HT Bookshelf upgrade: Monitor Audio vs. Wharfedale vs. Emotiva vs. Aperion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
MA Silver RX 1 or 2 vs Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or 2 vs Emotiva XRC 5.1 or 6.1 or XRM 6.1 vs Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf

I'm looking to upgrade my aging Energy XL's to an HT setup using the above bookshelf models for the Mains/Center. Does anybody here have direct experience with any two or more of these models, so as to share their experiences in comparing the two?

These are the only speakers in which I am interested and I am not interested on spending any more for other brands or getting the towers instead, etc.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-16-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 253
The RX-2 has an 8-inch bass driver, and would certainly be my choice if no subwoofer is going to be used. It is over $1000 per pair, however, so you are paying for the extra quality and bass performance.

I think the Diamond 10.2 is an excellent speaker for only $450 per pair and the Diamond CS is $300, and might be my first choice if a subwoofer is going to be part of the system.

Those are the two speakers I would consider the best of the group.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Aperion Grand bookshelf is a nice bookshelf. Free shipping both ways with a full refund within the 30 day in home trial its a no brainer to try them out. There is no best of the group, only personal preference.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/verus-grand-review
post #4 of 17 Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The RX-2 has an 8-inch bass driver, and would certainly be my choice if no subwoofer is going to be used. It is over $1000 per pair, however, so you are paying for the extra quality and bass performance.
I think the Diamond 10.2 is an excellent speaker for only $450 per pair and the Diamond CS is $300, and might be my first choice if a subwoofer is going to be part of the system.
The rx2 is $850/pair on Amazon, but that is more than I want to spend. But you think the Wharfedales outperform the Monitor Audio RX1's? I can't even audition Wharfedale in Portland, so I have no way of actually listening to them myself.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and these will be paired with a sub. My limit is $350/speaker, so all of these are well within my limit.

Since the Emotiva XRC's are so much more expensive(comparatively) and all the reviews have said they're great for the money, I'd figured they might perform better than the others here.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody else have anything to add?
post #7 of 17 Old 12-24-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 170
The Emotivas are lower sensitivity and 4 ohm. The MA is 6 ohm. What AVR will you be using?

The Emotiva is front ported. The MA is rear ported. Will rear ports create a placement problem?

Although I have heard both brands I have not listened to your choices. IMO the MA speakers can be a little brighter than the Emo. Some will call it the MA more detailed,
post #8 of 17 Old 12-24-2012, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 being used as a 2.0 system and I feel they're a great value. I paid 279 for the pair and they sound fantastic, even without a sub. I've heard a lot of great things about MA but many, including MUDCAT, say they can be a bit bright. It's your money so only you can decide which sounds best within your budget. I wouldn't hesitate to add a center and surrounds to my 10.1s to create a 5.1/7.1 system, especially given their price/performance value.

Also, check out the Dali Zensor series...a fantastic speaker as well.

Good luck!
post #9 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Where did you go to pay $279 for the 10.1s?
post #10 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delayed response, Mudcat. The speakers will be between 12-20" from the front wall. I was going with the Emotiva XPA-5 and the Emotiva UMC-200 but I'm not sure I want the headache of dealing with bugs and glitches. Right now I'm thinking the Pioneer Elite sc-65.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post

Where did you go to pay $279 for the 10.1s?
you can check musicdirect.com they might have some demo units or photoshoot units on sale for about that price.

The Dali Zensor are very nice speakers as the guy noted above if you can find them.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #12 of 17 Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM

I'm getting VERY close to pulling the trigger on either the RX1 or RX2.

I was able to find a place who had them (not easy in SoCal) and I was able to try them head-to-head against:

Klipsch RB61 II

PSB Image B6

Polk RTiA3

Energy Veritas (forget the model)

Previous to hearing the MA speakers, I had short-listed the PSB ones. But the RX1 & RX2 just shredded the PSB. It was a night and day difference to my ears. Either the RX2 needed more power to really shine, or the RX1 is just the boss, because the two speakers sounded extremely similar, with the nod still going to the bigger RX2.

