15Likes

post #1771 of 1860 Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman5000 View Post

Looks like Eric is selling his speakers faster than he can make them. Why would he bother posting specs or do anything different to improve sales?confused.gif

Good point. What would make things even better is to try to make every purchase such a great experience that all the customers will be talking to their friends about how great Tekton is. Not just the audio, but the service.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1860 Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamletfg View Post

Quote:

Looks like Eric is selling his speakers faster than he can make them. Why would he bother posting specs or do anything different to improve sales?confused.gif
Good point. What would make things even better is to try to make every purchase such a great experience that all the customers will be talking to their friends about how great Tekton is. Not just the audio, but the service.

I truly hope Tekton can adapt that customer experience " Culture" that is required for a business to make it long term in this economy.
Based on my experience, I will not hold my breath but I have hope as I would prefer my Pendragon resale value to remain high.
post #1773 of 1860 Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:

I truly hope Tekton can adapt that customer experience " Culture" that is required for a business to make it long term in this economy.
Based on my experience, I will not hold my breath but I have hope as I would prefer my Pendragon resale value to remain high.

Completely agree Soundman5000. I am hoping that Eric will take note of the ideas I present in the case. 

post #1774 of 1860 Old 04-29-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am happy about the speakers except that crappy foam grill. Wish Eric could deliver the "real" grill together with the speakers ordered. Foam is a JOKE!
JeffAV likes this.
post #1775 of 1860 Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshane View Post

I am happy about the speakers except that crappy foam grill. Wish Eric could deliver the "real" grill together with the speakers ordered. Foam is a JOKE!

That seems to be a very big complaint here. The little things matter don't they. I will add it to my case. Thanks toshane.

post #1776 of 1860 Old 04-29-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hamlet, have you been asked to be an official mouthpiece for the company?

post #1777 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
If you read the first half of this thread you'll see that it's been mentioned many times that Eric was saying that he hired additional workers or was going to hire additional workers which would cut down on lead-times and that he was hiring someone to build grills. Yet nothing happened and lead-times where not getting any better and no grills were going out to customer who had paid for them. I even recall reviewer Andrew Robinson in one of the audio forums making mention that Eric had hired some people to help out.

Wouldn't you considering that giving a false sense that his company is larger then it is? Telling customers that you've hired guys and everything will be fine and never having it materialize is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm making references to things that happened last year, I would certainly hope by now that Eric has gotten things under control and lead times have been improved.

Despite all his troubles I personally hope he turns things around.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #1778 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmensrea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

I suggest you yourself read through this thread and find the posts I've made that support the statement of mine you quoted. And since when did you become the spokesperson for 'us'? As to having an agenda, no doubt nefarious and clandestine, I reject your claim.

So, in other words, you are unable to offer any evidence to your claims that Eric has "fabricated stories about the scope and size of his business", aside from of course the bald statement that he has.

And I might ask you the same: since when did you decide to be the spokesperson for anyone?

A general observation: lawyers who rely on pretentious syntax are usually hiding deep-seated insecurities, either as to their own personal adequacy or in relation to their position or argument. Just sayin'.
This thread is not so long that it would present insurmountable difficulties in your going through it and finding the relevant posts I've made that support my earlier statements. I will not be be doing the requisite legwork for you. Whether you concur with my analysis or not is quite another matter. As to being a spokesperson for anyone, I do nothing more than lend my voice where I feel it can do some good. I look to ensure that those who have been screwed over have their voices amplified, sometimes repeatedly so since those new to the thread might not be predisposed to read through its entirety such as yourself. Much as some would like to think or conclude that those who've had to wait extraordinary amounts of time or Who have not received their grills are but isolated and rare instances, they are not. Just as smoke coming from a building is symptomatic of a serious underlying problem or the occasional story one reads about shoplifting belies the massive scope of the problem, so too these stories that folks share underscore serious issues with the company.
This is not a court of law, it is a court of public opinion. I hide nothing. Can the same be said for Tekton when it comes to honoring their commitments or accurately portraying their business?
padgman1 likes this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #1779 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 01:14 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

How is not reading through 60 pages of a thread being "ignorant"?

