Tekton Pendragon - Page 62 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1831 of 1860 Old 12-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Member
 
ptalar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd7890 View Post
Has anyone heard both the Pendragon and the tux1099...I would love to hear some comparisons.

Who makes the tux1099?
ptalar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1832 of 1860 Old 12-11-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,269
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvistehebeagle View Post
My "handle was [elvisthebeagle). In March 2013 I came to this site after reading a review from Andrew Robinson, and Mojo about some fantastic loudspeakers . I have money, but I am not wealthy. I have owned Altecs of the 1970's and the top line Def Techs, I was tired of buying "big boom" speakers with limited detail. I came to this site for advice. I had ordered the Pendragon 5.0 (no subs) system Red. Amp was a Pioneer SC-27 now a 67. Almost all I got back was how this site is for "professionals", "engineers" that could write and understand the complex dynamics of Loudspeakers. These people were some of the greatest legends of our time in their own minds. I received no help, only criticism for any question or opinion I posted. SO WHY IN THE HELL DO YOU GUYS INVITE ME BACK? YOU E-MAILED ME. Here is my take on Tekton, Eric, and the Pengragon line. For the money there is not one loudspeaker system that can touch it. I don't think you can spend 5X the money and do better. If Eric says: " 5-8 weeks" that means "8-10 months". Forget the grills. I AM VERY HAPPY THAT I WAITED, FAIR TRADE, TIME FOR QUALITY. I live in a condo, thats why I held off on the subs. Eric said he was working on something that would be "just right" for me. That turned out to be the "Enzo Sub". At first that speakers were amazing compared to the Def Techs. I used a pair of def tech Subs with them. I wrote the Eric to me was like going back in time and meeting Leo Fender. Eric is my "Guru". Eric was going to change the industry. A true Hi-FI loudspeaker that the "masses" could afford. Only catch, the wait. I'm sorry for the "cry babies" that canceled. 6 Months ago, Eric sent me my Enzo Sub. No grills of course. MY system is perfect in the sense that I do not even need to run the "set up" from McMACC Pioneer. I am just running it "Pure Direct". "Breath Taking"! I don't write this rag because it is a " I am so brilliant" mirror. Write something and think that you sound so "GREAT". I'm busy enjoying my system. I have a ways to go. Better Amp. Pioneer Elite, calling it and the Company "garbage" would be kind. Need better cables. That's it. Eric wants to build speakers, not grills. A flaw. SO WHAT! For the money, Nothing on this planet will touch these. Eric is a Loudspeaker genius. Eric has a lot of pressure. Eric can be moody. Eric IS VERY HONEST! He just can't tell time. He wants so badly to " share his products with the world" that he sometimes bites off more that he can chew. In the end, Eric is extremely honest with the flaw of predicting production time. Last is, all the "experts" that "know everything" in this chat room. One is "****". I think he believes that he built the Apollo Moon lander. He knows everything. My only question to him is why not build your own loudspeaker and show us all how it is done? Show Eric. Tekton Pendragon 5.1 with the Enzo Sub has allowed me to have an "top notch" audiophile's system. All this thanks to Eric and his "personality flaws". Thank you very much Eric. You are a great friend to have in the industry. Without you, I would be listening to Golden Ear or more Made In China Garbage. Elvisthebeagle.
Just curious, do you like them? Do you have measurements to prove you like them?

Hehe, j/k! I don't care whether you have measurements . Glad you like them and I always enjoy reading the excitement of folks that love their systems. Preference is king when it comes to speakers for sure. You're review is kinda nutty and a bit evangelical, but I like that, lol. "Fair Trade" - cracked up at that one!!

Enjoy!
Gooddoc is online now  
post #1833 of 1860 Old 12-11-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,666
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd7890 View Post
Has anyone heard both the Pendragon and the tux1099...I would love to hear some comparisons.
I had the pendragon center channel with oriel 10. I now have 1099's. Pm me if u want to know difference.
chalugadp is offline  
post #1834 of 1860 Old 12-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Member
 
syd7890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd7890 View Post
Has anyone heard both the Pendragon and the tux1099...I would love to hear some comparisons.
I had the pendragon center channel with oriel 10. I now have 1099's. Pm me if u want to know difference.

I'm having problems sending you a PM, but would love to hear your impressions of the two speakers. Feel free to PM me, if you can.
Thanks!
syd7890 is offline  
post #1835 of 1860 Old 12-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Member
 
syd7890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd7890 View Post
Has anyone heard both the Pendragon and the tux1099...I would love to hear some comparisons.

