post #811 of 1860 Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman5000 View Post

Good Question...This July will mark 11 months from my Pendragon order date...Still no grills and I paid for them when my speakers shipped last year.
Please someone, anyone let us know if you get grills.

That's ridicous, I'm sorry but hearing stuff like that is a clear indication that Eric doesn't give a rats a$$ about people he's already gotten money from. Which really is a shame because its only his company that he's hurting. I would be so frustrated if I was a customer that had paid for grills 11 months ago and still waiting. Not cool at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1860 Old 06-28-2013, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow no grill,s after almost a year. Not cool and I am a fan of Tekton
post #813 of 1860 Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackie2 View Post

Wow no grill,s after almost a year. Not cool and I am a fan of Tekton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

That's ridicous, I'm sorry but hearing stuff like that is a clear indication that Eric doesn't give a rats a$$ about people he's already gotten money from. Which really is a shame because its only his company that he's hurting. I would be so frustrated if I was a customer that had paid for grills 11 months ago and still waiting. Not cool at all!

No guys, wait...really...he's just super busy, going thru some growing pains, and these unbelievable, top performing grills are so darn good, they are worth the wait, even at twice the cost and a 5 year lead time! rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif
post #814 of 1860 Old 06-28-2013, 09:16 AM

Liked: 21
Maybe this comparison is not "apples to apples", but.........

I ordered a Power Sound Audio subwoofer on 24 June - the XV15 model, probably their best selling model from a company that had been in existence for 1 year.

I received a confirmatory email within 10 minutes, a second email 8 hours later stating it had been shipped, a phone call from Fed Ex on 26 June saying it was coming the next day, and it arrived yesterday ( 27 June at 11 am local time) in pristine condition......

That, gentlemen ( and ladies), is customer service from a company that knows what it is doing..............
tonygeno likes this.
post #815 of 1860 Old 06-28-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Reading these Tekton threads is like watching a train wreck from afar. It's a vicarious thrill that does not end well. Anyone who sends money to this guy from this point forward gets what they deserve.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #816 of 1860 Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1 View Post

I ordered a Power Sound Audio subwoofer on 24 June - the XV15 model, probably their best selling model from a company that had been in existence for 1 year.

I received a confirmatory email within 10 minutes, a second email 8 hours later stating it had been shipped, a phone call from Fed Ex on 26 June saying it was coming the next day, and it arrived yesterday ( 27 June at 11 am local time) in pristine condition......

That, gentlemen ( and ladies), is customer service from a company that knows what it is doing..............

It's defiantly not apples to apples, Tom & Jim from PSA are setting the new standard in the ID market that all ID companies will be measured against. That bar has been set very high by them period!
post #817 of 1860 Old 06-28-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Well, Tekton is also setting their own bar just that it's located on the other end.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #818 of 1860 Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

They're being drop shipped directly from Godot Industries. wink.gif

This thread is like a soap opera. I come to read it just to see if anybody received any grills. 11 months and no grills is just crazy.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #819 of 1860 Old 06-28-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1 View Post

Of course, Tom V was a co-funder of SVS and they got to what it is now because of the quality and formost customer service.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #820 of 1860 Old 06-29-2013, 05:25 AM

Hey Everyone, I did Have a problem With one of my speakers. This was this past Tuesday I called Eric , My parts came yesterday and someone other than Eric called me back. So something must be improving .
post #821 of 1860 Old 06-29-2013, 09:03 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Hey Everyone, I did Have a problem With one of my speakers. This was this past Tuesday I called Eric , My parts came yesterday and someone other than Eric called me back. So something must be improving .

What was the nature of the "problem". What parts were involved?
post #822 of 1860 Old 07-01-2013, 08:13 AM

I blew a speaker. With in 4 Day,s I had a New speaker. I am now up and running
post #823 of 1860 Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:

I blew a speaker. With in 4 Day,s I had a New speaker. I am now up and running

Post #16, Page 1, Tekton Lore Owners, might be of interest to you.
post #824 of 1860 Old 07-04-2013, 12:26 PM

Liked: 35
Its encouraging to see that Tekton is working to improve communication and service as promised.

Maybe my perspective on the blown tweeter situation is a little upside down…but here goes. Tekton loudspeakers are not the same as the Cerwin Vegas of the 80’s and 90’s…speakers that would take abuse and where the sole objective was volume. Tektons are audiophile loudspeakers that were designed to be extremely musical and highly efficient. The will take a lot of clean power and will play very loud. I’m sure that Eric would say that his objective was sound quality and not sound pressure level. They do not have built in protection and as such, the rules we all know about apply; tweeters can be destroyed by too much power, overheating by playing too loud, too long, and clipped power.

Here is the problem. Many loudspeakers start to protest when they get close to the breaking point…you get a warning with strain and harshness and you can back off before damage occurs. MLores, Lores, Enzos, and Pendragons can play so loud so cleanly that it is very difficult to know when they are at the edge. In this respect, I think it speaks well to the overall design that they can play so loud and sound so good and yet so few tweeters have been blown…on the other hand, maybe not too many of us listen for long periods of time at over 110db?

One final note, I own a pair of Lores. They are rated to be able to take 200 Watts, which would put them somewhere over 110db at a 12’ listening distance (http://tektondesign.com/lore.html). I’m driving them with a Crown XLS Drivecore 2000 which puts out 375 RMS/channel into 8 ohms. I’d much rather have a lot of extra headroom than risk clipping…and if you are going to be playing discs like Terarc’s “Chiller”, you better have a lot of clean power to spare.
hidesertrat likes this.
post #825 of 1860 Old 07-04-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, that Eric is working so hard to improve communication and service. tongue.gif
Byrdman01 likes this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #826 of 1860 Old 07-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked: 11
FedEx is delivering my Pendragon towers and center channel tomorrow, 6 weeks to the day from order. Was quoted 4-6 so they made it within that time frame. In the email it said the grills are 30 days out, Eric said he has an outside vendor making them now. Will report back after I have some time on them as to how they sound.
post #827 of 1860 Old 07-08-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebean View Post

FedEx is delivering my Pendragon towers and center channel tomorrow, 6 weeks to the day from order. Was quoted 4-6 so they made it within that time frame. In the email it said the grills are 30 days out, Eric said he has an outside vendor making them now. Will report back after I have some time on them as to how they sound.

Wow, I think that's great that you were able to get your speakers within the quoted time frame. That's great to hear, but I wouldn't hold your breath on the grills. There's at least one forum member here who paid for grills over 11 months ago and still hasn't received grills.
post #828 of 1860 Old 07-08-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2013 View Post

Its encouraging to see that Tekton is working to improve communication and service as promised.

Maybe my perspective on the blown tweeter situation is a little upside down…but here goes. Tekton loudspeakers are not the same as the Cerwin Vegas of the 80’s and 90’s…speakers that would take abuse and where the sole objective was volume. Tektons are audiophile loudspeakers that were designed to be extremely musical and highly efficient. The will take a lot of clean power and will play very loud. I’m sure that Eric would say that his objective was sound quality and not sound pressure level. They do not have built in protection and as such, the rules we all know about apply; tweeters can be destroyed by too much power, overheating by playing too loud, too long, and clipped power.

Here is the problem. Many loudspeakers start to protest when they get close to the breaking point…you get a warning with strain and harshness and you can back off before damage occurs. MLores, Lores, Enzos, and Pendragons can play so loud so cleanly that it is very difficult to know when they are at the edge. In this respect, I think it speaks well to the overall design that they can play so loud and sound so good and yet so few tweeters have been blown…on the other hand, maybe not too many of us listen for long periods of time at over 110db?

One final note, I own a pair of Lores. They are rated to be able to take 200 Watts, which would put them somewhere over 110db at a 12’ listening distance (http://tektondesign.com/lore.html). I’m driving them with a Crown XLS Drivecore 2000 which puts out 375 RMS/channel into 8 ohms. I’d much rather have a lot of extra headroom than risk clipping…and if you are going to be playing discs like Terarc’s “Chiller”, you better have a lot of clean power to spare.

First off, I gave you a thumbs up for your very factual, logical, sincere, and passionate post.
However, the height of your logic does not outshine the depth of my conviction that there exixts some deficiency in the Lores.
I cannot prove to you that my amps were not clipping, or faulty in some other way. I certainly don't believe I ever heard 110 DB, or even anything over 98, if that.
I will only re-state that, 50 years ago, I first mounted a pair of raw full-range drivers in the corners of my kid's room sliding door closet and hooked them up to to a heathkit tube amp. Little did I know I had inadvertently created an infinite baffle system smile.gif. Later in life, I moved on to AR-2A's, Baby Advents, Bose 901's, 1970's 3-way Mitsubishis-bi-amping with dual-mono Mitsu amps. Then on to small Magneplanars, larger Maggies--coupled with Dahlquist passive x-overs and subs--Snell monitors on stands filled with lead shot---VMPS Supertowers--and a half dozen other speakers I cannot even remember right now. A lot of that gear was bi-amped with Carver 1.5 Magnetic Field Amps. As mentioned before, the only driver I ever blew was one woofer in that pair of Snell monitors. Ever, mind you, please.

For over 5 years of my pre-Lore Life, I had a pair of Fried Q-5's, 8 in 2-ways (coupled with a pair of low-end 12 in C.V. servo subs) Drove this combo as loud as I liked--never a single problem. Still, possibly the best thing I have ever heard. Sound good on almost everything, while Lore's only like some perfect recordings... Center image like nothing else on the planet---floats a voice in the center in midair...

Now--it gets interesting. ----Given the Lore tweeter controversy (I replaced 3 of them to-date) I decided to try something. I pulled out a pair or RS-1000'S out of the closet.
(size of a loaf of bread---Infi polycell tweets with 4 in woofers) Unused, un-needed--unwanted--cannot even get 50 bucks for them on ebay.
Hooked them up instead of the Lore's. Same Integra ADM 2.1 Power Amp. Same twin subs. Mercilessly cranked up the volume (Gee-those tiny Infis sounded good with a sub!!)
It took a good 90 minutes of Tribe 5 and some other mix of very dynamic accoustic guitar with disco electronic beat--to finally fuse the woofer voice coils into oblivion--as anticipated.
Guess what: Those little 30 year old polycell infi tweeters are still working just fine. The woofers took the brunt of the power-zero tweeter damage. eek.gif
Got an explanation for that?

So, allow me now to take off the audio hat and put on my consumer hat.
You pay a grand for a pair of speakers that are highly touted on severeal websites. As a consumer, I would expect that they play loud, and sound great, right? And keep on ticking ??
Or, are these some delicate, over-sensitive thing. Like one of those breeds of dogs, that always gets sick---or, like a 1960's Frerrari----nice, but don't go more than 10 miles out of town?
I did own a 1956 Austin Healey, with Lucas ignition (Prince of Darkness). Kind of remids me of the Lore problem. Finally converted it to a 283 Chevy--no more problems...

I just took delivery of a pair of Definive Techology Mythos STS.

Lores are going on Ebay soon.

Lore experience for me, after blowing tweets : Like a lover that you caught cheating on you--still nice--but never the same...

DefTech Mythos STS: The perfect lover. Play loud. No problem with my (ill-accused amps). Bass down to the bottom of the planet.
I will get rid of my subs. There is no sub I could afford that could match or improve on the palpable bass the STS's can put out. It is prolific, at times, more a feeling at the seat of your pants, rather than a sound. Have not heard anything near to this since I sold my VMPS Supertowers back in 1996.

Again, thanks for your post--hope to get a reply

hidesertrat
post #829 of 1860 Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM

Liked: 35
Hidestrat, First, thanks for the thumbs up....but I have to admit that I don't know what one is...how to give it and what to do with it; so, hopefully you will explain. As for your follow up discussion and analysis regarding the blown tweeters; all I can really say is that your facts are undeniable and your frustration understandable (whether you spend $1k or $5k on equipment you expect it to work every time you flip the switch). Although you didn't say it, I'm assuming that you have lost confidence in the Lores and therefore its time to move on.

One of the great things about this hobby is that there are so many great choices....so, I'm curious, why the Mythos and not Goldenear or Ascend or Martin Logan Motion or Gallo? And, why ebay and not Audigon or Craig's List. Why do I ask??? Because another thing about this hobby is the continuous search for the holy grail....the knowing that from the minute you place the order, the clock is ticking on when you/me/all of us will find something better and start the process again.
post #830 of 1860 Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2013 View Post

Hidestrat, First, thanks for the thumbs up....but I have to admit that I don't know what one is...how to give it and what to do with it; so, hopefully you will explain. As for your follow up discussion and analysis regarding the blown tweeters; all I can really say is that your facts are undeniable and your frustration understandable (whether you spend $1k or $5k on equipment you expect it to work every time you flip the switch). Although you didn't say it, I'm assuming that you have lost confidence in the Lores and therefore its time to move on.

One of the great things about this hobby is that there are so many great choices....so, I'm curious, why the Mythos and not Goldenear or Ascend or Martin Logan Motion or Gallo? And, why ebay and not Audigon or Craig's List. Why do I ask??? Because another thing about this hobby is the continuous search for the holy grail....the knowing that from the minute you place the order, the clock is ticking on when you/me/all of us will find something better and start the process again.

I live in the middle of nowhere. Half-way between LA and Vegas. Nothing but lizards here, in the high desert. I do not have the option of auditioning hi-fallutin' brands, or any other choices, for that matter. There are no stores here--of any kind--everything has closed down--but we still got a small Walmart--and a small 99 Cents Only. Retired--low fixed income. Back in the day, in LA, making the big bucks at a major bank, it was diiferent. No more of that.

I take what I can review, read about, and get delivered to me. I did consider a pair of ML Purities that I could have driven to in 4 hours that were on Craigslist. Decided against those. Another problem with statics, that probably blow out when you look at them cross--eyed. Not for me. If the Mythos blow out, I am getting the dual 15 inch C.Vegas--dorm-room style. At my age, I just want to have fun, listening to some of my 30 year old Andreas Wollenweider CD's. Love that harp--and--back then--there was no LF limiting on those CD's.

Speaking of the Mythos--This is the speaker I wished for, for the past 50 years. Well, you can spend a lot of money to get better, I'm sure. But if you are a poor man, as I, and if you can pick a pair up on ebay for under $1,500---you can then laugh at all of the overpriced stuff out there that does not have bass extension of even half of these, does not image nearly image as well, is not half as dynamic, does not have a sense of air in the highs----and so on. Rinse and repeat. If you are rich, get a pair, anyway--they will blow you away--as they did me.

Neither of these two can float a center image, as can my Fired Q-5's. Just ain't happening. Still, the Mythos are 3 times as dynamic, play louder, have 300% better bass extension as the Lores.
Is this a fair comparison, given the Mythos cost 3 times as much? Perhaps not. But, you can get a pair of Mythos on ebay for under $1,500.00.
post #831 of 1860 Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Wow, I think that's great that you were able to get your speakers within the quoted time frame. That's great to hear, but I wouldn't hold your breath on the grills. There's at least one forum member here who paid for grills over 11 months ago and still hasn't received grills.
And to that, there's another thread in this section where a guy finally threw in the towel after waiting for 3 months with a litany of excuses. Kind of makes me wonder if the reason this guy got his speakers in the promised timeframe was because an older customer walked away.

post #832 of 1860 Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

And to that, there's another thread in this section where a guy finally threw in the towel after waiting for 3 months with a litany of excuses. Kind of makes me wonder if the reason this guy got his speakers in the promised timeframe was because an older customer walked away.

Yeah that could be a very possible reason.
post #833 of 1860 Old 07-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Have had my Pendragons for a week now and just wanted to give a little feedback on my purchase. I have played about twenty hours of different types of music and watched 4 movies. In all instances but one the speakers sounded excellent. Much more dynamic with a huge sound stage. One of the biggest things that impressed me was how good they sounded at medium to low volume. Very detailed and dialog was excellent. The one area that changed for the worse was what the speakers reveled on a poor recording.Played a rather poorly recorded Steve Ray DVD and the bad recording really showed its face, so much so I would not ever want to watch it again it sounded so bad. I feel as though if Eric can keep making deadlines and gets the grills sent out by using the new vendor to make them he should be able to keep orders flying in. I'll report back on if I receive the grills that are to be shipped out in the next three weeks.
post #834 of 1860 Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebean View Post

Have had my Pendragons for a week now and just wanted to give a little feedback on my purchase. I have played about twenty hours of different types of music and watched 4 movies. In all instances but one the speakers sounded excellent. Much more dynamic with a huge sound stage. One of the biggest things that impressed me was how good they sounded at medium to low volume. Very detailed and dialog was excellent. The one area that changed for the worse was what the speakers reveled on a poor recording.Played a rather poorly recorded Steve Ray DVD and the bad recording really showed its face, so much so I would not ever want to watch it again it sounded so bad. I feel as though if Eric can keep making deadlines and gets the grills sent out by using the new vendor to make them he should be able to keep orders flying in. I'll report back on if I receive the grills that are to be shipped out in the next three weeks.

Very good, how long was the wait time from ordering to delivery?
post #835 of 1860 Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 AM

6 weeks
post #836 of 1860 Old 07-16-2013, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I want a pair of Tektons so bad...

Via the 4th Galaxy of Samsung.
post #837 of 1860 Old 07-17-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FliGuyRyan View Post

I want a pair of Tektons so bad...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR9.TRC1.A0.Xtekton+lore.TRS0&_nkw=tekton+lore&_sacat=0&_from=R40
post #838 of 1860 Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 PM

Didn't you have major problems with your Lores?

I was aiming more towards the Pendragons, but I want to hear them and the Zu Omen Def before I plop down that $$$.

Are there any really good comparisons (apart from what's on this thread) between the Pendragons and Omen Defs?

I have to be honest, I have spend the past three days reading this entire thread. I wasn't worried, until I heard about how Eric handled the warranty issue. That makes me nervous. And then hearing him talk to the one member on the phone is a little disheartning.

I know Zu is solid. But, is the Pendragon THAT much better? I really want to make an informed purchase, but no hearing them is hard.

Any thoughts? Reviews?

post #839 of 1860 Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 PM

Liked: 10
Why don't you call Eric and Zu (Sean if he is available) and talk to them directly. That will give you a better feel for their speakers. Zu offers a generous 60 day trial period.
post #840 of 1860 Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FliGuyRyan View Post

Didn't you have major problems with your Lores?

I was aiming more towards the Pendragons, but I want to hear them and the Zu Omen Def before I plop down that $$$.

Are there any really good comparisons (apart from what's on this thread) between the Pendragons and Omen Defs?

I have to be honest, I have spend the past three days reading this entire thread. I wasn't worried, until I heard about how Eric handled the warranty issue. That makes me nervous. And then hearing him talk to the one member on the phone is a little disheartning.

I know Zu is solid. But, is the Pendragon THAT much better? I really want to make an informed purchase, but no hearing them is hard.

Any thoughts? Reviews?

There's a guy on audiogon forum that had both the Def's and the pens, he sold the pens after comparison. Then he bought another pair of Def's for another room.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb