NE Spring Speaker Shootout GTG - Date Poll and Discussion - Page 20 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which date works best for you?
Saturday, April 6th 5 35.71%
Saturday, April 13th 8 57.14%
Saturday, March 30th 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 366
How about something like this - 13 sets below. Not exactly sure what Mark S. is bringing and/or what beast is bringing, but here is what I have:

With Subs
SEOS Fusion 8s
CHT SHO-10s
SEOS Fusion 10s
SEOS Tempests
SEOS Sentinels
JTR Triple 12s
Seaton Cat 8Cs
JTR Noesis

Full Range
Ascend Towers
KRK 10-3 monitors
ARX A5 Towers
SVS Ultra Towers
Legacy Focus SE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 01:11 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 709
I would suggest doing the full ranger's first so our eardrums aren't completely beat-in by the time we got to them. Just by process of this much listening, I would say the fullrange speakers might appear a little "lacking" after listening to a bunch of setups with subs. FWIW

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #573 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

How about something like this - 13 sets below. Not exactly sure what Mark S. is bringing and/or what beast is bringing, but here is what I have:

With Subs
SEOS Fusion 8s
CHT SHO-10s
SEOS Fusion 10s
SEOS Tempests
SEOS Sentinels
JTR Triple 12s
Seaton Cat 8Cs
JTR Noesis

Full Range
Ascend Towers
KRK 10-3 monitors
ARX A5 Towers
SVS Ultra Towers
Legacy Focus SE

+ Whatever Bstyle brings

post #574 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think I'm in!
post #575 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Here is the current track list in order for all those interested. There are two listed with *** and that means if I can get a copy of it that I am happy with it will be added. Also, 4-6 tracks will have to be cut for length, so don't treat this as the final final listing.....
(Let me know if any of these have spelling errors)

Yim Hok-Man - Poem of Chinese Drum - First Selection
Yim Hok-Man - Poem of Chinese Drum - Second Selection
Nickel Creek - House Carpenter
The Postal Service - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight
Styx - Renegade
Nickel Creek - Smoothie Song
Daft Punk - Derezzed
Nils Lofgren - Keith Don't Go
Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have
Pendulum - Hold Your Colour
Delerium ft. Sarah McLachlan - Silence (DJ Tiesto Remix)
Incubus - Just A Phase
[Kaskade] 4 AM (Adam K & Soha Radio Edit)
Amorphis - Sky Is Mine
Billy Joel - The Downeaster 'Alexa'
Dispatch - Hey, Hey
Dream Theater - Take The Time
In Flames - Crawl Through Knives
In Flames - Moonshield
Jonsi - Around Us
Jonsi - Go Do
Kiuas - Thorns of a Black Rose
Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain
Liquid Tension Experiment - Paradigm Shift
Nightwish - Ghost Love Score
Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks
The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die
Tool - Jambi
Underwater Tiger - Rocky Loves Emily
Blake - Nowhere Near
Lindsey Stirling - Moon Trace
Sherlock Holmes OST - He's All Me Me Me
Sherlock Holmes OST - Romani Holiday (Antonius Remix)
Sherlock Holmes OST - Two Mules For Sister Sara
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes - Home ***
5th Element OST - Diva Dance
Tron Legacy OST - Overture ***
Boysetsfire - Rookie
Dave Matthews Band - #41
Dave Matthews Band - Stay (Wasting Time)
Incubus - Echo
Mason Williams & Mannheim Steamroller - Classical Gas
Metallica - Seek & Destroy
The John Butler Trio - Betterman
post #576 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I would suggest doing the full ranger's first so our eardrums aren't completely beat-in by the time we got to them. Just by process of this much listening, I would say the fullrange speakers might appear a little "lacking" after listening to a bunch of setups with subs. FWIW

I'm cool with that and seems to make sense. We'll have to decide as a group either on Friday or Saturday how hot we want to run the subs as well as what our standardized volume setting will be. For the standard sessions we aren't going to be blaring, so hopefully our eardrums can survive for the majority of the day. biggrin.gif
Quote:

+ Whatever Bstyle brings

Yeah man! What'ya thinking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I think I'm in!

cool! will add you in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post

Here is the current track list in order for all those interested. There are two listed with *** and that means if I can get a copy of it that I am happy with it will be added. Also, 4-6 tracks will have to be cut for length, so don't treat this as the final final listing.....