Since English appears to be a challenge for you, let me spell it out: I only took issue with Chu Gai's specific statement that Eric had "fabricated stories about the scope and size of his business". I did not dispute the other complaints about timing, missing grills and general lack of organization - about all of which yes I agree there seems some evidence.

So why can't Chu substantiate words he claims he himself said? Are you now also claiming Eric has "fabricated stories about the scope and size of his business" too? What is your evidence? It's a darn simple question that both Chu Gai and now you are expending a lot of energy ducking. Are you also into slandering people trying to make a go of it just because you're bored and, well, you know, it's the internet and you can say whatever you feel like with impunity?

And please, at least make the attempt to be a little original in your rejoinders. At least Chu can be entertaining.

Quote:

... Oh never mind.

Let the record show that I've gone and done it and ordered a full Pendragon HT set today. Custom paint job (high gloss automotive Ferrari Red - vroom!), grills (wooden frames with plug in holes, not the flimsy outsourced ones) and all.

Let the countdown begin and may the force be with me.

As I look over the post looks like realmensrea placed an order for a full HT set of Pendragons. The post above says he is getting the wood grills...think so? So, looks like you did not go through the 60 pages of this thread right?

Got your speakers yet? When you do get your speakers you expect to get speakers with the grill holes in the front right? Do yours have the grill holes? Did the grills ship with the speakers? Did you get them in the 2-4 weeks as posted on the website now? Why do you think you will get the real wood grills and not the flimsy ones?

I hope you will report with pictures if you order is on spec and on time. Nothing would please me more than to see a report that your speakers were delivered on time and 100% as you ordered them with real grills. Unfortunately, those 60 pages make me think you may be in for a surprise....

I encourage every prospective buyer to review every single post on this forum as it is kinda the Angie's List equivalent for Tekton.
post #1780 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 04:25 PM

You guys have provided great view points from different perspectives. I hope we can all leave her respecting each other. I really just wanted to get feedback from different sides, so I hope we do that and not spend time attacking each other. 

I will keep you guys in the loop as to what the feedback is for my suggestions.

post #1781 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested in buying Pendragon's....but would love to know if someone has a pair set up in the LA, San Diego, Palm Springs area I could listen too?
I'm currently using Magnepan's....for a full 5.1 set up...1.7s, and MMG's for rear.
Was thinking of trying these out before I go super high end, with speakers like Revel, Wilson or Aerial.

Just would like to hear their 'sound' before I buy....
post #1782 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post

Hamlet, have you been asked to be an official mouthpiece for the company?

I have not amatuerholic. I am trying to help Tekton as an assignment for my PR case studies class. This is my primary research. I would like to present the case to Eric and hope he would implement the suggestions. 

post #1783 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post

I'm interested in buying Pendragon's....but would love to know if someone has a pair set up in the LA, San Diego, Palm Springs area I could listen too?
I'm currently using Magnepan's....for a full 5.1 set up...1.7s, and MMG's for rear.
Was thinking of trying these out before I go super high end, with speakers like Revel, Wilson or Aerial.

Just would like to hear their 'sound' before I buy....

Hope you find someone dancjodanc.  

post #1784 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Who gives a sh!t about anything discussed in this thread? Let's ask the real question: Do the speakers sound good?
crammit likes this.
post #1785 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I know why people want grills on the Pendragon as those woofers are ugly as sin but the SEAS Pendragon looks good I think.

Soundman5000 likes this.
post #1786 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

As I look over the post looks like realmensrea placed an order for a full HT set of Pendragons. The post above says he is getting the wood grills...think so? So, looks like you did not go through the 60 pages of this thread right?

Got your speakers yet? When you do get your speakers you expect to get speakers with the grill holes in the front right? Do yours have the grill holes? Did the grills ship with the speakers? Did you get them in the 2-4 weeks as posted on the website now? Why do you think you will get the real wood grills and not the flimsy ones?

I hope you will report with pictures if you order is on spec and on time. Nothing would please me more than to see a report that your speakers were delivered on time and 100% as you ordered them with real grills. Unfortunately, those 60 pages make me think you may be in for a surprise....

I encourage every prospective buyer to review every single post on this forum as it is kinda the Angie's List equivalent for Tekton.

