153Likes

post #2311 of 2338 Old 02-24-2017, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiJeffy View Post

Do a lot of you use your AVR as more of a pre-amp or are there a lot of you just running your Pens off of the AVR power supply?
My goal is to maybe to get the 3 fronts powered by an external amp and use the Yamaha's amps for surrounds. Question, if I use the pre-outs on the Yamaha for the fronts, does that turn off the internal amps for those channels? Is the AVR less taxed because of using external amplification?
I'm using pre-outs into a powerful separate amp because separates, you know, are just fun. That being said, these spears are efficient and alot of folks use very low powered tube amps to run them. I hope to eventually have a 400w solid state amp and a 15w tube amp and use both although I wonder if it would be too much trouble to switch back and forth in the long run.

Last edited by Danonano; 02-24-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2338 Old 02-27-2017, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am running from my Oppo 105 direct to Nuprime STA-9 amps in mono to the Pens, so 290w a side. I actually just this weekend did the 1 amp in stereo rated at 120w using streaming audio at a very high volume for 2 hours, no issues. Pretty cool little amps.
post #2313 of 2338 Old 03-01-2017, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axememan View Post
They each have their own Emotiva XPA100 250 Watt Monoblock

I'm same setup 2 xpa100 for my Pendragons. Using McIntosh preamp with project carbon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Axememan likes this.

post #2314 of 2338 Old 03-01-2017, 11:42 AM

Wonder if Eric plans on using polygon tweeter setup on future Pendragons.

post #2315 of 2338 Old 03-03-2017, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonddaboom View Post
Wonder if Eric plans on using polygon tweeter setup on future Pendragons.
The Pendragons already have enough treble going on, to my ears. I'd rather see another large mid-bass/ midrange transducer added, with a tamed breakup like the 10" driver used in the Lore. Could cross higher and maybe reduce the number of tweeters required. Could even use the Lore woofer and tweeter with the two Pendragon 10" drivers without any additional high pass crossover on the Lore section.

This is coming from my experience blending Pendragons and Omen Defs together, where with the volume and treble on the amp driving the Omen Defs is reduced to blend properly. Brings body and realism to Blu-ray concerts, music and movies that I'd never come across before.

Mainfloor 2.1 Music/TV System: Tekton Pendragons and Zu Omen Defs, Ibeam sonic transducer, Emotiva XSP-1, Anthem MCA-20, Outlaw RR2150, Cambridge CXU, Panasonic 60VT65 Plasma TV, Linn LP12
Basement 5.2 Theater: Fusion-12 Tempest for LCR, 2x 88-Specials (with modified crossover) for surrounds, stereo Stonehenge subs with RSS460HO-4 drivers, Emotiva XMC-1, Anthem MCA 50, Crown XLi2500 for subs, Epson 6030 UB.
post #2316 of 2338 Old 03-03-2017, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiJeffy View Post
Hey, thanks for your response. From some of the posts I have been reading, you are one of the guys I was hoping would respond.

So how do you like those Emotiva monoblocks? I would assume that 250watts is plenty of power for the Pendragons. Are you running them of a pre or and AVR? I guess the only monoblocks that Emotiva has now are those 600watt beasts. Seems a little overkill. But the Gen3 amps with the 275 watts per channel look interesting. But most likely I am going to go this route. Tried and proven class A/B power from Monoprice, Monolith 3. https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
Phone number color definitions:
Purple = Phone number is not in BETTI
Red = Phone number is in BETTI on an existing SP or Consumer
Green = Phone number is a metered number owned by HomeAdvisor
HA Hunter
The Emotivas have plenty of power and the Pens get Loud.I am coming out of the Preamp Outputs of my Onkyo TX-NR838.I ended up actually set my upper volume limit to 85 in the Onkyo.
I found myself gradully crankin up the volume to SUPER loud levels.Usually beer was involved so I set my self an upper safety limit.
I jammed out some songs,pre drinking, and decided that 85 was MAX that I needed.
Those Monoliths look really cool and seem to get reviews!They are Beasts
I am looking at some Tube Line Level stuff to maybe incorporate some Tubey Goodness in to the mix.
I plan on adding one between the Onkyo and the Emotivas.
I'm looking at a Schiit Audio Freya and already bought a Maverick Tube DAC.I ordered an SYS selector switch today from Schiit Audio to be able to go between the Tubes and just the regular setup for HT.
Also got a quote from the guy at Mapletree Audio.The Mapletree has HT Bypass.
I still love my Pendragons.
Best speaker that I have ever had!
And I have never dropped that kind of coin on a speaker before.
post #2317 of 2338 Old 03-03-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeng View Post
The Pendragons already have enough treble going on, to my ears. I'd rather see another large mid-bass/ midrange transducer added, with a tamed breakup like the 10" driver used in the Lore. Could cross higher and maybe reduce the number of tweeters required. Could even use the Lore woofer and tweeter with the two Pendragon 10" drivers without any additional high pass crossover on the Lore section.

