Tekton Pendragon - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1801 of 1819 Old 05-10-2014, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Yeah, I know that issues with the company should be mentioned as they would about a restaurant or anything.  But this thread is for a particular speaker, or dish.  So I think the bulk of issue posts, business plans people come up with, and they are many. should be in a Tekton thread, not a Pendragon one.  I vented...thanks.  Now...

Thanks for the lowdown on their sound.  (And that link with the JTR's.)  Being I'm not a golden ear at all and very happy with that ignorance, I'm looking for a good set of full rangers.  Two speakers for movies and music - more music....no sats or subs...down to 20's or near it.....boom......done. 

I'd considered vintage - Celestion Ditton 66's - tough to get a hold of and have delicate tweeters, Klipsch Cornerhorns - I won't have the right room, some DCM Timewindows, the RSL Elan, VMPS, etc., but decided i'd prefer a new or newer speaker that's well available and needs nothing done.  Considered DefTechs and Golden Ear, but heard side firing woofers can be a bit sloppy.  (Not sure I believe that.)  Honestly, I really would prefer those woofers point straight at me.  :)  Call me old school. 

The low range is not so much for movies, although that's a bonus, but for rock, techno, and more so classical organ works.  (Life is short - I want it all.  It doesn't have to be perfect.)  Should confuse the neighbors...an added bonus.

The Pens really seem to cover the most territory the best for the price.  But any recommendations or comments on any of these speakers or others are really welcome.  I'll be sticking with a $2500 budget, since the Pens set the bar there.  While you guys might be impressed or just like a certain speaker, I've been listening to Cerwin D-5's, JBL L36's with a bad refoam job, heard some Maggies...1.6 I think...once or twice.  So whatever I settle on...

I'm going to be jello.  Just totalled.

Really looking forward to that.

PS.  Any woman that may appear in my life will have to just deal, (famous last.) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1819 Old 05-10-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 402
If you think Pens set the bar at $2500 then you haven't done your homework or need grills. Hopefully that woman that enters your life isn't a cat lover smile.gif

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 4311 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #1803 of 1819 Old 05-10-2014, 08:41 PM

2nd thought, I heard foil is good anti-claw remedy.  I have one pair of cat proof Celestions.  Cat proof as in the grills are already done in by previous ones.  ;) 

post #1804 of 1819 Old 05-10-2014, 09:22 PM

Liked: 20
I actually had (yet another) experience where my Pendragons slayed some higher end offerings. The speakers were Vandersteen 7s with over a hundred grand worth of Ayre amplification.

My Pendragons basically destroyed those speakers sonic-wise! The Vandies were... Not. Even. Close. And I usually love Vandersteens! The Vandies sounded dry, small and very un-engaging. A very etched, clinical presentation. I thought the Treos sounded much better than the 7s yet my Pens easily bettered them. Could it have been the amplification? The room? The digital front end? Don't know, but my system sounds much, much more impressive and "high end".

Now, the room with the Magnepan 20.7s sounded a lot like my system. Rich, vivid and very big. Mine has more dynamics and "slam", but the Maggies were a close match sound-wise to my set-up. Maybe a tad more elegant in the layering of musical textures and detail. They definitely threw a little higher soundstage, but they should, 'cause they're like freakin' 20 feet tall!

Anyway, I would love to play around with those Vandersteen 7s to see if they were set-up improperly or something, but I can tell you with all honesty, my speakers sound better. I plan on taking my wife to hear them. It will blow her mind how much our system hangs with the "big boys".

Nothing makes you feel better about your speakers than finding that, not only do they hold their own against speakers over 50k, they actually better them. biggrin.gif

I feel very, very proud and fortunate!

So yeah, here's another non-negative post here very much in favor of the Tekton Pendragon....

avs markie likes this.
post #1805 of 1819 Old 05-10-2014, 09:30 PM

that red is pretty cool looking...

audiosavant likes this.
post #1806 of 1819 Old 05-10-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crammit View Post

that red is pretty cool looking...

I love 'em! smile.gif

Although truthfully, I ordered it in this color because this is considered a "standard" color (Ferrari Red). I was worried I might not like them and you can only return non-custom colors/veneers. I played it somewhat safe but did not want the standard black box.

If I had known how incredible they were, I might have ordered them in something really far-out color wise. Still might. I'm thinking of getting a pair of Lores for a SET system.

But yeah, they look really sharp and are quite the attention grabber...They look much more impressive in person than any photo I've seen.
post #1807 of 1819 Old 05-11-2014, 09:55 PM

I can imagine.  Very cool the variation of colors and veneers available, granted I'm not sure how many there are.  They aren't on the site except some photos.  But it's great because they're pretty huge.  That big, you should have choice in colors and veneers.  Very smart on Eric's part...extremely practical.

post #1808 of 1819 Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 PM

Would you mind giving a bit of a review on these?  There are posts on that I'm sure, but they're buried in 60 pages of other things.  Very hard to find.  I'm sure people researching will go to the last page of this thread trying to find info on the sound of them.  I know I'd like to hear (more) how they perform on certain/different musics, movies, with certain equipment, etc.  Of course, this is only if you care to talk about them and have done any real listening.  ;)

post #1809 of 1819 Old 05-20-2014, 06:44 PM

The latest two sets of speakers that Eric posted in his blog for sale all have the grills. Now the question is whether there is no more foam grills, and he finally provides the real grills when you choose the grill options during the online order? Can someone confirm? thanks.
post #1810 of 1819 Old 05-23-2014, 10:56 AM

Liked: 12
Ok , everyoneI have not said to much on here but I read A lot. It seems everyone is still bashing tekton. I know some people have had problem,s and i am not on Eric,s side but I have a set- of m-lores 5.1. and they sound great and yep no grills yet. But I do think all the bashing if any should come from people who own them. Not people who just don,t have anything better to do with their life than to sit on a forum all day and bash when you have not even listened to them. I have had my speakers for over a year and i love them from what I understand they have speakers box,ed and ready to ship. If you don,t want to do business with them then fine there are other people who make speakers, I had a great exp with eric when I bought mine.. Have a great day
Foggy1 and crammit like this.
post #1811 of 1819 Old 05-23-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackie2 View Post

Ok , everyoneI have not said to much on here but I read A lot. It seems everyone is still bashing tekton. I know some people have had problem,s and i am not on Eric,s side but I have a set- of m-lores 5.1. and they sound great and yep no grills yet. But I do think all the bashing if any should come from people who own them. Not people who just don,t have anything better to do with their life than to sit on a forum all day and bash when you have not even listened to them. I have had my speakers for over a year and i love them from what I understand they have speakers box,ed and ready to ship. If you don,t want to do business with them then fine there are other people who make speakers, I had a great exp with eric when I bought mine.. Have a great day

So you've had your speakers for over a year now and still don't have any grills? Has Eric gotten back to you at all as to when you might have these grills? Or has he just forgotten about you? Posting that kind of info is just as helpful as saying that your speakers sound great, so that any potential owners know what they are getting into.
post #1812 of 1819 Old 05-23-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackie2 View Post

Here you go zackie,
I had tekton oriel 10 for almost a year. They were very good but at higher SPL over 95dbs the tweeter would start to distort. When watching movies at reference or you invite buddies over to listen cranked and the sound was compressed. If you kept it under 95dbs it was fine.

For the last six months I have went diy and they can play at 105dbs clean. Also with waveguide they are more dynamic for movies. Movies is my main priority. I think the tektons are better for music. For the price and if you go commercial the tektons are good.

Service for me was so so. Took 10 weeks, and forgot to put tekton label on one speaker . several emails and never got the other label. Sold them. His production times are very poor. How can I say ? Cuz for the last three months I have been building speakers. If I had his shop and three people helping me, the lead time would be a week.
post #1813 of 1819 Old 07-10-2014, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Enzos should hit Michigan on Friday, wish me luck
audiosavant likes this.
post #1814 of 1819 Old 07-14-2014, 10:47 AM

Liked: 12
Hi , Everyone Still have my M -lores Still love them but let me say This I have Had second Thought,s Not About my speakers I love Them. But I have contacted Eric about The grill,s not that I realy need Them but to the Fact I have been Told They were coming. Now it,s been well over a year Now it Has came to the point that I am now getting no-reply from Tekton. Which I realy don,t like to just not reply to me That is what realy rub,s me the wrong way. I am not looking for speakers right now but I know I will down the road. Sorry but they will not be from Tekton
post #1815 of 1819 Old 07-14-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have a set of lores, with grilles, the grilles took 6 months to get, lol, but the speakers sound good, I power them with a tube amp {used to use a black magic but switched to a jolida with a little more power, may put the carver back in the system in the future}. Eric seems to sell more speakers than he can build so I guess enough people ignore the production of grilles issue. I know when I was buying my speakers he had all kinds of personal problems, none of which should have been shared with a customer on the other side of the country, but I understand hardships and was over all happy with my purchase....

My attorneys office has a set of Pendragons in the waiting room with a tiny 3 or 5 watt tube amp and they sounded good {first tekton speaker I ever heard}, but they didnt have grills, lol...
post #1816 of 1819 Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess that part that I find totally ridiculous is exactly what zackie2 posted, Erik get's your money and once he has that its basically a crap shoot as to whether or not you'll get your grills. I still say there's absolutely no excuse for that no matter how great the speakers sound.
post #1817 of 1819 Old 07-18-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I guess that part that I find totally ridiculous is exactly what zackie2 posted, Erik get's your money and once he has that its basically a crap shoot as to whether or not you'll get your grills. I still say there's absolutely no excuse for that no matter how great the speakers sound.
Have you listened to any Tekton speakers?
post #1818 of 1819 Old 07-18-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy1 View Post
Have you listened to any Tekton speakers?

Was considering buying some Pendragon's before I got my JTR's until I read about all of the horror stories with deliveries and grills. So I stayed well away, a local forum member around me had some though but has since sold his and moved on.
post #1819 of 1819 Old 07-19-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Was considering buying some Pendragon's before I got my JTR's until I read about all of the horror stories with deliveries and grills. So I stayed well away, a local forum member around me had some though but has since sold his and moved on.
Have not listened to JTR's but my Tekton Enzo's are really sweet
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page