Tekton Pendragon - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #721 of 1860 Old 06-07-2013, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Does it really matter if Eric is Mormon or not and is getting a divorce? We should at least try to keep some of this stuff out of our posts. The fact that he's Mormon and getting a divorce really has nothing to do with this IMO.[/quote]

I agree about the Mormon part however, when his personal issues ( divorce ) and such are given to me via email as the reason for my non-delivery does it not open the door for discussion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1860 Old 06-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Does it really matter if Eric is Mormon or not and is getting a divorce? We should at least try to keep some of this stuff out of our posts. The fact that he's Mormon and getting a divorce really has nothing to do with this IMO.

Yep, this is pretty sad. Some lines are really being crossed and surely of topic. My questions seem to be ignored. Or anyone with Pendragons have been put off this thread.mad.gif This is the only thread I have followed on here, is it like this on most other threads? I think I am good on my own;) WOW
post #723 of 1860 Old 06-07-2013, 06:11 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaga Nation View Post

so did you cancel your order?

I did. The funny thing is, I canceled on a Friday and the following Monday, Eric replied and said OK, he would cancel my order but I should know - the speakers I ordered were ready. Ha ha. I'm not making that up. I didn't reply. I had enough.
its phillip likes this.
post #724 of 1860 Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman01 View Post

I did. The funny thing is, I canceled on a Friday and the following Monday, Eric replied and said OK, he would cancel my order but I should know - the speakers I ordered were ready. Ha ha. I'm not making that up. I didn't reply. I had enough.

Well good for you for taking a stand and not taking the speakers after Eric said they were ready to shp.
post #725 of 1860 Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman5000 View Post

Does it really matter if Eric is Mormon or not and is getting a divorce? We should at least try to keep some of this stuff out of our posts. The fact that he's Mormon and getting a divorce really has nothing to do with this IMO.

I agree about the Mormon part however, when his personal issues ( divorce ) and such are given via email as the reason for non-delivery does it not open the door for discussion?[/quote]

My reason for posting that info is because I have my doubts about anything that he says being the truth. I believe he said that only to garner sympathy from me. He doesn't know me. Why share something as personal as that? Which begs the question - how personal can it be if he is sharing that info with a complete stranger?
its phillip likes this.
post #726 of 1860 Old 06-07-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Well good for you for taking a stand and not taking the speakers after Eric said they were ready to shp.

LOL!!!

TOO FUNNY!

This has been going on for FIVE FREAKING MONTHS!!! He has been telling me over and over again how they would be shipping soon. One more week! Two more weeks! Oh - We are really close now! I canceled once and he said he would ship them the following week so I gave him one more chance and he didn't ship them. So when I said that's it - he says they're ready. Are you kidding me?
post #727 of 1860 Old 06-07-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Bye the way - I was drooling over the thought of owning these speakers. I was checking my credit card web site to see if he had charged it so I would know that they were on their way. I spent quite a bit of time reading the posts on this site and elsewhere before deciding to order Tekton speakers and I was really enjoying myself for a while there. I have written a few posts here ranting about what I think about Eric but not once have I said that people should stay away or not order from him. I am stating the facts of my experience. People can make up their own minds as to whether or not they want to deal with Eric. Nothing I have said regarding this matter is false. Call me crazy but it seems as though there is a common thread here. Even the people that have received his speakers and said they are awesome, have said he was dishonest with them.

The final straw for me was when I initially canceled and he said he would have them the following week. After that week went bye and he didn't even bother to email me saying sorry, please give me one more week, nothing - that was it. Is it possible that my speakers were ready to ship? Sure it is. It's just not very likely.
post #728 of 1860 Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I bring it up because of the below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman01 View Post

My reason for posting that info is because I have my doubts about anything that he says being the truth. I believe he said that only to garner sympathy from me. He doesn't know me. Why share something as personal as that? Which begs the question - how personal can it be if he is sharing that info with a complete stranger?

