Tekton Pendragon - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 105Likes
post #2101 of 2125 Old 03-27-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Is there such a thing called the comma & caps virus?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2125 Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What ever

What tekton,s do you own
post #2103 of 2125 Old 04-10-2015, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I received my grills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1005.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	659361  

post #2104 of 2125 Old 04-23-2015, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
On order...

I ordered a pair of Pendragon 'speakers this Monday and I'm looking forward to them. I did the grey metallic paint, Mundorf caps, Cardas posts, and no grilles.

This will be the third pair of speakers I've purchased from Eric (81en and Lore-S being the others). Once they arrive and I have them set up, I'll look forward to posting a user review of the speakers and my experience.

I'm making this post (and my future review) with trepidation as I've sworn off audio forums for a while now. I used to be very active on head-fi. I've now read this entire thread...and I wish I could have some of that time back. It seems several members here expressed legitimate concern over "newbies" posting rave reviews and then disappearing. Feel free to check my post count and feedback at head-fi and my feedback on Audiogon (all under indydieselnut).

The intention of these posts is simply to add my perspective to this mix. My assumption is that anyone who happens upon this thread legitimately desiring solid information about the Pendragon speakers and Tekton as a company will be quickly dissuaded from both purchasing the speakers and ever speaking about their decision here. Both are unfortunate.

I've been involved in hi-fi as an enthusiast for the past twenty years. While I had some wonderful interactions and learned a great deal from my time on the forums, the signal-to-noise ratio deteriorated enough for me that I gave up...perhaps to my own detriment.

When the Pendragon 'speakers arrive, they will be driven by a Bryston 4B-SST2 amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Yamaha CD-2100, Linn LP12, and Bottlehead Eros (heavily modified). Given my past experience with Eric's products, my expectations are very high.

I'm not sure what the post count requirement is to post pictures, but I will certainly do so if I am able. My new listening space should be a good match for these speakers as there is plenty of room to breath.

My thanks to those who have read this far. I hope my future comments can be of real value in this discussion of the Pendragon 'speakers.

"The problem with the world is me" - G.K. Chesterton
post #2105 of 2125 Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydieselnut View Post
I ordered a pair of Pendragon 'speakers this Monday and I'm looking forward to them. I did the grey metallic paint, Mundorf caps, Cardas posts, and no grilles.

This will be the third pair of speakers I've purchased from Eric (81en and Lore-S being the others). Once they arrive and I have them set up, I'll look forward to posting a user review of the speakers and my experience.

I'm making this post (and my future review) with trepidation as I've sworn off audio forums for a while now. I used to be very active on head-fi. I've now read this entire thread...and I wish I could have some of that time back. It seems several members here expressed legitimate concern over "newbies" posting rave reviews and then disappearing. Feel free to check my post count and feedback at head-fi and my feedback on Audiogon (all under indydieselnut).

The intention of these posts is simply to add my perspective to this mix. My assumption is that anyone who happens upon this thread legitimately desiring solid information about the Pendragon speakers and Tekton as a company will be quickly dissuaded from both purchasing the speakers and ever speaking about their decision here. Both are unfortunate.

I've been involved in hi-fi as an enthusiast for the past twenty years. While I had some wonderful interactions and learned a great deal from my time on the forums, the signal-to-noise ratio deteriorated enough for me that I gave up...perhaps to my own detriment.

When the Pendragon 'speakers arrive, they will be driven by a Bryston 4B-SST2 amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Yamaha CD-2100, Linn LP12, and Bottlehead Eros (heavily modified). Given my past experience with Eric's products, my expectations are very high.

I'm not sure what the post count requirement is to post pictures, but I will certainly do so if I am able. My new listening space should be a good match for these speakers as there is plenty of room to breath.

