Need help selecting amazing bookshelf speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 12-19-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using the Axiom Audio M60s for 2 years. I recently bought a new house, and there is not enough room in the den (damn bookshelves) for the M60s. I need to find some serious bookshelf speakers. I want a speaker that provides the same or better sound than the M60s. I am trying to avoid downgrading because I am being forced into bookshelf speakers. My budget would be roughly $1,200.00.

I will use them for a mixture of TV, movies (Blu-Ray mostly) and music. I would put an emphasis on movies first. If you know of a jaw dropping bookshelf speaker, please let me know.

Yes, I feel like I got kicked five times in the nuts for losing my M60s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
First bookshelf that comes to mind is the Ascend Sierra bookshelf http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

I had Axioms before too and went from Axiom M22 V2s to Arx A1 bookshelfs (although later upgraded to larger Arx towers). If you can get out and audition speakers at a local retailer, if you like the Axiom sound you probably want to look at some Paradigms or PSB. Seems like all the Canadian speakers have kind of a sizzle in the top end, like Axiom has (at least to me and alot of other AVSers)
post #3 of 34 Old 12-19-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Considering you put an emphasis on movies, are you running a CC or are we talking just 2 channel here?
post #4 of 34 Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
dynaudio, focal, monitor audio, ascend, salk, dali, paradigm, psb, kef, b&w, aperion will all have speakers in your price range that would meet your needs.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #5 of 34 Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
^^^ +1
post #6 of 34 Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

I am running the speakers through an Onkyo TX-NR806 receiver. I would like to move up to an amp one day. I am running a 5.2 setup through an HTPC. I like the idea of Paradigms or B&Ws. Do you recommend certain models?

Can bookshelf speakers actually sound as good or better than the M60s?
post #7 of 34 Old 12-19-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendustweb View Post

Can bookshelf speakers actually sound as good or better than the M60s?
With a sub? Yes.
post #8 of 34 Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
paradigm studio 10s or b&w CM1

However I do prefer the Dynaudio DM2/7(very good bass) or Excites X12 and Dali Ikon 1 and Focal 807v more then either of those 2 speakers. I like the Monitor Audio RX2 a lot as well.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #9 of 34 Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
NHT Classic Two's or Three's should also be considered.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #10 of 34 Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
fwiw, just a few great speakers on audiogon in your price range;
kef ls50
usher be-718 tiny dancers
totem acoustics model 1
revel performa m22
reference 3a de capo i
psb platinum m2
dynaudio focus 140

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #11 of 34 Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

NHT Classic Two's or Three's should also be considered.

+1

Especially if you're putting them in an actual bookshelf. You want something sealed or at least front ported and designed to work with close boundaries.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #12 of 34 Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
You want to keep your big speaker sound, and you need a speaker that's actually designed to be stuffed in a shelf/cabinet. This Boston BT1 is going to be hard to beat

http://www.digitalcraze.com/Speakers-Subs/Center-Channel/Boston-Acoustics-163/Boston-Acoustics-Bt1
post #13 of 34 Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

You want to keep your big speaker sound, and you need a speaker that's actually designed to be stuffed in a shelf/cabinet. This Boston BT1 is going to be hard to beat
http://www.digitalcraze.com/Speakers-Subs/Center-Channel/Boston-Acoustics-163/Boston-Acoustics-Bt1

Awesome theater speakers. Demo'd a pair several years ago and they have huge dynamics and output. A4less has them come up factory refurb sometimes. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSBT1/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-BT1-LCR-Loudspeaker-Each/1.html

Nice thing about them is that tweeter/mid can rotate so you can use it as a horizontal center.
post #14 of 34 Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 AM

I recently had to downgrade from mirage omd28s and wanted to get as much sound as I could without annoying the neighbors, something the mirage were exceedingly good at doing and is why I had to move them to my parents house. I ended up with monitor audio silver rx2. they have an 8" woofer so go pretty low still.

they sound fantastic, and are good enough that I don't constantly miss my omd28s.

I filled some b&w stands with sand and put them on them.

