Jamo THX One LCR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone familiar with these? Provide any documentation links or reviews? Release year?
I have an opportunity to buy three (Front stage) of these Jamo THX One LCR speakers tomorrow. For what I see as a low price. ($250~) It looks like they were replaced by the D500/600 which have pretty good reviews.
I always loved my Atlantic Tech stuff and their THX cert'd stuff is great. So I imagined these would be decent.
Anyone know anything about them or has anyone heard them? I just bought a second AT set for the bedroom - but would love to branch out from AT - so figured I could pick these up and give them a listen since the price seems so low.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Well I got them - very brief listening - thought they were great.
Will put them thru their paces later this week. But think I did well.

Another note - i scored some Polk RT800's for 70 bucks - after much research seems like a great bargain buy on paper. We will see!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am interested in your thoughts regarding the Jamo's. I have heard the D500 briefly and thought they sounded pretty good.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 AM

Liked: 10
I have a set of these i.e. the 3 LCRs, they go with the 2 "surround ones" and the 2 "sub ones". I might have a set of the manuals if you are interested? They have filters in them that cut off everything below 80Hz so you really will need a sub. I have the centre and surrounds wall mounted and the L&R are mounted on the subs to keep them coincident and the imaging tight as per the THX spec.

I bought them new in 1999 and keep auditioning home cinema gear but cannot justify changing them they are just so amazing. If you are looking for Hi-Fi music reproduction they are pretty average, considering the price, (I only ever use them for background which they are ideal for) but are totally stunning for film soundtracks. The main cause for complaint is the potentially fluffy bass so you need a great amp to keep the subs under control and I strongly suggest you calibrate them so get an amp with eq that will let you do this. I use a Pioneer VSX1016K with a Parasound HCA1000 power amp driving the subs in stereo.

When friends come around and watch a film with me (65" 3D screen too) they are always gobsmacked.... and my neighbours must hate me but if you turn up the volume you can't hear them knocking anyway! biggrin.gif

Here is a pic showing the Subs and Surrounds.

Have fun smile.gif
Old 01-03-2013, 06:09 AM

Info Update on Jamo THX One, LCR, Sub and Surround

The Jamo web sites back then (i.e. 1998 before the Klipsch group takeover) were www.jamo.co.uk and www.jamospeakers.com, you can find info on the wayback machine archive. Here is a link: The original Jamo THX One page from the Wayback Machine internet archive.

Here is a scan of the original manual, it covers all three speakers:
Jamo LCR One Sub One Surround One.pdf 2836k .pdf file

and finally.... I also have the Jamo Surround Sound & High Fidelity 98/99 glossy sales booklet but unfortunately I only have feeder style scanners. With a little ecouragement I am sure I could find a way to circumvent this but I do need somone to ask me.

Happy listening.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jamo LCR One Sub One Surround One.pdf (2.77 MB, 203 views)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:24 PM

I have a complete 5.1 system since around 1999 and have not use them that much. Because they're so old I have to replace some speakers on them because the speakers have ripped off due to age, so i replaced them with just what ever i can find that matches in size.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
How are they? Compared to your AT gear(which at stuff do you have? I love my system 450e THX)

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 01-07-2013, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav7414 View Post

I have a complete 5.1 system since around 1999 and have not use them that much. Because they're so old I have to replace some speakers on them because the speakers have ripped off due to age, so i replaced them with just what ever i can find that matches in size.

I have not had the age problem yet but there are some of the original drive units for sale on Ebay in the UK at the moment. I just got a a new woofer unit for one of my surround speakers for a £10, I destroyed the coil in this by turning them up too loud at a party rather than the foams failing! rolleyes.gif
Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 PM

Hi,

I recently picked up a set of these speaker, hooked up to a Onkyo TX-NR905.

Problem is i've got clipping at moderate volumes (-35 db) , the amp turns it's self off via some protection circuit.

I've got the front subs bi-amp off the 6th and 7th channels, with the setup at 4 ohms inside the amp config section

Given that the Amp should apply an internal cross over to the outputs, what terminal block should one use on the LCRs ones?

Assume its Direct (top one) for L/R Speakers, and the Filtered block for the centre speaker ?

If the TX-NR905 is not capable of driving this setup up, what amps would be a good fit ? Arcam AVR-350 ??

Cheers

Jason
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 AM

Hi Jason

From the Jamo manual:

LCR One Surround/Centre
The upper terminal is used for "free field" location such as on the sub or TV set, the lower is to be used if the speaker is wall mounted. These are 4 ohm impedance speakers.

Sub One
The sub has an 8 ohm impedance so if you are connecting to one amp output per speaker then configure as 8ohms. If you wire both subs in parralel to a single amp output then you get 4 ohms. I guess this might be the issue.

Sorry I am not familiar with your amp but I found the manual on line. I use the sub pre-out and run a separate amp for the subs this is what the av dealer recommended, the manual for your amp recommends the same. It looks from amp the manual as if you can use the bi-amp facility on your amp to drive the subs but the Sub one drive units are huge (Massive) so need a lot of grunt from an amp to get them moving properly which might be why you are getting clipping as the amp struggles to run them. The other problem I can see is that you have a mis matched impedance, the tops are 4 and the bottoms 8, this might be causing problems.

Sorry no definite answers.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM

hi,

I got the same speakers ( Jamo LCR SUB ONE ) i love them, great buy.

I blew the tweeters on them, cant find any replacements. Amy ideas? recommendations?

was thinking about cutting into the speaker box and remolding new tweeters.

any help would be great, i really love these things.

i think maybe the receiver i had on em for awhile was under powering them.

for now i have cheep tweeters i bought online and set in there, behind the old tweeter cap.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:02 PM

I have compared them to my 350THX, and I found interesting differences..not sure what to ascribe them to.
Say with a music track from a less-than-perfect source, the Jamo have a much more...pleasing sound. But place high quality music through both sets and you will find the ATs come alive. Typically I would ascribe what I got with the ATs to a much higher quality speaker reproducing a poor quality recording. The defects in the recording come out. But I am not sure, there was something different about this experience.
The ATs are fantastic watching a blu ray or listening to high quality music. The Jamos are also awesome and I guess they hide poor quality a little better...again it was strange. If I did not know how the 350THX sounded with other stuff already I would assume something was wrong with them.
The Jamos are definitely more detailed but much warmer than my AT 2400 set, meaning if you found a set of the Jamos used you will likely get way more bang for buck than spending twice the amount on a new system. With music at least the Jamos are some of the most pleasant/warm sounding speakers I have ever heard, very enjoyable. They do come alive with movies, get dynamic and loud.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:36 AM

If you look on Ebay they sometimes have the drivers new on there, I got a mid range unitfor a Surround ONE new and boxed earier this year. Jamo no longer stock them.