I'm not so naive as to believe everything everyone says.
post #729 of 1860 Old 06-08-2013, 09:42 PM

Liked: 18
This about model Lore--but very pertinent---
I just read a lot of posts in the Pendragon Forum.
There are some unhappy campers there, freely venting about their experiences with Tekton's service level.
I ordered a pair of Lore's in Dec. 2012, paying up-front via Paypal. I was also given an unrealistic ship date. Had to become the squeaky wheel. Also heard all the tall tales about divorce, kidnapping, etc.
Finally received the pair of Lore's in January. I always had a nagging feeling that maybe I ended up with a pair that was hastily assembled and possibly not properly tested--although I have no proof of that actually being the case. I could write pages about how much I love the sound, although I could probably not find adequate words.
First drove them with a Pioneer VSX 915, then added an Emotiva UPA-700. Used the pre-amp outs from the Pioneer. Life was wonderful, until one of the Audax Gold tweeters blew up.
I emailed Eric to ask for a new tweeter under his 5 year warranty. His response was:

"Bummer! 95% of the time this type of problem is a power exposure issue and burnt or open voice coils are not covered by warranty. The good news here though is that this is replaceable diaphragm tweeter. The simplest and fastest path here would be for you to order a new diaphragm from Madisound and make the swap."
So, now the alleged warranty turns out to be warranty at all? I wonder if the woofer is covered? The paint on the speaker cabinet? Maybe Eric would send you a new set of spikes, in the event the old ones get dull? Or offer to re-sharpen them?

Eric asked me to mail him the burned-out Audax coil. I threw good money after bad and priority-mailed it to him. I neve received a reply. As I removed the bad tweeter in order to install the new coil, I noticed that the black wire was on the plus terminal, and the red wire on the smaller minus terminal. I emailed Eric, asking him to confirm this was correct. I never received an answer.
I energized the input terminals on the back of the cabinet with a 1.5V battery, and used a volt meter at the tweeter connection to verify the polarity. Yes, black on positive was correct.
After fixing the tweeter at my own expense, I switched to running the front main Lore's with an Integra ADM 2.1. (105W/ch at 8 ohm) Wow! Lore's started sounding even better.
Then, on May 27, Both tweeters blew. The newly replaced unit, as well as the other original. At that point I emailed Eric. I told him that the best sounding speakers on the planet are of no use to me, if I cannot play them as loud as I please. I suggested to send me a pair of shipping boxes (I discarded my boxes early April), along with a prepaid Fedex label, have me send them back, give me a refund, minus his original $60 shipping--and we would part friends. He left me a voice mail, sweet as pie---no problem, whatever it takes to make you happy--refund, no problem--call me in the morning.
Well, by "the morning" next day I had a new email from him. He went into lengthy explanations of how many speakers he had built---how it is obviously a problem with my amps, etc. He did offer to let me ship the Lore's back to him at my expense, "for examination", with a vague promise to refund my shipping costs under certain coditions.
I called him, and we had a lively discussion. Eventually we settled into a congenial tone of conversation. I related to him some of the hi-end speakers I have had in the last 50 years. Also mentioned that a single woofer on a pair of Snell monitors I had in the late 80's was the only driver I ever blew up--ever-ever. Eric was thinking out loud to me. Suggested maybe a trade-up to Pendragons--but then said--no--bad idea--the Pendragon tweeter is even more delicate. He also mentioned he had a Pendragon owner who regurlarly blows up his tweeters--but "that man doesn't get as angry about it as you" --- and yes, he also admits playing his Pendragons loud. Comforting!
Lastly, I inquired if a x-over mod may be helpful. Eric jumped at that idea. Immediately mailed me two 8.2 uf, and two 3.3 uf caps, to replace the existing 10 and 4's, respectively. Supposedly that will reduce the tweeter output. As I was repairing the tweeter coils I took a closer peak inside the cabinets. X-over is mounted on a cross-brace just below tweeter level. No visible attaching screws--suspect the x-o board is glued to the brace. Emailed Eric with that question. He replied to call him. Have not yet called him. I suspect he will tell me to do the cap swap through the woofer cutout. Sorry--I'm talented, but have no experience building ships-in-a-bottle. Besides, do I really want reduced tweeter output? Did I not pay for the sound the Lore's have 'as-is" ? Besides, If I wanted to sell these, I feel that original state would be better than some hail-mary last-ditch effort capacitor modification. What do you think?

Any comments on the proposed mod are welcome. Anybody out there having similar tweeter issues?

I'm new around here---Is there a way to advertise a pair of Lore's for sale on this Forum? Any other advice?
its phillip likes this.
post #730 of 1860 Old 06-08-2013, 11:17 PM

Well, that certainly makes me rethink the Lore loudspeakers I have been waiting 7wks for...
post #731 of 1860 Old 06-08-2013, 11:27 PM

Much as I truly love the Lore's, I gotta tell you--don't do it. Cancel the order.
Live is too short to put up with this.
Me, I'm about to overdose and bid on these Zu's:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261224554009?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
post #732 of 1860 Old 06-08-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidesertrat View Post

Much as I truly love the Lore's, I gotta tell you--don't do it. Cancel the order.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261224554009?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Take a serious look at the Ascend Acoustic Sierra towers.
post #733 of 1860 Old 06-09-2013, 01:03 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:

This about model Lore--but very pertinent---
I just read a lot of posts in the Pendragon Forum.
There are some unhappy campers there, freely venting about their experiences with Tekton's service level.
I ordered a pair of Lore's in Dec. 2012, paying up-front via Paypal. I was also given an unrealistic ship date. Had to become the squeaky wheel. Also heard all the tall tales about divorce, kidnapping, etc.
Finally received the pair of Lore's in January. I always had a nagging feeling that maybe I ended up with a pair that was hastily assembled and possibly not properly tested--although I have no proof of that actually being the case. I could write pages about how much I love the sound, although I could probably not find adequate words.
First drove them with a Pioneer VSX 915, then added an Emotiva UPA-700. Used the pre-amp outs from the Pioneer. Life was wonderful, until one of the Audax Gold tweeters blew up.
I emailed Eric to ask for a new tweeter under his 5 year warranty. His response was:

"Bummer! 95% of the time this type of problem is a power exposure issue and burnt or open voice coils are not covered by warranty. The good news here though is that this is replaceable diaphragm tweeter. The simplest and fastest path here would be for you to order a new diaphragm from Madisound and make the swap."
So, now the alleged warranty turns out to be warranty at all? I wonder if the woofer is covered? The paint on the speaker cabinet? Maybe Eric would send you a new set of spikes, in the event the old ones get dull? Or offer to re-sharpen them?

Eric asked me to mail him the burned-out Audax coil. I threw good money after bad and priority-mailed it to him. I neve received a reply. As I removed the bad tweeter in order to install the new coil, I noticed that the black wire was on the plus terminal, and the red wire on the smaller minus terminal. I emailed Eric, asking him to confirm this was correct. I never received an answer.
I energized the input terminals on the back of the cabinet with a 1.5V battery, and used a volt meter at the tweeter connection to verify the polarity. Yes, black on positive was correct.
After fixing the tweeter at my own expense, I switched to running the front main Lore's with an Integra ADM 2.1. (105W/ch at 8 ohm) Wow! Lore's started sounding even better.
Then, on May 27, Both tweeters blew. The newly replaced unit, as well as the other original. At that point I emailed Eric. I told him that the best sounding speakers on the planet are of no use to me, if I cannot play them as loud as I please. I suggested to send me a pair of shipping boxes (I discarded my boxes early April), along with a prepaid Fedex label, have me send them back, give me a refund, minus his original $60 shipping--and we would part friends. He left me a voice mail, sweet as pie---no problem, whatever it takes to make you happy--refund, no problem--call me in the morning.
Well, by "the morning" next day I had a new email from him. He went into lengthy explanations of how many speakers he had built---how it is obviously a problem with my amps, etc. He did offer to let me ship the Lore's back to him at my expense, "for examination", with a vague promise to refund my shipping costs under certain coditions.
I called him, and we had a lively discussion. Eventually we settled into a congenial tone of conversation. I related to him some of the hi-end speakers I have had in the last 50 years. Also mentioned that a single woofer on a pair of Snell monitors I had in the late 80's was the only driver I ever blew up--ever-ever. Eric was thinking out loud to me. Suggested maybe a trade-up to Pendragons--but then said--no--bad idea--the Pendragon tweeter is even more delicate. He also mentioned he had a Pendragon owner who regurlarly blows up his tweeters--but "that man doesn't get as angry about it as you" --- and yes, he also admits playing his Pendragons loud. Comforting!
Lastly, I inquired if a x-over mod may be helpful. Eric jumped at that idea. Immediately mailed me two 8.2 uf, and two 3.3 uf caps, to replace the existing 10 and 4's, respectively. Supposedly that will reduce the tweeter output. As I was repairing the tweeter coils I took a closer peak inside the cabinets. X-over is mounted on a cross-brace just below tweeter level. No visible attaching screws--suspect the x-o board is glued to the brace. Emailed Eric with that question. He replied to call him. Have not yet called him. I suspect he will tell me to do the cap swap through the woofer cutout. Sorry--I'm talented, but have no experience building ships-in-a-bottle. Besides, do I really want reduced tweeter output? Did I not pay for the sound the Lore's have 'as-is" ? Besides, If I wanted to sell these, I feel that original state would be better than some hail-mary last-ditch effort capacitor modification. What do you think?

Any comments on the proposed mod are welcome. Anybody out there having similar tweeter issues?

I'm new around here---Is there a way to advertise a pair of Lore's for sale on this Forum? Any other advice?

So sorry for your bad experience with your blown speakers. I have wondered what would happen if anyone experienced any issues such as this and how warrantee and customer service would be handled. Good info but hate things are not smooth for you.

I am not a speaker builder but I am a pro audio installer and have sold thousands of speakers from my early time starting out as a Circuit City Audio salesman in early 90's ( I bet I sold 500 pr of the JBL Lx44 in one year alone).Then, to a high end audio store selling B&W and such then to my pro audio install business and my time as a live sound front of house tech.

In all that time I have only blown one tweeter myself and truly only seen a hand full of blown tweeters from my customers...Possibly 4 or 5 total over the years. The only times I have ever seen them blow is from not having enough clean power and the amp being used was being driven into clipping.

Are you hearing even the slightest audible distortion when you crank it? Looks like you have been using lots of speakers over 50 years and not blowing them so I don't know?

I would guess a tweet crossed over on the low side out of spec could be an issue as that would take them out. I wonder if you could verify the crossover point and slope of db roll off per octave from Tekton and then verify what the tweet manufacture specifications suggestion is for a recommended crossover point and slope. I never had to consider crossover points except for my live sound stuff as the JBL, B&W and such I bet for sure the crossovers are in spec, not saying Tekton is not but is worth asking and verifying I guess.

I am only running 7 to 15 wpc ( tube watts) in about a 16' deep room with my Pendragons and I do not want it any louder and Im a x pro rock drummer so I don't know. At my normal level no way a tweet would cook but I have friends that like it louder than what I do. I always told customers that power does not kill speakers distortion kills them so I am wondering if you amp is clipping the slightest bit. How loud do you like it? Adding anything crazy in the loop like a EQ boosting the highs or anything? Have the treble cranked on the Pioneer, EQ / Tone set flat?
I would guess you need more power or more efficient speakers or both but they are efficient so who knows? I still ask do you like your music / video big time loud?

You may consider purchasing a Parts Express SPL meter ( like $20) and see exactly what db volume level is the norm for you if you consider yourself one who cranks them up. If your not cranking it and the speakers are blowing and they are in spec could you not collect warrantee from the tweet manufacture as Im thinking may be a driver flaw? just my thoughts?
Thanks for keeping us posted on your experiences.
Hope you get them fixed at no charge.
post #734 of 1860 Old 06-09-2013, 02:45 AM

No distortion or clipping issues here, Eric claims 18 DB/Octave x-over;

I am too old for this bs. I want loud, and louder. If I cannot feel the music--sitting on my leather recliner --it is no good for me.

Sorry to admit that I just went psycho--buying a pair of Zu Audio Omen Def Mk.I-B on e-bay for a gadzillion dollars.

So, if these things do not play loud, as I like, there will be h to pay !!!

Anybody out there wanting to cheer me on for my purchase??

Tell meI did wrong?

Go ahead, p;ease
post #735 of 1860 Old 06-09-2013, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Exact speakers I have, You will love them...

Look, I crank my defs to ear bleeding levels with no problem, no distortion and they play clean at those levels with ease. I also was close to ordering pendragons, until I discovered the Omen Def's. After researching that the defs were preferred to the pendragons, it was a no brainer for me.

After 3 months of ownership of the Omen Def's, I am still amazed every time I fire them up... smile.gif
post #736 of 1860 Old 06-09-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 56
Quote:

Eric was thinking out loud to me. Suggested maybe a trade-up to Pendragons--but then said--no--bad idea--the Pendragon tweeter is even more delicate. He also mentioned he had a Pendragon owner who regurlarly blows up his tweeters--but "that man doesn't get as angry about it as you" --- and yes, he also admits playing his Pendragons loud. Comforting!
In addition to what was mentioned in post #647, some compare them to Wilson speakers...
post #737 of 1860 Old 06-09-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:

No distortion or clipping issues here, Eric claims 18 DB/Octave x-over;

I am too old for this bs. I want loud, and louder. If I cannot feel the music--sitting on my leather recliner --it is no good for me.

Sorry to admit that I just went psycho--buying a pair of Zu Audio Omen Def Mk.I-B on e-bay for a gadzillion dollars.

So, if these things do not play loud, as I like, there will be h to pay !!!

Anybody out there wanting to cheer me on for my purchase??

Tell meI did wrong?