Holy crap we sure have plenty of content! Thanks again for putting this together Ben. I'm sure we'll be able to whittle down that list on Friday with ease.

post #577 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Woo! Major audio geek moment here.
post #578 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

+1

Ben that's a stout list for sure! Thanks again for working your magic man. Looking forward to the preview for sure!

post #579 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 02:24 PM

Liked: 10
Someone really needs to talk ufokillerz into bringing his Yorkvilles. I'm very curious to see how they would stack up to the other speakers.

post #580 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

With Subs
SEOS Fusion 8s
CHT SHO-10s
SEOS Fusion 10s
SEOS Tempests
SEOS Sentinels
JTR Triple 12s
Seaton Cat 8Cs
JTR Noesis

Full Range
Ascend Towers
KRK 10-3 monitors
ARX A5 Towers
SVS Ultra Towers
Legacy Focus SE

I'll be hitching a ride on the "JTR tour bus," aka big red, with Jeff. Since we'll have some room I'll be bringing the red cherry Catalyst 12Cs I had on display at Axpona last month. With these there it is up to ironhead and those listening if you want both in the listening or just the 12Cs. I'll have the optional 2nd DSP program to enable full range response of the Catalyst 12Cs if we wanted to put them in the full range group instead or as well.

Was it decided to do the comparison in the basement?

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #581 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

I'll be hitching a ride on the "JTR tour bus," aka big red, with Jeff. Since we'll have some room I'll be bringing the red cherry Catalyst 12Cs I had on display at Axpona last month. t?

post #582 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 03:29 PM
The Truth Hz

Mark, now THAT I am REALLY looking forward to!!!!
Quote:
Yeah man! What'ya thinking?

Hmm, we shall see what I can fit biggrin.gif Haha

What are we using for amplification for the mains? I could be able to maybe bring the sunfire 7401 which is a very stout 7 channel amp. 400wpc 8ohm, 800wpc 4 ohm smile.gif Not sure if we need it but it wouldnt be that hard to pull it as it is just on a rack shelf right now. Lemme know!

post #583 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
The Truth Hz

Also, If you can find a good copy of that deadmau5 ghost n stuff remix, I would highly suggest that track. probably just the first 45 seconds would be fine but i would have to check. I only have it on iTunes or the art of flight BD disc, or I would offer it up...

post #584 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Beast i have it (the deadmau5 track) and left it off the list as its more of a sub track but if we feel we want it on friday i can cut it on the spot and let Ben work his magic

also we decided to just use Rill's AVR for power as its pretty powerful and most people (not some of us obviously) wont be using high powered amps in their setups

post #585 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 03:36 PM
The Truth Hz

Cool, but the deadmau track would be a killer test for the full rangers I guess. Perhaps we could just use it for them? All good if not...

post #586 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrael44 View Post

Someone really needs to talk ufokillerz into bringing his Yorkvilles. I'm very curious to see how they would stack up to the other speakers.

I'm very curious as well. I was/am seriously tempted to scoop them up for "testing/scientific" purposes. biggrin.gif
Quote:

I'll be hitching a ride on the "JTR tour bus," aka big red, with Jeff. Since we'll have some room I'll be bringing the red cherry Catalyst 12Cs I had on display at Axpona last month. With these there it is up to ironhead and those listening if you want both in the listening or just the 12Cs. I'll have the optional 2nd DSP program to enable full range response of the Catalyst 12Cs if we wanted to put them in the full range group instead or as well.

Nice, Mark! Looking forward to seeing/hearing those beasts. If Mike doesn't mind, it would be great to hear the 8's and 12's back to back. There aren't many places you would get to hear such a comparison in person on the same day.

As for full range / with subs I'm good with whatever you want to do. And yes to the basement.
Quote:

Cool, but the deadmau track would be a killer test for the full rangers I guess. Perhaps we could just use it for them? All good if not...