My thanks to those who have read this far. I hope my future comments can be of real value in this discussion of the Pendragon 'speakers.
That bryston amp is sweet. Any review on any speaker with a person with less then 5 posts is suspicious. Especially when they only post once in a thread. When it arrives take some pics and post them. It takes 20 minutes to post in other threads a dozen times.(for you to be able to post pics)

Then post impressions of the speaker initially. Then after a week or so post some detailed impressions referencing specific songs. If people ask questions or comment on your posts answer them. That would be a good review and respected.
jbrown15, smurraybhm and zpatter1 like this.
post #2106 of 2125 Old 04-23-2015, 11:08 AM

I'll do my best...

...to follow your recommendations. Cheers.

post #2107 of 2125 Old 04-24-2015, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Indy

I'm one of the first few owners of the Pens along with a Pen center and m-Lore surrounds. This was long before the Enzo or Seas. I am quite happy with the set up but am wondering about the decision you made to go with Pens and not the Enzo XL or SEAS with a sub. Just wondering what technical considerations crossed your mind
scottvamp likes this.
post #2108 of 2125 Old 04-24-2015, 06:39 AM

I have the space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpack View Post
I'm one of the first few owners of the Pens along with a Pen center and m-Lore surrounds. This was long before the Enzo or Seas. I am quite happy with the set up but am wondering about the decision you made to go with Pens and not the Enzo XL or SEAS with a sub. Just wondering what technical considerations crossed your mind
Your setup sounds amazing! I've had my eye on the Pens since the very beginning but never had the space. I recently moved, and my new "listening room" is actually a large, walled off section of our basement. It is about 40' long and starts out at 17' and opens up to 21' wide for most of its length.

As far as technical considerations, I really wanted to try and get back to a "fun" speaker. I've had some serious audio burn-out in the recent past. I churned through Tekton 81en, Lore-S, Harbeth C7, Harbeth P3, Blumenstein Orca, Aperion Verus Grand (as part of a theater), Salk HT2-TL, and Salk SILK. This is over the past 8 years. Part of the churning came from indecision in my family about moving. We would commit to moving, I'd sell gear, we wouldn't move, I'd buy gear, we'd commit to moving, etc. Now that we're moved and the rest of my system is "set", I just wanted to get a speaker that would put a smile on my face when I listened to music. I've never had much success integrating a sub into my music-only system, so something mostly full-range was needed. I have plenty of space and no WAF considerations in my basement, so a pair of giant monkey-coffins will work just fine :-)

The final consideration is one that might be slightly voodoo; I just wanted to go back to a paper-cone driver. I realize the Enzo has the same driver, but I really wanted that little bit of extra extension from the Pen.

Perhaps a longer answer than you wanted?

post #2109 of 2125 Old 04-24-2015, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You'll be VERY happy with the purchase. I have a 20x20 living room with an open floor plan so really 20x50. I like the Pens toed in for an equal lateral triangle listening position. I also found that an aura lex subdude from Sweetwater works really well on a hard floor. I just posted a picture on the Tekton Website, check it out!
post #2110 of 2125 Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Curious if the Pens have arrived and are setup in your room. They just might be next on my audition list.
post #2111 of 2125 Old 04-28-2015, 06:46 PM

On their way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev View Post
Curious if the Pens have arrived and are setup in your room. They just might be next on my audition list.
I received shipping notification today; probably puts them delivered next Monday.

It's worth noting they were shipped six working days after I placed my order - impressive turnaround!

I also ordered some outriggers for them; might play around with them. Looking forward to hearing these giants!!

post #2112 of 2125 Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpack View Post
You'll be VERY happy with the purchase. I have a 20x20 living room with an open floor plan so really 20x50. I like the Pens toed in for an equal lateral triangle listening position. I also found that an aura lex subdude from Sweetwater works really well on a hard floor. I just posted a picture on the Tekton Website, check it out!
Bpack; thanks for the encouragement! Your setup sounds amazing...I'll go check out the picture.

post #2113 of 2125 Old 04-28-2015, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I received shipping notification today; probably puts them delivered next Monday.

It's worth noting they were shipped six working days after I placed my order - impressive turnaround!

