up by some margin. However, they're just too wide to harmoniously blend into my current living room. So I've had to go in a different direction.

The CPA12's and CMS8's are going into my sister's basement theater, along with some non-Tannoy bass drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Well, I've yet to see an official owner's thread on this site, so damnit I'm making one. I realize that this UK brand seems to have a relatively small following here on AVS, but here's hoping it will become more well known. I recently bought new L/C/R's for my home theater in the form of the custom install Tannoy DC12i's. Previously, I was using an older set of Paradigm Focus V3's and a CC170 centre channel. Things seemed alright, but I always felt like there was room for improvement. Boy was I right. I set up my new Emotiva XPA-3 hooked up to my older Onkyo 806, then hooked up the Tannoy DC12i's and threw in the new Bourne Legacy movie.

Yeah, going from OK speakers to great ones makes a big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Suggestions as to where to buy Tannoy speakers in the US? The point source series (Revolution, Precision, Definition) look very interesting to me.

Tannoy doesn't seem to be terribly pushed about establishing a real presence in the US consumer audio market, for whatever reason. Maybe it's just a hobby/prestige thing for them, with the professional side making the actual money. Also, the supertweeter line (TD12, etc.) was a colossal sonic failure, and that couldn't have helped sales.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #8 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 AM

Liked: 10
I'm totaly new but heck, mayne someone likes to read my few words on the topic.
I've been listening to 40 different floor standing speakers and with no knowladge about prices I picked the tannoy mercury V4 as m favorites.

They will be in within a week. The sound was warm and full and i'm mostly concerned about the music and 25% for home cinema. The speakers are great with the marantz sr5007 I think so at the end of the week my journey will begin. I will post a review in about two weeks. Then the speakers will be played in and the real experience can start.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

There's a set of D700's on eBay right now. One of the best speakers I've ever heard. I thought about bidding myself but can't justify buying a new pair of speakers when I'm currently having three new front speakers made.

(No relation to seller whatsoever, never seen/heard the actual speakers for sale, etc.)

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #10 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW22 View Post

I'm totaly new but heck, mayne someone likes to read my few words on the topic.
I've been listening to 40 different floor standing speakers and with no knowladge about prices I picked the tannoy mercury V4 as m favorites.
They will be in within a week. The sound was warm and full and i'm mostly concerned about the music and 25% for home cinema. The speakers are great with the marantz sr5007 I think so at the end of the week my journey will begin. I will post a review in about two weeks. Then the speakers will be played in and the real experience can start.

Congrats on your purchase! The Dual Concentric is what put Tannoy on the map and many feel there is magic there, but I just did a bit of reading and your Mercury's with their conventional midrange/tweeter layout seem to be well-received as well. That really says something that they won out of 40 speakers you listened to. smile.gif
post #11 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

There's a set of D700's on eBay right now. One of the best speakers I've ever heard. I thought about bidding myself but can't justify buying a new pair of speakers when I'm currently having three new front speakers made.

Jay, I agree with the 10" Dual's attributes; the System 1000's I have are a great blending of the 8's and 12's qualities. Those D700's certainly wouldn't be a 'budget' purchase with the bid price currently at $1465 shipped with a little over a day left.

It's funny you mentioned not using any of your collection currently -- I'm using precisely one of mine these days (an S8C as center in my family room along with LS-6 line arrays). It's a good stopgap as I ponder the idea of getting the expensive LS-C dedicated center to go with the arrays (that I love but they are just really big). I will implement many of the others (the outdoor speakers primarily) down the road.

Keep me in the loop on progress on your 'skunkworks' LCR project you are working on. As you know, I've some of those too and am interested in the results. smile.gif
post #12 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Hm ...
HiFi Heaven and Morris Tate only carry the more expensive speaker series (and both have rotten return/audition policies).
London Drugs (in Canada) has an extremely limited selection which doesn't include the series I mentioned.

Any other suggestions? Maybe Tannoy just isn't interested in the US market?
post #13 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I watched the Bourne Legacy last night with my wife. There was a scene where a missile comes right at the screen. She jumped out of her seat! Seriously, for what they cost, they are a bargain. I went to the Reference level speaker thread and the DC12i's are right up there and scored well. FWIW, hifiheaven is selling 3 of them and two fat subs (display models) for a ridiculous price. I bought their display models (3 for the price of one) and they shipped all the way across the US and up into Canada in arrived in perfect shape. In fact, I think one of them was brand new, as the speaker plugs still had the plastic in them where the banana plugs would go. I would tell my friends to jump on the deal, but none of them are as into it as I am.

Anyway, it's great to see there's some life in this thread. I'm hoping that there are some of us from Canada who have realized that Tannoy makes some great speakers and will go out and buy some and post their thoughts. smile.gif

post #14 of 24 Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Hello Aaron, For me it is a little strange that I picked these front standing speakers over almost 40 other options (also bookshelf speakers but still). And then finding out that these are not the most exspensive is really nice. So at that point there was no hesitation on buying them anymore.

For getting them played in is there some 'best' protocol? Just curious. Again, in about 2 weeks i will post a review of the speakers. They will be used with the marantz SR5007, also new. ;-)
post #15 of 24 Old 12-17-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post

It's funny you mentioned not using any of your collection currently ***

True, that requires some explanation.

The 12 DMT II's are the best speakers I've yet deployed, hands down. However, I'm not using them for now (or the foreseeable future) simply because they're too large to look good in my current living room. That matters, too. (Not gonna hide behind "WAF." The issue is "MeAF.")

I could've designed and commissioned new cabinets for the 8 NFM II Dual Concentrics, along with perhaps helper woofers to keep excursion on the Dual down (a better version of the JTR Triple 8, if you will). The reason I didn't boils down to pattern. My room is very wide. One the left, the distance to the right speaker is less than the distance to the same-side wall, and on the right the distance to the same-side wall is less than the distance to the opposite-side wall! (Left and right speakers set up as equilateral triangle crossing about two feet in front of the listening position.) So to get more spaciousness in this room, a wider pattern than the ~90deg offered by the Tannoy Dual Concentric is in order. That's also why I'm keeping the 12 DMT II's and 8 NFM II's. They may end up being a better fit in my next home. Perhaps in different cabinets (or not), perhaps with some crossover tweaks (or not).

PS: I forgot one above. I owned a pair of Precision 8's for a while. Bloody horrible speakers, probably the worst I've ever owned. Nearfield or farfield. They (along with the TD12) really made me wonder how badly Mark Booth's departure for KEF hurt Tannoy. (The same gentleman who modernized the Tannoy Dual Concentric with his annular "Tulip" phase plug did the same with the KEF Uni-Q, improving its off-axis response up top with the radial "Tangerine" phase plug.) Fortunately, they seem to be done with the supertweeter fetish, and some of their newer designs look interesting. Or would, if they were sold anywhere near me.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #16 of 24 Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

True, that requires some explanation.
The 12 DMT II's are the best speakers I've yet deployed, hands down. However, I'm not using them for now (or the foreseeable future) simply because they're too large to look good in my current living room. That matters, too. (Not gonna hide behind "WAF." The issue is "MeAF.")

Yes, I should have prefaced as such as I've read your blog posts and seen the new digs. You are funny -- totally kick ass mains, but they aren't getting the fashion police's approval...and you are the one with the badge. smile.gif

I was actually going to post responding to your latest blog entry speaking about the Electrovoice CPS 8.5 amp -- specifically regarding David Rich's less than glowing review of the QSC DCA 1222...did he not like the 'sound'? tongue.gif -- but was having issues signing in with my Google account and don't have an account for any of the other options. I'll see if I can get it figured out.

Better to hold on to the good stuff and wait than sell and wish you hadn't later, IMHO. smile.gif
post #17 of 24 Old 12-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW22 View Post

Hello Aaron, For me it is a little strange that I picked these front standing speakers over almost 40 other options (also bookshelf speakers but still). And then finding out that these are not the most exspensive is really nice. So at that point there was no hesitation on buying them anymore.
For getting them played in is there some 'best' protocol? Just curious. Again, in about 2 weeks i will post a review of the speakers. They will be used with the marantz SR5007, also new. ;-)

As for 'breaking' them in, simply play music and enjoy. smile.gif
post #18 of 24 Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Proud to be a Tannoy owner here in Canada. My dealer for the longest time kept telling me how good Tannoy speakers were. I was happy with my PSB speakers (old Image series). I finally made the jump to Tannoy by purchasing the Eyris DC3, DCC and DC1. Fantastic speakers for music and HT.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers
post #19 of 24 Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've been using Tannoy speakers in my HT since 2006. I haven't had any problem until recently. I have to get one of my front speakers refoamed or re-edged.

I've got the Tannoy Sensys & Sensys DC line.

Tannoy Sensys DC1 (R & L front)
Tannoy Sensys R (surround)
Tannoy Senssys DCC (center)
TS10 sub
IC6 DC ( I use this in ceiling speaker as my 6th speaker in the far rear)
post #20 of 24 Old 03-06-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Good evening fellow Tannoyites and those wanting to be one of us...

I have ran the DC12i [L-C-R], IW63DC [LS-RS] and DC15i Sub x 2 w/ IW500D amp for about 3-4 years old [have to check PO records when I signed up] or so with nothing but praise.

Now if anyone was interested in this setup I could be talked out of them or perhaps line one up with new Tannoy's wink.gif

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #21 of 24 Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 376

Tannoy has some really great speakers

post #22 of 24 Old 07-08-2013, 03:56 PM

Liked: 11
I have 5 Tannoy Precision 8 speakers for my setup (L,R,C,RR,RL) and I have the Tannoy TS-12 12" powered sub also. The TS-12 stopped working so I'm on the market for a replacement. I love the Tannoy speakers!
post #23 of 24 Old 08-23-2013, 01:27 PM

Didn't want to open a new thread, being a newbie, so does anyone here have his or her Mercury V1/VR/VC's mounted on the wall using the pre-drilled holes in the back of the speakers?

According to the manual those pre-drilled mounting holes use 'standard 60mm spacing. The thread in the inserts is M5.' You'd think it would be easy to find brackets that actually use these mounting holes and can hold the speakers up.

I have however looked all over the internet, including this forum, but am not able to find such brackets. There are of course a plethora of other options, but most of them involve drilling into the speakers, which I am not willing to do, or using clamping devices, which I do not like because all of them are very visible: either on the front of the speaker or, for side-clamping brackets, under and behind it.

The perfect bracket would be small, hidden from view behind the speaker, use the predrilled inserts and be able to hold up a 5kg/11lbs speaker.
Has anyone here used or seen such a bracket?
post #24 of 24 Old 05-02-2014, 11:04 AM

Hi:

I just "inherited" four Saturn SC6 speakers.  What is the best way to put them to use?  Are they properly used as ordinary speaker pairs or are they special purpose units?

Thx

David

Reply Speakers