Who makes the tux1099?
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...sion-1099.html
syd7890 is offline  
post #1836 of 1860 Old 12-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Member
 
syd7890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought that it would be an interesting comparison: they both have a 99db rating, and use dual 10" Eminence drivers. The tux1099 uses a waveguide in place of the three tweeters though.
syd7890 is offline  
post #1837 of 1860 Old 12-11-2014, 10:25 PM
Member
 
syd7890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd7890 View Post
I thought that it would be an interesting comparison: they both have a 99db rating, and use dual 10" Eminence drivers. The tux1099 uses a waveguide in place of the three tweeters though.
I forgot to mention that the tux1099 is a DIY kit, but costs about 1/3 of the price of the Pendragons.
The Pendragons are larger, and may offer more bass as a result.

Any thoughts, or insight?
syd7890 is offline  
post #1838 of 1860 Old 12-12-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,656
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd7890 View Post
I thought that it would be an interesting comparison: they both have a 99db rating, and use dual 10" Eminence drivers. The tux1099 uses a waveguide in place of the three tweeters though.
The problem is that you could never push the Pendragon's to the SPL levels that the 1099's can hit, the tweeters would go up in smoke before you got close to the output SPL levels the 1099 can hit.
jbrown15 is offline  
post #1839 of 1860 Old 12-12-2014, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,656
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd7890 View Post
I forgot to mention that the tux1099 is a DIY kit, but costs about 1/3 of the price of the Pendragons.
The Pendragons are larger, and may offer more bass as a result.

Any thoughts, or insight?
I'm sure below 80hz they would have more bass then the 1099's, but above that I would think they would be close.
jbrown15 is offline  
post #1840 of 1860 Old 12-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Member
 
nb67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Argyle, TX
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
The problem is that you could never push the Pendragon's to the SPL levels that the 1099's can hit, the tweeters would go up in smoke before you got close to the output SPL levels the 1099 can hit.
Yep, I have both the 1099 and pendragon and the main difference (well 2 actually) is that the Pendragon where designed as a full range speaker and the 1099 where designed to be crossed at 80 Hz. With that being said I designed the 1099 from the original drawings that were provided which had a slightly smaller (depth wise) enclosure.
I see that since then the guys added another 2" to the depth which would bring the drop off point to about 55-60 Hz.
The big difference is the Pendragons bass and the 1099's ability to play at ear bleeding levels without flinching. Now if we could marry the 2 and have the depth of the Pens and the mid to upper performance of the 1099, now that would be something.


Last edited by nb67; 12-12-2014 at 02:17 PM.
nb67 is offline  
post #1841 of 1860 Old 12-12-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,666
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67 View Post
Yep, I have both the 1099 and pendragon and the main difference (well 2 actually) is that the Pendragon where designed as a full range speaker and the 1099 where designed to be crossed at 80 Hz. With that being said I designed the 1099 from the original drawings that were provided which had a slightly smaller (depth wise) enclosure.
I see that since then the guys added another 2" to the depth which would bring the drop off point to about 55-60 Hz.
The big difference is the Pendragons bass and the 1099's ability to play act ear bleeding levels without flinching. Now if we could marry the 2 and have the depth of the Pens and the mid to upper performance of the 1099, now that would be something.
With my 4 subs and 1099s i have that sonic bliss
chalugadp is offline  
post #1842 of 1860 Old 12-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Member
 
nb67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Argyle, TX
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
With my 4 subs and 1099s i have that sonic bliss
That will sound pretty sweet I bet.

nb67 is offline  
post #1843 of 1860 Old 12-12-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,666
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67 View Post
That will sound pretty sweet I bet.
Yup I'm finally fully happy.
chalugadp is offline  
post #1844 of 1860 Old 12-13-2014, 02:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bellingham
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I still love my Pendragon 5.1 system

