I have the MA RX6. What to buy next - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-20-2012, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi!

I've the MA RX6 speakers and this moment and they are driven by an Onkyo TX-SR308 receiver.

I'm not sure what to buy next. Upgrade to a pioneer lx85 of lx76 receiver or buy the RX center and 2 RXFX surrounds? I don't have the budget to upgrade the speakers and receiver at the same time.

Will the audio for movies (and also for music, this is also very important) be improved the pioneer receiver? Or will the surround effect add more than just a new receiver?

Another option will be to keep the onkyo for movies... and just a new stereo amp for music.

A lot of options. very hard to decide!!!

70% moviews. 30% music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I suggest that you get the Cambridge Audio 551P receiver. It runs about $1200 and outperforms almost anything costing twice as much for fine sound quality. It is also loaded with features.

It is the ONLY home theater receiver I know of that has low-distortion amplifier circuits that will do justice to those high-quality speakers. It also has all the power your speakers can use.

Read the article on it in Home Theater magazine, available online at their website.

They make it quite clear, I think, that it has the best sound quality (and the most honest power ratings) of any receiver on the market. Most Japanese-brand receivers advertising twice as much supposed "power" actually deliver less when driving 5 speakers, and at higher levels of distortion.

It does!

You can easily spend $3000 on one of the Japanese receivers and get worse sound quality (and IMO the Pioneer Class-D amplifiers are very poor-sounding; I would never recommend them to a friend).

You can pick up the center speaker later when budget allows.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Get the speakers first. A better receiver isn't going to make up for those missing speakers when it comes to creating a cinema experience.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

IThey make it quite clear, I think, that it has the best sound quality (and the most honest power ratings) of any receiver on the market. Most Japanese-brand receivers advertising twice as much supposed "power" actually deliver less when driving 5 speakers, and at higher levels of distortion.
It does!
You can easily spend $3000 on one of the Japanese receivers and get worse sound quality (and IMO the Pioneer Class-D amplifiers are very poor-sounding; I would never recommend them to a friend).

Wrong. Heres some info direct from Hometheater

Cambridge Audio Azur 551R $1200
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 68.2 watts
1% distortion at 81.2 watts

Seven channels driven con- tinuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 61.7 watts
1% distortion at 69.4 watts

Onkyo TX-NR1009 $1300
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 116.5 watts
1% distortion at 131.2 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 86.1 watts
1% distortion at 100.6 watts

I wouldn't call a 2.5 star rating loaded full of features. Value 3.5 Stars alot of money for not much else. CA just can't match Onkyo or Denon for features and Onkyo and Denon, Marantz are showing that they can match those boutique receiver for power too maybe even more so.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-20-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post

Get the speakers first. A better receiver isn't going to make up for those missing speakers when it comes to creating a cinema experience.

+1

A receiver isn't going to make up for the speakers. If you were to get a receiver I would stick with either Onkyo, Denon or Marantz. The Audyessy thats included (XT or XT32) is better than what comes with the Pioneers. Pioneers don't have a Subwoofer EQ like XT or XT32 does. That can make a huge difference.

For now go with the matching center and surrounds, then go with a newer loaded receiver.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-21-2012, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I suggest that you get the Cambridge Audio 551P receiver. It runs about $1200 and outperforms almost anything costing twice as much for fine sound quality. It is also loaded with features.
It is the ONLY home theater receiver I know of that has low-distortion amplifier circuits that will do justice to those high-quality speakers. It also has all the power your speakers can use.
Read the article on it in Home Theater magazine, available online at their website.
They make it quite clear, I think, that it has the best sound quality (and the most honest power ratings) of any receiver on the market. Most Japanese-brand receivers advertising twice as much supposed "power" actually deliver less when driving 5 speakers, and at higher levels of distortion.
It does!
You can pick up the center speaker later when budget allows.

The review is not too positive. It lacks a lot of features. Sound Quality is important, but in today's receivers I can assume that more feautures are required. For axample: a more advance room callibration.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-21-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 252
The review is not too positive??? Someone needs to read it again!

Quote:

"A TRUE MUSIC LOVER'S RECEIVER'

"IF YOU WANT A CLOSER RELATIONSHIP WITH MUSIC AND MOVIES...THIS AVR WILL TAKE YOU TO THE HEIGHTS"

NOT TOO POSITIVE...?...HOW ABOUT SUPERLATIVE?

I've never heard those kinds of superlatives from them about ANY OTHER RECEIVER (except the discontinued Cambridge 650R).

Its AUDIO performance rating in the article IS FIVE STARS....THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE!!!

As for room correction, what good is it to have lousy sound and distribute it evenly? Lack of priorities! Good sound first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemagics View Post

The review is not too positive. It lacks a lot of features. Sound Quality is important, but in today's receivers I can assume that more feautures are required. For axample: a more advance room callibration.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-21-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:

The review is not too positive??? Someone needs to read it again!
Quote:
"A TRUE MUSIC LOVER'S RECEIVER'
"IF YOU WANT A CLOSER RELATIONSHIP WITH MUSIC AND MOVIES...THIS AVR WILL TAKE YOU TO THE HEIGHTS"
NOT TOO POSITIVE...?...HOW ABOUT SUPERLATIVE?
I've never heard those kinds of superlatives from them about ANY OTHER RECEIVER (except the discontinued Cambridge 650R).
Its AUDIO performance rating in the article IS FIVE STARS....THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE!!!
As for room correction, what good is it to have lousy sound and distribute it evenly? Lack of priorities! Good sound first!

For $1200 you'd be MUCH better off with this

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745T757/NAD-T757.html?tp=179#overview-tab

And for just over half the price you can get the Onkyo 818 or Pioneer SC-1222K either of which would be a FAR, FAR, FAR superior choice for home theater.

If the Cambridge were $400 it would be an OK choice but at $1200 it would be an idiotic one.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #9 of 17 Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

(except the discontinued Cambridge 650R).

That was the one that measured so well. I seem to remember somebody, S&V I believe it was saying that it measured better on their bench test than any other AVR they has ever tested up to that point, or some such similar verbiage.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

For $1200 you'd be MUCH better off with this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745T757/NAD-T757.html?tp=179#overview-tab
And for just over half the price you can get the Onkyo 818 or Pioneer SC-1222K either of which would be a FAR, FAR, FAR superior choice for home theater.
If the Cambridge were $400 it would be an OK choice but at $1200 it would be an idiotic one.

Yep I agree, the Onkyo 818 is great receiver.

This receiver sound quality is way overblown. The speakers, subwoofer, room acoustics, ect all play much bigger role than supposedly good sounding receiver that lacks just about everything one could ask for in a MODERN receiver.

But we're just talking to a wall here though cause he'll keep shilling it and continue at the same time saying how horrible all the other receiver are and that they don't sound good blah blah blah.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 254
^Yep. He seems to think that magazine reviews are the infallible Word of God - and that it's his duty to spread the word.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-21-2012, 10:46 AM

He probably payed MSRP for the Cambridge and is giving us the wrong end of his buyers remorse.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
He seems to think that magazine reviews are the infallible Word of God - and that it's his duty to spread the word.

to the lambs of God, offering them up for sacrifice at the high end alter.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-21-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

To make the decision easier, I will go and listen (and compare) a more detailed amp like the pioneer and a more "music" type of amp like the denon's.

I think it will be the Pioneer lx76 (or a lx85 demo model) VS a Denon 3313CI (The marantz SR7007 is practically the same, but more expensive).

I hope that I can hear the deference. biggrin.gif
post #15 of 17 Old 12-21-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you plan to do this listening comparison?

post #16 of 17 Old 12-22-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I have the chance to try the Rotel RA-12 stereo amp at home. Now I have a good reference how music can sound with the RX-6. To be honest, there is a difference with my cheap Onkyo receiver (TX308), but not as surprising as I would expect (Maybe I was wishing tooo much, reading all the good stories about the stereo amps with music). To be clear, It was very good... but not worth the extra 750,- euro investment.

I will try the SVS SB12-NSD subwoofer... and the MA RX center. I think the effect of the sub and the center is much bigger than the effect of a new amp.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-22-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemagics View Post

.... I think the effect of the sub and the center is much bigger than the effect of a new amp.

I'm glad that is your conclusion. I agree with you.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page