AVS Forum banner
258K views 2K replies 229 participants last post by  Holden_Commodore 
#1 ·
People have said that we need an official Tekton Pendragon thread so I thought I'd start one.

I'm thinking of replacing my Def. Tech. BP2000's which I have across the front of my theater including the center with these speakers. I've read great reviews and they seem like a steal at $2500. If anyone has anything to add, please join in.

Ken

#2 ·
Is there an official Tekton thread period? These seem like some serious speakers and am surprised there are not more owners or not more love for them. I can't afford the Pendragons but am picking up a pair of M-Lores with my fantasy football winnings!

#3 ·
Good to see that this thread has come about. I currently own the Pendragons and am thoroughly enjoying them. If you are interested I can give an honest overview of my experience from ordering to receiving and listening. My current set up is as follows:

Pendragons (R+L) – waiting for center

Surrounds Polk LSi F/X

2 x Seaton SubM

Integra DHC 80.3

Sherbourn PA 5-200

Velodyne SMS-1

Panamax conditioner

PS3 super slim

#5 ·
nb67,

Glad to hear some comments. How long did it take to receive the speakers once you ordered them? Did you also order the grills and also at what cost? When are you expecting to see the center speaker and also at what price?

I've sent an e-mail but never got a response. Must be the Holidays.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Ken

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48  /t/1446325/tekton-pendragon#post_22737646

nb67,

Glad to hear some comments. How long did it take to receive the speakers once you ordered them? Did you also order the grills and also at what cost? When are you expecting to see the center speaker and also at what price?

I've sent an e-mail but never got a response. Must be the Holidays.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Ken

Hi Ken

Well, the process wasn’t all roses. I was originally quoted 3-4 weeks for the L, R +C. It was 8 weeks till I got the first shipment (L+R). To be fair on Eric, I did change the order after 2 weeks as I wanted the upgrade on the caps. The center is now 10 weeks and counting. I did order the grills but have not received them either as Eric had told me he made them in batches, well, ok no biggie.

Eric was easy to work with, well; I did my homework before hand so I knew what I wanted bar the cap upgrade. I ordered the stock black satin Pendragon set. (Btw they are rear ported and have the standard rear connects, no bi amp – I used banana plugs for my set up)

When the L+R arrived they were very well packaged. Each surface of the speaker being covered by a layer of +/- 2 inch polystyrene inside the box. Getting them unpacked was easy too as you just split the box in 2 pieces around the middle (it’s made that way). By feel they are about ~70 lbs each. (I need to weigh them). I would really suggest that you do a mock-up as these speakers are big. Really took some guys by surprise when they saw them. I didn’t care too much for the spikes that were supplied and would have liked to see a matching set of placement disks that go under the spikes included.

As for the finish, they are gorgeous. Really top notch.I can not emphasize this enough. I believe that Eric’s father was a carpenter and it looks like it rubbed off on him. If the reason for the shipping delay was to get them finished as nice as they are, then I really don’t mind the wait. As for price I will pm you if you wish but I believe the stock prices are on the web site. On communication , I'm pretty old school, I like to speak personally to people, so most of my comms were done by phone. Of course the confirmation etc was done via email. Always good to have something in writing now days.

I will follow up on my listening impressions.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove  /t/1446325/tekton-pendragon#post_22737410

Anyone want to comment on the M-Lore? I have an opportunity to pick some up inexpensively and locally.
i was going to pick up a pair on ebay for $160 just for sh*ts and giggles to try to cure my curiosity of these speakers( was looking to buy the lores this spring) but seller wont ship from california. local pic-up only

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50  /t/1446325/tekton-pendragon#post_22741352

i was going to pick up a pair on ebay for $160 just for sh*ts and giggles to try to cure my curiosity of these speakers( was looking to buy the lores this spring) but seller wont ship from california. local pic-up only
That would seem to be a compelling price.

#10 ·
I've owned the Pendragons for over a couple months now, and I am still floored with them. I honestly couldn't be happier. I have them in the Ralph Lauren Burgundy color as well as the Pendragon center channel. They truly are stunning and I have no regrets having them in that finish. The bass is full and extremely clean. The soundstage is unreal. I am actually in the process of getting custom Oriel ten speakers with the Pendragon driver in it for a 5 channel Tekton setup. I'm confident this setup can go toe to toe with "name brand" speakers that are twice the cost of the Pendragons. The last set of speakers I owned were BIC acoustech's which retail for $569. Don't get me wrong, the BIC's sounded awesome for their price, but they are not even in the same area code as the Pendragons. I know their is a big price difference between the two, but it is day and night. In fact, I would say the Pendragons are closer to the $30,000 Kef Blades in terms of sound quality vs. the Bic's.

#12 ·
Has anybody heard both the JTR Noesis and the Pendragons? I heard the Noesis yesterday, and was very impressed, and I'd like to check out the Pendragons.

I'm also interested in listening to upgraded Zu Omen Defs. It seems like some people like those better than the Pendragons, and they have a similar design.

#15 ·
Hey everyone, this is the first forum I've actually been able to comment on about my experience so far with a new HT living room. Just the other day I received my final shipment from Eric at Tekton. My speaker set up consists of Pendragons up front along with a Pen center channel and a pair of m-lores as side/rears.