Soundman, I doubt I will be surprised. I fully expect Eric to be behind schedule. I have only a half-hope that the grills will be included as promised. I am not an Eric apologist - it is patently clear his business needs help. Out of all posters here, I take issue with Chu Gai only. He claims to be acting according to some high moral imperative. Perhaps that is the way it started. But at some point he has turned into a mean spirited bully. He has neither auditioned the speakers nor had any business dealings with Tekton. All he is doing now is fomenting discord and causing mischief.

Here's my perspective: I am interested in Eric's speakers. I have heard both good and bad about their sound quality, but mostly good. I'd like to give them a try since I can afford them. If they arrive late and/or come without grills, to me those are inconveniences, no more, no less. I am buying speakers, not outstanding customer service nor even the grills (though, sure, I would prefer to have everything go my way).

My fear is that Eric and his business will implode not from an inferior product but because he cannot get the small things right to satisfy the capricious whims of a consumer market that has been conditioned to expect perfection. But, how realistic is that? People need to get their priorities straight. It would also do everyone a little good to accept that sometimes people will be less than perfect. A simple read through the first few pages of the Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker bar forum will show that Eric isn't the only one with quality control, customer service or supply chain issues. But Pioneer can afford to take some flak. They can weather whatever pathetic storm AVS forumers can conjure. Tekton is different. It is likely an undercapitalized and definitely undermanned venture with what appears to be a pretty good product line, but with business practice issues. Why try and kill it? If you've been wronged and lied to by Eric and Tekton, then at least I can understand the frustration. I get it. Vent away. But Chu Gai has no dog in this fight, but he would clearly rather see the enterprise fail than be rehabilitated. How is that not wrong?

I will report back my personal experience once I get delivery of my 5.2. To date, Eric has been prompt on all email communications (same day or next day). But of course, that is not the real test.
post #1787 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 575
^ sorry but that is a load of crap. When you spend thousands of dollars on speakers - not talking about $60 AJ speakers - you have every right to get what you ordered and it should be perfect. Look at all the other ID companies (none of them "pioneer like") and you will not read 60 pages on their threads that come close to resembling this thread. Examples - Ascend, Salk, Philharmonic to name a few and they all actually post measurements and other info on their website. Sure it may take time to get an order from them but they all communicate when to expect it, let you know if there are delays and more importantly back up their products if an issue arises. They also ship grills with their speakers smile.gif

There are plenty of very good speaker choices out there and no one should have to settle for getting any less than what they ordered in the time frame it was promised - last time I checked that had nothing to do with priorities but with a basic tenant of staying in business which is providing good/great customer service. As you said its your money, none of us want to see anyone go out of business but if you don't fix the problems capital will take you only so far.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #1788 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 09:41 PM

Liked: 16
Said with all the ease, nonchalance and sanctimony of someone who has never had to build anything.
post #1789 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Said with all the ease, nonchalance and sanctimony of someone who has never had to build anything.

What does that have to do with anything?
post #1790 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Realmensrea, so how many pages of the thread have you read now?
post #1791 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:

Well I owned tekton and he forgot to put the label on one of the speakers. You figure 8 weeks to build and he could get it done. 3 emails and no response and I gave up. At reference level the tweeter in his lore speaker is screaming. Mercy, mercy I am distorting.

Oh and by the way I've built dozens of speakers. And I have recently sold 20 subwoofers to customers and not once did I drop the ball.
post #1792 of 1860 Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Just curious, from where did all the Tekton owners and potential owners first learn about the company? Was it from discussion within a particular forum such as Audiogon, Audiocircle or Audiosylum? A particular magazine? etc.

I've noticed that many seem to have a similar mindset about audio in common.

post #1793 of 1860 Old 05-01-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:

Seriously that's all you got and you know me/work with me? By the way I just received an Horizon center speaker made by Ascend - perfect - and for what I paid you can bet I looked it over closely. I would expect nothing less from Ascend, one reason I do business with them.