I use them mostly for movies and tv. and they are powered by a much too powerful 220w per channel peachtree amp left over from the omd28 speakers, and a nova for preamp/dac via usb from a htpc.
post #15 of 34 Old 12-20-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
No one has concerns about the CC not matching the LR?

Unless the OP is planning on purchasing a CC from whichever speaker company he's buying confused.gif
post #16 of 34 Old 12-20-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post

No one has concerns about the CC not matching the LR?
Unless the OP is planning on purchasing a CC from whichever speaker company he's buying confused.gif

You bring up a great point. I was hoping I would not need to purchase a matching center channel. Then again, that's why I'm posting because I have no idea. The Axiom center channel I have sounds great. Help?
post #17 of 34 Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

How big of a space do you have for the center? The Boston BT1's tweeter/mid array can be rotated and the speaker placed on its side for a center, so you get a perfect matched LCR.
post #18 of 34 Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You bring up a great point. I was hoping I would not need to purchase a matching center channel. Then again, that's why I'm posting because I have no idea. The Axiom center channel I have sounds great. Help?

While IMO its not a jaw dropping bookshelf, If you want to keep the Axiom center and are happy with the Axiom sound then just get the M22s. Honestly though IMO having experience with Axiom products, you can do much better than their current center channel offerings, especially the VP150.
post #19 of 34 Old 12-21-2012, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

While IMO its not a jaw dropping bookshelf, If you want to keep the Axiom center and are happy with the Axiom sound then just get the M22s. Honestly though IMO having experience with Axiom products, you can do much better than their current center channel offerings, especially the VP150.

If keeping the Axiom center channel means I have to downgrade to Axiom bookshelves, then I need to get another center channel. Would you select the Boston Acoustics BT1 / BT2 over The Dynaudios, Dalis and B&W's? I tend to agree, because these speakers will be sitting on a shelf, they may as well be built into the shelf.

Thanks!
post #20 of 34 Old 12-21-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 451
just went from reference Klipsch towers to PSB B6 with c5 center. I cannot express how incredible these speakers are!! blow away the top of the line klipshc towers. you will not be disappointed!!

btw I am 90% movies 10% music

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/1596161-sadiemax-theater-build-thread.html
post #21 of 34 Old 12-21-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If keeping the Axiom center channel means I have to downgrade to Axiom bookshelves, then I need to get another center channel. Would you select the Boston Acoustics BT1 / BT2 over The Dynaudios, Dalis and B&W's? I tend to agree, because these speakers will be sitting on a shelf, they may as well be built into the shelf.
Thanks!

Unless you're looking at on-wall/in-cabinet specific models from those brands, none of their standard speakers are designed to be stuffed in a bookshelf.
post #22 of 34 Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
One of the best bookshelf/monitor speakers I know of is the Monitor Audio Silver RX-2. They have excellent sound quality, and also they have an 8-inch bass driver, which will give you a lot more and lower bass than speakers with smaller drivers.

They run from $850 to $1000 per pair depending on which wood veneeer or gloss finish you choose.

They are rear-ported, however, which could be a problem if the rear will be very close to a wall.

In that case, front-ported speakers will be mandatory. The KEF Q300 has very good bass and run $650 per pair at KEF Direct.
post #23 of 34 Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Although no experience with Dynaudio (car speaker only) or Dalis I would say the Bostons would be the way to go. Especially since your leaning toward mostly movies. The Bostons will play louder, have better dynamics and are more efficient than your current Axioms. They will lack the bass that the M60s have but if your going to use subwoofer than thats not a big deal. If you can I would go with BT2 L/R and a BT1 center.

As far as what your after, in cabinet/on shelf speakers the BA's will be tough to beat.

I would get the measurements and make sure you can fit these in the location you need. Depth, width, ect. I would cut a piece of cardboard to the size and see if they would work.
post #24 of 34 Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
7dustweb:

I have 3 Axiom bookshelf systems:

HT - Two M22v3s with twin Velodyne subs (used as stands for the 22s) with QS4s for the rears. I use a Sony tiltable CC due to space limitations & I find that in real-world movie watching, the slight timbre difference is inconsequential & not detrimental in any way. I only notice the timbre difference on pink noise. Overall a great medium size HT that effortlessly shakes my house.

Audio SS System - Two M3v3s on Axiom Stands that I use as an ambiance for wonderful room filling sound without the need for a sub; and

Audio Tube Amp System -Two M2v3s on Axiom Stands paired with a single EP-400 sub that I use exclusively for SACDs. This is a killer little system with a small footprint that reproduces exceptionally pleasing & accurate music at more than adequate levels in a fairly large room.

According to several decades of positive reviews, both from the pros & a myriad of more than satisfied customers, it would not be a downgrade to Axiom bookshelves. They are rear ported though, so that would be a factor in placing them...

TAM
post #25 of 34 Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

My wife shot down the idea for the Boston Acoustics as she does not want the speakers to be "built in" to the book shelves. From what I have been reading, I guess I need to look into bookshelf front ported speakers.
post #26 of 34 Old 12-21-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you understand what a baffle diffraction step is and why it's the source of your problem?

Have someone cup their hands around their mouth (like a bullhorn) and talk to you. Got louder didn't it?
That's because the same amount of sonic energy is now radiating in a smaller cone. If you were standing off to their side, it would have gotten quieter, not louder.

If they could talk in really low frequencies, this trick would not work. Why? Because the baffle (their hands) wouldn't be big enough for the sound to interact with it. There would be no change in volume from the front or the side from them holding their hands up... unless they grew much bigger hands.

Same thing happens on a speaker. High frequencies project almost entirely forward and so are 6db higher than low frequencies which project in all directions.

But when you embed a speaker in a bookshelf, or wall, or the ground: you make a bigger baffle. Suddenly all of the sound is being projected forward instead of only high frequencies. All frequencies become +6db relative to what the bottom frequencies were doing before.

There is no speaker that, without adjustment, will perform properly both embedded in a wall/bookshelf/ground and also sitting on a stand in a room. The only possible exception would be one that, by virtue of a really big baffle or really limited LF response was already functionally an infinite baffle. Physics doesn't allow it.

On the upside: DSP room correction may adjust this for you.

(and yes, you don't want to use a rear-port that's blocked. That would make the mass in the tube functionally heavier (and spl dependant) and ruin your sound.
post #27 of 34 Old 12-25-2012, 06:39 AM

Liked: 11
I'm in the same predicament.
My front stage is a huge wall to wall, floor to ceiling bookshelf.
The room is a 15x22 sunken living room with one wall open to the rest of the house. 12 foot ceiling.
I have Klipsch RB-61lls for L/R, a RC-52 center, Klipsch ceiling surrounds and a Paradigm dsp-3400 sub.
I was looking at the Klipsch KL-650-THX or the Klipsch KL-525-THX to replace my front left and right RB-61lls. I was thinking of keeping the RC-52ll as the center.
I'm surprised nobody talks about this speaker.
Am I missing something?
How would these compare to the previously mentioned Boston built ins?
Opinions?
post #28 of 34 Old 03-11-2013, 05:03 AM

How about tekton m lores
post #29 of 34 Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 PM

Liked: 11
I auditioned a ton of bookshelf speakers in my search for a good all-around 2-channel setup for movies and music. If you're talking new, Goldenear Aon 3's for sure (they might not pass the WAF though). The Aon's absolutely go low. Not subwoofer low, but certainly a bookshelf-shouldn't-go-that-low low.

They're ugly, though. Damn ugly.

KEF R-100 is sexier, as is the new Venere series from Sonus Faber, but I'm not sure if either will go as low as you'd like.

Is there no room for a sub in the den (maybe I missed this in previous posts)? If you're using this mostly for movies, I would think you'd be overall happier with less expensive bookshelves and a sub than trying to pull a lot of low end from bookshelves alone.

post #30 of 34 Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
GoldenEar Aon 2/3 are getting good reviews here. All the ones already mentioned as well... Arx, Ascend, Aperion, SVS, HSU, PhilMonitors, Sulk, EMP Tek

All good smile.gif If you liked Axiom I think I would recommend the Aperion and since it is free 2 way shipping..you can't loose there.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page