I've been saving my pennies and have a new 65" Panasonic VT50, calibrated by (can I name names on this forum?). I've been working with the folks at GIK and will soon have 8 tri traps, 2 tris with the new scatter plate option. All to be hooked up in time to do two things.........watch the Super Bowl and.......listen to and watch "Looking for Mr Sugarman". The sound track is phenomenal! Thanks to all the reviews, forums, information and insights that have brought everything together. Pictures are coming soon.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpack  /t/1446325/tekton-pendragon#post_22780720

Hey everyone, this is the first forum I've actually been able to comment on about my experience so far with a new HT living room. Just the other day I received my final shipment from Eric at Tekton. My speaker set up consists of Pendragons up front along with a Pen center channel and a pair of m-lores as side/rears.

I've been saving my pennies and have a new 65" Panasonic VT50, calibrated by (can I name names on this forum?). I've been working with the folks at GIK and will soon have 8 tri traps, 2 tris with the new scatter plate option. All to be hooked up in time to do two things.........watch the Super Bowl and.......listen to and watch "Looking for Mr Sugarman". The sound track is phenomenal! Thanks to all the reviews, forums, information and insights that have brought everything together. Pictures are coming soon.

Wow, you have it rough! I am seriously jealous. I have to go with the M-Lores for my mains.
But Eric assured me I would be just fine. You should try out the M-Lores as mains just for the heck of it and sive us your feedback. You will for sure have fun with the Superbowl and Searching for Mr Sugarman. You are correct, the soundtrack to that is AMAZING! Too bad most people don't even know who he is. Anyway, can't wait to hear your impressions and see the pics!

#19 ·
I have decided to drop my income tax on some speakers and this company has certainly caught my eye. I have limited funds to work with at the moment so was planning on picking up a pair of the Model Lore. Eventually with the plan to move these to rear surrounds and pick up the Pendragon as fronts. I do not see any Pendragon centers anyone mind dropping a price on that? Another question I have is do I need to ask about upgrading this capacitor for the Model Lore? Do you all think I will have the same delay in shipping? Not in a huge rush just curious. Thanks in advance for answers.

#21 ·
I actually mix it up ... probably 50/50. So capacitor helpful for music? I just noticed the blog where he discusses the new pendragons. What are general impressions of the lore and using them as rears at some point? I am working with a very large space 18 ft cathedral ceilings roughly 28x28ft room. That seems reasonable on the center for certain considering the same speaker array just smaller cabinet. It seems I am going to be sending him a email soon hehe.

#23 ·
We can all spend endlessly; there is always another upgrade. I've probably already bought things I don't NEED but but instead want in the persuit of getting the best sound and experience in my home. In the case of the Pendragons though, 2500 is more than reasonable considering what you get and a downright bargin when compared to price/performance of comparable speakers. Note.........Eric will steer you in the right direction!

Do you need oil capacitors, probably not unless you have the money left over. But like the other post said, spend that cash on the Pen center channel ( it is a perfect match ). Do you have to have room treatments? No, not right now. But go down to the local library and ask yourself where your music would sound best, there or your room. Be patient, pay attention to these forums, call J. Smith at "get better sound" and identify what "sound" is important to YOUR ears. Most of all........have fun!

#24 ·
I have a email off to Tekton. It sounds like I probably don't need the capacitors. Would love a brief explanation of what benefits they add over standard builds. My Onkyo 1008 receiver died on me last month at the end of its warranty. So right now my plan is to use my income tax on speakers. Then when I get my Samsung LED 3d HDTV paid off from best buy (next couple months) I intend to pick up a new receiver and stick it on payments (interest free). After that I am hopeful I can focus on putting together a 7.1 or 6.1 setup of Tekton speakers.

In my email I asked about cost associated with providing bi wiring binding post. The more I read about how efficient these speakers are , the more I think maybe I don't need bi - wiring capability. Might be a few more dollars I can save. So my upgrade path appears as follows.

set of Model Lore (start on front work way to back)

set of Pendragons (eventual fronts)

Pendragon center

From here I will need to make a choice on 6.1 or 7.1

If I choose 6.1 I will get another pendragon center for rear center channel.

If I choose 7.1 I will get a set of Model Lore as wides or surround backs.

This sound like a nice setup?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1446325/tekton-pendragon#post_22783854

Just bought pendragons and now the wait . Just curious what setting the rest of you have for the crossover point for movies ? Are you running the fronts and centre full range or crossing them at 50 , 60 , or 80hz ?

Audyssey crosses mine at 40hz. The speakers are very capable down low. For 2 channel music I select them to run full range as the bass sounds better than with the subs on.

#26 ·
Sounds like a good game plan on building your system. I chose to forgo the sub for now based on the Pendragon bass reviews. I know....it's a different channel....but that is one of the things I feel I can wait on.

My order took about 8 weeks, color is deep garnet. I'm having a console made that can house the center channel but found a company....plateau designs....that has a model, srv-75; it's big enough to hold it.

The M-lores get rave reviews

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.