15Likes

post #901 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosavant View Post

Well, my Pendragons have a little over 200 hours on them and they are sounding phenomenal. Even new they sounded great, but I definitely hear improvement. The bass is tighter and more prodigious, the mids have filled in completely. The only weird stufff I ever heard from them involved some upper mid resonance "honk" here and there that has completely disappeared. One of the best features of the Pens (besides an astounding soundstage, muscular slam/punch and eerie 3D layering) is the oh-so-sweet treble. It has such refinement and detail. These speakers are definitely for those of us who can't stand bright and harsh. They are powerful monsters but they sound very sophisticated and airy. Dynamics are so breathtaking that you end up grinning like an idiot while listening to music.

One of the best features is their ability to play all types of recordings with fullness, fidelity and style. They are pretty forgiving for such a detailed, true audiophile speakers. They really are as great as Andrew Robinson claimed. I really need to write him a thank you note... smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

Agreed to a point but I think if he was a plant, he would not have mentioned cables. That's practically an invitation for ridicule and it doesn't make sense that a shill would do that.
Just my .02.

Well, I just ordered $500 dollars of Morrow speaker cable (SP3 Reference) specifically for my Pendragons, does that open me up for ridicule? Should I just use lamp cord to make the skeptical naysayers happy? Hell-to-the-NO! I definitely think that all cable is not equal. Doesn't mean I have to have some excessively priced esoteric cable either, but quality stuff does matter if you have a revealing system.

I think most of the anti-audiophile dogma that is spewed is pretty hilarious. One thing I've noticed about the DBT, "all digital is perfect", "cables don't matter" crowd is that they usually listen to music sitting at a computer, live in shabby, depressing apartments (if not with mommy) and have never heard or owned any really decent gear, but they love to tell people how to spend their money.

Audiosavant,
I welcome your opinion about your new $500 Marrow Speaker cables and how they are working with your Tektons after some burn-in.

I see someone suggest that your cables may sound the same as a good quality 12 awg stranded cable.

I do feel that someone is not required to spend big $ on cables but to make a blanket statement alluding that all cables are created equal; I just do not agree based on my 30 years as an audio professional.

Your Marrow cables are out of my price range at the moment but I welcome your opinion and wish to know more.

I see based on an older post that you are an audio professional. I bet you have a professional ear and use higher end gear with your Pendragons and cables would make a big difference to you.

FYI, at the moment my budget cable of choice is the Mapleshade clearview solid conductor at $120 a pair. They are very stiff and hard to deal with but they sound very nice with my Pendragons in my main system (after some break-in) Yes, break-in…burn-in...
FYI, I use both analog and digital as a source via 2 ch tube gear and the sound is smooth and the imaging is just crazy good.

Also, on a very tight budget based on trial and error I use the Belden 5000 series cable for most of my pro audio installs (live music venue stuff). I find the Belden not bad at all in a pinch with home AV and is almost free if purchased in bulk but IMO the Pendragons deserve better. I do use the Belden 18 awg on my near field computer rig and I am impressed when used with my budget speakers.

Please let me know how you higher $ Marrow cables work with your Pendragons as I have never had the pleasure of auditioning that brand. I would like to know your thoughts as I see no discussion on what is working well with the Pendragons and what is not.
audiosavant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Quote:
Well, I just ordered $500 dollars of Morrow speaker cable (SP3 Reference) specifically for my Pendragons, does that open me up for ridicule?
Ridicule, no, but it certainly disqualifies you as having any level of technical expertise when you're so easy fooled by the nonsense spouted by the cable nuts. That said, if you've convinced yourself that you can hear the difference between a reasonably priced cable and an absurdly priced cable then one can hardly give any credence to your review of the speakers either. You'd have been better off leaving that bit out information out.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #903 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Ridicule, no, but it certainly disqualifies you as having any level of technical expertise when you're so easy fooled by the nonsense spouted by the cable nuts. That said, if you've convinced yourself that you can hear the difference between a reasonably priced cable and an absurdly priced cable then one can hardly give any credence to your review of the speakers either. You'd have been better off leaving that bit out information out.

He might actually hear a difference even if there is no actual scientific difference in the sound quality of the cables. Can't the mind tell you something sounds different even if there is no real difference in the output? I mean, it doesn't matter whether the cables he received were actually different than the ones he had only that he thought they were different. I'm thinking it might be similar to the McGurk Effect.