Cruel - for me it was Audiogon postings and then paying more attention to the brand on AVS. My wife always wonders why I spend time on that website, but for me its a great way to learn more about who is making what for equipment.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #1794 of 1860 Old 05-01-2014, 04:52 PM

Liked: 20
When I decided to buy a new sound system I read a bunch of Audio magazines as reference material to help in my decision making process.
When I first came to this site I was shocked by how almost everyone was complaining about grills and long delivery times. For weeks I delayed my purchase because of what I was reading here. I'm sure that some people have decided against buying Tekton because of what has been written on this page. I once had some jackass tell me that my opinion was not a credible one after I commented how much I liked my new speakers.
I've had my Pens for 8 months now and I really enjoy them. It satisfies me to know that my speaker shopping days are done for several years or more.
Now I can worry about replacing the HVAC.
If you want a great set of speakers, buy the Pens.
post #1795 of 1860 Old 05-01-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspectr View Post

When I decided to buy a new sound system I read a bunch of Audio magazines as reference material to help in my decision making process.
When I first came to this site I was shocked by how almost everyone was complaining about grills and long delivery times. For weeks I delayed my purchase because of what I was reading here. I'm sure that some people have decided against buying Tekton because of what has been written on this page. I once had some jackass tell me that my opinion was not a credible one after I commented how much I liked my new speakers.
I've had my Pens for 8 months now and I really enjoy them. It satisfies me to know that my speaker shopping days are done for several years or more.
Now I can worry about replacing the HVAC.
If you want a great set of speakers, buy the Pens.

Glad your enjoying the Pens Inspectr. Are there some things during your shopping process with Tekton that you would say were good and others that need improving?

amatuerholic likes this.
post #1796 of 1860 Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 AM

Hi guys,

I have to say, I've never seen a thread with so much about everything but the actual performance of the product the thread is about.  Tens and TENS of posts about the problems, peoples' business plans for Eric, etc.  Then one post about the Pens...

"They sound great!"  Or, "A tweeter is faulty."

Gee, how thorough.

Honestly, stay on topic - the Pendragons, ie. sound and/or problems with them.  Or hey, associated equipment!  Start a new thread about Tekton if you want to go on and on about this other stuff.  Because speaking in terms of threads...

It's gruesome...without question the most obscene example of internet forum/discourse I've ever seen in terms of staying on or near topic. 

Very sorry.  I'm really not trying to be rude.  But it seems pointless and in very poor etiquette.  Yes, worse etiquette than me pointing this out...

Signed,

If I can't get the Pens because of production or quality issues, what other pair can I get that goes as low and performs as well for the price?

PS.  If anyone can recommend a post in this thread that talks about their sound and performance in depth, please let me know.

PPS.  I'd rather it take forever than he skimp on the quality of construction for speed....if he hasn't done that, that is.

post #1797 of 1860 Old 05-10-2014, 02:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 601
It should be obvious to you that the reason the talk is dominated by issues other than performance is because Tekton is a poorly run business. No different than a restaurant that has great food but has an uninformed and surly wait staff, a noisy kitchen, and dishes that arrive 45 minutes later. There's plenty of other places to eat just as there are speaker companies.

At a GTG where Tekton was heard along with other speakers, IIRC, they were found decent but there didn't appear to be any qualities that elevated them from the rest. Many folks who've bought them are very pleased with their purchase but a reading of other speaker threads also finds people very pleased with their speakers.
CruelInventions likes this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #1798 of 1860 Old 05-10-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 909
We compared them in the Kansas City G2G in the park 2013 to several different speakers.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492327/kansas-city-speaker-g2g-and-barbeque-in-the-park-saturday-october-19-2013

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #1799 of 1860 Old 05-10-2014, 08:31 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

We compared them in the Kansas City G2G in the park 2013 to several different speakers.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492327/kansas-city-speaker-g2g-and-barbeque-in-the-park-saturday-october-19-2013

Archaea, not much in that thread in the way of the speakers themselves or the sound. I think I read in other posts that the people that attended their said the Pens sounded ok but the 212's stole the show. I'm doing a 1099 build, so once done I can give some A + B comparison. I'll post some pics of the 10" drivers, the look remarkably similar but no cigar.

post #1800 of 1860 Old 05-10-2014, 12:07 PM

Liked: 21
The Eminence Delta 10B (1099 build) vs the Pens (looks like Alpha 10A).

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page