I also ordered some outriggers for them; might play around with them. Looking forward to hearing these giants!!

Curious as to which outriggers did you order? Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
post #2114 of 2125 Old 05-01-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev View Post
Curious as to which outriggers did you order? Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
The outriggers I ordered were from "Soundocity"...I didn't look too hard for options as those seemed to do the trick. My experience with inserts in MDF is that they are not very robust. Any shearing force or repeated tightening and loosening tends to work the insert right out of the cabinet. Although the larger footprint with the outriggers will be nice, my primary purpose was to use the outriggers to "set it and forget it" in terms of the inserts in the cabinet.

As a bonus, the threads at the ends of the outriggers are 1/4-20, and I have a set of the uber-fancy Track Audio spikes with that thread that I used to dress up a platform I don't have any more. It will but fun to put those to good use!

post #2115 of 2125 Old 05-02-2015, 06:49 AM

They're here!

The Pendragons arrived yesterday via FedEx and the unboxing went smoothly yesterday evening. I had this same paint job on my Lore-S speakers so I knew what to expect...but I wasn't prepared for how BIG these are! Everyone says that about the Pendragons, but they are truly large speakers. I was able to handle everything by myself, but it would be nice to have two people.

I hooked them up to the rest of the chain:

Linn Sondek LP12
Modified Bottlehead Eros phono pre
Yamaha CD-2100
Benchmark DAC2 HGC
Bryston 4BSST2
Furman 15pfi

I ran channel identification and started listening. If memory serves, here was my short listening session:

Sarah Jarosz "Come on up to the House"
Time For Three "Sundays"
Haydn C-major cello concerto (Bylsma, Tafelmusik)
Daft Punk "Doin' It Right"
Bon Iver "Woods"
Mumford & Sons cover of "The Boxer"

Initial impressions are positive. "The Boxer" really highlighted both the imaging capabilities and the dynamic immediacy of the high-sensitivity design.

That's it for now...I'll report back once I have more time with them. The outriggers will show up next week so I'll have a chance to see if they make any improvement apart from physical stability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3345.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	696618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3350.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	696626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3339.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	696634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3337.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	696642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3341.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	696650  

Stuart R, amt257 and audiosavant like this.

post #2116 of 2125 Old 05-13-2015, 01:47 PM

Liked: 11
Ordered my Pendragons about three weeks ago. Eric shipped same day with grills. Great guy to deal with. They arrived a few days later by FEDEX. They sound great. Not happy with my Emotiva original XPA-5(Gen1) with UMC-200 processor. Connected my older UMC-1 processor.Then installed a Crown XLS1500. The Crown seems to be a big improvement. The bass veil that I thought was due to my room is apparently an amplifier phenomenon. I've owned and built many amplifiers and preamplifiers. My backup last resort Pioneer VSX-822 has a more open and dynamic preamp. I've ordered a refurb Marantz NR1403 for a preamp which should arrive in a couple of days. Since I'm back to stereo only, it should be ok. Will post more when I get it set up.

Add 5/5/2015: Received the Marantz NR1403. As preamp to the Crown XLS1500 - human voice, violins, and musical instruments in general, are more well defined and more natural. Opera chorus is really good, even via satellite receiver. As preamp to the Emotiva XPA-5, generally a bit better. But still not as well controlled/crisp as with the Crown. Decided not to get the XPA-5Gen2.

Returned the Marantz the next day (only has left and right pre-outs) to order the Marantz SR6008, which has 7.1 pre-outs,switching signal out, and many other control features. The NR1403 was $230 refurb. The SR6008 $500 refurb (a $1200 unit new) and 40 bucks for a 3-year warranty. From Accessories4Less - a no-brainer decision. Nice to order at 10AM and see it on the road with FEDEX by 7pm same day. Could have gotten several models of surround processors with similar deals. I should be receiving the new unit day after tomorrow.Would prefer to go straight stereo preamp, but I need the HDMI switching for all of my input sources.

