AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Tekton Pendragon

Speakers

jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15
08:25 PM Liked: 1222
post #631 of 1860
05-29-2013 | Posts: 6,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvistehebeagle View Post

THANK YOU for showing me your speakers !!!!. My 5 piece Red Pendragons (I did not get the subs, but will get later, already have 2 Def Techs) will be here Friday. I am so glad Eric talked me into the Red ones. I have waited 8 plus weeks for my order. I have had NO PROBLEM waiting. They are hand made. It is worth the wait. There is no other Loudspeaker at this price point that is even ballpark to this quality and performance. Do not let the wait put you off. The CLOWNS on this site that blabber about Eric having money problems or claiming he is less than truthful do not even own the speakers. Exception is a couple of people with no grills. Eric only bills for what he ships. I ordered grills and I know that I will wait for them like everyone else. I have not seen one person who HAVE THEM say anything but great reviews. Some of the clowns even seen to have quite a bit of background in the industry. I am fairly sure that they have never been in the same room as any of Eric's products. They just make a lot of claims of speaker specs being inflated or unconfirmed. Mojo Stereo review did quit a few tests. But hey, I am sure that Samsung and Pioneer's Specs are all "right on the money". There is no agency overseeing these claims. It is all BS. What is not BS is all the happy Tekton speaker owners. All the Tekton speaker reviews from reviewers that do not get ANY advertising money from Eric. I feel that there are a few people on this " discussion form" who are from the speaker industry who have never had the vision or drive to create anything worth marketing. Maybe out of frustration or jealousy they attack a person who took a lot of risks and put his ass on the line while creating some affordable and very fine loudspeakers. I have heard that Tekton is a "LLC" company. SO WHAT! He does no bill anything until it has a tracking number and is on the way. It has become an issue that Andrew Robinson promotes his products. I you do not believe Andrew Robinson then check out ALL the other reviews. Tekton is a small company that with all the great reviews was flooded with orders. THAT IS A GOOD THING. But he can only hire and train so fast. HE himself builds the speakers. I myself would be be weary of a hand made speaker that could be written up , built and shipped in two weeks. Friday my speakers will be here and I will share with all how they sound and after the "break in"period how much better they sound. I did a lot of "homework" on Eric and Tekton before placing my order. I have found that Eric is a very honest person. His company is in very good financial shape. If Eric has one flaw it is he whats to "make everyone happy". In business that is a goal, never a reality. I will end with this, spending thousands of dollars on line with some one I have never met in person or even seen or heard the product that I am buying, I am confident that I could not have found a better Company to do business with. I will be in sonic bliss!

You need to start using paragraphs to make your long winded post easier to read.
yelnatsch517's Avatar yelnatsch517
09:34 PM Liked: 14
post #632 of 1860
05-29-2013 | Posts: 980
Quote:

THANK YOU for showing me your speakers !!!!. My 5 piece Red Pendragons (I did not get the subs, but will get later, already have 2 Def Techs) will be here Friday. I am so glad Eric talked me into the Red ones. I have waited 8 plus weeks for my order. I have had NO PROBLEM waiting. They are hand made. It is worth the wait. There is no other Loudspeaker at this price point that is even ballpark to this quality and performance. Do not let the wait put you off. The CLOWNS on this site that blabber about Eric having money problems or claiming he is less than truthful do not even own the speakers. Exception is a couple of people with no grills. Eric only bills for what he ships. I ordered grills and I know that I will wait for them like everyone else. I have not seen one person who HAVE THEM say anything but great reviews. Some of the clowns even seen to have quite a bit of background in the industry. I am fairly sure that they have never been in the same room as any of Eric's products. They just make a lot of claims of speaker specs being inflated or unconfirmed. Mojo Stereo review did quit a few tests. But hey, I am sure that Samsung and Pioneer's Specs are all "right on the money". There is no agency overseeing these claims. It is all BS. What is not BS is all the happy Tekton speaker owners. All the Tekton speaker reviews from reviewers that do not get ANY advertising money from Eric. I feel that there are a few people on this " discussion form" who are from the speaker industry who have never had the vision or drive to create anything worth marketing. Maybe out of frustration or jealousy they attack a person who took a lot of risks and put his ass on the line while creating some affordable and very fine loudspeakers. I have heard that Tekton is a "LLC" company. SO WHAT! He does no bill anything until it has a tracking number and is on the way. It has become an issue that Andrew Robinson promotes his products. I you do not believe Andrew Robinson then check out ALL the other reviews. Tekton is a small company that with all the great reviews was flooded with orders. THAT IS A GOOD THING. But he can only hire and train so fast. HE himself builds the speakers. I myself would be be weary of a hand made speaker that could be written up , built and shipped in two weeks. Friday my speakers will be here and I will share with all how they sound and after the "break in"period how much better they sound. I did a lot of "homework" on Eric and Tekton before placing my order. I have found that Eric is a very honest person. His company is in very good financial shape. If Eric has one flaw it is he whats to "make everyone happy". In business that is a goal, never a reality. I will end with this, spending thousands of dollars on line with some one I have never met in person or even seen or heard the product that I am buying, I am confident that I could not have found a better Company to do business with. I will be in sonic bliss!

