Tekton Pendragon - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #361 of 1828 Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looks like most pendragon owners are using higher power amps and lots doing home theater. If any of you are doing 2 ch with the Tektons and listen at low to mid (normal) levels may I suggest the Decware amplifier website blogs http://www.decware.com/newsite/homepage.html and a single ended tube amp as a perfect combo with the Pendragons. Great info on the Decware site about tiny power amps and hi efficient 94db+ speakers. I researched the Decware forms for months and is what convinced me that I just had to try low power (2-7 wpc). I had no idea that less power can be better! Now, nothing else will do for me for regular listening and was the main reason I purchased the Pendragons. I wanted to make the most out of the 7 very special watts I have. The Tektons being one of the few speakers efficient enough to work with these tiny magical amps it is just a perfect match IMO but I do not see many folks on this site using them with the Pendragons yet. I found the Decware web site very informative and the concept that the best watt is the 1st watt fascinating. I DID NOT try or buy a Decware but I did buy a few other brands of similar designed amps. I found the low power way of life has a kind of cult following and now I know why. The magic of the single ended tube with the right high efficient speaker ( trust me, the Tektons are the right speaker) is something that must be experienced. The imaging and soundstage is just incredible and the amps can be had from a few hundred up. I have tried lots of these amps and have my favorites so if any specific additional info will help just let me know. I have found for a true out of body euphoric ( head phone like) 2 ch experience with the Tektons I cannot recommend anything better than a Made in America, point to point wired, class a tube single ended low power amp. May not shake the walls but makes the speakers disappear and brings Norah Jones to my listening room and gives me enough volume 95% of the time. Truly Amazing combo IMO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1828 Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Anyone have the frequency response of the Pendragon?
How are the drivers crossed over and why in the world are there 3 tweeters?
That design blows my mind, so confused...
post #363 of 1828 Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnatsch517 View Post

20 hz to 30 kHz . Don't know about tweets. There is a new review of pens on their website . Check it out.
post #364 of 1828 Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

20 hz to 30 kHz . Don't know about tweets. There is a new review of pens on their website . Check it out.

Yea I saw that. What I'm looking for is a FR graph that isn't smoothed.
I saw this review also: Stereo Mojo, but I would prefer more resolution in those graphs.
At the price of the Pendragons, it's competing against the SS Songtower and Ascend Sierra Tower both w/ RT upgrade.
That is some heavy competition, IMHO.
post #365 of 1828 Old 04-03-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

What type of music do you listen too ? How loud ? For movies as well ?
post #366 of 1828 Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 AM

Liked: 12
Tough to know without more info rolleyes.gifwink.gif
post #367 of 1828 Old 04-04-2013, 06:19 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman5000 View Post

Looks like most pendragon owners are using higher power amps and lots doing home theater. If any of you are doing 2 ch with the Tektons and listen at low to mid (normal) levels may I suggest the Decware amplifier website blogs http://www.decware.com/newsite/homepage.html and a single ended tube amp as a perfect combo with the Pendragons. Great info on the Decware site about tiny power amps and hi efficient 94db+ speakers. I researched the Decware forms for months and is what convinced me that I just had to try low power (2-7 wpc). I had no idea that less power can be better! Now, nothing else will do for me for regular listening and was the main reason I purchased the Pendragons. I wanted to make the most out of the 7 very special watts I have. The Tektons being one of the few speakers efficient enough to work with these tiny magical amps it is just a perfect match IMO but I do not see many folks on this site using them with the Pendragons yet. I found the Decware web site very informative and the concept that the best watt is the 1st watt fascinating. I DID NOT try or buy a Decware but I did buy a few other brands of similar designed amps. I found the low power way of life has a kind of cult following and now I know why. The magic of the single ended tube with the right high efficient speaker ( trust me, the Tektons are the right speaker) is something that must be experienced. The imaging and soundstage is just incredible and the amps can be had from a few hundred up. I have tried lots of these amps and have my favorites so if any specific additional info will help just let me know. I have found for a true out of body euphoric ( head phone like) 2 ch experience with the Tektons I cannot recommend anything better than a Made in America, point to point wired, class a tube single ended low power amp. May not shake the walls but makes the speakers disappear and brings Norah Jones to my listening room and gives me enough volume 95% of the time. Truly Amazing combo IMO!

I would be interested in the amps you have tried and what you are currently using. I have the Enzo on order (don't we all have pending orders) as I was going to set up a dedicated 2-channel listening with tubes.
post #368 of 1828 Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I am pretty sure the multiple tweeters is just to match the output of the woofers. More drivers equals more output.
post #369 of 1828 Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I read in another thread that the three tweeters are to help with off axis dispersion .
post #370 of 1828 Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Multiple tweeters also help sensitivity...its an array...
post #371 of 1828 Old 04-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Multiple tweeters also help sensitivity...its an array...

Interesting. I always thought there were destructive interference consequences with line arrays, but a bit further reading proves otherwise.
Hmm... this is interesting indeed!
post #372 of 1828 Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1536
Quote:

I always thought there were destructive interference consequences with line arrays
Only when they're horizontal.
Quote:
I read in another thread that the three tweeters are to help with off axis dispersion .
When any number of drivers are vertically arrayed the horizontal dispersion is the same as that of a single driver. They use three tweeters because one or two would not be able to keep up with the woofers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #373 of 1828 Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Bill ,
Just curious who you have worked for designing speakers ? Ever think of starting your own ? I am assuming that your speakers you built. What are the drivers for you mains and what do you power them with ? cool.gif
post #374 of 1828 Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Agreed: multiple tweeters are for total SPL.

If the total distance stays below the (IIRC) 1/2 wavelength: there's little to no down-side. The drivers are effectively a single unit.
If the total distance exceeds that, then interference will occur where output overlaps in physical space.

Having listened to McIntosh's arrays (though none as few as 3-driver, so it may not apply here): I also didn't prefer the sound. There was something lost in localization to me.
post #375 of 1828 Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Bill ,
Just curious who you have worked for designing speakers ?
I'm an independent designer. I've done designs for about a dozen different companies. I can't say who, because companies who don't have their own engineers on staff don't want that revealed. Non-disclosure is part of the contract agreement. One of the secrets of the industry is that most manufacturers don't have accredited acoustical engineers on staff.
Quote:
Ever think of starting your own ?
I don't need the headaches involved in running a company.

post #376 of 1828 Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

I'm an independent designer. I've done designs for about a dozen different companies. I can't say who, because companies who don't have their own engineers on staff don't want that revealed. Non-disclosure is part of the contract agreement. One of the secrets of the industry is that most manufacturers don't have accredited acoustical engineers on staff.
I don't need the headaches involved in running a company.

Headaches? Nothing that minor.
post #377 of 1828 Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Headaches? Nothing that minor.
That, and the fact that I do well enough just collecting royalties. It's like the music business. The real money doesn't come from performing on stage or making records. It's in the publishing rights, and getting those quarterly ASCAP/BMI checks forever. biggrin.gif

post #378 of 1828 Old 04-06-2013, 08:18 AM

Liked: 10
Are waiting for the Pendragons really worth it? I have run into the eternal wait from Eric and I am starting to rethink my position.

Are there owners out there that cares to commit on why they would or would not buy something different.

Thank you !!
post #379 of 1828 Old 04-06-2013, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8POWER View Post

Are waiting for the Pendragons really worth it? I have run into the eternal wait from Eric and I am starting to rethink my position.

Are there owners out there that cares to commit on why they would or would not buy something different.

Thank you !!

I could not do the wait on the pens, totally ridiculous lead times. Here's a guy that had both the pens and the omen Def's, he sold the pendragons...

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1341349143&read&keyw&zzholley

I ended up with his omen Def's mk1-b as he upgraded to the zu definitions. I just got the Def's yesterday and I am in awe of how they perform. Very happy I got the Def's. 100db of sensitivity is just insane... smile.gif
post #380 of 1828 Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

The omens are about as close to pens as you can get. You would probably be happy with either , so go with your gut.
post #381 of 1828 Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
^ What about the Zu Soul Mk. II? Anyone know anything about these?
post #382 of 1828 Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 PM

So I posted a few weeks ago in this forum and had said that I had been waiting six months for a pair of speakers from Eric. I got frustrated a lot, actually emailed him twice to say I was going to cancel but decided to give him one last chance. Today, I finally got a call from Eric and he told me that the speakers will be on their way tomorrow.

I have not listened to the Lore-S before, but an artist friend of mine uses earlier Tekton Design speakers for his sound installations. He swears by them, and honestly after having listened to B&W, Martin Logan, Aperion Audio, Golden Ear and Paradigm, I have to say I agree with his opinion. There's just something - in very non-specific descriptive terms - more "real", more present with music from Eric's speakers than I have not found with other speakers.

Would I wait six months again for them? I don't know. Eric has hired new people to work for him recently and is shipping orders out quicker. But Eric has been through a lot recently, and a lot beforehand, in order to be working a job which he loves. I think that alone is enough reason to support him and his company.
post #383 of 1828 Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabechef View Post

So I posted a few weeks ago in this forum and had said that I had been waiting six months for a pair of speakers from Eric. I got frustrated a lot, actually emailed him twice to say I was going to cancel but decided to give him one last chance. Today, I finally got a call from Eric and he told me that the speakers will be on their way tomorrow.

I have not listened to the Lore-S before, but an artist friend of mine uses earlier Tekton Design speakers for his sound installations. He swears by them, and honestly after having listened to B&W, Martin Logan, Aperion Audio, Golden Ear and Paradigm, I have to say I agree with his opinion. There's just something - in very non-specific descriptive terms - more "real", more present with music from Eric's speakers than I have not found with other speakers.

Would I wait six months again for them? I don't know. Eric has hired new people to work for him recently and is shipping orders out quicker. But Eric has been through a lot recently, and a lot beforehand, in order to be working a job which he loves. I think that alone is enough reason to support him and his company.

Congrats! Glad you are finally getting them...however, none of this happened without pics and a quick review. smile.gif
post #384 of 1828 Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechx View Post

Congrats! Glad you are finally getting them...however, none of this happened without pics and a quick review. smile.gif

Or even an extensive review, hehe.

I'm also thinking about getting some Lore-Ses, and am eager to hear what you think about them once they arrive and you've had some time to listen.
post #385 of 1828 Old 04-10-2013, 03:54 PM

I like the idea of keeping a public record of how long these orders are taking, so here is my info:

Speakers: M-Lore left/right/center and 12in subwoofer. Speakers with cherry veneer and subwoofer satin black
Order Date: February 26, 2013
Estimated Delivery Date: 4-6 weeks
Delivery Date: still waiting

The 6 week mark was yesterday. The day I ordered them he said he had everything on hand, including the boxes already made. I emailed him at 4 weeks and he said the same thing and that he hoped to meet the deadline he set. I emailed him last sunday and again yesterday to see if they would ship this week and still have not heard back from him.
post #386 of 1828 Old 04-10-2013, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

I would be interested in the amps you have tried and what you are currently using. I have the Enzo on order (don't we all have pending orders) as I was going to set up a dedicated 2-channel listening with tubes.

I was using a Sherbourn PA 5-200 but recently bought a Emotiva XPR-5. The differences are really very subtle between the 2. My mids on the Pen open up a smiddgen. I'd love to do a A/B comparison but damn that XPR weighs a ton. It's in the cabinet now and I'm damned if I'm going to move it again.

post #387 of 1828 Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonHiFiGuy View Post

I like the idea of keeping a public record of how long these orders are taking, so here is my info:

Speakers: M-Lore left/right/center and 12in subwoofer. Speakers with cherry veneer and subwoofer satin black
Order Date: February 26, 2013
Estimated Delivery Date: 4-6 weeks
Delivery Date: still waiting

The 6 week mark was yesterday. The day I ordered them he said he had everything on hand, including the boxes already made. I emailed him at 4 weeks and he said the same thing and that he hoped to meet the deadline he set. I emailed him last sunday and again yesterday to see if they would ship this week and still have not heard back from him.

Just as an update, I heard back from Eric today. He initially said that it would take about another week for the speakers, but after some back and forth by email where I tried initially to get him to commit to a firm shipping day, and then just a window of a week, he essentially said that he would not be able to do that and that if him committing that I would receive my speakers sometime, without a timeframe, was not good enough that I might want to look elsewhere.

I'm not exactly sure what to say, I really want these speakers as I dont think I could get a system as good for even twice the price, i just dont want to go down the rabbit hole where I am waiting 6 months for speakers. I decided to give him a little more time, we'll see how I feel in a couple weeks if I still do not have them.
post #388 of 1828 Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Just as an update, I heard back from Eric today. He initially said that it would take about another week for the speakers, but after some back and forth by email where I tried initially to get him to commit to a firm shipping day, and then just a window of a week, he essentially said that he would not be able to do that and that if him committing that I would receive my speakers sometime, without a timeframe, was not good enough that I might want to look elsewhere.

I'm not exactly sure what to say, I really want these speakers as I dont think I could get a system as good for even twice the price, i just dont want to go down the rabbit hole where I am waiting 6 months for speakers. I decided to give him a little more time, we'll see how I feel in a couple weeks if I still do not have them.

Lol..so Eric called your bluff. Sort of funny...
post #389 of 1828 Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Lol..so Eric called your bluff. Sort of funny...

I seriously don't understand. I've worked in supply chain before.
If you can't promise a delivery date, then you don't deserve to run a business as simple as speaker manufacturing.

Seriously, how hard is it? If he isn't working 12 hours a day 7 days a week to get these done to clear the back log, then he shouldn't be running this business.
I'm seriously wondering if Eric has a day job and he's only doing this as a side business.

If someone has all the parts readily available, it shouldn't take more than a single day to build these speakers, plus a few to get the painting done. rolleyes.gif
Serious fail IMHO.

BTW:
Anyone know what drivers the Pendragons use?
They look like these:
Eminence-beta-10a
SB-Acoustics-sb29rdcn
post #390 of 1828 Old 04-12-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

he essentially said that he would not be able to do that and that if him committing that I would receive my speakers sometime, without a timeframe, was not good enough that I might want to look elsewhere.
I'd call that good advice. I hope you didn't pay for them with other than a credit card or PayPal, and I'd cancel the order for a refund yesterday. Wait any longer and you might end up a casualty like so many Elemental Designs customers.
Quote:
I really want these speakers as I dont think I could get a system as good for even twice the price,
They're speakers. There's nothing magical about them, every speaker made has to follow the same rules of physics that every other speaker does. Anything one company can do anyone can do.
Quote:
Anyone know what drivers the Pendragons use?
They look like these: Eminence-beta-10a
SB-Acoustics-sb29rdcn
Possibly, though with Eminence they have so many off the shelf and OEM options available that you can't say for sure without looking at the numbers on the magnet. I'd lean more towards the BP102 or an OEM version of it. But if they're Eminence stamped frame tens they definitely don't cost more than $50 each in any event. The tweeter has the look of the SB, but again you'd have to look at the back to be sure.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page