That's a cool track to listen to anyway, maybe we could throw in 30 seconds of it just for fun.

post #587 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post

Amorphis - Sky Is Mine
Dream Theater - Take The Time
In Flames - Moonshield
Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain
Liquid Tension Experiment - Paradigm Shift
Nightwish - Ghost Love Score
Tool - Jambi
Metallica - Seek & Destroy

Something tells me Sibuna got some picks in!! Nice - love the Moonshield pick and most early In Flames stuff. Jester Race and Whoracle are my favorites. I think I convinced David to sneak 2 Dream Theater clips, 1 Fear Factory, and 1 Within Temptation clip into the Iowa GTG.

Ok, I'll chill we can save that talk for the metal thread.

post #588 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, we shall see what I can fit biggrin.gif

*Cough* LS-6 *Cough* biggrin.gif

post #589 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha, since "we" are having a pair of LS-6 at the Iowa GTG it's only fair if you guys have them too!! smile.gif

post #590 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Something tells me Sibuna got some picks in!! Nice - love the Moonshield pick and most early In Flames stuff. Jester Race and Whoracle are my favorites. I think I convinced David to sneak 2 Dream Theater clips, 1 Fear Factory, and 1 Within Temptation clip into the Iowa GTG.

Ok, I'll chill we can save that talk for the metal thread.

haha i think 50% if not more is all me

post #591 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Sibuna, one of my tracks is DT Lifting Shadows off a Dream. Check from 4:05 to 5:20 and tell me you don't get chills/goose bumps. Love that song.

post #592 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:

Hopefully, I have a few goodies coming on that bus cool.gif

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #593 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

All - We OK to start at 9AM on Saturday? We've got a long day ahead!

How about something like this - 13 sets below.

With Subs
SEOS Fusion 8s
CHT SHO-10s
SEOS Fusion 10s
SEOS Tempests
SEOS Sentinels
JTR Triple 12s
Seaton Cat 8Cs
JTR Noesis

Full Range
Ascend Towers
KRK 10-3 monitors
ARX A5 Towers
SVS Ultra Towers
Legacy Focus SE

If the run time of the clips/music is going to be under 30 minutes why start so early? With 13 setups it should take no longer then 9 hours -- including lunch -- which would mean ending by 6pm. Maybe we should start a little later, so all the people who can't make it that early get to hear most of the stuff. What about 10 instead?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #594 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Damn this sounds like it is going to be an awesome event, excited to hear people's opinions and see all the pics of all the hardware!
post #595 of 935 Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated list:

Full Range
Ascend Towers
KRK 10-3 monitors
ARX A5 Towers
Beast's LS6s? biggrin.gif
SVS Ultra Towers
Legacy Focus SE

With Subs
SEOS Fusion 8s
CHT SHO-10s
SEOS Fusion 10s
SEOS Tempests
SEOS Sentinels
JTR Triple 12s
JTR Noesis
Seaton Cat 8Cs
Seaton Cat 12Cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

If the run time of the clips/music is going to be under 30 minutes why start so early? With 13 setups it should take no longer then 9 hours -- including lunch -- which would mean ending by 6pm. Maybe we should start a little later, so all the people who can't make it that early get to hear most of the stuff. What about 10 instead?

Jim - It's looking like we'll have 14+ setups. Let's assume a half hour listening and 15-20 minutes for placement, setup, and basic calibration and measurements which is probably even a bit aggressive. Add in 30-45 minutes for lunch and some slack time here and there and we've got a long day ahead of us. You afraid of waking up at the butt crack of the morning? biggrin.gif Drive down late Friday night and stay over?

post #596 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha, since "we" are having a pair of LS-6 at the Iowa GTG it's only fair if you guys have them too!! smile.gif

I agree Carp, only fair, right? biggrin.gif

post #597 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

we need to get the yorkviles down as well for a solid 15
because we all know 15 >14

post #598 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Any chance to get a copy of the sounds for our own listening pleasure?

Not now but anytime in the future.

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #599 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 06:15 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:

Quote:

Hmm, we shall see what I can fit biggrin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree Carp, only fair, right? biggrin.gif
Quote:
Full Range
Ascend Towers
KRK 10-3 monitors
ARX A5 Towers
Beast's LS6s?

Dropping suttle hints I see. Haha.

post #600 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

we need to get the yorkviles down as well for a solid 15
because we all know 15 >14

Well IF we had the LS6's it would bring us to 15. biggrin.gif
Quote:

Dropping suttle hints I see. Haha.

Another not so subtle hint above, LOL. biggrin.gif

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page