Holy wall of text...

Little off topic and nothing to do with the Pendragons, but I just wanted to note how naive you sound about manufacturing.
In manufacturing, generally the more components built in-house, the quicker the turnaround time.
Most often out sourcing causes the most delay and it's a trade-off all companies realize, time vs. money. Outsourcing saves money, but you lose time and versatility.

With that said, if Eric had all the proper equipment, it should less than a day on average to build an entire speaker HIMSELF. Of course I'm talking per unit production time.
Manufacturing requires a lot of down time between processes which is why mass production is so efficient. When there is any wait period, just start working on the next batch, ie. don't wait for the paint to dry before cutting the wood for the next batch of speakers.
Not only does Eric need a business manager, it sounds like he needs to hire a process engineer to increase his efficiency as it's most likely absolutely horrible.

Oh well, at least people are happy with his speakers. That's what matters in the end, for the customers at least. biggrin.gif Just a pity Eric, for all his ingeniousness, doesn't realize what he's got.
Foddon's Avatar Foddon
12:46 AM Liked: 10
post #633 of 1860
05-30-2013 | Posts: 121
I ordered a pair of Pens over the phone on 03/29, haven't heard an update yet (haven't followed up with him). From reading around I fully expected it to take a few months so I'm not upset about the wait but he should probably at least start sending an order confirmation and updates if the wait is going to be longer than what he quoted. That's something simple that any office admin could easily take care of for him.

The posts acting like there aren't any issues and people shouldn't be complaining here are laughable. Seriously guys? Is it that hard to read the thread and understand why some people are upset or at the very least want to discuss the issues openly so others know what they're getting into?
Soundman5000's Avatar Soundman5000
03:49 AM Liked: 25
post #634 of 1860
05-30-2013 | Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foddon View Post

I ordered a pair of Pens over the phone on 03/29, haven't heard an update yet (haven't followed up with him). From reading around I fully expected it to take a few months so I'm not upset about the wait but he should probably at least start sending an order confirmation and updates if the wait is going to be longer than what he quoted. That's something simple that any office admin could easily take care of for him.

The posts acting like there aren't any issues and people shouldn't be complaining here are laughable. Seriously guys? Is it that hard to read the thread and understand why some people are upset or at the very least want to discuss the issues openly so others know what they're getting into?

Foddon, Thanks for your understanding. I for one, needed to discuss my speaker issue openly and I am very upset and needed the support of fellow owners.
Dealing with a speaker company 1/2 the USA away ( I can't just drive down to the local magistrate court in his State to get some help). I am over my time limit from my credit card company to help me and the same story every time I call or email... what is a customer to do? I keep being told via email and phone that I am on a list and will ship soon. Heck, I was told in November 2012 " I'm sorry for the delay here. I will have them very soon. Hopefully, shipped this week."
I feel like I purchased a new Convertible Corvette and still don't have a top ( speaker grills) 9 months later.

I have been real surprised how some folks are so ready to come to the the rescue of the owner; yes, laughable especially with the fact that they still don't have their speakers. Blind faith if you ask me...Something just does not smell right with that much faith IMO.

I needed the support and understanding of the Tekton owners as I had no one else to help me this side of the BBB, a lawyer or Angie's list or something. I needed to know I was not alone and being singled out with my grills that I paid for many months ago and have yet to receive. Back when I ordered my speakers I did not have the luxury of this post with any warnings of a delay. All I had was a few great reviews, A Glenn Beck endorsement and the owner telling me the normal delivery time is 4 - 6 weeks. I did not expect to still be on hold 9 months later. I do ask if anyone receives or has received Pendragoin grills anytime after I placed my order in August 2012, Please post and let all of us know you have a complete order with grills and I will do the same.

Thanks Again:)
DougReim's Avatar DougReim
05:48 AM Liked: 23
post #635 of 1860
05-30-2013 | Posts: 464
Interesting thread.
I'm looking at and demoing speakers (Paradigm, Focal, Aperion, Polk, MA & SVS) and I'm interested in these as well. I've got to say that these are the only speakers that I've ever looked into where I can not find even one negative comment regarding the sound. Literally, I can't find one negative remark about the sound quality, to me that speaks volumes about the quality of this brand.
I can certainly understand the frustration of having to wait so long where it seems that some simple, honest communication regarding delivery times would smooth a lot of ruffled feathers. It is hard to understand why any businessman would not understand the potential harm this is doing to his business. It does make you wonder if there are not other factors involved.
To be clear, as I understand it, speakers can take 8-12 weeks but no one has actually paid for speakers and not received them, right? Grilles, on the other hand seem to be non existent, but except for Soundman, no one else has paid for the grilles? I want to know what to expect if I order a pair.
Kensmith48's Avatar Kensmith48
11:33 AM Liked: 18
post #636 of 1860
05-30-2013 | Posts: 1,258
I paid for grills also. He charged me $112.50 for 3 grills back in Feb. and I was told when they would ship but I still haven't received them.

Ken
Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai
01:46 PM Liked: 600
post #637 of 1860
05-30-2013 | Posts: 14,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

Interesting thread.
I'm looking at and demoing speakers (Paradigm, Focal, Aperion, Polk, MA & SVS) and I'm interested in these as well. I've got to say that these are the only speakers that I've ever looked into where I can not find even one negative comment regarding the sound. Literally, I can't find one negative remark about the sound quality, to me that speaks volumes about the quality of this brand.

It might, but there are a host of other factors to consider. Like what was the buyer using previously. It might well be that a host of other speakers would have elicited a similar response. Then look at elvishethebeagle. Heck, he's gushing more than a guy who got Mila Kunis to go to a prom and he doesn't even have them. Then there's the folks who would like to use or get into tubes and need a higher efficiency speaker that's attractive and available in colors. Then there are those that are into the whole boutique capacitor thing. One also has to factor in that if they were in someway displeased, they'd have to eat the shipping costs and absorb restocking fees if applicable. There's still a honeymoon period going on and only time will tell what the lasting sentiments are. This is true for a lot of things one buys or makes a commitment to.
Quote:
I can certainly understand the frustration of having to wait so long where it seems that some simple, honest communication regarding delivery times would smooth a lot of ruffled feathers. It is hard to understand why any businessman would not understand the potential harm this is doing to his business. It does make you wonder if there are not other factors involved.
To be clear, as I understand it, speakers can take 8-12 weeks but no one has actually paid for speakers and not received them, right? Grilles, on the other hand seem to be non existent, but except for Soundman, no one else has paid for the grilles? I want to know what to expect if I order a pair.
People have to decide if sticking up for one another and speaking in a single voice is more. Important than providing cover.
DougReim's Avatar DougReim
02:48 PM Liked: 23
post #638 of 1860
05-30-2013 | Posts: 464
Agreed, but even so; not one single negative. Point me to another speaker where you can't find any bad feedback. And besides, until I get them home I have nothing else to go on.
I'd much rather spend $100-$200 in freight then live with a speaker I'm not happy with. I just finished packing up a pair of RTi-A9's that I'm returning. They're big, heavy and a PITA to repack but after listening to them for a few weeks I discovered that the bright detailed sound that first attracted me to them wore thin. I'll keep doing that until I get it right.
thebean's Avatar thebean
03:32 PM Liked: 11
post #639 of 1860
05-30-2013 | Posts: 22
Has anyone received grills? If so, were they shipped with the speakers or how long thereafter? I ordered mine with Grills but requested no grill mounts be installed in the speaker. That way when/if I receive them I'll come up with a way to mount them that doesn't deface the speaker and they will look better when the grills are off.
05:26 PM Liked: 1222
post #640 of 1860
05-30-2013 | Posts: 6,677
Quote:

Agreed, but even so; not one single negative. Point me to another speaker where you can't find any bad feedback.

JTR Noesis 212HT's. Also keep in mind that I don't believe Tekton speakers have been present at any GTG's/shoot outs, that when you would hear some negative feed if there was any to be said.
Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai
05:57 PM Liked: 600
post #641 of 1860
05-30-2013 | Posts: 14,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

JTR Noesis 212HT's. Also keep in mind that I don't believe Tekton speakers have been present at any GTG's/shoot outs, that when you would hear some negative feed if there was any to be said.
That is if they had no qualms about being totally candid. What some say publicly is sometimes at odds with what is said privately. Sometimes you just don't want to offend the owner of the speakers especially if they're also the host.
elvistehebeagle's Avatar elvistehebeagle
06:36 PM Liked: 11
post #642 of 1860
05-30-2013 | Posts: 11
I will try to use more paragraphs. I did not realize this was a creative writing class . OR is it just something else to find fault with. Yes, I have not heard my speakers yet. I have spent hours of research and many conversations with Eric at Tekton to form my opinions. I have been called "off topic". These comments seem to come from people that do not know, ever talked to or bought Tekton products. Maybe never even seen them. All I am pointing out is that Eric is building by hand a "reference " loudspeaker at a price point many more than before can afford.
NEW PARAGRAPH. For those waiting for grills i have heard a few have been charged . Eric only bills me as the product ships. I also will wait for grills. I understand that he wants to get speakers out first. Have you tried to get your money refunded and then have them billed when shipped? Tekton is not in any financial trouble.
The ever all knowing "back seat drivers" out there, can you tell us laymen about how you solved similar problems in your Companies. How you took an order, laid it out, pulled the materials, cut, drilled, sanded and routed. After you assembled, painted base coat and final coat. waited to dry. Then installed drivers, crossovers, ect. Please tell us how you turned these around in a day. Better yet, tell us some of the designs and or patents you are known for.
It is easy to be a "legend in your own mind". It is another thing to risk everything and build a company from scratch. I feel, yes my opinion is for all things considered and the RAVE reviews his designs are receiving, Tekton is having quite an impact in the industry with almost no advertising. He will solve his problems. You will get your grills. Small company flooded with orders. Apparently some of you would do do a "better" job.
The only reason I wasting my time responding to the "diatribe" is I am exited about my speakers coming tomorrow. Just working off the "clock" till they arrive. My Def Techs (bp2000, CRL3000, BPX) are not getting it done for me any more. In fact their new products are made in China and worse, made so the wife will let them in the house. They are compromising design for sonic quality. GoldenEar same with a ribbon tweeter. A plastic center channel. No comment on polk audio. All three are the same parent company and designer. They are good speakers! It is just you can get ( my estimate) a "many" times better speaker for same money.
Tomorrow I will start the unpacking, experience the original sound and break in period. Then I share findings that this " Forum " was supposed to provide other audiophiles and people looking for "informed" articles to help them get the best system or components for their money. Also I heard that it is for true experts in the design industry to comment on designs with impartial ( void of jealous reviews). So far I have yet to see any.
Please try calling Eric and ask for you money back on speaker grills not delivered yet. He will still make them. It may make you feel better to have your money back. Eric is training someone just to build grills. That will not happen over night. Someone said that they heard he hired people twice, SO WHAT. It takes 90 plus days just to train basics and break in new employees. I am sure is you call "without threats" he will do everything to help. IF Eric has a fault it is he gets overworked and tries to make everyone happy. Sometimes he does not give himself enough time. He is a very honest man with the best of intentions. Time management may be a shortcoming. Building great loudspeakers is his true gift. We can not be all things to all people.
06:47 PM Liked: 1222
post #643 of 1860
05-30-2013 | Posts: 6,677
Quote:

I will try to use more paragraphs. I did not realize this was a creative writing class . OR is it just something else to find fault with. Yes, I have not heard my speakers yet. I have spent hours of research and many conversations with Eric at Tekton to form my opinions. I have been called "off topic". These comments seem to come from people that do not know, ever talked to or bought Tekton products. Maybe never even seen them. All I am pointing out is that Eric is building by hand a "reference " loudspeaker at a price point many more than before can afford.
NEW PARAGRAPH. For those waiting for grills i have heard a few have been charged . Eric only bills me as the product ships. I also will wait for grills. I understand that he wants to get speakers out first. Have you tried to get your money refunded and then have them billed when shipped? Tekton is not in any financial trouble.
The ever all knowing "back seat drivers" out there, can you tell us laymen about how you solved similar problems in your Companies. How you took an order, laid it out, pulled the materials, cut, drilled, sanded and routed. After you assembled, painted base coat and final coat. waited to dry. Then installed drivers, crossovers, ect. Please tell us how you turned these around in a day. Better yet, tell us some of the designs and or patents you are known for.
It is easy to be a "legend in your own mind". It is another thing to risk everything and build a company from scratch. I feel, yes my opinion is for all things considered and the RAVE reviews his designs are receiving, Tekton is having quite an impact in the industry with almost no advertising. He will solve his problems. You will get your grills. Small company flooded with orders. Apparently some of you would do do a "better" job.
The only reason I wasting my time responding to the "diatribe" is I am exited about my speakers coming tomorrow. Just working off the "clock" till they arrive. My Def Techs (bp2000, CRL3000, BPX) are not getting it done for me any more. In fact their new products are made in China and worse, made so the wife will let them in the house. They are compromising design for sonic quality. GoldenEar same with a ribbon tweeter. A plastic center channel. No comment on polk audio. All three are the same parent company and designer. They are good speakers! It is just you can get ( my estimate) a "many" times better speaker for same money.
Tomorrow I will start the unpacking, experience the original sound and break in period. Then I share findings that this " Forum " was supposed to provide other audiophiles and people looking for "informed" articles to help them get the best system or components for their money. Also I heard that it is for true experts in the design industry to comment on designs with impartial ( void of jealous reviews). So far I have yet to see any.
Please try calling Eric and ask for you money back on speaker grills not delivered yet. He will still make them. It may make you feel better to have your money back. Eric is training someone just to build grills. That will not happen over night. Someone said that they heard he hired people twice, SO WHAT. It takes 90 plus days just to train basics and break in new employees. I am sure is you call "without threats" he will do everything to help. IF Eric has a fault it is he gets overworked and tries to make everyone happy. Sometimes he does not give himself enough time. He is a very honest man with the best of intentions. Time management may be a shortcoming. Building great loudspeakers is his true gift. We can not be all things to all people.

Are you related to Eric by any chance? You seem to really be going out of your way to defend someone I would guess you probably haven't met in person.
So Eric builds all his own cabinets by hand? Or does he have then made for him to his spec's?
SoxIn4's Avatar SoxIn4
07:52 PM Liked: 10
post #644 of 1860
05-30-2013 | Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMac12 View Post

I ordered 3 days after you did . . . Lores w/grills and wood veneer.

I did not know about the option for less expensive cap upgrades. What convinced you these were a good thing to have?

I ordered my M-Lores with grills on March 25th and still haven't received them. When I initially spoke to him he quoted me 4-6 weeks as well, but it's not been over two months. I called him a few weeks back and spoke with him about my order. Funny thing is that he asked me to send him an email detailing the conversation. I did right after I got off the phone with him and received a reply a few days later saying only "Noted. Thanks!" He still didn't give me a time frame on my order even after speaking with him and emailing back and forth. I can certainly wait for my speakers, I'm in no rush, but I'm not sure I'll ever order a Tekton product ever again after this fiasco.
Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai
04:03 AM Liked: 600
post #645 of 1860
05-31-2013 | Posts: 14,982
Quote:

Is his by hand that much different than say Salk, Ascend, Philharmonic, and a host of others? And IMO, reference as a term is a bit overused to the point that no one knows what it means.

Quote:
This is true but it's not an excuse for quoting very misleading delivery times. People commit, they wait, wait a bit longer, and find themselves paralyzed. Do you think Eric would put up with late deliveries of supplies?
Quote:
Oh please! Aside from himself, he's said to have five other people as well as a CNC machine.
This isn't like an episode from Yankee Workshop where Norm the carpenter makes a piece of furniture with intricate cuts all by himself.
Quote:
I hope he solves his problems but unless you're privy to his books and other records being flooded is pure speculation.
Quote:
i happen to agree with you that careful shopping can lead to finding better speakers. I don't know about them all being the same parent company though.
Quote:
It will be interesting to hear you contrast them with your present setup. Will you be posting any graphs?
Quote:
[/QUOTE]it sounded like he was hiring some skilled labor according to Andrew Robinson. Full and not part time I trust.
yelnatsch517's Avatar yelnatsch517
04:24 AM Liked: 14
post #646 of 1860
05-31-2013 | Posts: 980
Quote:

How long do YOU think it takes to cut some pieces of wood and assemble it together? Are you seriously suggesting it takes more than 40 man hours to build a single pair of speakers? I really hope that is NOT what you are implying because that would be ludicrous. I have real world manufacturing supply chain experience. If Eric used efficient manufacturing processes, it shouldn't take him ver long to build a set of speakers. Seems like Eric could use a few Kaizens...
Badouri's Avatar Badouri
09:01 AM Liked: 56
post #647 of 1860
05-31-2013 | Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8POWER View Post

I just received my full size Pendragon's and I can easily say that these are the best speakers less than $25k I have ever heard. It is like wearing the best headphones ever, and as you turn it up you go from sitting back next to the sound man, to sitting on the stage with the musicians. It is a full musical experience with hearing and feeling the sound, full scalable, and pretty much without limit. These are replacing a pair of Vienna Acoustics, which I blew a driver in and while getting it fixed started looking. These Tekton Pendragons make the Vienna Acoustics sounds like they are in Kindergarden and Pendragon is playing on a top team in a top professional league. Completely different world and they probably have only 50 hours on them so far...

In this very positive review, the guy found one downside that some should take into consideration:
Quote:
The downside — and frankly, the only downside that I seem able to find — is that this also means that these are not speakers for the detail-freak. I talked to Eric about this, and he gave the verbal equivalent to a shrug. It’s the big flat baffle, he says. Getting more precision (read: detail) out of the drivers would require a lot of tweaking to the speaker’s cabinet. And when I say “a lot” I mean a lot. Something to tune of a couple of grand worth of tweaking. And that really wasn’t where this speaker was supposed to go. Eric also admitted that these drivers might not be as “hi-fi” sounding as some, but I’m on the fence as to whether this is a good or a bad thing. Borrowing a turn of phrase from Srajan Ebaen at 6moons, there’s no pixelation. In fact, they’re almost kind of smooth. On the plus side, everything sounds pretty good. Even crappy recordings! Like metal? You just found your speaker.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/01/25/part-ii-digging-in-to-the-tekton-pendragon/
JerryLove's Avatar JerryLove
10:22 AM Liked: 76
post #648 of 1860
05-31-2013 | Posts: 1,597
Quote:

Interesting thread.

You'll find some negative comments regarding the ability to match claims in this thread if you look.

Some other ID brands have a similar record (regarding reviews of sound quality): Salk comes to mind. JTR as well. Seaton. Phillharmonic. etc.

*edit*
Whoops. Others beat me to that point.
scottvamp's Avatar scottvamp
06:24 PM Liked: 22
post #649 of 1860
05-31-2013 | Posts: 71
I was checking out these Salk and Zu speakers that were being compared to the Pens and they were triple the price though.eek.gif

elvistehebeagle, looking forward to pics and your review of the Tektons.

Many people on the AVS forum claim to build much "better" speakers and subs for a fraction of the price of these indy companies and have incredible business knowledge. Why do you guys not operate your own million dollar speaker companies????? I would have loved to have been involved in just a part of a company like SVS. Total dream job!!!!
08:16 PM Liked: 76
post #650 of 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvamp View Post

I was checking out these Salk and Zu speakers that were being compared to the Pens and they were triple the price though.eek.gif

Tekton Pendragon: $2499 without grills.
Salk Songtower: $1999
Quote:
Many people on the AVS forum claim to build much "better" speakers and subs for a fraction of the price of these indy companies and have incredible business knowledge. Why do you guys not operate your own million dollar speaker companies????? I would have loved to have been involved in just a part of a company like SVS. Total dream job!!!!