This is coming from my experience blending Pendragons and Omen Defs together, where with the volume and treble on the amp driving the Omen Defs is reduced to blend properly. Brings body and realism to Blu-ray concerts, music and movies that I'd never come across before.

Has enough,but I gathered that the three tweets aren't playing with the same energy. So I maybe the double impact resolved this issue you have without the Zu speaker in conjunction with Pens.

post #2318 of 2338 Old 03-04-2017, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I don't have issues with the Pens as such, when I bought them I already had the Omen Defs, and just couldn't decide between the deep subwoofer-like bass and clear treble of the Pens (good for drums, dubstep and chill lounge) vs. the seamless and natural sounding mid-bass to midrange sound from the Omen Defs (unmatched for electric guitar and vocals but with lower treble issues) so decided to keep both. It was only after my son suggesting running both together that I found I could have the best of both worlds! (when blended properly).

Yes, the Double Impact with its dedicated midrange drivers might be a single speaker pair I could live with, but the CDN-USD isn't favorable for us Canucks these days .

Mainfloor 2.1 Music/TV System: Tekton Pendragons and Zu Omen Defs, Ibeam sonic transducer, Emotiva XSP-1, Anthem MCA-20, Outlaw RR2150, Cambridge CXU, Panasonic 60VT65 Plasma TV, Linn LP12
Basement 5.2 Theater: Fusion-12 Tempest for LCR, 2x 88-Specials (with modified crossover) for surrounds, stereo Stonehenge subs with RSS460HO-4 drivers, Emotiva XMC-1, Anthem MCA 50, Crown XLi2500 for subs, Epson 6030 UB.
post #2319 of 2338 Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hello,
I've a prospective Tekton owner and have been back and forth between the Impact and Double Impact for awhile now. I know there's a review coming in a few weeks for the Double Impacts, but I can't find anything about the regular Impacts. Anybody tried those out yet? They fit my space a lot better, but don't know if they will sound like smaller DI's or not. Obviously they don't go as low, but a sub could handle that for difference in costs of the Double Impacts.

I've got some white van speakers right now with a 12" driver, 5" driver, and horn tweeter, so they are similar to the Impacts in driver size. They seem to get plenty loud, even thought the room is 3000 cubic feet.

One problem is I have trouble talking myself into a $3000 pair of speakers. Not to say that they aren't worth that kind of money, but I'd have to be really blown away by the sound to justify it. My only other piece of equipment is an Onkyo TX-RZ800 and my room is not the greatest for sound quality so I don't know how much these things will limit the DI's performance.
post #2320 of 2338 Old 03-08-2017, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Anyone notice that there's a mysterious new line of Tekton products on their website called Tekton PMD? I'm not sure what the difference between the regular Pendragon and the PMD Pendragon is going to be, but the PMD version is 10x the price.
post #2321 of 2338 Old 03-14-2017, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Anyone notice that there's a mysterious new line of Tekton products on their website called Tekton PMD? I'm not sure what the difference between the regular Pendragon and the PMD Pendragon is going to be, but the PMD version is 10x the price.
Looks like this version is designed to be used as studio monitors by the pro audio industry. Given the price point, I imagine the cabinet will be vastly more rigid, and the drivers and wiring will all be different. The regular Pendragon is kept at a 'cheap' price point partly by having a simple cabinet. Look at a high end speaker, and you'll find a complex cabinet design.
post #2322 of 2338 Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Professional review of the Double Impacts up at HomeTheaterReview.com - http://hometheaterreview.com/tekton-...aker-reviewed/

Check it out! Makes me want to upgrade from my Pens...

