Tekton Pendragon - Page 71 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 100Likes
post #2101 of 2116 Old 03-27-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Is there such a thing called the comma & caps virus?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2116 Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What ever

What tekton,s do you own
post #2103 of 2116 Old 04-10-2015, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I received my grills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1005.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	659361  

post #2104 of 2116 Old 04-23-2015, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
On order...

I ordered a pair of Pendragon 'speakers this Monday and I'm looking forward to them. I did the grey metallic paint, Mundorf caps, Cardas posts, and no grilles.

This will be the third pair of speakers I've purchased from Eric (81en and Lore-S being the others). Once they arrive and I have them set up, I'll look forward to posting a user review of the speakers and my experience.

I'm making this post (and my future review) with trepidation as I've sworn off audio forums for a while now. I used to be very active on head-fi. I've now read this entire thread...and I wish I could have some of that time back. It seems several members here expressed legitimate concern over "newbies" posting rave reviews and then disappearing. Feel free to check my post count and feedback at head-fi and my feedback on Audiogon (all under indydieselnut).

The intention of these posts is simply to add my perspective to this mix. My assumption is that anyone who happens upon this thread legitimately desiring solid information about the Pendragon speakers and Tekton as a company will be quickly dissuaded from both purchasing the speakers and ever speaking about their decision here. Both are unfortunate.

I've been involved in hi-fi as an enthusiast for the past twenty years. While I had some wonderful interactions and learned a great deal from my time on the forums, the signal-to-noise ratio deteriorated enough for me that I gave up...perhaps to my own detriment.

When the Pendragon 'speakers arrive, they will be driven by a Bryston 4B-SST2 amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Yamaha CD-2100, Linn LP12, and Bottlehead Eros (heavily modified). Given my past experience with Eric's products, my expectations are very high.

I'm not sure what the post count requirement is to post pictures, but I will certainly do so if I am able. My new listening space should be a good match for these speakers as there is plenty of room to breath.

My thanks to those who have read this far. I hope my future comments can be of real value in this discussion of the Pendragon 'speakers.
jbrown15, luisev and countryWV like this.

"The problem with the world is me" - G.K. Chesterton
post #2105 of 2116 Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydieselnut View Post
I ordered a pair of Pendragon 'speakers this Monday and I'm looking forward to them. I did the grey metallic paint, Mundorf caps, Cardas posts, and no grilles.

This will be the third pair of speakers I've purchased from Eric (81en and Lore-S being the others). Once they arrive and I have them set up, I'll look forward to posting a user review of the speakers and my experience.

I'm making this post (and my future review) with trepidation as I've sworn off audio forums for a while now. I used to be very active on head-fi. I've now read this entire thread...and I wish I could have some of that time back. It seems several members here expressed legitimate concern over "newbies" posting rave reviews and then disappearing. Feel free to check my post count and feedback at head-fi and my feedback on Audiogon (all under indydieselnut).

The intention of these posts is simply to add my perspective to this mix. My assumption is that anyone who happens upon this thread legitimately desiring solid information about the Pendragon speakers and Tekton as a company will be quickly dissuaded from both purchasing the speakers and ever speaking about their decision here. Both are unfortunate.

I've been involved in hi-fi as an enthusiast for the past twenty years. While I had some wonderful interactions and learned a great deal from my time on the forums, the signal-to-noise ratio deteriorated enough for me that I gave up...perhaps to my own detriment.

When the Pendragon 'speakers arrive, they will be driven by a Bryston 4B-SST2 amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Yamaha CD-2100, Linn LP12, and Bottlehead Eros (heavily modified). Given my past experience with Eric's products, my expectations are very high.

I'm not sure what the post count requirement is to post pictures, but I will certainly do so if I am able. My new listening space should be a good match for these speakers as there is plenty of room to breath.

My thanks to those who have read this far. I hope my future comments can be of real value in this discussion of the Pendragon 'speakers.
That bryston amp is sweet. Any review on any speaker with a person with less then 5 posts is suspicious. Especially when they only post once in a thread. When it arrives take some pics and post them. It takes 20 minutes to post in other threads a dozen times.(for you to be able to post pics)

Then post impressions of the speaker initially. Then after a week or so post some detailed impressions referencing specific songs. If people ask questions or comment on your posts answer them. That would be a good review and respected.
jbrown15 and smurraybhm like this.
post #2106 of 2116 Old 04-23-2015, 11:08 AM

I'll do my best...

...to follow your recommendations. Cheers.

post #2107 of 2116 Old 04-24-2015, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Indy

I'm one of the first few owners of the Pens along with a Pen center and m-Lore surrounds. This was long before the Enzo or Seas. I am quite happy with the set up but am wondering about the decision you made to go with Pens and not the Enzo XL or SEAS with a sub. Just wondering what technical considerations crossed your mind
scottvamp likes this.
post #2108 of 2116 Old 04-24-2015, 06:39 AM

I have the space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpack View Post
I'm one of the first few owners of the Pens along with a Pen center and m-Lore surrounds. This was long before the Enzo or Seas. I am quite happy with the set up but am wondering about the decision you made to go with Pens and not the Enzo XL or SEAS with a sub. Just wondering what technical considerations crossed your mind
Your setup sounds amazing! I've had my eye on the Pens since the very beginning but never had the space. I recently moved, and my new "listening room" is actually a large, walled off section of our basement. It is about 40' long and starts out at 17' and opens up to 21' wide for most of its length.

As far as technical considerations, I really wanted to try and get back to a "fun" speaker. I've had some serious audio burn-out in the recent past. I churned through Tekton 81en, Lore-S, Harbeth C7, Harbeth P3, Blumenstein Orca, Aperion Verus Grand (as part of a theater), Salk HT2-TL, and Salk SILK. This is over the past 8 years. Part of the churning came from indecision in my family about moving. We would commit to moving, I'd sell gear, we wouldn't move, I'd buy gear, we'd commit to moving, etc. Now that we're moved and the rest of my system is "set", I just wanted to get a speaker that would put a smile on my face when I listened to music. I've never had much success integrating a sub into my music-only system, so something mostly full-range was needed. I have plenty of space and no WAF considerations in my basement, so a pair of giant monkey-coffins will work just fine :-)

The final consideration is one that might be slightly voodoo; I just wanted to go back to a paper-cone driver. I realize the Enzo has the same driver, but I really wanted that little bit of extra extension from the Pen.

Perhaps a longer answer than you wanted?

post #2109 of 2116 Old 04-24-2015, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You'll be VERY happy with the purchase. I have a 20x20 living room with an open floor plan so really 20x50. I like the Pens toed in for an equal lateral triangle listening position. I also found that an aura lex subdude from Sweetwater works really well on a hard floor. I just posted a picture on the Tekton Website, check it out!
post #2110 of 2116 Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Curious if the Pens have arrived and are setup in your room. They just might be next on my audition list.
post #2111 of 2116 Old 04-28-2015, 06:46 PM

On their way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev View Post
Curious if the Pens have arrived and are setup in your room. They just might be next on my audition list.
I received shipping notification today; probably puts them delivered next Monday.

It's worth noting they were shipped six working days after I placed my order - impressive turnaround!

I also ordered some outriggers for them; might play around with them. Looking forward to hearing these giants!!

post #2112 of 2116 Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpack View Post
You'll be VERY happy with the purchase. I have a 20x20 living room with an open floor plan so really 20x50. I like the Pens toed in for an equal lateral triangle listening position. I also found that an aura lex subdude from Sweetwater works really well on a hard floor. I just posted a picture on the Tekton Website, check it out!
Bpack; thanks for the encouragement! Your setup sounds amazing...I'll go check out the picture.

post #2113 of 2116 Old 04-28-2015, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I received shipping notification today; probably puts them delivered next Monday.

It's worth noting they were shipped six working days after I placed my order - impressive turnaround!

I also ordered some outriggers for them; might play around with them. Looking forward to hearing these giants!!

Curious as to which outriggers did you order? Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
post #2114 of 2116 Old 04-28-2015, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ordered my Pendragons about three weeks ago. Eric shipped same day with grills. Great guy to deal with. They arrived a few days later by FEDEX. They sound great. Not happy with my Emotiva original XPA-5 (Gen1) with UMC-200 processor. Connected my older UMC-1 processor. Then installed a Crown XLS1500. The Crown seems to be a big improvement. The bass veil that I thought was due to my room is apparently an amplifier phenomenon. I've owned and built many amplifiers and preamplifiers. My backup last resort Pioneer VSX-822 has a more open and dynamic preamp. I've ordered a refurb Marantz NR1403 for a preamp which should arrive in a couple of days. Since I'm back to stereo only, it should be ok. Will post more when I get it set up.
indydieselnut likes this.
post #2115 of 2116 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev View Post
Curious as to which outriggers did you order? Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
The outriggers I ordered were from "Soundocity"...I didn't look too hard for options as those seemed to do the trick. My experience with inserts in MDF is that they are not very robust. Any shearing force or repeated tightening and loosening tends to work the insert right out of the cabinet. Although the larger footprint with the outriggers will be nice, my primary purpose was to use the outriggers to "set it and forget it" in terms of the inserts in the cabinet.

As a bonus, the threads at the ends of the outriggers are 1/4-20, and I have a set of the uber-fancy Track Audio spikes with that thread that I used to dress up a platform I don't have any more. It will but fun to put those to good use!

post #2116 of 2116 Unread Today, 06:49 AM

They're here!

The Pendragons arrived yesterday via FedEx and the unboxing went smoothly yesterday evening. I had this same paint job on my Lore-S speakers so I knew what to expect...but I wasn't prepared for how BIG these are! Everyone says that about the Pendragons, but they are truly large speakers. I was able to handle everything by myself, but it would be nice to have two people.

I hooked them up to the rest of the chain:

Linn Sondek LP12
Modified Bottlehead Eros phono pre
Yamaha CD-2100
Benchmark DAC2 HGC
Bryston 4BSST2
Furman 15pfi

I ran channel identification and started listening. If memory serves, here was my short listening session:

Sarah Jarosz "Come on up to the House"
Time For Three "Sundays"
Haydn C-major cello concerto (Bylsma, Tafelmusik)
Daft Punk "Doin' It Right"
Bon Iver "Woods"
Mumford & Sons cover of "The Boxer"

Initial impressions are positive. "The Boxer" really highlighted both the imaging capabilities and the dynamic immediacy of the high-sensitivity design.

That's it for now...I'll report back once I have more time with them. The outriggers will show up next week so I'll have a chance to see if they make any improvement apart from physical stability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3345.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	696618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3350.jpg
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	696626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3339.jpg
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	696634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3337.jpg
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	696642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3341.jpg
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	696650  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page