Who was claiming that they could run a multi-million dollar speaker company? I believe people were commenting on why a struggling upstart with tremendous image issues was struggling and had tremendous image issues. I was unaware that one needed to own a multi-million dollar company to recognize bad customer service. When someone starts prognosticating how they would have strategically positioned Harmon Kardon differently, they your comment may become apt.

I grew up in a family owned business... one that survived well for 50 years. I agree with several here that one needs to manage customer expectations and deliver on promises.

FWIW. I am in the process of starting my third company, having sold off the second one a couple of years ago. It has nothing to do with speakers. (and if I could build much better speakers for a fraction of the price: that's what I'd be using at home... it isn't)
Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai
08:18 PM Liked: 600
post #651 of 1860
05-31-2013 | Posts: 14,982
Quote:

elvistehebeagle, looking forward to pics and your review of the Tektons.

There's a DIY section here at AVS where you can make a new thread and ask just that question. That is if you have the cojones.cool.gif

How much do you think that dream job pays?
08:30 PM Liked: 76
post #652 of 1860
Quote:

THANK YOU for showing me your speakers !!!!. My 5 piece Red Pendragons (I did not get the subs, but will get later, already have 2 Def Techs) will be here Friday.

So. To be clear. You do not possess any Tekton speakers (you have DefTechs) and have not, as far as I can tell, ever heard a pair.
Quote:
There is no other Loudspeaker at this price point that is even ballpark to this quality and performance.

Have you heard all loudspeakers at this price-point? Have you even heard the Tektons?

Can you please tell me how the JTR Noesis 212HT-lp fails to stand up? I'd love to hear your comparison.
Ditto for the Salk Song-Tower RT.
And, for that matter: how did this beat the Ascend Sierra RT?
The Philharmonic 2?

What? You haven't heard any of those?
So how can you make the statement above?
Quote:
The CLOWNS on this site that blabber about Eric having money problems or claiming he is less than truthful do not even own the speakers.

OK.

What about the people on this site who purchased speakers from Eric and are complaining about lies regarding shipping date, or suddenly non-arriving grills?

Unlike you (at the time of your posting above), they actually *have* the speakers in question.
Quote:
I am fairly sure that they have never been in the same room as any of Eric's products. They just make a lot of claims of speaker specs being inflated or unconfirmed. Mojo Stereo review did quit a few tests.

Have you?

What about "other" loudspeakers? You know: the ones that aren't even in the ballpark for quality.

Have you ever been in the room with a Philharmonic 2?

Are you a clown?
Quote:
I feel that there are a few people on this " discussion form" who are from the speaker industry who have never had the vision or drive to create anything worth marketing. Maybe out of frustration or jealousy they attack a person who took a lot of risks and put his ass on the line while creating some affordable and very fine loudspeakers.

That's an easy theory to test though isn't it? Walk on over to the threads for Ascend, Salk, JTR, Seaton, Philharmonic, etc. and see if the pattern repeats there.

I've been on most of those. It doesn't.
Quote:
But he can only hire and train so fast. HE himself builds the speakers.

So? How many employees does Eric have and when did he hire them?
Quote:
Friday my speakers will be here and I will share with all how they sound and after the "break in"period how much better they sound. I did a lot of "homework" on Eric and Tekton before placing my order. I have found that Eric is a very honest person. His company is in very good financial shape.

So Eric gave you his bank statements? Please share with us the source of this knowledge.

I'll hold my breath.
CruelInventions's Avatar CruelInventions
09:30 PM Liked: 202
post #653 of 1860
05-31-2013 | Posts: 4,589
Incisive reply, JerryLove. Points well made.

Quote:

I will try to use more paragraphs. I did not realize this was a creative writing class . OR is it just something else to find fault with.

No, it's not a creative writing class nor just a means to keep piling on. But it is a little about having respect for your readers. Paragraph breaks are akin to giving your readers a visual breather, making it easier for them to follow along, to keep track of where they're at in the continuum of text. A giant slab of unbroken text can be a little daunting to get through.
Byrdman01's Avatar Byrdman01
11:47 PM Liked: 16
post #654 of 1860
05-31-2013 | Posts: 9
He is a very honest man with the best of intentions. Time management may be a shortcoming. Building great loudspeakers is his true gift. We can not be all things to all people.[/quote]

How do you know his intentions? My experience is that he is a serial liar and probably needs a psychiatrist. I will post my e-mails that i have exchanged with him.

I previously wrote about how he is a liar but I am here to tell you that he is a nut case.

His speakers may as well be unicorns - people tell me all the time how great their unicorn is and I am currently waiting for my unicorn to ship. When I receive my unicorn, I will tell all of you how wonderful it is.

I'm sure I'll receive my m-lores the same time I receive my unicorn.

Here is a recent e-mail I received from Eric -

"Hi Chris,

I am sorry and I do understand. Your order means a lot to me. Are you one on of the individuals posting about me on the web? Are you are that I am going through here - a parental kidnapping and a divorce? I have three young sons under 8 years old that have literally been stolen from me. This problem took me off schedule last November and I have been working feverishly to catch back up ever since then.

Your loyalty and patience means a lot to me. If you would like the speakers... I would love to get them to you! Otherwise, as you've suggested let's do cancel your order promptly.

Please let me know which way you would like to go?

Best regards,

Eric Alexander"

Well, I am always up for giving someone a second chance so here is my response -

Hi Eric,

I truly am sorry you are going through the personal problems that you mentioned and I would not wish that on anyone but that doesn't account for the dishonesty .I have posted about my experience with you on the web. If my experience was great, I would have gladly wrote that. You should be happy to know that in the 20 page thread, I never read a post that said your loudspeakers are sub-par.
Yes, I would like the loudspeakers I ordered. Please give me a realistic time frame.
Regards,

Chris

To which Eric replied -

Hi Chris,

I appreciate this. I will ship them out this week.

Thank you.

Eric Alexander

Well, needless to say, nothing was shipped. Eric is a nut case and I cancelled my order with him.

I really wanted his speakers but it's obvious that they are not real. not in the sense that you and I know. You cannot order these speakers and actually expect to receive them. Maybe you will receive them but maybe you won't.
crn3371's Avatar crn3371
12:00 AM Liked: 50
post #655 of 1860
06-01-2013 | Posts: 838
I can't see how any potential customer could read this thread and still continue to order speakers.
01:31 AM Liked: 1222
post #656 of 1860
06-01-2013 | Posts: 6,677
It's almost said to read that, I had a good friend go threw a ugly divorce and its crazy what it can do to people. I feel for him but he needs to get his crap together.
mechx's Avatar mechx
03:21 AM Liked: 15
post #657 of 1860
06-01-2013 | Posts: 153
2 pair of Lores for sale here, no wait...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116898.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116831.0
jimsfield's Avatar jimsfield
07:58 AM Liked: 10
post #658 of 1860
06-01-2013 | Posts: 323
Quote:

I believe you're wrong about the price of the Zu speakers. The Zu Omen Def is the most comparable to the Pendragon. The price is $3,200 per pair and I think this includes shipping. The Pendragon is $2,499 and I think this does not include shipping. They're pretty equivalent in price.

I believe the Pens use 2 off the shelf full-range Eminence drivers. The Omen Def uses 2 full-range drivers designed by Zu and manufactured by Eminence to Zu's specifications. Zu speakers have received numerous very positive reviews from the audiofile community going back about a decade. They also have a sensitivity of 100dB, which is higher than the Pendragon's. The Omen Def is a diamond in the rough for home theater use (unnoticed because Zu has never marketed to the home theater market).
mogrub's Avatar mogrub
09:29 AM Liked: 132
post #659 of 1860
06-01-2013 | Posts: 589
The Zu Omen Def is no longer in production.
mechx's Avatar mechx
10:39 AM Liked: 15
post #660 of 1860
06-01-2013 | Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post

The Zu Omen Def is no longer in production.

Is this per Zu?

You can still add them to cart on their website and it says they have a 4-6 weeks lead time???
Tags: Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread