Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1441 of 1813 Old 11-04-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I must have po'd Eric pretty bad with our last conservation. I asked for a refund, but never expected to receive one. Well I got A CHECK IN THE MAIL TODAY FOR THE FULL REFUND. I just hope it doesn't bounce.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1813 Old 11-04-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post

I just hope it doesn't bounce.
Why would it? He's got all that money that people paid for grilles that they never got. rolleyes.gif
audiosavant likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #1443 of 1813 Old 11-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I must have po'd Eric pretty bad with our last conservation. I asked for a refund, but never expected to receive one. Well I got A CHECK IN THE MAIL TODAY FOR THE FULL REFUND. I just hope it doesn't bounce.

Ken

Ken, the refund was for the grills?

post #1444 of 1813 Old 11-05-2013, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea, the refund was for the grills only. I told him I couldn't put those sub-par grills on such great speakers.

Ken
audiosavant likes this.
post #1445 of 1813 Old 11-06-2013, 05:10 PM

Liked: 20
I wonder if they make black pantyhose large enough to pull over my PENS ?
That would be kinda cool. The fish net type would be even better. Any thoughts?
post #1446 of 1813 Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspectr View Post

I wonder if they make black pantyhose large enough to pull over my PENS ?
That would be kinda cool. The fish net type would be even better. Any thoughts?

Here you go ...
Soundman5000 likes this.
post #1447 of 1813 Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosavant View Post

It figures that I would post something too soon before doing the proper research! I thought they were in the $1200.00 range. When I used the "Google Machine" to check out the Noesis, this thread came up: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458711/jtr-noesis-228ht-the-best-speaker-you-never-heard-of-for-1200-pricepoint

I thought Tekton was somewhat obscure... the internet has very little information on these Noesis speakers. Their website is pretty vague and lacking too. They seem more like a pro audio install service or something. Like a poor man's Meyer Sound. I got interested because of the Pendragon comparison. When I read the post on here about them, I thought they were $1200 for a pair of them! Oh wells...tongue.gif
They are so frickin' horrible (and I'm apparently the biggest "fanboy" of the Pens on here)!!! I would rather just throw a sheet over them than ever use those grills.

You know, in the professional recording world, we never have grills on our speakers anyway... smile.gif

I can understand the concerns people have about protecting their gear, but "kids and pets"? I'd rather have cool stuff than those miserable creatures! biggrin.gif

Seriously though, as much as I do love cats and dogs, I'm done with that much responsibility for a while. Stinky, messy, needy (am I talking about kids or pets? I dunno!!!)... I'd rather have a nice house with nice things and... freedom!. If and when we do decide to have kids, they will adapt to our lifestyle, not us to theirs[/I]. Sorry. When I was kid I lived in a house with many nice "things" but was disciplined enough to not mess them up. There used to be consequences for a child's "bad behavior" beyond just time-out followed by a Pixar dvd "babysitter". I was taught to respect my and other people's property. If they are that young that they might mess up something, then they need to be isolated from those spaces (much like a dangerous virus) until they can learn some self control.

One thing I've noticed: Out of all my friends who have kids, the ones who raise them in the more traditionally "modern" way (change their lifestyles, let the house get destroyed, can't play music 'cause little Timmy's gotta sleep, let them be influenced by other idiot's stupid children, etc., etc...) turn out the worst little humans, but the ones who have a more... uh... artsy, non-traditional, "rock and roll" lifestyle where the child is not exposed to crappy corporate mainstream kid culture but are instead raised with good music, movies, books and are expected to actually do something impressive to earn that precious "self-esteem", tend to be the highest achievers academically and most interesting socially. They are also less prone to teen peer pressure when they become teens because they are already sophisticated enough to suss out how lame most mainstream stuff is.

"I wanna tell you, your kids? They are not special! Oh... I know you think they are!" -- Bill Hicks

Don't even get me started on the dreaded WAF... those poor saps that have to deal with that kind of abuse should just hand in their testicles and be done with it. I found it's better to find someone who actually shares your interests and lifestyle than to try to adapt to someone who can't stand your "hobbies" and uh... eccentricities...

Life's too short.

rant/off

Famous last words. When/if you have kids, I bet you change your attitude. smile.gif Now as far as having nice things, I told my 6 year old (at the time) not to touch the projector screen. He never did. He is 13 now.

Our kids were raised traditionally. They did get spanked when little, but we did/do things for our kids. Things like wife quit her job (teacher) to be a stay at home mother. I have no complaints on how they have turned out.
Archaea and audiosavant like this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1448 of 1813 Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds like the Definitive Technology socks that go over their speakers. A top cap is needed though to conceal the ties on top.
post #1449 of 1813 Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since I received a refund for the grills I thought I'd make my own.

Turns out Eric isn't the master carpenter he thinks he is. He should have made the cabinet wider to accommodate the grilles. Most trim for the frame is 1 thickness x 2 width which is actually 3/4"x1-1/2" . The 10" driver is 3/4" from the edge of the cabinet. Since the frame is twice the width available it makes it hard to come up with something. I guess that's why he went with the foam? The width could be cut down but then it's hard to put the pegs at the corners. Anyone have any solutions other then the grills protruding 3/4" from the sides and top?

EDIT: I suppose I'll have to find some 1x1 stock-not easy to locate. I also found a different type of peg to use: Platte River 936967 at Amazon.
post #1450 of 1813 Old 11-07-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Turns out Eric isn't the master carpenter he thinks he is. He should have made the cabinet wider to accommodate the grilles. Most trim for the frame is 1 thickness x 2 width which is actually 3/4"x1-1/2" . The 10" driver is 3/4" from the edge of the cabinet. Since the frame is twice the width available it makes it hard to come up with something. I guess that's why he went with the foam? The width could be cut down but then it's hard to put the pegs at the corners. Anyone have any solutions other then the grills protruding 3/4" from the sides and top?

EDIT: I suppose I'll have to find some 1x1 stock-not easy to locate. I also found a different type of peg to use: Platte River 936967 at Amazon.

Use a piece of 1/2" MDF and cut it out from one piece with one cross brace. Sand or bevel the edges and cover with grill cloth. The width of the frame at the edges does not need to be more than 3/4" wide. If you are going to bevel the edges with a router, do so before cutting out interior area. A CNC machine cuts these out in seconds, so if you have the right tools, grills are real easy to make.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1451 of 1813 Old 11-07-2013, 02:49 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Use a piece of 1/2" MDF and cut it out from one piece with one cross brace. Sand or bevel the edges and cover with grill cloth. The width of the frame at the edges does not need to be more than 3/4" wide. If you are going to bevel the edges with a router, do so before cutting out interior area. A CNC machine cuts these out in seconds, so if you have the right tools, grills are real easy to make.

Cross brace will be difficult for line array of tweeters
post #1452 of 1813 Old 11-07-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymachyne View Post

If I were gonna do it... and if there's no gap between the woofers and tweeter array, I'd run the supports across the woofers.

Obstructions less than 1/4 wavelength should have no effect on sound.
post #1453 of 1813 Old 11-07-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went to Lowe's & Home Depot and couldn't find the right size to make the frame. I decided to go to Menard's and they had 11"/16"x 11"/16" pine. This should be a good fit as long as the speaker cloth isn't too thick. If it is I'll use a plane and narrow the wood a little more. The 11/16 size should hold the cloth high enough to go over the driver also. I purchased the grill fasteners (pegs) from Madisound. These look similar to what Tekton uses. They could be the same. The measurements should be close if not right on. I only have a power miter saw and a pneumatic staple gun so the other ideas won't fly. The size will be 31.5" x 12" O.D. so I don't think I'll need any bracing. Once I receive the stuff I ordered and assemble them I'll post pics.

Ken
post #1454 of 1813 Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:

I went to Lowe's & Home Depot and couldn't find the right size to make the frame. I decided to go to Menard's and they had 11"/16"x 11"/16" pine. This should be a good fit as long as the speaker cloth isn't too thick. If it is I'll use a plane and narrow the wood a little more. The 11/16 size should hold the cloth high enough to go over the driver also. I purchased the grill fasteners (pegs) from Madisound. These look similar to what Tekton uses. They could be the same. The measurements should be close if not right on. I only have a power miter saw and a pneumatic staple gun so the other ideas won't fly. The size will be 31.5" x 12" O.D. so I don't think I'll need any bracing. Once I receive the stuff I ordered and assemble them I'll post pics.

Ken

I was going to suggest PM'ing Soundman to ask for the specs on his grills in post 1357 of this thread but it looks like you have a plan already.

post #1455 of 1813 Old 11-08-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I already PM'd him.
Thanks,
Ken
post #1456 of 1813 Old 11-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:

I already PM'd him.
Thanks,
Ken

I'd like to see how your's turn out because I'll be following suite.

post #1457 of 1813 Old 11-08-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymachyne View Post

You can still make it without cross brace, but it would be fragile. You could also make it out of clear stock, using a hardwood, glueing the joints together, but more time consuming. You could use some stock ripped down to 5/8" x 5/8" and attach some triangular braces in the four corners. You would need a table saw or a friend that has a table saw.

post #1458 of 1813 Old 11-08-2013, 11:24 AM

Liked: 25
Kensmith48,
Unless I am dreaming I thought someone posted a few weeks back a pic of an older Pendragon grill. I thought it was on this form but I may be mistaken or it has been removed or may have been some other Tekton as my memory fails. I have searched and I can no longer find it . To try and describe it they had like 1/2 circles cut in the grill frame so the frame would fit around each woofer. Mine do not have this but need it as they don't fit so good. This way you would be able to use thicker wood except where it gets tight around the woofers. I will add that IMO the ones I have do not need a brace as they are sturdy.
If you need any more precise measurements or pics of what I have just let me know and I will send over.
Good luck on you grill build!
Soundman
post #1459 of 1813 Old 11-08-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's on 47 post #1403. I was looking at those but it looked weird having the frame cut out to go around the woofer.

I have the 1st frame glued together and it seems sturdy enough. I think I'll put a staple on the opposite side of the frame to help hold the corners together instead of depending on glue alone. I allowed room around the drivers. Hopefully the speaker cloth won't interfere.
I'll post measurements after I get everything done. I'm still waiting for the cloth and pegs to get here. The cloth is from Ohio and the pegs are from Wisconsin and I'm in Michigan so it shouldn't take long.
post #1460 of 1813 Old 11-08-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It's on 47 post #1403. I was looking at those but it looked weird having the frame cut out to go around the woofer.

I have the 1st frame glued together and it seems sturdy enough. I think I'll put a staple on the opposite side of the frame to help hold the corners together instead of depending on glue alone. I allowed room around the drivers. Hopefully the speaker cloth won't interfere.
I'll post measurements after I get everything done. I'm still waiting for the cloth and pegs to get here. The cloth is from Ohio and the pegs are from Wisconsin and I'm in Michigan so it shouldn't take long.

If you have a good glue joint, then I would not take a chance on messing it up with a staple. I build my speakers and subs, using no fasteners, only glue.

post #1461 of 1813 Old 11-10-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

I'm not sure if these kits from Parts Express have enough depth to clear the surface mounted woofers and their excursion, but there are a few ways you could probably make them thicker or stand off the grills a little more. They also sell the T-joint parts to add bracing. Note the only reason for bracing is to keep the edge of the grill from bowing from the stretched fabric.
Soundman5000 likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #1462 of 1813 Old 11-10-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mark, Thanks for the tip but I've got the frames put together and I don't think they'll need any bracing. I'm using 11"/16" x11"/16" and it seems sturdy enough. The dimensions are approx. 12"x31" . Not really that large to need any bracing. I've seen other pictures on this thread of frames that are bigger with no bracing. The one thing I might have to do though depending on the thickness of the cloth fabric, is I might have to plane the side down a little where the drivers might contact. It's only about a 2" area on each side that might need this.
Since tomorrows a holiday I won't receive the pegs and cloth until Tuesday. You might know I'm a veteran.biggrin.gif
post #1463 of 1813 Old 11-11-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Mark, Thanks for the tip but I've got the frames put together and I don't think they'll need any bracing. I'm using 11"/16" x11"/16" and it seems sturdy enough. The dimensions are approx. 12"x31" . Not really that large to need any bracing. I've seen other pictures on this thread of frames that are bigger with no bracing. The one thing I might have to do though depending on the thickness of the cloth fabric, is I might have to plane the side down a little where the drivers might contact. It's only about a 2" area on each side that might need this.
Since tomorrows a holiday I won't receive the pegs and cloth until Tuesday. You might know I'm a veteran.biggrin.gif

Keep us updated. I'm interested on pics of this as I will need to do the same thing.
post #1464 of 1813 Old 11-11-2013, 01:14 PM

Liked: 10
PENDRAGON's blown tweeter - beware - recurring problem. Anyone experiencing blowing just the middle of the three tweeters on the full size Pendragon's? After blowing the tweeter, talking to Eric and him telling me that I would need to buy a new tweeter and it was not covered under warranty, i replaced the tweeter and it blew again.

Any ideas of how to fix this or has anyone else run into the problem? Power is from an Emotiva XPR-2 so either these speakers can not handle power or something is wired wrong. Eric is not helping. (I also never received from speaker grills smile.gif)
post #1465 of 1813 Old 11-11-2013, 02:43 PM

Has anyone done the math on the Pendragon crossover design? Has anyone reversed engineered and verified the crossover point and slope per octave to see if it is with-in spec as published from the tweet manufacture?
I just wonder if the crossover point is lower that the tweet manufacture recommends.
Also, anyone opened a Pendragon up yet? I need pictures of the inside ( with mounted crossover) if anyone has any.
post #1466 of 1813 Old 11-11-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 373
There were some crossover pics posted including one of an upgraded crossover in one of the Tekton threads. Not sure if it was the Pens.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #1467 of 1813 Old 11-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Liked: 22
That's the second or third post I've seen about Tekton not honoring their warranty. Hard to understand the reasoning for not sending the customer a $50 +/- tweeter, that's a bad business model. I know it's cost him at least one customer and I'd guess there are others.

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

post #1468 of 1813 Old 11-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8POWER View Post

PENDRAGON's blown tweeter - beware - recurring problem. Anyone experiencing blowing just the middle of the three tweeters on the full size Pendragon's? After blowing the tweeter, talking to Eric and him telling me that I would need to buy a new tweeter and it was not covered under warranty, i replaced the tweeter and it blew again.

Any ideas of how to fix this or has anyone else run into the problem? Power is from an Emotiva XPR-2 so either these speakers can not handle power or something is wired wrong. Eric is not helping. (I also never received from speaker grills smile.gif)

That XPR 2 is a load of power. I think it is even beefier than the mfr lists from the reviews. I'm running my pens with my marantz 7007 and they get plenty of juice.

Could it be that the tweeters can't handle the load I'm wondering?
post #1469 of 1813 Old 11-11-2013, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Wow this is unbelieveable man, how the hell can a tweeter not be covered.......after reading through this thread, I can't believe the things i reading and seeing, maybe it's time for tekton to close it's doors man, what's a $30-50 tweeter?
post #1470 of 1813 Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Any ideas of how to fix this or has anyone else run into the problem? Power is from an Emotiva XPR-2 so either these speakers cannot handle power or something is wired wrong. Eric is not helping. (I also never received from speaker grills smile.gif)

Interesting issue...I see the Emotiva amp is rated @ 600w @ 8 ohms and 1,000 @ 4. Thats one big mama of an amp for home use I tell ya. The Pens are rated @ 200w so I can see how Eric may not be willing to honor a warrantee but Im not saying that I agree or I think that is the right thing to do as I am from the school that power does not blow speakers, distortion blows speakers.
If I was Tekton I would simply send some free tweets just for some good old customer service.
I guess Tekton could always put circuit protection inline to protect the tweets at our ears expense like Bose did and some Community pro speakers I had years ago.

Back in the 90's when I sold lots of Bose AM-5's I would get calls from customers wanting to know what the light bulb things were glowing in the port of the Bose sub. I would simply have to say turn the dang thing down till you don't see light coming out of your speakers and you will be OK! Those speakers sounded like crap but I never had a set come back with a blown tweeter!

If tweeters are blowing I would ask at what SPL are the speakers being driven. With a 600w amp and efficient Pendragons driven at a point that would snap a tweeter I think would kill an ear as well... No?

I suggest purchasing a Radio Shack or Parts Express SPL meter and post what your normal db is in the listening room as all speakers have a max SPL they can do and a measurement would help determine if the issue is the speaker design or simply turning it up to loud.

At the same time, I still wonder what crossover point the Tektons are designed around as if something is not right in the design I bet a 600 watt amp will let you know real quick with blown tweets.

A SPL measurement of the listening room I think would tell lots. I could ask how loud do you listen to your rig but crazy loud to one person is normal for someone else. A db measurement would tell just how loud your normal rig is and you could say hey Eric, my speakers are blowing and my normal level is only ? db...Just a thought.

I use 7 tube watts with my Pens so a 600 W amp would run me out of the room I bet.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page