Advice on speakers: B&W CM8 vs. Monitor Audio RX6 vs. PSB Image T6 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post

Hey Edward - what's your budget? Are you definitely set on those brands or are you open to other suggestions?
My budget is around 2K for speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 12-20-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Listening distance is about 14 feet. The distance between left speaker and a side wall is about 1/2 feet. The distance of both speakers from the back wall is about 1.5 feet. The distance between the speakers is 6.5 feet.The length of the room is 20 feet with an opening to a dining room.
post #33 of 43 Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward V View Post

I appreciate everyone's input , but can someone address the topic of this discussion? Is there someone who can share his/her experience from listening to those speakers and compare between them?

I have heard all three speakers so heres my personal opinion to your question in the title.

I felt listening to the PSB Image T6 and MA RX6s side by side that the MAs were a better speaker. They were about equal in terms of bass, the RX6s mids thru the highs IMO werent as dark sounding and more open and airy better at delivering everything I listened to compared to the PSB T6. When I left my outside sales person that was with me wanted to buy the RX6s over the PSB or Energy 6.3s all three we were able to listen to at the same time. Myself and that same OSP have listened to many other speakers together, the CM8s were one, and we felt that they were OK, but the RX6s were capable of edging it out in overall performance, especially when you consider the price of the speakers. The only speaker in the same price range $1200 that we both agreed was a better tower speaker was the Dali Lektor 6, but not by much. He is still between getting either the RX6s or the Lektor 6s. Personally I think he'll get the Dalis, but either would be awesome.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #34 of 43 Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Listening distance is about 14 feet. The distance between left speaker and a side wall is about 1/2 feet. The distance of both speakers from the back wall is about 1.5 feet. The distance between the speakers is 6.5 feet.The length of the room is 20 feet with an opening to a dining room.

this is not meant to be offensive, but that looks like an acoustic nightmare, that is probably why you are experiencing what you are experiencing.

post #35 of 43 Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

this is not meant to be offensive, but that looks like an acoustic nightmare, that is probably why you are experiencing what you are experiencing.

I'll say. That looks like a really difficult space to work with. A rearrangement is definitely in order if possible.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #36 of 43 Old 12-21-2012, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

I have heard all three speakers so heres my personal opinion to your question in the title.
I felt listening to the PSB Image T6 and MA RX6s side by side that the MAs were a better speaker. They were about equal in terms of bass, the RX6s mids thru the highs IMO werent as dark sounding and more open and airy better at delivering everything I listened to compared to the PSB T6. When I left my outside sales person that was with me wanted to buy the RX6s over the PSB or Energy 6.3s all three we were able to listen to at the same time. Myself and that same OSP have listened to many other speakers together, the CM8s were one, and we felt that they were OK, but the RX6s were capable of edging it out in overall performance, especially when you consider the price of the speakers. The only speaker in the same price range $1200 that we both agreed was a better tower speaker was the Dali Lektor 6, but not by much. He is still between getting either the RX6s or the Lektor 6s. Personally I think he'll get the Dalis, but either would be awesome.
Thank you so much. This was very helpful.
post #37 of 43 Old 12-21-2012, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

I'll say. That looks like a really difficult space to work with. A rearrangement is definitely in order if possible.
Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it
post #38 of 43 Old 12-21-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
OK, I see a few things right off the bat that are not good for decent sound. Since you say there is nothing you can do about the general arrangement, some treatment measures would be worth trying, and here they are. If I am off base on these, somebody set me straight, please.

1. The speakers are sitting roughly on a plane with the front of the cabinetry. If you look at pictures of really nice audio setups, you will see that very often they bring the speakers way out in front of the amplifiers and other equipment. This not only limits reflected and diffracted sounds coming off of the equipment, but also by locating the speakers closer to your listening position, allows for a bit more of a "near-field" listening position. A more near field position will increase the ratio of direct sound vs reflected sound. So, I would try bringing them forward at least as far as where you have that subwoofer, or even a bit farther. Of course, you will want to reset your speaker distances in the receiver menu.

2. Again, if you look at pics of high end setups on hard wood floors, they will always have a rug or carpet placed in front of the speakers. That hard wood floor is likely causing all kinds of reflected sounds at the listening position. Perhaps try a nice looking carpet from the front of the speakers and extending 8 feet or so.

3. There is such disparity between the space around the left speaker vs the space around the right speaker. The right one has all that open space beside it, while the left one is right up against an untreated wall. IMO, you have all kinds of reflections coming off that left speaker and wall. What you could try is to affix some decorative sound-absorbing treatment panels on that left wall, just in front of the new speaker location after you move them forward.

I don't know how much these modifications will make, but I think they should help some.

post #39 of 43 Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

OK, I see a few things right off the bat that are not good for decent sound. Since you say there is nothing you can do about the general arrangement, some treatment measures would be worth trying, and here they are. If I am off base on these, somebody set me straight, please.
1. The speakers are sitting roughly on a plane with the front of the cabinetry. If you look at pictures of really nice audio setups, you will see that very often they bring the speakers way out in front of the amplifiers and other equipment. This not only limits reflected and diffracted sounds coming off of the equipment, but also by locating the speakers closer to your listening position, allows for a bit more of a "near-field" listening position. A more near field position will increase the ratio of direct sound vs reflected sound. So, I would try bringing them forward at least as far as where you have that subwoofer, or even a bit farther. Of course, you will want to reset your speaker distances in the receiver menu.
2. Again, if you look at pics of high end setups on hard wood floors, they will always have a rug or carpet placed in front of the speakers. That hard wood floor is likely causing all kinds of reflected sounds at the listening position. Perhaps try a nice looking carpet from the front of the speakers and extending 8 feet or so.
3. There is such disparity between the space around the left speaker vs the space around the right speaker. The right one has all that open space beside it, while the left one is right up against an untreated wall. IMO, you have all kinds of reflections coming off that left speaker and wall. What you could try is to affix some decorative sound-absorbing treatment panels on that left wall, just in front of the new speaker location after you move them forward.
I don't know how much these modifications will make, but I think they should help some.
Well, these are very interesting suggestions. I'll make sure to try them. Thank you very much mtrot
post #40 of 43 Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe like a heavy drape on that left wall would help absorbtion/reflection. ATS acoutsic panels might have some options for you.

post #41 of 43 Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 305
That guy who made post #3 in this thread sure had it right! eek.gif

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #42 of 43 Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

I want to thank you all for the valuable input.
I had a chance to compare the B&W CM8 vs. MA RX-6 vs. PSB Image T6 and I must admit that B&W are much better sounding speakers. It's a totally different league. The sound clarity is superb. The detail level is amazing. The more I listen to them the more I like them. The only minus is that they can't reproduce very low bass but my sub comes to the rescue.
As for MA RX-6 vs. PSB Image T6: PSB Image T6 sound better to my ears. The sound is fuller and not as harsh as MA's. It's also a true 3-way speaker vs. MA's 2.5-way and you can clearly hear the difference. They are good speakers for their price but just can't compete with CM8's.

I also had a chance to compare a Marantz SR 6007 vs. my current Pioneer VSX-1020-K and I was very surprised (pleasantly surprised) to find out that my Pioneer sounded better than a receiver that cost 3 times more! I tried to play it with or without equalization (still hate the Audyssey), different tone settings, different speakers etc. Pioneer was superior in every aspect! Wow! I didn't expect that, but I'm happy smile.gif

So I'm staying with my CM8's and my Pioneer for now and will try to upgrade my center channel to B&W CM Centre if I find it for a right price.
Thanks for your advice.
post #43 of 43 Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I want to thank you all for the valuable input.
I had a chance to compare the B&W CM8 vs. MA RX-6 vs. PSB Image T6 and I must admit that B&W are much better sounding speakers. It's a totally different league. The sound clarity is superb. The detail level is amazing. The more I listen to them the more I like them. The only minus is that they can't reproduce very low bass but my sub comes to the rescue.
As for MA RX-6 vs. PSB Image T6: PSB Image T6 sound better to my ears. The sound is fuller and not as harsh as MA's. It's also a true 3-way speaker vs. MA's 2.5-way and you can clearly hear the difference. They are good speakers for their price but just can't compete with CM8's.

I also had a chance to compare a Marantz SR 6007 vs. my current Pioneer VSX-1020-K and I was very surprised (pleasantly surprised) to find out that my Pioneer sounded better than a receiver that cost 3 times more! I tried to play it with or without equalization (still hate the Audyssey), different tone settings, different speakers etc. Pioneer was superior in every aspect! Wow! I didn't expect that, but I'm happy smile.gif

So I'm staying with my CM8's and my Pioneer for now and will try to upgrade my center channel to B&W CM Centre if I find it for a right price.
Thanks for your advice.

Edward my friend.. Your room is way too live to be able to tell the difference between good and bad sound.. You really do need rugs and room treatments ,especially behind the speakers . But you have to work with what you have.. Also,there is no way that Pioneer sounds better than the 6007.. If you had someone that knew what they were doing run Audyssey,you would be amazed.. Not trying to put you down at all,like you said your new at this and your learning..
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page