NE Spring Speaker Shootout GTG - Date Poll and Discussion - Page 13 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which date works best for you?
Saturday, April 6th 5 35.71%
Saturday, April 13th 8 57.14%
Saturday, March 30th 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 935 Old 02-13-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Can't wait. I will only be a Sat attendee so hopefully that will be enough. I think it will. Did we put together an order that the speakers will be running? Both sets(full range and and the ones with subs will be running at the same time correct? I have a few that I really want to hear so I hope they will be played before I have to jet.

Mike - Haven't gotten to those details yet, still working on finalizing the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMFamily View Post

As I am on the standby list I am not sure that it matters, but I would be attending both days - provided you would have me of course! wink.gif

Got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Standby please.. biggrin.gif Posted earlier.

Noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead1230 View Post

Count me in for Friday as well. I'll also be taking off from work so can get there sometime in the late afternoon.

First two choices for Friday night in the defense of my crown. tongue.gif Still deciding and looking for what else to bring.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/80696
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/215/84525

-Mike

Both of those seem like excellent selections. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I ain't driving all that way for one night smile.gif Just sayin'

Word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

I'll certainly be there for Friday & Saturday.

Excellent. cool.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 935 Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guys - we will need to decide which room(s) we are using for the testing.

I have (2) main rooms available - my living room and the basement area.

Options: Use one room for full range setup, the other for sub/speaker mix OR all in one room.

Thoughts?

Living room - 20x21x18, wide open, no treatments

Basement area - listening area is 13x22ish, whole area with bar is 13-19' width x 44' depth x 8' drop ceiling. Side wall and corner treatments, and hopefully ceiling will have a bit of treatment by the event as well.

post #363 of 935 Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

OK guys, I went back through the thread and the following will be added to the standby/reserve list:

mcallister
goonstopher
Blackdevil77
ALMFamily

If anyone else wants to be added to this list OR I've missed you in the thread, please PM Jim Wilson as he will be handling this.

Thanks!

Only 60 days left guys!!

Awesome thanks! Even if there is only room for Friday, I have to find a way to hear these speakers before buying something!

post #364 of 935 Old 02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 276
TBH i think finding music that i want to cut down to 45s is harder than building speakers

anyone sent anything in yet?

post #365 of 935 Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

TBH i think finding music that i want to cut down to 45s is harder than building speakers

I know right! 45sec "might" get you through an epic hook/chorus, but seems to cut right into the epic bassline.

Tough, but seems necessary given number of participants.

post #366 of 935 Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post

Awesome thanks! Even if there is only room for Friday, I have to find a way to hear these speakers before buying something!

We will keep you posted for sure, Mr. Craft beer guy. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

I have a few ideas for clips that I'll need to rip down this weekend and send over to Ben. I'm sure it won't be easy narrowing them down to 45 seconds or less. I'd like to send a blend of acoustic, guitar solos, drum solos, and some vocals.

Anyone have any thoughts on which room(s) to use?

post #367 of 935 Old 02-14-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Regarding the room. How are we ordering everything. Are we going to do all the full range speakers first and then the speakers+subs or vise a versa? Or are both listening sessions going to be going on at the same time. If it is one and then the other, then I vote to have everything down stairs since that room is treated and such. If they are going to be run at the same time, then I vote to have the speakers with subs down stairs, since the subs are already down stairs, and the full range ones upstairs, even though it is not treated. We will just have take into account that with the full range speakers, they may not be at their absolute best because the room is untreated. But on the other hand, it will really give us a chance to hear the speaker in a raw environment and that may have its advantages as well. During the sub GTG weren't the big JTR's upstairs? So it may be OK to run one set of speakers upstairs. But again, I think it depends on how the day is setup to be run. Just my thoughts. Such as they are smile.gif.

It ain't easy being green.

post #368 of 935 Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 359
I'd vote for everything downstairs, the layout works better. The room is treated, it's big enough for everyone to mill about, there's that staging area across from the bar, there's a bar!, access to the back patio is a breeze (where the coolers and trash were), there's a bar!, it's darker so less screen glare and there's a bar! tongue.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #369 of 935 Old 02-14-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Jim, I am sensing a theme in your post wink.gif. I agree that I would like it all it one place, preferably downstairs so I don't have to go up and down the stairs anymore then I have to. If we do that, then I guess it will be one style of setup first, then the second style of set up after that. Again, I just don't know how the schedule was prepared. That is why I said upstairs and downstairs. But if push came to shove, I would prefer it all be done down stairs. After all, I want whats easiest for me tongue.gif.

post #370 of 935 Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again, I just don't know how the schedule was prepared. That is why I said upstairs and downstairs. But if push came to shove, I would prefer it all be done down stairs. After all, I want whats easiest for me tongue.gif.

No worries; mobility issues will be taken into account.

There really hasn't been a schedule set just yet, primarily because it's still 2 months away. As we get closer Andrew and I will start discussing the specifics in earnest, but for now we're only tossing out some ideas. Nothing of consequence has really been decided thus far.

post #371 of 935 Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

downstairs works for me as well, itll be interesting where we stage everything, because we have a ton of stuff comming (on paper)

upstairs does have 1 advantage. you dont have to walk down the mud hill

post #372 of 935 Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Basement for me as well. For all the reasons mentioned above, plus the easy access to the outdoors for the smokers.
post #373 of 935 Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

+2 for Friday attendees then. smile.gif I'm sure Bill from Canada will be down as well as popalock.

Count me in for Friday too at whatever time is good for you!!

wink.gif
post #374 of 935 Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmiller View Post

Count me in for Friday too at whatever time is good for you!!

I think at this point the list of people not coming on Friday would be smaller then the list of people who are... smile.gif

post #375 of 935 Old 02-15-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guys - Ben and I have been PM'ing back and forth discussing the setup and clip details.

A few questions for you all:

1) Do we have a volunteer out that that would be willing to help capture the omnimic measurements? It's probably a bit unrealistic for me to assume that I will be present at the laptop in a timely manner each time we're taking measurements so probably best to dedicate one or two of you to take them. If needed I could show someone how to capture them in a few minutes time once we have it set up. I'm thinking Iron Mike might be good fit here. biggrin.gif

2) Ben has access to a Schiit Bifrost DAC and preamp (which we could connect to our amp of choice, of course standardized) which we would use to keep the signal as "pure" as possible for the full range setups. The speakers run with subs would still probably be best/easiest managed with my Denon 4311. Thoughts?

3) We are still thinking 45 seconds is a good limit to each track to keep us from getting bored after listening to each a few dozen times.

4) Would it be simplest to keep video out of the mix and stick with straight audio? If we want to keep the video, we're going to need some volunteers to cut up some blu ray clips.

5) Audyssey? If we do run it, do we limit it to 1-2 positions? Running all positions with our lineup is probably not time realistic.

6) Since we will have such a large group, I would recommend starting some of the auditions on Friday evening. Thoughts?

post #376 of 935 Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1) I would probably have to excuse myself from that duty as well. I get the feeling both you and I will be busy "herding the cats", as it were, just to ensure we stay on schedule. Since you're too nice of a guy to make a fuss though it looks like in the "good cop, bad cop" scenario I have to be the bad cop. Talk about ironic; you're the powerlifter, yet I have to be the muscle? tongue.gif

2) To be honest, I vote for a 'normal' signal chain over a 'pure' one. It seems to me that most people wouldn't go to such an extreme in their own HT system, so if we do that it won't be truly representative of the masses.

3) 45 sounds like it would be workable.

4) If at all possible I'd like to see the video. Visceral seems better then just auditory to me.

5) 2 or 3 should suffice. Perhaps use positions on the couch that was facing the screen, the one over by the bar.

6) I'd like to see how many of us show up on Friday first. If it's 80% then perhaps that wouldn't be a bad idea, but if not then I'd rather wait until Saturday. I don't want anyone being 'penalized' for not being their Firday and missing something they really wanted to hear.

post #377 of 935 Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The Legacy's and JTR's are at the top of my list so even though I am coming only on Sat, I would really like to hear these.

post #378 of 935 Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Guys - Ben and I have been PM'ing back and forth discussing the setup and clip details.

1) I don't mind at all taking the measurements. We can use Friday night to figure out what setup and measurements we want to capture. If there is time, I would also like to compare my mic / meters to your Omnimic and any other mic's people bring along.

2) I agree with Jim on this one. Unless we are going to use two setups, upstairs and downstairs, I think we should keep things as simple as possible for Saturday and not have to worry about switching between the DAC and Denon. Maybe we could do a comparison Friday night.

3) I don't see a good reason to change from 45 second clips for the music. Movie clips may need to be a bit longer.

4) I would also like to have the video. I'm guessing there won't be as many video clips as music this time since we are focusing on speakers. I should be able to work on the video clips. If people send me what blu ray clips they want now, I can start getting them from netflix and cutting them up.

5) We could use Audyssey for the distance and level settings, but I'm still not sure if we want to enable MultEQ during the listening. Might be a good idea to see the differences with one or two pairs friday night.

6) Dont' forget there is always a possibility some speakers may not make it. We could use Friday night to finalize the setup and do 1 or 2 run throughs to see how long it will take for each speaker pair. Once we have a final count and see how long each session takes, we can figure out if we won't have enough time Saturday for all the auditions. Just in case, for anyone that will not be there Friday night, post what speakers would be your top choices to audition on Saturday so we can start to get an idea of the order.

-Mike
post #379 of 935 Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

......If there is time, I would also like to compare my mic / meters to your Omnimic and any other mic's people bring along.....

.....If people send me what blu ray clips they want now, I can start getting them from netflix and cutting them up.......

I can bring along my MXL v69 Mogami Edition tube mic if you want, its flat (except for a bump at 10Khz or so)..... I would have to bring my boom arm/audio interface as well then.

Netflix, redbox, and blockbuster (RIP) sometimes don't have the same pressings of blurays that you buy when you buy a movie. Often one of the main differences is worse quality audio. Try to get them in DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby True-HD. Though, not every copy netflix/redbox etc. of every movie is like this...... millage will vary.
post #380 of 935 Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
5) Audyssey? If we do run it, do we limit it to 1-2 positions? Running all positions with our lineup is probably not time realistic.