The Polks pretty well came in last. Not bad, but they didn't tug at my heart.

The Klipsch were loud and clean (as would be expected) but when compared A/B to the Monitor Audio speakers, it make the Klipsch sound like the highers were spacking me right in the forehead. Talk about forward imaging.

In any event, the Silvers do cost quite a bit more than the others (the PSB was closer in cost), but after hearing them in person, and seeing how beautifully they're constructed, I'm screwed. I'll be spending more money than I had planned. Now I'm just trying to decide between the RX1 & RX2.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 254
^How big is your room? How loud do you listen? Will you be using subwoofer(s)?

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 03:49 PM

I have a relatively large room. But I honestly don't place much stock in that. I'm not going to buy cheap, huge floor standers just to arbitrarily fill up the space.
My listening habits will vary. Probably equal music / HT. Not terribly loud, as I have a family, and it's just going to be in the family room. Not in some dedicated entertainment room.

Note, I'm going from a broken old Energy Take 5 system and an equally old Sony AV receiver (pre-HDMI). So, I'm starting totally from scratch. I have a Denon 2113CI sitting in a box, ready to power whatever I buy. I will certainly be getting a new sub. And I would imagine that I would almost always run the system 2.1 for music. Why not? With the modern crossover control in the Denon, I can fine-tune things to get the very best out of the speakers, and let the sub fill in the holes that no bookshelf can ever handle.

That being said, I have a suspicion that when it comes time to buy (and unless I hear something else which blows my mind for the same money) I'll likely spring for the bigger RX2. I think I can survive a couple hundred extra bucks for the set, but I doubt that I'll want to second guess if I come home with the smaller monitors...
post #15 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I asked about room size and whether you were planning to use a subwoofer b/c I thought that would help on the decision b/t the RX1 and RX2.

Big room, no sub, I'd say RX2.

Smaller room, sub or not, I'd say RX1.

Big room, with sub, eh, it's probably a toss up. RX2 will get the nod in the upper bass (just above the crossover to your sub).

I think you'll be fine either way, so get whatever floats your boat and enjoy! smile.gif

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

I asked about room size and whether you were planning to use a subwoofer b/c I thought that would help on the decision b/t the RX1 and RX2.

Big room, no sub, I'd say RX2.

Smaller room, sub or not, I'd say RX1.

Big room, with sub, eh, it's probably a toss up. RX2 will get the nod in the upper bass (just above the crossover to your sub).

I think you'll be fine either way, so get whatever floats your boat and enjoy! smile.gif

Thanks, and i didn't mean for my comment about room size to sound snarky. The RX1 was so amazing, and it gave up so very little to the RX2 in the store's listening room. But I could certainly hear the slightly more balanced bass from the bigger RX2. VERY importantly, the day I was listening, I had no music with me, so I was at the mercy of their meager offerings. And their samples weren't what I would consider very speaker-challenging. I have a suspicion that when I go back with some of my music before I buy, that the RX2 will prove to show its merits when pushed, over the RX1. But that will be a fun test, and I'll go from there.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nash View Post

Previous to hearing the MA speakers, I had short-listed the PSB ones. But the RX1 & RX2 just shredded the PSB. It was a night and day difference to my ears. Either the RX2 needed more power to really shine, or the RX1 is just the boss, because the two speakers sounded extremely similar, with the nod still going to the bigger RX2.

The Polks pretty well came in last. Not bad, but they didn't tug at my heart.

The Klipsch were loud and clean (as would be expected) but when compared A/B to the Monitor Audio speakers, it make the Klipsch sound like the highers were spacking me right in the forehead. Talk about forward imaging.

In any event, the Silvers do cost quite a bit more than the others (the PSB was closer in cost), but after hearing them in person, and seeing how beautifully they're constructed, I'll be spending more money than I had planned. Now I'm just trying to decide between the RX1 & RX2.

Yes, the Monitor Audio Silver RX sound is really nice - and will/does tend to stand out, with
good detail, definition, imaging and soundstage presentation.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page