XStanleyX likes this.
post #904 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1 View Post

Can't the mind tell you something sounds different even if there is no real difference in the output?
Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

post #905 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1 View Post

He might actually hear a difference even if there is no actual scientific difference in the sound quality of the cables. Can't the mind tell you something sounds different even if there is no real difference in the output? I mean, it doesn't matter whether the cables he received were actually different than the ones he had only that he thought they were different. I'm thinking it might be similar to the McGurk Effect.

Okay, so does that mean if after he installed his $500 speaker cables and in his mind made his speakers sound better and then the speaker fairy can back late at night and switch back to his original cables do you think he'd notice the difference or just keep on believing his speakers sounded better rolleyes.gif

I was hoping Bill would chime in on this topic and he did, I'll take his professional opinion on this matter then the guy trying to tell me it makes a huge difference and now his speakers sound SO much better. And for the record I do have some fairly high end audio gear.

I was also referring to audiosavant in my post not you VicTorious.
post #906 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Watch this:

I've already sat through all 58 mins of that video. I think you linked it in another thread. Psychoaccoustics is definitely an interesting topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Okay, so does that mean if after he installed his $500 speaker cables and in his mind made his speakers sound better and then the speaker fairy can back late at night and switch back to his original cables do you think he'd notice the difference or just keep on believing his speakers sounded better rolleyes.gif

I was hoping Bill would chime in on this topic and he did, I'll take his professional opinion on this matter then the guy trying to tell me it makes a huge difference and now his speakers sound SO much better. And for the record I do have some fairly high end audio gear.

I was also referring to audiosavant in my post not you VicTorious.
Quote:

Watch this:

I'd think your mind would still perceive the cables to sound the same if it was not aware of the switch. I also agree with you, I'd prefer to have a discussion based in science, but also am aware that our minds can play crazy tricks on us.
post #907 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Liked: 35
As we have all read, most of the double blind tests suggest that there is a remote possibility that when a loudspeaker that presents a very difficult load is connected to an amplifier that may have borderline capability to drive that loudspeaker, certain cables may add or subtract to the sound. But as we all know, the Pendragons are a very easy load....so, it is suspect that any cables, unless they are really of exceedingly poor quality, will matter.

In my case, driving a pair of Lores with a Crown Drivecore...I tried a number cables, could hear no difference and ended up with Blue Jeans throughout my system....and happy to have saved a bunch of money which allowed me to replace an old sony with an oppo.....you know, garbage in, garbage out.

Every now and then, when I read about a great cable, especially a great budget cable, I just refer to the famous coat hanger article... http://consumerist.com/2008/03/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables/

and the embedded link.. http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/2512-speakers%3B-when-good-enough-enough-3.html#post15412
post #908 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:

Quote:
Well, I just ordered $500 dollars of Morrow speaker cable (SP3 Reference) specifically for my Pendragons, does that open me up for ridicule?

The Morrow story is here:

http://www.morrowaudio.com/theorydesign.htm

Pretty easy to debunk. They have cables running up to $1499.
post #909 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The Morrow story is here:
http://www.morrowaudio.com/theorydesign.htm
Pretty easy to debunk.
As is usually the case with myth there's some truth in there, with regards to radio frequency transmission. None of it applies to audio frequencies.

post #910 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
One thing I've noticed about the DBT, "all digital is perfect", "cables don't matter" crowd is that they usually listen to music sitting at a computer, live in shabby, depressing apartments (if not with mommy) and have never heard or owned any really decent gear, but they love to tell people how to spend their money.

audiosavant,

If you read my post you'd understand that I was actually defending the OP. I've never ridiculed anyone on this or any other forum, however you managed to insult everyone who disagrees with you and poor people in one sentence......That's a hell of way to introduce yourself to the forum. If I can find the ignore button you'll be first on the list. smile.gif

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

post #911 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have made my own cables just using 12 gauge wire from mono price, some cable pants and cable flex cover (just to make it look nice) and some banana connectors. They sounded fine, although I did detect a very slight hum when I put my ear right next to the speaker.
So I tried these cables. http://signalcable.com/speaker_cables.html They are cheap and very well made. I think I paid $80 for the pair. Reason I tried them is because of the twisted pair construction. Cable I was using was just 2 pair, 12 gauge. Sure enough it took away the slight hum but I can’t say there was a night and day difference in the sound, at best a very subtle change. Both cables were laid exactly the same way.

post #912 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
I bought a used zu audio rca cable for 25$. No difference but they look nice. That's the most I would spend. My grandma used to work in a canning plant. They would have a run of green giant cans , keep the same product and then can a no name brand . People said their was a difference ... she would smile.
post #913 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 02:11 PM

Liked: 35
Another point I would make is that I'm pretty sure that Tekton, Zu, Ascend and most of the other well respected loudspeaker guys are pretty particular about their sound...and since most loudspeakers contain 3-10 feet of wire, no doubt that wire was listened to and carefully chosen by those manufacturers. And yet when you come across postings of people that have pulled their woofers and looked inside, these speakers never contain hyper expensive exotic wiring.

So, if a basic 14 gauge, stranded or solid, low oxygen copper wire is good enough for the guy building the speaker...does it really make any sense for me to spend $xxxxx to connect to his $10 worth of wire inside the speaker? I think there is a LOT more sound improvement for the buck than you can get with expensive wires.

I guess its like a guy that buys a corvette and feels that he drives better because of the expensive leather racing gloves....if it completes the package and makes him happy....then so be it!
post #914 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2013 View Post

Another point I would make is that I'm pretty sure that Tekton, Zu, Ascend and most of the other well respected loudspeaker guys are pretty particular about their sound...and since most loudspeakers contain 3-10 feet of wire, no doubt that wire was listened to and carefully chosen by those manufacturers. And yet when you come across postings of people that have pulled their woofers and looked inside, these speakers never contain hyper expensive exotic wiring.

So, if a basic 14 gauge, stranded or solid, low oxygen copper wire is good enough for the guy building the speaker...does it really make any sense for me to spend $xxxxx to connect to his $10 worth of wire inside the speaker? I think there is a LOT more sound improvement for the buck than you can get with expensive wires.

I guess its like a guy that buys a corvette and feels that he drives better because of the expensive leather racing gloves....if it completes the package and makes him happy....then so be it!

Good point RN2013. Sometime ago I pulled my driver out of the pendragon to take a closer look at the cross-over and if memory serves correctly the cable used inside was nothing special. I'll pull it out again and have a closer look. Maybe take a few pics of the cross over as well and post them.

post #915 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67 View Post

Good point RN2013. Sometime ago I pulled my driver out of the pendragon to take a closer look at the cross-over and if memory serves correctly the cable used inside was nothing special. I'll pull it out again and have a closer look. Maybe take a few pics of the cross over as well and post them.

That's what I don't get. I've looked inside several of my "high-end" speakers and they invariably use generic speaker wire to connect the binding posts to the speakers. If that's the case, then what's the point of using "high-end" speaker wire from the amp/receiver to the binding posts?
post #916 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 04:29 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I noticed people talking about Tekton shipping delays/update here. I ordered some Oriel 10s back in February and still don't have them. I've read that Eric seems to be getting caught up, but also wondering if anyone else has had this long of a delay for their speakers.

Thanks!
post #917 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Did you place a deposit?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #918 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

When Did you last email / call ? I ordered oriels in late Jan and received them in just over a month . After two months if I didn't have them I would.have cancelled the order.
post #919 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I purchased a $39 RCA cable NXG brand; I needed a cheep cable for an FM tuner. Was almost as if I unplugged a tweeter or something. Was it a defective cable? Who knows but went back to my Audioquest and the highs returned. This cable definitely attenuated the high frequency content. I plugged and unplugged it many a time and used it on a few systems just to make sure and it simply killed the high end and "air" and was unusable so it went in the trash. For the record I have never had any cable but the NXG effect the sound to this extent so it may have been a bad cable but if so, it was bad from the factory.

Was using my cheep China Maverick DAC01 on a 2nd system, (fyi, nice budget tube DAC for the money IMO)... I got the power cord mixed up with one from my computer or tv or something. Lost the magic in the sound. Took me some time to figure out what was wrong and that I had switched power cables. I thought I had a tube go bad or something. Switched back to the original power cable and the imaging and air returned to the music. Were these special cable? No, just stock but the one that shipped with the unit sounded better than others I tried. I have no idea why but the power cable made as much difference as if I had a bad tube. I have seen some people also think the brand of tubes all sound the same as with cable and that some cheep China new production tubes sounds the same as a 1950s USA old stock tube. If someone feels that way to each his own but I for one on my 2 ch Pendragon system enjoy tube rolling and what a good cable can do. I also like a fine wine as well but to some Mad dog 20/20 will do that same thing after all it is all just wine.

I purchased a Audioquest NRG-2 solid conductor power cable. I wanted to like this cable but made everything I used it on sound sterile. I wanted to like this cable as it was better than stock right as I paid good money for it but made my amps sound horrible. A power cable can not change the sound right? Thats what I thought at first.

