Vienna Acoustics Bach's (non-Grand): stands? footings? sand or lead? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked up a 2nd-hand pair of VA Bach's in black. They're nearly perfect except no plugs for the bottom. Sound great and make an impressive amount of bass for size of woof's. Questions!

1. I have to tape up the bottoms If I fill them (did one with sand already). Is sand or lead shot heavier? I used fine beach sand in a couple big ziploc's.
  2. The bottoms have hardware with recesses I assume are for hextop spikes, but I'm on a wood floor over concrete slab (this sounds way better than stuff I've heard mounted over a crawlspace). I put some ductape on botttoms to protect finish. Should they sit on a sticky pad or some short stands?
  3. Any advice about positioning? They're 1ft off windowed wall aiming into a large open space.
  4. Are other users plugging the ports? haven't tried it yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98

Nice set of speakers. I've never heard them but they get good reviews.
Lead shot is probably heavier than most sand. With heavy shot or sand in the bottoms it should help dampen the vibrations to the floor. Spikes are often used to decouple the speakers from the floor - but not a good idea on hardwood floors unless you use those little dimpled coins that the spikes sit on. The tweeter should be at or near ear level for best listening.

Positioning the speakers for best sound is an experiment that may take minutes or hours - or weeks. What works well for one speaker may not work for another. IIRC those have ports at the back - they may need a couple of feet behind them for best bass response. Play around with them. You'll soon find out what works and sounds best in your listening environment.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for info, KnuckleHead!

Paul
post #4 of 6 Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Years ago when I had Vandersteen 2CE's I used lead for the bases and it tightened up the bass. Just go to a local gunshop and pick up lead shot by the bag. Not a lot of money.smile.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 12-20-2012, 03:01 PM

If you haven't already, you can buy a 50 lb bag of sand from toys r us. About 20 lbs fills one speaker. My pair didn't come with a plug either. I used several pieces of shipping tape to cover the bottom port, an actual plug would be much nicer just not sure what to use.

If you have your speakers on carpet, I think the spikes that fit need to be m1 size. Spikes would allow you to adjust the rake angle, tilting them back so the midpoint between the tweeter/woofer is aimed at the ear should add some height to the soundstage and make them sound a little more immediate by reducing the suckout from 2-4khz somewhat.

As for positioning, in my experience these speakers sound best farther away from the back wall than most others. They work well in my room about 19 inches from the back of the speaker to the wall, but every room will be different. Mainly, it's about tuning the bass output from the port to your liking, getting the bass right will help the midrange and high frequencies come through nice and clear. I have mine facing straight out with no toe in, as I like them best that way, but you can try to toe them in until you can see about 1/3 of the side of each speaker from the listening position. The best advice I can give about positioning is to simply experiment.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-08-2014, 01:32 PM

Liked: 0
Bach crossover resistor

I know this thread is a bit old but looking for a bit of help...

Rescued a pair of Bach's from a dumpster, somebody thought the tweeters were blown. I pulled the XO's and it turned out a resistor blew. Can't even make out the color bands.

Was wondering if somebody could take a look at their crossover and tell me the color bands of R2, located next to the 3.3uf capacitor (in my xo the cap is a black Audyn)

From what I can make out the first band seems to be yellow

Thanks in advance, it would be really cool to save these nice speakers from the e-waste center!

Doug
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page