Display - JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, 106" Da-lite screen
Equipment - Integra DTR-6.8 AVR, Mac Mini HTPC (Win10, Kodi), Xbox One, Apple TV (3rd gen)
Speakers - Tekton Pendragon Towers, Pendragon Center, Pioneer BS-22s, dual Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 Subs
post #2323 of 2338 Old 03-20-2017, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdyebrasil View Post
Professional review of the Double Impacts up at HomeTheaterReview.com -
Professional? Terry by profession is a practitioner of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. He lists as part of his own gear Harmonix Studio Master Power Cords, Sablon Reference Digital Cable, MG cables: Silver reference ICs and Planas 3 speaker wire & jumpers, Running Springs Audio Dmitri Power Conditioner. The only thing he's missing is Brilliant Pebbles. But he doesn't own any testing gear. No matter, reading more of his 'reviews' it's obvious that he lacks the technical expertise to use them anyway.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #2324 of 2338 Old 03-20-2017, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJames View Post
Professional? Terry by profession is a practitioner of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. He lists as part of his own gear Harmonix Studio Master Power Cords, Sablon Reference Digital Cable, MG cables: Silver reference ICs and Planas 3 speaker wire & jumpers, Running Springs Audio Dmitri Power Conditioner. The only thing he's missing is Brilliant Pebbles. But he doesn't own any testing gear. No matter, reading more of his 'reviews' it's obvious that he lacks the technical expertise to use them anyway.
Completely agree about most professional reviews. If everything is great, than it is all average. Still, the design intrigues me for some reason. Have you heard them?
post #2325 of 2338 Old 03-21-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
So what is your point here? Are you correcting my use of the word "professional", or trying to disregard Terry's review as pointless?

Why should I trust your opinion over his?

Either way, I was just sharing a review of a Tekton speaker (on a Tekton thread) for others to look at. I own Tekton speakers and am very happy with them. I've never heard the DIs though. I have heard a lot about them, on this forum and on others, and to see an actual review on them is just another piece of information to go off of. Ultimately though, my own ears would be the deciding factor on whether I actually put my hard-earned money toward buying a pair, not the opinion of a "professional reviewer" or of some guy on an online forum.

Equipment - Integra DTR-6.8 AVR, Mac Mini HTPC (Win10, Kodi), Xbox One, Apple TV (3rd gen)
Speakers - Tekton Pendragon Towers, Pendragon Center, Pioneer BS-22s, dual Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 Subs
post #2326 of 2338 Old 03-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I called Eric yesterday. He said he had a very important call coming and needed to call me back. He has not yet. It wouldn't bother me too much except for he did the same things about a month ago. I can understand that you may not want some noob giving you 20 questions about your speaker design when you've been building speakers your whole life, but to me they are a lot of money and want to make sure they are what I'm looking for. Oh well, maybe he'll call back, maybe he won't, maybe I'll have to start looking elsewhere.
post #2327 of 2338 Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdyebrasil View Post
So what is your point here? Are you correcting my use of the word "professional", or trying to disregard Terry's review as pointless?
You were the one who pointed out that he was a professional. If he was a professional acoustical engineer like Don Keele or Floyd Toole that would be worth something. It turns out he might as well be a professional wrestler. I would call his review pointless, not only because he has no professional audio credits, but because he's an audiofool who doesn't even know enough not to waste his money on high priced cables and power conditioners, and the only speaker measurements he's capable of taking are those using a yardstick.
post #2328 of 2338 Old 03-21-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You were the one who pointed out that he was a professional. If he was a professional acoustical engineer like Don Keele or Floyd Toole that would be worth something. It turns out he might as well be a professional wrestler. I would call his review pointless, not only because he has no professional audio credits, but because he's an audiofool who doesn't even know enough not to waste his money on high priced cables and power conditioners, and the only speaker measurements he's capable of taking are those using a yardstick.
Come on now, I'm sure he's capable of using a tape measure

My usage of the word "professional" was simply to differentiate his review from say one from an anonymous forum goer. His experience, credentials, etc... were not taken into account. In his position on a semi-prominent website we are at least able to see who he is and what his background might be. That is all.

post #2329 of 2338 Old 03-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
The Emotivas have plenty of power and the Pens get Loud.I am coming out of the Preamp Outputs of my Onkyo TX-NR838.I ended up actually set my upper volume limit to 85 in the Onkyo.
I found myself gradully crankin up the volume to SUPER loud levels.Usually beer was involved so I set my self an upper safety limit.
I jammed out some songs,pre drinking, and decided that 85 was MAX that I needed.
Those Monoliths look really cool and seem to get reviews!They are Beasts
I am looking at some Tube Line Level stuff to maybe incorporate some Tubey Goodness in to the mix.
I plan on adding one between the Onkyo and the Emotivas.
I'm looking at a Schiit Audio Freya and already bought a Maverick Tube DAC.I ordered an SYS selector switch today from Schiit Audio to be able to go between the Tubes and just the regular setup for HT.
Also got a quote from the guy at Mapletree Audio.The Mapletree has HT Bypass.
I still love my Pendragons.
Best speaker that I have ever had!
And I have never dropped that kind of coin on a speaker before.
I added a Schiit Audio Freya Tube Preamp into the Roster.It's only been in for a day and half now but I am liking the interaction with the Emotivas and the Pendragons so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freya.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	2050649  
post #2330 of 2338 Old 03-29-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I added a Schiit Audio Freya Tube Preamp into the Roster.It's only been in for a day and half now but I am liking the interaction with the Emotivas and the Pendragons so far.
The Schiit Audio Freya is settling in and sounding really good .The Pendragons now sound even better.
klh007 likes this.

Sony 65" 4K [XBR Series];Onkyo TX-NR838 Receiver;Schiit Audio Freya Tube Preamp;
Emotiva XPA-100 Monoblocks[2] or Primaluna Prologue 5 Tube Amp for Front LR;Outlaw Audio M2200 Monoblock for Center ;Nvidia Shield TV 500Gb;
Sony PS3;Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Bluray;Sony BDP-S5100 Bluray Player;WD Media Player;
Tekton Pendragon Towers for Front LR;Klipsch RC62 Center;
Epos Epic2 for Heights;Bic PL200 for Rear LR;SVS PC2000x2;SVS SB12-NSD;SVS 20-39pci
post #2331 of 2338 Old 05-23-2017, 09:58 AM

I added a Primaluna Prologue 5 Tube Amp and have hooked it up so I can play either/or.The Emotiva XPA100's or the Primaluna .Running KT-88's right now and have some 6L6's and KT-120's ready to tube roll.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PrimaLuna Prologue 5 Tube amp.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	2152018  
bonddaboom likes this.

Sony 65" 4K [XBR Series];Onkyo TX-NR838 Receiver;Schiit Audio Freya Tube Preamp;
Emotiva XPA-100 Monoblocks[2] or Primaluna Prologue 5 Tube Amp for Front LR;Outlaw Audio M2200 Monoblock for Center ;Nvidia Shield TV 500Gb;
Sony PS3;Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Bluray;Sony BDP-S5100 Bluray Player;WD Media Player;
Epos Epic2 for Heights;Bic PL200 for Rear LR;SVS PC2000x2;SVS SB12-NSD;SVS 20-39pci
post #2332 of 2338 Old 05-23-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I added a Primaluna Prologue 5 Tube Amp and have hooked it up so I can play either/or.The Emotiva XPA100's or the Primaluna .Running KT-88's right now and have some 6L6's and KT-120's ready to tube roll.
Would you say pens sound stale on the xpa amps

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #2333 of 2338 Old 05-23-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:

I have 8 OHm pens wonder if should have gone 4 ohm being my setup is solid state

post #2334 of 2338 Old 05-23-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:

i dont think stale really,like the Emotivas on most all music and movies too.The Tube Amp does some music real good,it did ok watchin movies but super action stuff seem to stretch it a bit and its not a metal amp,or at least alot of it.
Acousticy and jazz and some blues at not max volume but still plenty loud.I used the tube amp in the mix for a few weeks and i could live with just that mostly.now I can change them out and use whichever amp for what i am gonna play.
Sand Amp,or Tube Amp.
it would be kool to hear how they sounded thru some mega dollar amp to be able to gauge what it sounds like compared to what we have.
I am not sure how the 4ohm version would interact.It would be interesting to hear.
I do like the 8ohm so down the road if i want to flip em and get some double impacts I may have an easier time selling them.
I have the Outlaw M2200 on the center and i bet a pair of those would do the Dragons good.
Sometimes ,when listening to music through either amp, i wish i had one of my old equalizers in the stack.
Im learning even more so now that some music is just mixed crappy,but, new movies are mixed really awesome!
bonddaboom likes this.

post #2335 of 2338 Old 05-23-2017, 05:46 PM

I own class'e 2 channel amp. It's 6k brand new I bought it as floor model from brick and mortar. Have pair of Brilliance playing on that amp sound is amazing but Pendragons are better speaker. The receiver on the Brilliance is XMC. the dragons are on preamp by McIntosh c47.

Axememan likes this.
post #2336 of 2338 Old 05-24-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
I own class'e 2 channel amp. It's 6k brand new I bought it as floor model from brick and mortar. Have pair of Brilliance playing on that amp sound is amazing but Pendragons are better speaker. The receiver on the Brilliance is XMC. the dragons are on preamp by McIntosh c47.

thats some very kool gear and Id call it high dollar from my cash viewing angle.Heck,Ive never spent what I have these last 2 years..high dollar to me lol

post #2337 of 2338 Old 05-27-2017, 05:14 PM

My Pendragon Tshirt that my Buddy is painting up for me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pendragon Tshirt.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	2158650  

post #2338 of 2338 Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
My Pendragon Tshirt that my Buddy is painting up for me
has anyone sold their Pendragons and bought the Double Impacts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi7 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page