My Mapleshade solid thin speaker cable do sound better in my system than my huge thick classic Van Den Hul cable from the 90's. Solid vs stranded? Copper vs silver plated copper? Who knows why but sounds better.

No placebo effect or what ever you call it or my mind playing tricks on me; Cables can sound different. My ears do not lie.

My point is I don't spend huge money on cables. I know that some manufactures must just wrap wires in techflex and put some fancy heat shrink and mark them up a billion percent so I do not buy into all the hype but all cables can change the sound of a system.

I think someone can find a good inexpensive cable that sound great but I have used inexpensive and expensive cables that don't do the job.

For the record I have spent years working in high end shops and on many a slow Saturday I would do those blind listening test with mega money cables just to pass the time.
I have also installed enough cable to I bet stretch around the world over the last 30 years. Based on my experience I will say money does not necessarily buy a good cable but cables do sound different and who is to say that expensive Audiosavants $500 Marrow cables are not one of the great ones?

I have also found the better system and room the more difference a good cable makes. I question and would like to know the exact components used and room treatments / dimensions or better yet a photo of the system and exactly how many different cables someone had actually tried before forming an opinion that cables sound the same.

If you guys want to eat me alive for my views have at it but will take more than a video to change my mind about cables as I have formed my opinion over 30 years of actually listening to many cables on a daily basis.

If you guys don't want Audiosavants opinion on his $500 cables I ask if he would PM me and let me know how he likes his cables as I for one would like to know about his cables and I do give credence to his professional opinion.
post #920 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman5000 View Post

No placebo effect or what ever you call it or my mind playing tricks on me; Cables can sound different. My ears do not lie.

You're definitely not lying when you say you perceive a difference. However, you are unique amongst basically every other human being when you claim that you're immune to placebo or bias ("mind tricks"). You would be an interesting study for those educated in human behavior and human perception.

I'm willing to bet any sum of money you want to name that you'd never be able to tell the difference in a real DBT.

In every case, the perceived differences that people (usually) claim are obvious aren't so obvious.
post #921 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 11:10 PM

Liked: 10
I've emailed and called several times, latest email was last Monday and Eric has been nice but then nothing happens. I haven't been in a hurry, but now it's gotten absurd. And yes, I paid in full. Seems like I've been way too patient (an maybe a bit of a sucker); now that I know he's taking advantage I'm going to cancel my order and ask for a refund if they don't ship this week. Thanks for the info!
post #922 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masokotenga View Post

I've emailed and called several times, latest email was last Monday and Eric has been nice but then nothing happens. I haven't been in a hurry, but now it's gotten absurd. And yes, I paid in full. Seems like I've been way too patient (an maybe a bit of a sucker); now that I know he's taking advantage I'm going to cancel my order and ask for a refund if they don't ship this week. Thanks for the info!

When and what did you order from Tekton?

If you paid in full you may just want to put your credit card company on notice now as they have a time limit that they will help you. My Visa limit was 3 months. I did not realize that I had a real problem until after the 3 months deadline. I did not have these post at that time informing me of shipping / delivery issues and I was being given some real good promises and excuses last year when it all started with me.

Horrible feeling is it not when you feel taken advantage of...

Kinda takes the fun out of buying a new set of speakers does it not?

Hope we all get what we paid for at some point and then possibly this form can turn to a more positive one. It is all up to the man himself.
post #923 of 1860 Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I will only use PayPal for all online purchases. Have made over 500 buys . Three times I had to file a dispute when I.didn't get a product. All three times I got.my.money back.
post #924 of 1860 Old 07-30-2013, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by masokotenga View Post

Sadly, you'll cancel your order and then they'll be ready to ship from Eric two weeks after. Someone will come along and be looking to buy those exact speakers, give Eric a call and Eric will be like "yeah I have some it stock ready to ship out now". Then this new customer will come on this forum and go, "I don't know what everyone is talking about, I got my brand new Tekton speakers in less then 3 weeks".

I have no doubt that Eric's speakers sound awesome, I just wish he didn't run his company so poorly. I would really still like to hear some of his speakers, but sadly the ship has sailed for me on getting anything from him. I went a different route and have been extremely happy that I did.
post #925 of 1860 Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Consider filing a complaint with Utah's Consumer Complaint Division. This page should provide sufficient sufficient information to direct you: http://consumerprotection.utah.gov/complaints/

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #926 of 1860 Old 07-30-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:

I feel the same way and I get paid for my "ears"!

If I have any "expectation bias", it's the bias of thinking an upgrade/change will suck or not have any noticeable improvement at all or that I've wasted my money. If it would sound worse than cheaper, generic cables, I would return them.

I will definitely report back my impressions on the Morrow cables (speaker cable and IC) that I'm getting. I think their stuff is reasonably priced compared to a lot of other brands. Lifetime guarantee as well, even if you screw them up, they will replace them.

I can hear a distict difference between the optical output and the coaxial output (going into my Schitt Gungir) from the same transport. Science would say that's not possible. The zeros and ones are the same, but there is a noticeable difference that is very obvious. Why is this? I think part of the problem with the measurement crowd is that it's highly probable that esoteric phenomena concerning sound and our perceptions of, are much more complex and nuanced than what the measuring instruments(using today's technology) can measure. It's the same with biology, you can map out and explain many functions of the brain, but there is still a lot that is not known. Auditory perception and the resulting effect of audio gear on it has many variables.

Measurements only tell part of the story, it's very myopic and dogamatic black and white thinking to assume that everything that is currently known about audio is all there is to know.
post #927 of 1860 Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:

audiosavant, If you read my post you'd understand that I was actually defending the OP.

I knew that you were defending him. I was just wondering if I would be "ridiculed" by the naysayers, not you.

quote name="DougReim" url="/t/1446325/tekton-pendragon/900#post_23574944"]I've never ridiculed anyone on this or any other forum, however you managed to insult everyone who disagrees with you and poor people in one sentence......[/quote]

I wasn't trying to insult "poor people", just cheap, stubborn people. You can be pretty poor and still have great sound. I'm firmly in the bang-for-buck camp myself. I love good, cheap gear. This is not class war, when one actually breaks out, I'll be on the side of the workers! smile.gif

quote name="DougReim" url="/t/1446325/tekton-pendragon/900#post_23574944"]That's a hell of way to introduce yourself to the forum. If I can find the ignore button you'll be first on the list. smile.gif[/quote]

Well, if you ignore me you won't be able to bask in my overwhelming wit and wisdom! Seriously though. are you that sensitive? If so, perhaps we need a pearl clutching button so you don't get your fee fees hurt when your delicate sensibilities are ruffled.

Sorry if I offended you, it was not my intent....
post #928 of 1860 Old 07-30-2013, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
No offense was taken but the last thing I want is you rufflng my delicates
audiosavant likes this.

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

post #929 of 1860 Old 07-30-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosavant View Post

Quote:

I feel the same way and I get paid for my "ears"!

If I have any "expectation bias", it's the bias of thinking an upgrade/change will suck or not have any noticeable improvement at all or that I've wasted my money. If it would sound worse than cheaper, generic cables, I would return them.

I will definitely report back my impressions on the Morrow cables (speaker cable and IC) that I'm getting. I think their stuff is reasonably priced compared to a lot of other brands. Lifetime guarantee as well, even if you screw them up, they will replace them.

I can hear a distict difference between the optical output and the coaxial output (going into my Schitt Gungir) from the same transport. Science would say that's not possible. The zeros and ones are the same, but there is a noticeable difference that is very obvious. Why is this? I think part of the problem with the measurement crowd is that it's highly probable that esoteric phenomena concerning sound and our perceptions of, are much more complex and nuanced than what the measuring instruments(using today's technology) can measure. It's the same with biology, you can map out and explain many functions of the brain, but there is still a lot that is not known. Auditory perception and the resulting effect of audio gear on it has many variables.

Measurements only tell part of the story, it's very myopic and dogamatic black and white thinking to assume that everything that is currently known about audio is all there is to know.

What sounds better? The USB or the Toslink on your DAC?

I am using a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 as my main DAC. I find it interesting using my iMac as a source the Toslink sounds much better. This should not be as you get more digital jitter with fiber right? My Mac only supports up to 24/96 on the toslink but will do 24/192 via USB. Wonder why the lower sampling rate via fiber sound better via Toslink even while using HD tracks hi res files?

Could it be my cheep usb cable ???? It is one I just grabbed off my printer... Ha, Ha, lets get this cable thing started again LOL.

Who knows but on paper the USB should sound better on my rig but it does not. The Toslink sound more warm... analogish best I can describe it.

I agree with you that it is not all in the specs or measurements; If so we would not be using tube amps would we?

Enjoy your Pendragons and keep me posted...
post #930 of 1860 Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

No offense was taken but the last thing I want is you rufflng my delicates

My wife does this to me every weekend. smile.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page