Best way to clean a speaker grille cloth? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have noticed dust and likely dead skin cells on my speaker grilles, and I vacuum once a week.

Is the best way to remove this stuff without damaging the grilles to use a microfibre cloth, feather duster or a hand vacuum?

Do any of you go further, and even handwash with a detergent/soap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Never thought about it, might vaccum them once in a while, dust is likely composed of dead skin in any case. Or just remove the grills and free the frequencies! smile.gif

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Vacuum if the grills come off. Lint roller (like used for clothes) if not.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

The grills come off and people have suggested using a dry cloth to clean them. Microfibre clothes I had are static-y and "sticky" when i touch them. Would this be effective you think in removing stuff like lint and dust?

I'm just afraid of the cloths being too static, and causing inadvertent damage to the speakers themselves (E.g. once I put the grilles back on, after removing them)

And which vacuum type is good? Will the suction be too strong--which hose attachment, if any?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I think a vacuum cleaner is your best bet. Wiping a fabric surface with a cloth seems strange to me at least. Maybe a lint roller as was suggested. I think you're overthinking this in general. Just use a vacuum attachment for either fabrics or crevices or the basic hose...your pleasure.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 12-18-2012, 10:33 PM

Liked: 11
Compressed air, vacuum with soft bristle attachment, or a lint roller will get the job done.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 PM

Liked: 10
Some said to use the K2R for stubborn spots, in the section on Acoustat speakers I think.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

I have OCD (now I'm embarrassed), and so I don't know the "right" way or proper way of cleaning speaker grilles. I'm very particular, and when there is a "best" way, I will always use this way. So I will be trying the vacuum w/soft bristle attachment.

Last question, but will the hose suction be too strong or would it be good without warping the grille/cloth?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless your speaker grills are of very low quality I wouldn't worry about the vacuum. Don't press the nozzle/head/attachment into the speaker so as to press into the tweeter dome or driver, etc. OCD isn't so bad, there's worse.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

I have noticed dust and likely dead skin cells on my speaker grilles, and I vacuum once a week.
Is the best way to remove this stuff without damaging the grilles to use a microfibre cloth, feather duster or a hand vacuum?
Do any of you go further, and even handwash with a detergent/soap?

I use a vac with the soft brush attachment. I also use a soft shoe brush on speaker grills. It also works wonders on remote controls and face plates.

Espo77
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 84
try running a dryer sheet over them...

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i