I was elvisthebeagle and something happened to my "handle". I was minding my own business and was asked to "chime in". I have tossed my Pioneer SC-67 in the garbage. I said to the garbage can that I was "sorry" to toss something that is worst than garbage in its "can". Pioneer in the last 10 years has let their products side below horrible. The construction and cheap jacks are not strong enough to hold up the new stiff and heavy duty cables being used today. I had a SC-07, Dead. Then a SC-27, Dead. Now the SC-67 is acting up and Best Buy with Pioneer will not or are unable to address the problems. I'm done. The upside is I bought a Emotiva XPA-5 for $888.00 and a Marantz AV-7701 refurb off of Amazon for about $ 900.00. Now I have lower lows and higher highs not to mention increased detail. I bought the AV 7701 because I have a 4K TV and even the very new AV's do not have the correct 4k copy protection hardware. HDCP2.2 is going to cause a lot of frustration to those of us who demand to "own" our copy of the 4K content. 4K Blu ray is due out late 2015 and a lot of people are going to find out that HDMI 2.0 and 1.4b pass thru won't allow 4k Blu ray to play. So, I bought something to hold me over till Marantz get the specs worked out. NO, I do not have measurements on my sound. NO, I do not pretend to have a degree from MIT. ALSO, I DO NOT "CUT AND PASTE" OTHER PEOPLE'S COMMENTS IN A LAME ATTEMPT TO LOOK LIKE A "AUDIO GURU". My Pendragons are far better that my old DEF TECH's series BP2000 and remind me of my old "Voice of the theater" Loudspeakers from Altec Lansing that needed a pallet jack to move them. I will say this now as I said before that for the money I have not heard of anything that comes close as a HI-FI and Home theater system. I do not include these kits that I am now seeing on the form. They are for people with true wood working skills and some true audio back round. Those people have my upmost respect. Not the "cut and paste" and "I am the know it all of everything" peeps. For those "peeps" I will repeat my self and say that if you are so smart then "put your name" on one of your masterpieces and sell them for millions of dollars and then I will see some credibility. Eric even with his problem of "telling what month this is" is a great Loudspeaker designer and builder. I don't need pictures, graphs and a oscilloscope to tell me that my system sounds great all day long. What really blows me away is the Atmos" and the add more "tiny cheap" speakers peeps. Eric's cabinets are a major part of what makes them so great. They are big and fill the room with sound. Adding more speakers would be over kill unless your have a real movie theater in your house. If you do then you afford a $100,000.00 down payment on a real system. My whole system is under $7000.00. TV is $2000.00. All I know is I have a great system for my investment. My measuring stick is looking at Audiogon or Ebay and almost never seeing Tekton speakers for sale. I do see plenty of B&W, Klipsch , Def Techs for sale that are in the same price range. Zu, seems to get sold often. I have never bought anything in audio / video without seeing or hearing. I read three reviews and then talked to Eric. I took a Leap of faith. I am so happy that I did. I am a Tekton Pendragon owner from May 2013. I recommend to those shopping to invest in "separate Amps and AV processors". The Receivers and I mean all of them are way under powered. They may list 150 watts per channel that is really with only two channels driven and for a one second "burst of power". In reality they are around 70 to 80 watts of power. They use the cheapest components and charge the most money. If you see a deal it is because it most likely is outdated HDMI and or audio Specs. A good amp almost never changes. Then just swap out the AV processor. Good Amps for the money and seem to work well with these loudspeakers to name a few are Outlaw, Emotiva and Crown. To all of you happy Tekton owners I say; " Isn't life great" and to the cut and paste " audio legends in their own minds" I say; "get a life". I'm evisthebeagle, and you're not.
michaelthemutt is offline  
post #1845 of 1860 Old 12-13-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,656
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthemutt View Post
I was elvisthebeagle and something happened to my "handle". I was minding my own business and was asked to "chime in". I have tossed my Pioneer SC-67 in the garbage. I said to the garbage can that I was "sorry" to toss something that is worst than garbage in its "can". Pioneer in the last 10 years has let their products side below horrible. The construction and cheap jacks are not strong enough to hold up the new stiff and heavy duty cables being used today. I had a SC-07, Dead. Then a SC-27, Dead. Now the SC-67 is acting up and Best Buy with Pioneer will not or are unable to address the problems. I'm done.


The upside is I bought a Emotiva XPA-5 for $888.00 and a Marantz AV-7701 refurb off of Amazon for about $ 900.00. Now I have lower lows and higher highs not to mention increased detail. I bought the AV 7701 because I have a 4K TV and even the very new AV's do not have the correct 4k copy protection hardware. HDCP2.2 is going to cause a lot of frustration to those of us who demand to "own" our copy of the 4K content. 4K Blu ray is due out late 2015 and a lot of people are going to find out that HDMI 2.0 and 1.4b pass thru won't allow 4k Blu ray to play. So, I bought something to hold me over till Marantz get the specs worked out.


NO, I do not have measurements on my sound. NO, I do not pretend to have a degree from MIT. ALSO, I DO NOT "CUT AND PASTE" OTHER PEOPLE'S COMMENTS IN A LAME ATTEMPT TO LOOK LIKE A "AUDIO GURU". My Pendragons are far better that my old DEF TECH's series BP2000 and remind me of my old "Voice of the theater" Loudspeakers from Altec Lansing that needed a pallet jack to move them. I will say this now as I said before that for the money I have not heard of anything that comes close as a HI-FI and Home theater system. I do not include these kits that I am now seeing on the form. They are for people with true wood working skills and some true audio back round. Those people have my upmost respect. Not the "cut and paste" and "I am the know it all of everything" peeps. For those "peeps" I will repeat my self and say that if you are so smart then "put your name" on one of your masterpieces and sell them for millions of dollars and then I will see some credibility.


Eric even with his problem of "telling what month this is" is a great Loudspeaker designer and builder. I don't need pictures, graphs and a oscilloscope to tell me that my system sounds great all day long. What really blows me away is the Atmos" and the add more "tiny cheap" speakers peeps. Eric's cabinets are a major part of what makes them so great. They are big and fill the room with sound. Adding more speakers would be over kill unless your have a real movie theater in your house. If you do then you afford a $100,000.00 down payment on a real system. My whole system is under $7000.00. TV is $2000.00. All I know is I have a great system for my investment.


My measuring stick is looking at Audiogon or Ebay and almost never seeing Tekton speakers for sale. I do see plenty of B&W, Klipsch , Def Techs for sale that are in the same price range. Zu, seems to get sold often. I have never bought anything in audio / video without seeing or hearing. I read three reviews and then talked to Eric. I took a Leap of faith. I am so happy that I did. I am a Tekton Pendragon owner from May 2013. I recommend to those shopping to invest in "separate Amps and AV processors". The Receivers and I mean all of them are way under powered. They may list 150 watts per channel that is really with only two channels driven and for a one second "burst of power". In reality they are around 70 to 80 watts of power. They use the cheapest components and charge the most money. If you see a deal it is because it most likely is outdated HDMI and or audio Specs. A good amp almost never changes. Then just swap out the AV processor. Good Amps for the money and seem to work well with these loudspeakers to name a few are Outlaw, Emotiva and Crown. To all of you happy Tekton owners I say; " Isn't life great" and to the cut and paste " audio legends in their own minds" I say; "get a life". I'm evisthebeagle, and you're not.

I know you love your loud speakers but man, you need to break up your posts a little so that they are easily to read instead of looking like one massive paragraph. I kind of did it for you when I quoted your post so that you can see what I mean, it just makes it much easier to read. I'm not too sure of what to make of your post, are you ranting about electronics, raving about your speakers or putting down every other speaker besides Tekton?


Firstly your right, measurements aren't everything but they do give you a good idea of what's going on with the speaker and it's still a good idea to measure them. You should pick up a UMIK-1, download REW (its free) and give it a try, it'll help you understand what you're hearing and how the speakers are interacting with your room. And at the end of the day you could even end up improving how your Pendragon's sound with a few little tricks that you'll pick up on from knowing how your speakers and subs are interacting with the room.


You point about not seeing them for sale all the time and that's why they are such an awesome speaker is really just your opinion. The fact of the matter is that they do indeed pop up for sale from time to time, I think the biggest thing is that Tekton is a small company so it's not like they are pumping out thousands and thousands of speakers like all of the big brand names that you mentioned. I will agree that keep receivers will have a lot less power then that though.


I also don't really agree with what you're saying about the AVR's, Sound and Vision does a pretty good job of bench testing the power AVR's put out. They give you a 2-channel power rating and a 5-channel rating and also provide the THD at 0.1% and 1.0% with real wattage power. Most of the decent receivers will actually put out some good power, just take a look at a nice AVR like the Denon AVR-4520. For 5-channels driven you get 121wpc @ 0.1% THD. That's enough power to push more decent rated sensitivity speakers to reference levels, which is insanely loud.


I think it's awesome that you really love your Pendragon's but I'm not really sure what to make of your post? Do you have some pictures you could share of your speakers and room? I'd love to see some. Which generation Emotive XPA-5 did you get?
jbrown15 is offline  
post #1846 of 1860 Old 12-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Member
 
nb67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Argyle, TX
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Jbrown15, I'm with you on this one. The post kinda reminds me of that post on the dedicated HT thread "cruising-avs-forum-while-intoxicated"

nb67 is offline  
post #1847 of 1860 Old 12-13-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 10,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthemutt View Post
I was elvisthebeagle and something happened to my "handle". I was minding my own business and was asked to "chime in". I have tossed my Pioneer SC-67 in the garbage. I said to the garbage can that I was "sorry" to toss something that is worst than garbage in its "can". Pioneer in the last 10 years has let their products side below horrible. The construction and cheap jacks are not strong enough to hold up the new stiff and heavy duty cables being used today. I had a SC-07, Dead. Then a SC-27, Dead. Now the SC-67 is acting up and Best Buy with Pioneer will not or are unable to address the problems. I'm done. The upside is I bought a Emotiva XPA-5 for $888.00 and a Marantz AV-7701 refurb off of Amazon for about $ 900.00. Now I have lower lows and higher highs not to mention increased detail. I bought the AV 7701 because I have a 4K TV and even the very new AV's do not have the correct 4k copy protection hardware. HDCP2.2 is going to cause a lot of frustration to those of us who demand to "own" our copy of the 4K content. 4K Blu ray is due out late 2015 and a lot of people are going to find out that HDMI 2.0 and 1.4b pass thru won't allow 4k Blu ray to play. So, I bought something to hold me over till Marantz get the specs worked out. NO, I do not have measurements on my sound. NO, I do not pretend to have a degree from MIT. ALSO, I DO NOT "CUT AND PASTE" OTHER PEOPLE'S COMMENTS IN A LAME ATTEMPT TO LOOK LIKE A "AUDIO GURU". My Pendragons are far better that my old DEF TECH's series BP2000 and remind me of my old "Voice of the theater" Loudspeakers from Altec Lansing that needed a pallet jack to move them. I will say this now as I said before that for the money I have not heard of anything that comes close as a HI-FI and Home theater system. I do not include these kits that I am now seeing on the form. They are for people with true wood working skills and some true audio back round. Those people have my upmost respect. Not the "cut and paste" and "I am the know it all of everything" peeps. For those "peeps" I will repeat my self and say that if you are so smart then "put your name" on one of your masterpieces and sell them for millions of dollars and then I will see some credibility. Eric even with his problem of "telling what month this is" is a great Loudspeaker designer and builder. I don't need pictures, graphs and a oscilloscope to tell me that my system sounds great all day long. What really blows me away is the Atmos" and the add more "tiny cheap" speakers peeps. Eric's cabinets are a major part of what makes them so great. They are big and fill the room with sound. Adding more speakers would be over kill unless your have a real movie theater in your house. If you do then you afford a $100,000.00 down payment on a real system. My whole system is under $7000.00. TV is $2000.00. All I know is I have a great system for my investment. My measuring stick is looking at Audiogon or Ebay and almost never seeing Tekton speakers for sale. I do see plenty of B&W, Klipsch , Def Techs for sale that are in the same price range. Zu, seems to get sold often. I have never bought anything in audio / video without seeing or hearing. I read three reviews and then talked to Eric. I took a Leap of faith. I am so happy that I did. I am a Tekton Pendragon owner from May 2013. I recommend to those shopping to invest in "separate Amps and AV processors". The Receivers and I mean all of them are way under powered. They may list 150 watts per channel that is really with only two channels driven and for a one second "burst of power". In reality they are around 70 to 80 watts of power. They use the cheapest components and charge the most money. If you see a deal it is because it most likely is outdated HDMI and or audio Specs. A good amp almost never changes. Then just swap out the AV processor. Good Amps for the money and seem to work well with these loudspeakers to name a few are Outlaw, Emotiva and Crown. To all of you happy Tekton owners I say; " Isn't life great" and to the cut and paste " audio legends in their own minds" I say; "get a life". I'm evisthebeagle, and you're not.
Cool, but did you get your grilles yet?

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #1848 of 1860 Old 12-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Member
 
ptalar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Cool, but did you get your grilles yet?
I ordered my Pendragons on 11/28, with grills, and they arrived, with grills on 12/2. No issue.
ptalar is offline  
post #1849 of 1860 Old Yesterday, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,656
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalar View Post
I ordered my Pendragons on 11/28, with grills, and they arrived, with grills on 12/2. No issue.

It's nice to know that issue is now a thing of the past.
jbrown15 is offline  
post #1850 of 1860 Old Yesterday, 03:22 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bellingham
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Cool, but did you get your grilles yet?
NO, I have the holes for the grills ,but no grills. Along with the problem of Eric and "knowing how to calculate shop time for building products" he also hates building grills. I look at it this way. For the money I have spent on my system and the enjoyment they have given me, a couple of "trade offs" are fine by me. I have now seen Bill's U-Tube videos and see that you are well solidly versed in your technical back round. People that have the "gift" building cabinets and are willing to design "good or even bad" Loudspeakers have my respect. I have none of those talents. As for the people that use Sound and Vision and other advertiser driven "rags" for a true and accurate detail of what ever they are reviewing, I feel they are influenced by the advertisers that keep them in business. I will say this without all the "concrete proof" that some insist on, but all the $3000.00 and down AVRs ( not separates) by Pioneer Elite ( who now is owned by Onkyo) Denon and even Marantz are all cheaply built in China with misleading power ratings and most of all packaged for the "people like me, ignorant and or learning the ropes. I have waste thousands of dollars on $2000 to $3000 AVRs that have not lasted more than 2 years. My Emotiva is the new second generation. The XPA-5 did not make a small improvement, it made my Loudspeakers jump to a whole new level. Massive improvement for $888.00 inc tax and shipping. The Marantz av7701 is a "bandaid". I have been told by many installers that this was a unit plagued with design problems. It is a referb and seems to be working well. 2015 -2016 when they get the 4K copy protection hardware - software sorted out I will get the AV 7703 or what ever it is called at that time. Yes, I rant about Tekton and the Pendrgons. I visit every high end Audio Video store that I can get to. They have loudspeakers for over $25000.00 that do not sound to me as good as my $2500.00 Pendragons. They are hooked up to 1000 watt mono blocks and have speaker cables the size of a garden hose. Mine "to me " sound deeper, fuller range, better highs and more detail. I walk away happy. I have friends with Martin Logans. I think the "Ethos" line and they give me "listening fatigue" They could be all set up wrong. They all are in the "All In one" AVR's I have been talking about. 4 ohm speakers I hear are hard to "push" with quality sound. So, in the end, all I know is Tekton make a very high quality Loudspeaker. In my limited and biased opinion "the best speaker anywhere for the money". AND YES "MAN" IT IS ONE BLOCK WITH NO PARAGRAPHS. This again is from and E-mail asking me to "contribute". Otherwise, I would just mind my own business.
michaelthemutt is offline  
post #1851 of 1860 Old Yesterday, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,656
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Tekton Pendragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthemutt View Post
NO, I have the holes for the grills ,but no grills. Along with the problem of Eric and "knowing how to calculate shop time for building products" he also hates building grills. I look at it this way. For the money I have spent on my system and the enjoyment they have given me, a couple of "trade offs" are fine by me. I have now seen Bill's U-Tube videos and see that you are well solidly versed in your technical back round. People that have the "gift" building cabinets and are willing to design "good or even bad" Loudspeakers have my respect. I have none of those talents. As for the people that use Sound and Vision and other advertiser driven "rags" for a true and accurate detail of what ever they are reviewing, I feel they are influenced by the advertisers that keep them in business. I will say this without all the "concrete proof" that some insist on, but all the $3000.00 and down AVRs ( not separates) by Pioneer Elite ( who now is owned by Onkyo) Denon and even Marantz are all cheaply built in China with misleading power ratings and most of all packaged for the "people like me, ignorant and or learning the ropes. I have waste thousands of dollars on $2000 to $3000 AVRs that have not lasted more than 2 years. My Emotiva is the new second generation. The XPA-5 did not make a small improvement, it made my Loudspeakers jump to a whole new level. Massive improvement for $888.00 inc tax and shipping. The Marantz av7701 is a "bandaid". I have been told by many installers that this was a unit plagued with design problems. It is a referb and seems to be working well. 2015 -2016 when they get the 4K copy protection hardware - software sorted out I will get the AV 7703 or what ever it is called at that time. Yes, I rant about Tekton and the Pendrgons. I visit every high end Audio Video store that I can get to. They have loudspeakers for over $25000.00 that do not sound to me as good as my $2500.00 Pendragons. They are hooked up to 1000 watt mono blocks and have speaker cables the size of a garden hose. Mine "to me " sound deeper, fuller range, better highs and more detail. I walk away happy. I have friends with Martin Logans. I think the "Ethos" line and they give me "listening fatigue" They could be all set up wrong. They all are in the "All In one" AVR's I have been talking about. 4 ohm speakers I hear are hard to "push" with quality sound. So, in the end, all I know is Tekton make a very high quality Loudspeaker. In my limited and biased opinion "the best speaker anywhere for the money". AND YES "MAN" IT IS ONE BLOCK WITH NO PARAGRAPHS. This again is from and E-mail asking me to "contribute". Otherwise, I would just mind my own business.

I know you're excited about your speakers and that's awesome, but sorry you're starting to go off on a rant about this and that I don't think you fully comprehend what you're even talking about. I recently just switched from a rather nice powered amp, frankly a lot better amp then your Emotiva. A Sherbourn PA 7-350 and now I'm using just an Anthem MRX-710 and switching from a massive powered amp to the AVR powered amp didn't make the speakers sound any worse then they did with the PA 7-350. If any thing the Anthem made them sound better. Again you clearly don't know what you're talking about, the Denon AVR-4520 that I referenced in my post is made in Japan, not China but it is funny to note that your Emotiva amp and Marantz AV7701 are both made in China so I'm not sure where you're going with your posts. Also the bench tests in the magazine isn't some fabricated made up numbers on the AVR's, that's the whole point of the bench test. To see what the AVR's really put out as far as power goes, otherwise they'd simply just take the manufactures word for it and not even bother doing the bench test. Like you said you're "learning" the ropes so I'm not giving you a hard time, I'm just trying to understand the point of your posts. Maybe just keep things on topic like what type of details you like about your speakers, what they do really well at or what could be better is there is anything.


But I think if you re-read your posts you'd be scratching you head too trying to figure out what to make of your posts.
shadyJ likes this.

Last edited by jbrown15; Yesterday at 10:30 AM.
jbrown15 is offline  
post #1852 of 1860 Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthemutt View Post
The XPA-5 did not make a small improvement, it made my Loudspeakers jump to a whole new level. Massive improvement for $888.00 inc tax and shipping.
Did your old amp reach distortion? I thought the Pendragon is 98dB sensitive and doesn't take much power to run them to reference?
Skylinestar is online now  
post #1853 of 1860 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
aydu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I know you're excited about your speakers and that's awesome, but sorry you're starting to go off on a rant about this and that I don't think you fully comprehend what you're even talking about. I recently just switched from a rather nice powered amp, frankly a lot better amp then your Emotiva. A Sherbourn PA 7-350 and now I'm using just an Anthem MRX-710 and switching from a massive powered amp to the AVR powered amp didn't make the speakers sound any worse then they did with the PA 7-350. If any thing the Anthem made them sound better. Again you clearly don't know what you're talking about, the Denon AVR-4520 that I referenced in my post is made in Japan, not China but it is funny to note that your Emotiva amp and Marantz AV7701 are both made in China so I'm not sure where you're going with your posts. Also the bench tests in the magazine isn't so fabricated made up numbers on the AVR's, that's the whole point of the bench test. To see what the AVR's really put out as far as power goes, otherwise they'd simply just take the manufactures would for it and not even bother doing the bench test. Like you said you're "learning" the ropes so I'm not giving you a hard time, I'm just trying to understand the point of your posts. Maybe just keep things on topic like what type of details you like about your speakers, what they do really well at or what could be better is there is anything.


But I think if you re-read your posts you'd be scratching you head too trying to figure out what to make of your posts.
So, his "upgrading" his amp is not supposed to make any sq improvement, but your "downgrading" of the amp did?

Somebody is confused. It might be me, but it might not.
aydu is online now  
post #1854 of 1860 Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,666
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post
So, his "upgrading" his amp is not supposed to make any sq improvement, but your "downgrading" of the amp did?

Somebody is confused. It might be me, but it might not.
His improvement was due to room correction of anthem over previous avr.
CruelInventions likes this.
chalugadp is offline  
post #1855 of 1860 Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 202
jbrown15, you have the patience of a saint.


CruelInventions is online now  
post #1856 of 1860 Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM
Member
 
syd7890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
The problem is that you could never push the Pendragon's to the SPL levels that the 1099's can hit, the tweeters would go up in smoke before you got close to the output SPL levels the 1099 can hit.
Yep, I have both the 1099 and pendragon and the main difference (well 2 actually) is that the Pendragon where designed as a full range speaker and the 1099 where designed to be crossed at 80 Hz. With that being said I designed the 1099 from the original drawings that were provided which had a slightly smaller (depth wise) enclosure.
I see that since then the guys added another 2" to the depth which would bring the drop off point to about 55-60 Hz.
The big difference is the Pendragons bass and the 1099's ability to play at ear bleeding levels without flinching. Now if we could marry the 2 and have the depth of the Pens and the mid to upper performance of the 1099, now that would be something.
Which of the two would you say is better for music?

I'm looking for something that has a nice rich dynamic sound without being too bright.

Is one of these speakers more forgiving with recordings that are less than stellar?

Which of the two has a bigger soundstage (on and off-axis)?
syd7890 is offline  
post #1857 of 1860 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bellingham
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
For Mr. Rant

Sherbourn PA 7-350 is a discontinued Amp made by its parent company Emotiva. It sold for I believe around $2500.00. I do not know all the specs but I heard that it is a Top of the line AMP in its day or even today. As in what I was saying about declining quality control and cost cutting by most manufactures. My Amp. brand new was $888.00. So if you want to compare the two to feel like "King of the hill" be my guest. My goal is NEVER to say what I have is better than anything that someone else has. I do it just share some of the many and costly mistakes I have made buying audio and video equipment. Yes, "made in Japan" is more likely to be better made than "MIC". But in case you you don't know everything, Emotiva shut down the Sherbourn division about a year ago. I am guessing like almost everyone else "Made in Japan" labor costs are much higher than Made in China. I bought my Loudspeakers partially because of a review by Andrew Robinson. Andrew also worked for Sherbourn - Emotiva. I asked him to recommend some 5 Channel Amplifiers for the Pendragons. 1. He said that the Crown XLS 1000 to XLS 2500. He said that they "hum" a little in stand by, but they are top notch class D Amps. I live in a tiny studio flat and have no where to put a tall rack system with out a bunch of remodeling. # 2 was split between Outlaw and Emotiva. Emotiva makes 1000 watt mono blocks $1500.00 , 5 channel 400 watt, 100lb beast that would give anybody a run for their money for $2100.00. My $888.00 Emotive XPA-5 Amp made a huge improvement in my loudspeakers performance. So, not being a billionaire I am very happy with being able to find some great equipment that many people might be able to afford. I am not an engineer. I do love HI-FI and HT. I share information that is within my expertise. I thought that the point of this form was to share information to help each other to make "informed" choices. Not bragging or pretending to be the next "god of audio". For those who are engineers or have extensive training in Audio, they are the ones to post the "graphs, stats, details" to help people like me to learn about my hobby. YES, and again it is all one long paragraph. If you don't want me back than don't reply to my posts. I am happy just to play with my toys all day. I am not a "special member" or anybodies audio guru. I do know this. You can have all the specs, graphs, 5x7 glossy pictures you want and much of that goes out the window when it come time to "hearing it in your home". Room acoustics, Speaker positions, electrical grounding and someone's home decorator can negate all of that. I admire the people that can get top notch performance without going into bankruptcy. Those are my "Audio Gurus".
Gooddoc likes this.
michaelthemutt is offline  
post #1858 of 1860 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,656
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Tekton Pendragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthemutt View Post
Sherbourn PA 7-350 is a discontinued Amp made by its parent company Emotiva. It sold for I believe around $2500.00. I do not know all the specs but I heard that it is a Top of the line AMP in its day or even today. As in what I was saying about declining quality control and cost cutting by most manufactures. My Amp. brand new was $888.00. So if you want to compare the two to feel like "King of the hill" be my guest. My goal is NEVER to say what I have is better than anything that someone else has. I do it just share some of the many and costly mistakes I have made buying audio and video equipment. Yes, "made in Japan" is more likely to be better made than "MIC". But in case you you don't know everything, Emotiva shut down the Sherbourn division about a year ago. I am guessing like almost everyone else "Made in Japan" labor costs are much higher than Made in China. I bought my Loudspeakers partially because of a review by Andrew Robinson. Andrew also worked for Sherbourn - Emotiva. I asked him to recommend some 5 Channel Amplifiers for the Pendragons. 1. He said that the Crown XLS 1000 to XLS 2500. He said that they "hum" a little in stand by, but they are top notch class D Amps. I live in a tiny studio flat and have no where to put a tall rack system with out a bunch of remodeling. # 2 was split between Outlaw and Emotiva. Emotiva makes 1000 watt mono blocks $1500.00 , 5 channel 400 watt, 100lb beast that would give anybody a run for their money for $2100.00. My $888.00 Emotive XPA-5 Amp made a huge improvement in my loudspeakers performance. So, not being a billionaire I am very happy with being able to find some great equipment that many people might be able to afford. I am not an engineer. I do love HI-FI and HT. I share information that is within my expertise. I thought that the point of this form was to share information to help each other to make "informed" choices. Not bragging or pretending to be the next "god of audio". For those who are engineers or have extensive training in Audio, they are the ones to post the "graphs, stats, details" to help people like me to learn about my hobby. YES, and again it is all one long paragraph. If you don't want me back than don't reply to my posts. I am happy just to play with my toys all day. I am not a "special member" or anybodies audio guru. I do know this. You can have all the specs, graphs, 5x7 glossy pictures you want and much of that goes out the window when it come time to "hearing it in your home". Room acoustics, Speaker positions, electrical grounding and someone's home decorator can negate all of that. I admire the people that can get top notch performance without going into bankruptcy. Those are my "Audio Gurus".


I think you're taking my posts the wrong way, I am certainly not trying to pound on my chest and say I have better gear then you. I don't think I've ever said that to anyone and I hope I never would. The whole point of my posts was trying to understand what point you were trying to make and that some of your comments come off as a little misinformed. That's awesome that you're posting to help others not make the same mistakes as you but again that's why I think it's a little important that you make your posts easier to read, I think people would take you a little more serious if you did.


I'm well aware of the whole Sherbourn/Emotiva back story and why the PA 7-350 is no longer available to buy new. Emotiva does make really nice stuff, which generation XPA-5 do you have? Personally I would have gone with a Outlaw amp, but only because they are made by ATI which I think makes really great amps. I don't think I ever said anything about trying to be "King of the hill" so I'm not sure where you're going with that. I have decent equipment but I certainly don't think high of myself because of that and there is a lot of guys with much nicer stuff then what I have.


I didn't ask for pictures of your room because I was trying to prove some kind of point, I genuinely wanted to see pictures of your room because I think it's cool to see other peoples setups and gear. If you took that to mean something else I can't control how you interpret what I type. I still think buying a $100 mic and downloading REW could be the best investment anyone could make though to fully understand what's going on in your room. Your speakers could sound totally different if for example you heard them in my room compared to yours. The room plays a big part in how things sound so it certainly can't hurt to see what's going on.

Last edited by jbrown15; Yesterday at 07:16 PM.
jbrown15 is offline  
post #1859 of 1860 Old Today, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Again, the tolerance of a saint.


CruelInventions is online now  
post #1860 of 1860 Old Today, 06:44 AM
Member
 
sjavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthemutt View Post
I bought my Loudspeakers partially because of a review by Andrew Robinson. Andrew also worked for Sherbourn - Emotiva. I asked him to recommend some 5 Channel Amplifiers for the Pendragons. 1. He said that the Crown XLS 1000 to XLS 2500. He said that they "hum" a little in stand by, but they are top notch class D Amps.
Glad, one "audiophile" agrees with me

When I was picking my pre-amp+preamp combo, I asked around a lot (on and off the forum about using commercial amps for HT) - didn't get too many people who had experience or sounded enthusiastic about it. I think one lone member supported the idea. Anyhow, I did my research and performed my own testing with some simple instruments and ended up buying two Crown XLS 1500 amps - now, I have an AVR with pre-amps out that directly powers the surrounds and side-surrounds. The centers (I have two) and L/R are powered by the Crown amps - a dedicated amp for center and another for L/R.

As for hum, I don't hear any and being a Ham Radio operator, I am super sensitive to hum (and hum hunting). Initially, I got bad hum because of a ground loop issue that was easily resolved by plugging in all the AVR equipment to the same circuit.
sjavs is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off