Go ahead, p;ease

Very wise purchase! I'm biased however. smile.gif
post #738 of 1860 Old 06-09-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You did not get it wrong. You will love your Zus. They will blow you out of your room and you will love the sound.
post #739 of 1860 Old 06-09-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 159
For all Eric is doing wrong If he is selling more speakers than he can build he must be doing something right.
My guess would be the speakers since its not the customer service.
So if someone has 3 weeks to 6 months to wait on pair of the Pendragons that may or may not come with a grill then it seems like the actual owners are satisfied. smile.gif
Chris

Chris
post #740 of 1860 Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

For all Eric is doing wrong If he is selling more speakers than he can build he must be doing something right.
My guess would be the speakers since its not the customer service.
So if someone has 3 weeks to 6 months to wait on pair of the Pendragons that may or may not come with a grill then it seems like the actual owners are satisfied. smile.gif
Chris

I wouldn't get too far ahead of yourself here. With several owners selling their lores, m-lores and pens, 2 pairs of pens for sale on audiogon in the last 6 months, a few pairs of m-lores and lores on audio circle and ebay, why so many selling them if they are the speaker to end all speakers? Now we see he will not honor a simple warranty request. I'm sure the speakers sound great, as most owners do love them, but there seems to be some scary warning signs owning Tekton speakers. Time will tell...and in this case, it seems time is not on Eric's side.
post #741 of 1860 Old 06-11-2013, 12:44 PM

After a seven week wait and reading about the tweeter failure I was ready to cancel my order... However, Eric called me and stated emphatically that he will ship my order by Friday and that to his knowledge no one else has experienced any issues with the Lore tweeter. As I would like to hear the Tekton sound I agreed to wait a bit longer.

I will post whether or not Eric is true to his word as far as shipment since that is clearly what is being most widely discussed.

I will also post impressions once I receive them. Like most every hobbyist, I have a number of speakers around to compare them to, including some from a former employer of Erics', Aperion. (VGT's, very different design, i know)
post #742 of 1860 Old 06-11-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrow099 View Post

After a seven week wait and reading about the tweeter failure I was ready to cancel my order... However, Eric called me and stated emphatically that he will ship my order by Friday and that to his knowledge no one else has experienced any issues with the Lore tweeter. As I would like to hear the Tekton sound I agreed to wait a bit longer.

I will post whether or not Eric is true to his word as far as shipment since that is clearly what is being most widely discussed.

I will also post impressions once I receive them. Like most every hobbyist, I have a number of speakers around to compare them to, including some from a former employer of Erics', Aperion. (VGT's, very different design, i know)

Just curious, what was your order date?

I ordered Lores on 4/26...Friday makes 7 weeks and i was going to call him tomorrow or thursday. Interested to see if he will deliver for you.
post #743 of 1860 Old 06-11-2013, 03:04 PM

I ordered through the website and paid via paypal 4/22/13.

I will tell you that he was outright insulted when I questioned the time frame he gave me and actually asked me if he stuttered. heh
Chaga Nation likes this.
post #744 of 1860 Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

I will tell you that he was outright insulted when I questioned the time frame he gave me and actually asked me if he stuttered. heh

When you asked him he actually replied "did I stutter?"

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #745 of 1860 Old 06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am surprised you did business with him after that remark. Make sure you understand the return policy as it is not Risk Free as it states on the website. Be sure and read the last bullet point fine print that you will be charged a 15% restocking fee, in addition to return shipping.
post #746 of 1860 Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 PM

Alright well my order has been refunded... Odd move on their part for sure.
Eric was straight ranting on the phone when he called me. Perhaps he decided he doesn't want my business?!

Oh well, guy was all angry and rude on the phone anyway. rolleyes.gif
post #747 of 1860 Old 06-11-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:

he probably feels like a parent with a bunch of kids in the back of the car, nagging the **** out of him day and night "are we there yet (are they done yet)"?

But he did it to himself by sending speakers he knew were really good out for review. For him not to expect an onslaught (at that price) was short sighted to say the least.

Hopefully he gets it together.
post #748 of 1860 Old 06-11-2013, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've been following this thread for a few weeks as I was considering trying out a pair of Enzos. I called and left two messages @ Tekton that were never returned.
I ended up with Aperions but this is still interesting to follow. Now it sounds like the poor guy might have cracked!

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

post #749 of 1860 Old 06-11-2013, 04:41 PM

Well he cancelled my order because I posted about my experience with him here.
Ironically I thought I was holding back by not mentioning how rude he was on the phone! eek.gif

Oh well, I guess I'll check out Zu or JTR instead.
post #750 of 1860 Old 06-11-2013, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
is this like the speaker brand of the week? I have never of this brand, and bam, next thing you know, we have like at least 2-3 threads about Tekton....How did this brand get discovered? Did they just get a rave review in some magazine or had a great showing at an audio show?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page