Tekton Pendragon - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 134Likes

post #2221 of 2230 Old 09-18-2016, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams2 View Post
But then again, maybe I'll never upgrade. Because even with these speakers it shows how bad most recordings are, and even better speakers might be less enjoyable most of the time, unless the music you listen to is always available with the best recordings.
I haven't found that to be the case. Greater accuracy doesn't lead to less enjoyment IME. Preferred speakers tend to be the most accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2230 Old 09-18-2016, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I haven't found that to be the case. Greater accuracy doesn't lead to less enjoyment IME. Preferred speakers tend to be the most accurate.
I agree that accurate speakers sound stunning with good recordings, and it is pretty cool to hear people shuffling and making noises around the recording studio, it gives more of the feeling of being there. But I do find myself annoyed sometimes with how bad many recordings are.
CruelInventions likes this.

Last edited by Williams2; 09-18-2016 at 05:35 AM.
post #2223 of 2230 Old 09-18-2016, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I agree that accurate speakers sound stunning with good recordings, and it is pretty cool to hear people shuffling and making noises around the recording studio, it gives more of the feeling of being there. But I do find myself annoyed sometimes with how bad many recordings are.
I find that a grossly inaccurate speaker setup produces the best results for the music that the wife and I listen to, which is mostly Blu-ray rock concerts. Most of them sound crap with a single pair of flat frequency response speakers, thin, lacking in bass and overly bright. The Pendragon's I use certainly overcome the lack of bass on these recordings to a large degree but as with all other speakers I've tried, still leave the sound lacking in body and overly bright.

I came across the solution quite by accident when comparing the new Pendragon's to my existing Zu Audio Omen Defs. I had them set up side by side on separate amps for quick switching. My son when he was visiting said why not run them both at once. I thought, nah, will just get comb filtering and loss of image. However I tried it and wow, what a huge full sound. Was still far too bright, but turning the treble down on the Outlaw RR2150 integrated amp that was driving the Omen Defs solved that. The Omen Defs strength is its upper bass and midrange, but its weakness is in the low to mid treble where the 10" drivers (which run without a crossover) are still producing sound. So cutting that off with the treble control of the RR2150 and letting the Penragon's treble take over is much more pleasing.

The volume and treble controls on the RR2150 (which drives the Omen Defs) are used as a mid-bass, mid-range boost, that I tailor to the source or blu-ray concert or audio disk being played. Some concerts need a large volume boost with correspondingly large treble cut, others not as much. The Pendragon's are running from the Anthem MCA 20 power amp and with no tone control. The Emotiva XSP-1 drives the MCA 20 via the balanced outputs and the RR2150 via the RCA outputs. The speaker wires on the RR2150 are reversed to keep the two sets of speakers in phase, as one of the power amps happens to be inverting.

The end result is by far the best, most realistic and full sounding experience I've heard anywhere. Just so engaging and not fatiguing at all. It's like being there. I don't think any single pair of speakers at any price can duplicate it. And I don't detect any comb filtering effects at all.

Mainfloor 2.1 Music/TV System: Tekton Pendragons and Zu Omen Defs, Ibeam sonic transducer, Emotiva XSP-1, Anthem MCA-20, Outlaw RR2150, Pioneer BDP-05FD, Panasonic 60VT65 Plasma TV, Linn LP12
Basement 5.2 Theater: Fusion-12 Tempest for LCR, 2x 88-Specials (with modified crossover) for surrounds, stereo Stonehenge subs with 460HO drivers, Emotiva XMC-1, Anthem MCA 50, Crown XLi2500 for subs, Behringer DEQ2496, Epson 1080UB.
post #2224 of 2230 Old 09-18-2016, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
See, that's the thing, I dont think there are too many really bad recordings. Of course there are some, but I think there are so many more very good to great recordings.

I listen almost exclusively to streaming music through Sonos and I enjoy hours of music a night that I think is fantastic. And there is plenty of stuff that is every bit as good as any of the hi-rez stuff I own. Some better. Which is why I rarely bother even going to my hi-rez stuff anymore.

Moving to more accurate speakers I now enjoy more stuff than ever before, which is why I commented. There are plenty of speakers out there that may sound good, but aren't necessarily accurate. For example, many B&W speakers fall into this category. Have you looked at the measurements of your speakers?
post #2225 of 2230 Old 09-18-2016, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That's why you need atleast 2 different speakers. As I use both direct drive for techno and belt driven for hi fi listening. Find it easier

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #2226 of 2230 Old 09-18-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
See, that's the thing, I dont think there are too many really bad recordings. Of course there are some, but I think there are so many more very good to great recordings.

I listen almost exclusively to streaming music through Sonos and I enjoy hours of music a night that I think is fantastic. And there is plenty of stuff that is every bit as good as any of the hi-rez stuff I own. Some better. Which is why I rarely bother even going to my hi-rez stuff anymore.

Moving to more accurate speakers I now enjoy more stuff than ever before, which is why I commented. There are plenty of speakers out there that may sound good, but aren't necessarily accurate. For example, many B&W speakers fall into this category. Have you looked at the measurements of your speakers?
I'd have to look at the measurements of them again, but I know they are quite flat. Look them up, I think Bryston said they took over 200 measurements when making the T series speakers. Don't know if that's true but they do have their own testing chamber where they are built at Axiom, so why not. And I should clarify about bad recordings, I was saying it wrong. I meant mostly with not so great sources, like streaming from Google play. When listening to Tidal hi-fi almost everything sounds great.
post #2227 of 2230 Old 09-18-2016, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'd have to look at the measurements of them again, but I know they are quite flat. Look them up, I think Bryston said they took over 200 measurements when making the T series speakers. Don't know if that's true but they do have their own testing chamber where they are built at Axiom, so why not. And I should clarify about bad recordings, I was saying it wrong. I meant mostly with not so great sources, like streaming from Google play. When listening to Tidal hi-fi almost everything sounds great.
Here are the NRC measurements of your speakers.
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/ind...nts&Itemid=153

Revel F206
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/ind...nts&Itemid=153
post #2228 of 2230 Old 09-18-2016, 07:54 PM

Yes, thank you. And that dip in the 2-4khz range is why my sensitive ears find the mini T's amazing. I get fatigued in that range, that's why most speakers don't work for me. Ruler flat may be perfect for most, but not for me. I even found the LS50'S quite fatiguing when most people don't. I think Bryston did a fantastic job of compromising between flat response and tuning for a pleasing sound like B&W seems to do. I love them. But isn't this a Tekton thread? Lol.

Last edited by Williams2; 09-18-2016 at 07:57 PM.
post #2229 of 2230 Old 09-21-2016, 05:43 AM

So after doing a b comparison between 804 d3 and pendragon conclusion is pens are better for overall music enjoyment and 804 d3 better for critical listening. 804 d3 need more playing around with to get close enjoyment when it comes down to high dynamics. If someone asked which to buy it be Pens overall satisfaction and it's less expensive. For me 804 is my reference speaker.

post #2230 of 2230 Old 09-21-2016, 12:25 PM

Just wanted to post how well Eric Alexander takes care of his customers. I had issue with one of the 10 inch woofers, he quickly called me in literally 5 second after emailing him of the issue. In no time he sent me out replacement driver. He even just told me to glues the speaker while I wait. What is good about that is being able to enjoy the pendragons while I waited for the replacement. So anyone wondering about going tekton do it because you have A+ company owner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page