The Pendragons sound really good but I think they'll be still better with the new electronics. My room is 18x25 ft.,8ft. ceiling. Listening 11 ft. from speakers. The speakers are about 14-18 inches from the wall and their orientation is sensitive in my listening room. Finally have them both facing in the same direction about 10-20 degrees off straight out.

Add 5/12/2015: Now that I've done some more listening, I have some info to pass along. The large Pendragons are, indeed, as advertised. They sound simply great ... on all types of music and movies. I've used the following equipment setups with them:

1. Emotiva XPA-5 with: Emotiva UMC-1 and with, UMC-200 - clean sound, not as good with micro-dynamics or with instrumental or vocal character as might bewished for. Bass not as tight as one would wish. With Marantz 1403 -more musical but still loose bass - same with Marantz SR6008 as pre-amp.

2. Crown XLS1500 with: Emotiva processor/preamps above -same results as above except greatly improved bass and transient performance. With Marantz 1403 -same as above but, again, with greatly improved bass and transient response. With Marantz SR6008 as preamp - really clean and clear - great definition and instrumental character.

3. The Marantz SR6800 is very good as a preamp or as an AVR. But I much prefer the Crown XLS1500 power amp.

Speakers tested at home: Large Pendragons, LSA-2, HSU VTF-15 sub-satellite, JBL 800 series, BIC EV-15, Triangle Plaisir.
indydieselnut likes this.

Last edited by Stuart R; 05-20-2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: correct error
post #2117 of 2125 Old 05-20-2015, 01:34 PM

Update

...just a quick update. I have only been in my new space for a few months and it is proving to be an especially challenging acoustic. However, the Pendragons are proving to be fantastic speakers in the areas of frequency extension, musicality, and simply being "alive". I have never owned a full-range speaker that was this sensitive, and I'm amazing by what a difference it makes in microdynamic swings - just the small mezzo-forte to forte transitions that help differentiate live from reproduced music.

For me, the biggest challenge will be the room. I am working on speaker placement right now. In my "previous life", I was a devoted headphone guy. If I can't tame the room a little bit, I might be going back!

Despite the room, I can endorse the Pendragons as living up to their reputation.

post #2118 of 2125 Unread 08-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Pens

Just ordered some pendragons w/ clarity caps and custom audi nardo grey paint. I currently have a vinnie rossie LIO integrated and a very underrated pioneer plx 1000 direct drive table. The speakers that the pens should be replacing are Zu Audio Soul MKII's.

I live in Southern Utah and Erik was kind enough to offer to drop of the speakers on his way to vegas next week.

Stay Tuned
post #2119 of 2125 Unread 08-20-2015, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trev4h View Post
Just ordered some pendragons w/ clarity caps and custom audi nardo grey paint. I currently have a vinnie rossie LIO integrated and a very underrated pioneer plx 1000 direct drive table. The speakers that the pens should be replacing are Zu Audio Soul MKII's.

I live in Southern Utah and Erik was kind enough to offer to drop of the speakers on his way to vegas next week.

Stay Tuned
Please let us know your impressions of the Pens compared to the ZU Soul IIs.

Kemper Holt
post #2120 of 2125 Unread 08-28-2015, 08:28 PM

Liked: 14
Question Thoughts before I pull the trigger? (And any news on a Lore Mini Monitor review?)

I'm about to pull the trigger on behalf of my dad to replace a current Athena setup.

What I had in mind was:

Front - Lore Reference
Center - Pendragon Center
Sides - Mini Lore
Rear - Mini Lore Monitors

Any word on the Lore Mini Monitor? I've heard of no reviews...

For the fronts I'm also considering the Lore V2.0 and the Lore. Between the Reference, V2.0 and Lore there are $100 between each of them. I was considering the V2.0 and Lore so that the 10" would match the 10" center.

My dad is getting this covered under an insurance claim for a break-in. Is this Tekton setup a wise choice and are my speaker choices in line with under $4K budget? For reference, I cannot go to a Enzo or above, so please don't recommend that path. I'm saving some budget for a sub...

Either way, this is a massive upgrade from what he had, but I chose to do the Mini Lore for the sides instead of replacing stands and bookshelf speakers.

It's all subjective I know, but would this be an alright setup? Don't worry about the subwoofer...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by FliGuyRyan; 08-28-2015 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Address the subwoofer
post #2121 of 2125 Unread 08-31-2015, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
New Lore-S Owner

Hi All,
My only affiliation with Tekton is I’m a new Lore-S owner. This is my first post and I will probably not be posting much in the future. I love great sound and once achieved, I tend to fall out the audiofiledom.

I am absolutely loving my new Lores. I have always tried to buy equipment that gives me real/live sound. The Lores achieve that for me. My previous speakers were very accurate, but they lacked the musicality, or live sound, that Eric’s creations give me. And no, I don’t care how much damping he uses, or bracing, or what the crossovers look like. I care about the sound and I am completely satisfied (until I get the upgrade bug again with my new speakers.

BTW – I received the speakers (and grills) within a week of ordering them. I had a number of questions for Eric and he responded to my emails within hours, so I believe the customer service issues have been handled and resolved. You may have seen my post on another forum. I just want to share my positive experience and satisfaction with my new speakers.
post #2122 of 2125 Unread 08-31-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 270
The legitimacy of speaker is inversely proportional to the number of brand spanking new posters who show up out-of-the-blue to post glowing reviews of said speakers.

post #2123 of 2125 Unread Today, 08:09 AM

Hello All...

.I read this portion of the forum because I am a proud seas pendragon owner with capacitors (mundorf?) that I bought in the fall of 2013. I am a novice audiofile (at best) and buy what i can afford at the time.

I mated the pendragons with a NAD 757, Oppo BDP103D; other speakers in the arsenal are several Klipsch R24F and a Klipsch center (again I bought what i could afford at the time)

I use 16 gauge speaker wire - I listen to SACD,s (sometimes) music through Dish network or thru a DAC, watch movies and regular tv. Musical tastes are U2, 10,000 maniacs, Fleetwood Mac and Dire Straits to name a few.

For my ears, these things by themselves sound incredible....and a bargain @ 2900 bux (at the time). I ordered mine as mentioned above in 2013 and did have to wait several months - but expected that and was in no hurry - I did not have to pay for them up front so I was not overly concerned with the wait.

If anyone is in the Chicago area, (near Schaumburg to be exact) I would gladly have you stop by for a trial listen with whatever music you care to bring.No pun intended, the speak for themselves!

Just last week I ordered 3 pairs of Lore 2.0 for my pole barn/shop set-up in michigan - a 40x 60 x 16 structure that will have several uses - the main one being boat storage and I like to listen to music when i am tinkering with the boats over the winter. I will also have a couple of TV's hooked up to a wireless Joey. My hope is to power the speakers with a Cambridge CXR200 or equivalent. With this particular choice, I am open to suggestions from you folks much more knowledgeable than me, as nothing is etched in stone as of yet. The budget for the rig would be 3k or less

I will gladly post pics if I am able

Thanks

Tom
post #2124 of 2125 Unread Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
@mcirish101 and @PTaudiofile

Do post pics.

And please sign up here if you are interested in demoing your speakers for other enthusiasts!
The "I'll demo my speakers for other enthusiasts" thread

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #2125 of 2125 Unread Today, 08:59 AM

Done and will do!!

Based on your suggestion, I posted my info the demo forum and when i get back in town I will post pics of my Home set-up . When i ordered the Lore 2.0's last Friday from Eric, he mentioned they could be ready to ship as early as today. Since my barn is not fully complete yet, I will have the Lore 2.0's shipped to illinois and I will hook them up to my NAD757 before I bring them up to Michigan

will take pics of those when I get them as well.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb