post #1951 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekam9280 View Post
After some back and forth with Eric he is refunding my money and told me to keep the speakers. I'll have to replace my melted tweeters, and after that I'm not sure what I'll do.

I suppose I was wrong in thinking he doesn't stand behind his work.
i'd bet my left nut this was the result of what has been stirring in this thread for the last couple of days. if you were the average joe with just phone/e-mail communication no way in hell....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
After some back and forth with Eric he is refunding my money and told me to keep the speakers. I'll have to replace my melted tweeters, and after that I'm not sure what I'll do.

You'll need to examine the crossovers to look for damage. Take pics before you do any removal. His website says their power handling capabilities are 400 watts.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #1953 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

So he could have just replaced 3 melted tweeters but instead decided to refund the purchase price and let you keep the speakers. WTF? Sounds like a set-up.
If you do receive a refund you better hope the cops don't show up at your house saying they are investigating a report about some stolen speakers.
Good Luck

Chris

FS: 3 x 2012 JTR Triple 12 Excellent condition
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iple-12-a.html
post #1954 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

I've never heard of this before....and don't quite understand but (hey) hopefully it all works out well for you.

Before I purchased my JTR speakers, I had considered the Pendragon's. I was close and had my mind made up these were the ones for me but boy am I glad I continued to investigate other brands and purchased what I did. Sometimes things work out the right way and (for me) this did.

Nabs17
post #1955 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
So he could have just replaced 3 melted tweeters but instead decided to refund the purchase price and let you keep the speakers. WTF? Sounds like a set-up.
If you do receive a refund you better hope the cops don't show up at your house saying they are investigating a report about some stolen speakers.
Good Luck
I'm guessing it was a temper tantrum/hissy fit type of thing after getting called out on this thread for trying to screw the guy.
countryWV likes this.
post #1956 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I'm guessing it was a temper tantrum/hissy fit type of thing after getting called out on this thread for trying to screw the guy.
Well, let's see if his payment is refunded, less s/h. It's really a pity because that was a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate accountability, contrition, and customer service.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #1957 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
No internal dampening either.
Well, not entirely true. I've pulled my drivers out and looked around inside some time ago, there is damping material near the walls of the cabinet. I'l post some pics next time I do it again.

post #1958 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67 View Post
Well, not entirely true. I've pulled my drivers out and looked around inside some time ago, there is damping material near the walls of the cabinet. I'l post some pics next time I do it again.
That was yours not mine
post #1959 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
That was yours not mine
chalugadp, are you saying that when you looked around in your pens they had no dampening?

post #1960 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67 View Post
chalugadp, are you saying that when you looked around in your pens they had no dampening?
I didn't have pens. I had oriel 10's. Maybe it was just mine.
post #1961 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
There is dampening; stick a mirror in the ports and you will see it. The dampening material surrounds the drivers front and back. If you just look straight through the ports with the naked eye you will not see it.
post #1962 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Maybe. Did you contact Tekton? My opinion based on some stuff I've seen over time is when things like this happen, it can be a case of incompetent, untrained employees, someone who doesn't have a clue, or even a harbinger of cash problems. As to the last scenario, look at what happened to AV451 and Elemental Designs towards the end. The LS-6's were getting cheaped out. Missing parts, no dampening material and when they did put some in, it wasn't the good stuff but some roofing contact material from a home improvement store. In the case of ED, outright mistakes were sent to customers, missing speakers or subs that were paid for, and excuse after excuse - we're waiting for capacitors or packing material (sure pay them and they'll send it to you).

As to the other scenarios, here's a story. Years ago, I belonged to another forum that is since defunct. Run by a Mike Knapp, a very nice fellow. One day, one of the owners of this speaker company, Cain and Cain, comes to talk about his product. They hailed from the NW and were said to be master carpenters - craftsman - with a passion for audio. Oh, oh! Their thing was single driver, Fostex I think, speakers either vented or some kind of a horn configuration. Single driver speakers, and I don't mean coax, have a cult following among owners and especially DIYers. What's simpler than making.a cookie cutter box and sticking a driver in it?

Anyways he talks about the soul, the organic nature of music, and stuff that's supposed to resonate with your emotions. He said speakers are like musical instruments. Oh oh. So their boxes weren't especially braced or stuffed and he said depending on the wood they used would affect their character. So the boxes vibrated. Jesus! They too got good reviews (google the name), stellar in fact from the press that really functions as extensions of their marketing and everyone thinks they're such a discerning bunch with the customer's best interests at heart. Look, a single driver is better than a TV speaker but it still sucks especially when you're paying thousands to someone who doesn't have a clue.

Last edited by Chu Gai; Yesterday at 09:42 PM.
post #1963 of 1966 Unread Yesterday, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I sold them a year ago. I liked them but I like it loud and I didn't want to worry about blowing a tweeter.
post #1964 of 1966 Unread Today, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brouham View Post
The dampening material surrounds the drivers front and back. If you just look straight through the ports with the naked eye you will not see it.
You should. A properly damped cab will be fully lined.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #1965 of 1966 Unread Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How did the professional reviewers miss this?

post #1966 of 1966 Unread Today, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Better QA for the "demo" speakers

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page