Speaker Dilemma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2012, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
ok, I have a dilemma here guys. my home theater room is 12 feet wide on the soundstage side. I have a 120 inch projector screen taking up 8 feet of it... and 2 THT subs bracketing the the PJ screen in the front corner...

now I have the Polk Monitor 70's as mains right now and the CS2 as the center....

now with TWO THT's (one on each corner) I LITERALLY have no room for my M70's... (they're go 4 inches into the projector screen's bottom and I have no more height to raise the screen any more)... and I have NO room on the sides of the screen due to the massive THT's

now the only room I have is to wall mount them above the subs in the corner on something like shelves.....

being that I have MORE than enough low frequencies covered with the THT's, are their any good Bookshelves that could match the Highs and mids output of the Monitor 70's??? I cross my M70's at 80hz right now since it is a 100% Home Theater setup, no music listening. would the M40's be enough? or are there any reasonably priced Bookshelves that could even BETTER the M70's (as I said not looking to match the M70's LOWS...which I'm wasting with the 80hz crossover).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would recommend looking into the def tech studio monitors. I haven't heard the newer ones, but they are supposed to be an improvement over the previous models. I own the sm350 after being blown away at their quality when I auditioned them. Most likely either the 55 or 65 well be what you are looking for. The studio monitors are reasonably priced, but depending on your budget the older 350 and 450 can be had for good deals on newegg.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post

I would recommend looking into the def tech studio monitors. I haven't heard the newer ones, but they are supposed to be an improvement over the previous models. I own the sm350 after being blown away at their quality when I auditioned them. Most likely either the 55 or 65 well be what you are looking for. The studio monitors are reasonably priced, but depending on your budget the older 350 and 450 can be had for good deals on newegg.

I was actually looking at them on newegg this morning, but it seems that an appropriate matching center for those things is nowhere to be found and I'd really assume my CS2 wouldn't be timer matched with those mofos

the 55's and 65's are kinda outside my price range ($900 for a pair of 65's and $600 for a pair of $55's)....hell my Monitor 70 towers and CS2 center only cost me $400 COMBINED
Old 12-15-2012, 06:47 AM

I just bought a c/l/r of craigslist for $185 including shipping. It's the recommended match for the 350.

But, I missed your comment about the center channel. If you plan to keep that, then you would want to stay with Polk. It looks like the monitor 40 would be the best match for a bookshelf.

I know what you mean by budget. I bought my sm350s last year used for $220 with stands.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just bought a c/l/r of craigslist for $185 including shipping. It's the recommended match for the 350.
But, I missed your comment about the center channel. If you plan to keep that, then you would want to stay with Polk. It looks like the monitor 40 would be the best match for a bookshelf.

oh, I don't mind selling my CS2 if necessary, I just read several other threads saying that the Def Tech Monitors were mean't more for music and didn't really have a C channel to go with them.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:10 AM

I believe the 80x0hd centers would match the new monitors. An old clr 2002 matches the 350 and cor 1000 matches the 450.

You are correct that there is no studio monitor center marketed as a match. Def tech uses similar drivers across different speakers. Extrapolating from what I have to the current line, I believe those should match. I think I've seen Joe g from def tech recommends it in the def tech thread. If nothing else, a third studio monitor of the same type would be an exact match for the newer ones which are sold individually rather than as a pair.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe the 80x0hd centers would match the new monitors. An old clr 2002 matches the 350 and cor 1000 matches the 450.
You are correct that there is no studio monitor center marketed as a match. Def tech uses similar drivers across different speakers. Extrapolating from what I have to the current line, I believe those should match. I think I've seen Joe g from def tech recommends it in the def tech thread. If nothing else, a third studio monitor of the same type would be an exact match for the newer ones which are sold individually rather than as a pair.

true, a 3rd monitor would work (and probably work better being that it isn't the compromised "horizontal" speakers)
Old 12-15-2012, 07:37 AM

The 45 probably is still a good speaker. It's probably closer to the 350 with the 65 having two of the same midrange driver.

Thinking about it a little more now, the 45s as l/r and 65 as center could be really nice for home theater since there is more emphasis on the center compared to music.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 45 probably is still a good speaker. It's probably closer to the 350 with the 65 having two of the same midrange driver.
Thinking about it a little more now, the 45s as l/r and 65 as center could be really nice for home theater since there is more emphasis on the center compared to music.

the 45 not the 450 correct???

that's an interesting combo there. a bit outside my price range since the 65 is $450 alone.

I wouldnt' mind pushing $500 for L/C/R but $900 ish is kinda pushing it.

just for sh!ts and giggles and knowing HOW I'm going to be using it. would the M40/M45 be a loss in sound fidelity/quality/quantity from my M70's being that I cross them over at 80hz and use the subs for the low end?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 AM

That was 45s, not 450s. It was more dreaming of a nice setup using current model def tech bookshelves with a sub. If you went with the older studio monitors, I would recommend 350s and finding the clr 2002 on a search of all craigslist and finding someone willing to ship it.

As to sticking with Polk, I thought I mentioned above that the monitor 40s were the best match for your current center. Since you are using subs, I expect you would get near identical to current sound quality. Those use the exact same drivers and tweeters as your towers and center. It would certainly be your easiest solution changing the left and right and selling the towers as opposed to all three. If you don't mind selling all three the sm350s and clr 2002 would probably be a little step up.

Either way, newegg has good prices on either pair of bookshelves. What you get there will determine whether to keep the center or sell it and look for the used def tech.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was 45s, not 450s. It was more dreaming of a nice setup using current model def tech bookshelves with a sub. If you went with the older studio monitors, I would recommend 350s and finding the clr 2002 on a search of all craigslist and finding someone willing to ship it.
As to sticking with Polk, I thought I mentioned above that the monitor 40s were the best match for your current center. Since you are using subs, I expect you would get near identical to current sound quality. Those use the exact same drivers and tweeters as your towers and center. It would certainly be your easiest solution changing the left and right and selling the towers as opposed to all three. If you don't mind selling all three the sm350s and clr 2002 would probably be a little step up.
Either way, newegg has good prices on either pair of bookshelves. What you get there will determine whether to keep the center or sell it and look for the used def tech.

kewl, my MAIN worry would be that the M40's would be a step down from the M70's in my situation,,,, (hell I can get a pair of those on newegg for $109 right now). but If I could get a nice upgrade with another brand for about $500 or less for the 3 fronts I'd jump on that and just sell the Polks...
Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked: 11
If you have space behind your screen , you can place your speakers there ( provided you have AT screen)

Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymalya View Post

If you have space behind your screen , you can place your speakers there ( provided you have AT screen)

unfortunately not, I have a fixed to the wall Draper Cineperm 120 inch screen .. it's mounted flush
Old 12-15-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
What about three of these:
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/10in-waveguide-kits/seos-karma10-kit.html

You seem open to DIY, and these would be a big step up over Polk for home theater.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

What about three of these:
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/10in-waveguide-kits/seos-karma10-kit.html
You seem open to DIY, and these would be a big step up over Polk for home theater.

oooo, ok, I was wondering about those. I was asking about them in the DIY forum and another member mentioned that I should go with the Delta 12 kits ($300 a pop).... so I kinda winced thinking he meant that's the first stages of seeing improvments over the m70s.....

if the Karma 10's are a big step up over the polks I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. I love DIY... me and my buddy build 3 of the THT's (2 for me one for him) and have been itching at building something more.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

being that I have MORE than enough low frequencies covered with the THT's, are their any good Bookshelves that could match the Highs and mids output of the Monitor 70's?.
A better question is whether there are any commercial alternatives that can even vaguely approach the capability of your THTs within your stated price range. The answer is no. With those THTs and an 8 foot screen a $500 budget for off the shelf L/C/R is like sticking a VW bug engine into a Mercedes 550.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

oooo, ok, I was wondering about those. I was asking about them in the DIY forum and another member mentioned that I should go with the Delta 12 kits ($300 a pop).... so I kinda winced thinking he meant that's the first stages of seeing improvments over the m70s.....
if the Karma 10's are a big step up over the polks I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. I love DIY... me and my buddy build 3 of the THT's (2 for me one for him) and have been itching at building something more.

Well the Delta 12kits would be even better, but I am trying to keep it into your price range. I still have to believe the Karma's are a big upgrade. They are much better for home theater than the entry level line Polks.

How about buying 2 Delta kits and running in phantom center mode until you can save up for the third?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the Delta 12kits would be even better, but I am trying to keep it into your price range. I still have to believe the Karma's are a big upgrade. They are much better for home theater than the entry level line Polks.
How about buying 2 Delta kits and running in phantom center mode until you can save up for the third?

hmmm, very well could work as well. Phantom centers work damn well from my previous outings....

call me stupid on this one (speakers aren't my speciality). but aren't the main advantages of the delta 12's over the karma 10's their ability to go lower with the bigger woofer??? and having the THT's would there be a need? or are there other advantages to upgrading to the Delta 12's that I'm not seeing?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

A better question is whether there are any commercial alternatives that can even vaguely approach the capability of your THTs within your stated price range. The answer is no. With those THTs and an 8 foot screen a $500 budget for off the shelf L/C/R is like sticking a VW bug engine into a Mercedes 550.

lol, yeah, that's why I've been perusing the DIY forum and looking at the SLA/TLAH sets on your site as well. I'm trying to sniff out all my options first
Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hmmm, very well could work as well. Phantom centers work damn well from my previous outings....
call me stupid on this one (speakers aren't my speciality). but aren't the main advantages of the delta 12's over the karma 10's their ability to go lower with the bigger woofer??? and having the THT's would there be a need? or are there other advantages to upgrading to the Delta 12's that I'm not seeing?

They will play lower and have an upgraded tweeter. That said, I am not sure how much improvent you will really see over the Karma 10 considering you will not be crossing over under 80hz.

Bill, as usual, is spot on. You are not going to touch a DIY solution on your tight budget with commercial speakers. I think you are on the right track.

After my DIY sub build, I really want to do a cool in-wall line array. Bill F pointed me in the right direction, but building crossovers from scratch intimidates the hell out of me smile.gif

Need to buy some books. smile.gif
Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They will play lower and have an upgraded tweeter. That said, I am not sure how much improvent you will really see over the Karma 10 considering you will not be crossing over under 80hz.
Bill, as usual, is spot on. You are not going to touch a DIY solution on your tight budget with commercial speakers. I think you are on the right track.
After my DIY sub build, I really want to do a cool in-wall line array. Bill F pointed me in the right direction, but building crossovers from scratch intimidates the hell out of me smile.gif
Need to buy some books. smile.gif

gotcha, I'll ask Erich on his expertise in the rallying thread about the difference.

lol, I can understand that, crossovers scare the hell out of me too. I haven't even installed a pre-built one and it's intimidating just looking at the drawings biggrin.gif