6) Since we will have such a large group, I would recommend starting some of the auditions on Friday evening. Thoughts?

That is a good thought, as I have learned recently that Audyssey just doesn't do well with some speakers. I would almost suggest we let the speakers be, and manually enter distance settings. I am just not a big fan of it at the moment.

I like the idea also of auditions starting Friday night, we are going to have so many things to listen to, I don't see anyway to get them all in to a single day. I would however suggest that any of the commercial offerings be done saturday for those who are trying to decide between different sets. Perhaps some of the more similar DIY stuff could be done Friday.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #381 of 935 Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I can do omnimic if no one else wants to,

its prob easier to just run everything off the AVR as most will be using one themselfs.

45 is fine

whatever is easier, i like the videos but have no expirence cutting stuff up

id run without it and just set distances and levels

if everyone is there on friday it would work but if its only like 1/2 than it would not

post #382 of 935 Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

6) Dont' forget there is always a possibility some speakers may not make it. We could use Friday night to finalize the setup and do 1 or 2 run throughs to see how long it will take for each speaker pair. Once we have a final count and see how long each session takes, we can figure out if we won't have enough time Saturday for all the auditions. Just in case, for anyone that will not be there Friday night, post what speakers would be your top choices to audition on Saturday so we can start to get an idea of the order.

-Mike
For me, again, not to slam what anybody else is bringing, these are what I am probably most interested in. I am only coming Sat
JTR speakers - Noesis
JTR Triple 12
legacy focus SE
Andrew's DIY
Now that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to hear the others, but those I think are at the to of my list.

post #383 of 935 Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

For me, again, not to slam what anybody else is bringing, these are what I am probably most interested in. I am only coming Sat
JTR speakers - Noesis
JTR Triple 12
legacy focus SE
Andrew's DIY
Now that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to hear the others, but those I think are at the to of my list.

I thought there were going to be some Seaton Cats there as well ...

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #384 of 935 Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I thought there were going to be some Seaton Cats there as well ...
Yep. Cat 8's. It's not that I don't want to hear them also, because I do. It's just that I have heard the Cat 12's twice already(not that it's a bad thing smile.gif) but I have never heard any of those others. That's all. Not meant to be a slam against them in the least. That was just my personal list. I want to hear as much as I can but if this is going to be a two day event, and I am only going to be able to go there one of the days, I would like to be sure that some of the stuff I am curious about that I have never heard, will be played when I am there.

post #385 of 935 Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK - couple of suggestions that I've stumbled across that many thought were very good:

Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live version of Keith Don't Go
Opening scene from Art of Flight
shootout scene in "Open Range"

I don't own the Nils content, not sure if anyone out there does. I'd be willing to pick up a FLAC or comparable lossless version if it's out there.
Art of flight I own on Blu Ray but have no way to rip it. rolleyes.gif No go on open range but it's been mentioned several times in the JTR thread.

post #386 of 935 Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

OK - couple of suggestions that I've stumbled across that many thought were very good:

Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live version of Keith Don't Go
Opening scene from Art of Flight
shootout scene in "Open Range"

I don't own the Nils content, not sure if anyone out there does. I'd be willing to pick up a FLAC or comparable lossless version if it's out there.
Art of flight I own on Blu Ray but have no way to rip it. rolleyes.gif No go on open range but it's been mentioned several times in the JTR thread.

After seeing many of the same suggestions, I just ordered the nils lofgren cd. So I can rip it in a couple days. I also own both art of flight and open range. Let me know time stamps for art of flight and ill get both of those ripped too.

-mike
post #387 of 935 Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After seeing many of the same suggestions, I just ordered the nils lofgren cd. So I can rip it in a couple days. I also own both art of flight and open range. Let me know time stamps for art of flight and ill get both of those ripped too.

Aren't Open Range and Art Of Flight more inclinded to be subwoofer tests?

post #388 of 935 Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Aren't Open Range and Art Of Flight more inclinded to be subwoofer tests?

We do have a full range category, right?? biggrin.gif Either way, the soundtrack is AOF is pretty cool.

Not to mention we have to put those Cap S2's to work. tongue.gif

post #389 of 935 Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

4) Would it be simplest to keep video out of the mix and stick with straight audio? If we want to keep the video, we're going to need some volunteers to cut up some blu ray clips.

Again, I have both AVS Community authored BluRays and can send you copies tomorrow if you would rather go this route over making your own clips....
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391873/reference-blu-ray-demo-disc-bd9-dvd-dl-media-bd50/0_60
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1283375/home-theater-demo-disc-version-2-0/0_60

Also, I have compiled my 600+ track Bass Buster collection, "In Case Of Emergency, Break Bass" USB thumb drive. Here's a list of tracks:
http://navesink.net/public_html/ICOE-BreakBass.pdf

Obviously I can't provide copies of that but I'll have it with me if interested in skimming it...

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #390 of 935 Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 AM

Liked: 10
One of the tracks used at a different GTG I attended was the first bit of Hells Bells from AC/DC - it was played up through the cymbol crashes.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page