NE Spring Speaker Shootout GTG - Date Poll and Discussion - Page 21 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which date works best for you?
Saturday, April 6th 5 35.71%
Saturday, April 13th 8 57.14%
Saturday, March 30th 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
I will bring them on one condition. Someone loves them, and decides to buy them so I don't have to bring them back. Lol

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

Any chance to get a copy of the sounds for our own listening pleasure?

Not now but anytime in the future.

working on it.....

I don't have a ton of free time outside of work, so its slow going when we have 30 minutes of content and I can only get 4 or so times through editing.....
post #603 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post

Here is the current track list in order for all those interested. There are two listed with *** and that means if I can get a copy of it that I am happy with it will be added. Also, 4-6 tracks will have to be cut for length, so don't treat this as the final final listing.....
(Let me know if any of these have spelling errors)

Yim Hok-Man - Poem of Chinese Drum - First Selection
Yim Hok-Man - Poem of Chinese Drum - Second Selection
Nickel Creek - House Carpenter
The Postal Service - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight
Styx - Renegade
Nickel Creek - Smoothie Song
Daft Punk - Derezzed
Nils Lofgren - Keith Don't Go
Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have
Pendulum - Hold Your Colour
Delerium ft. Sarah McLachlan - Silence (DJ Tiesto Remix)
Incubus - Just A Phase
[Kaskade] 4 AM (Adam K & Soha Radio Edit)
Amorphis - Sky Is Mine
Billy Joel - The Downeaster 'Alexa'
Dispatch - Hey, Hey
Dream Theater - Take The Time
In Flames - Crawl Through Knives
In Flames - Moonshield
Jonsi - Around Us
Jonsi - Go Do
Kiuas - Thorns of a Black Rose
Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain
Liquid Tension Experiment - Paradigm Shift
Nightwish - Ghost Love Score
Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks
The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die
Tool - Jambi
Underwater Tiger - Rocky Loves Emily
Blake - Nowhere Near
Lindsey Stirling - Moon Trace
Sherlock Holmes OST - He's All Me Me Me
Sherlock Holmes OST - Romani Holiday (Antonius Remix)
Sherlock Holmes OST - Two Mules For Sister Sara
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes - Home ***
5th Element OST - Diva Dance
Tron Legacy OST - Overture ***
Boysetsfire - Rookie
Dave Matthews Band - #41
Dave Matthews Band - Stay (Wasting Time)
Incubus - Echo
Mason Williams & Mannheim Steamroller - Classical Gas
Metallica - Seek & Destroy
The John Butler Trio - Betterman

Wow, what a great track list! Nice work! Must have taken a ton of time to compile all of it.... Thanks for all your hard work Ben. (And thanks to all who contributed to the list!)

Looks like we are going to have lots of amazing speakers too... I haven't heard any SEOS products yet, and not too many DIY speakers in general so it'll be interesting to me to see how they stack up with the commercial offerings.

IMO I think it's going to be difficult to make consistently accurate assessments/ comparisons with so many tracks and so many speakers unless you have "Golden Ears" and a mind like a steel trap for memory... but regardless we are going to have lots of fun! It's gonna be another epic GTG! biggrin.gif
post #604 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I agree, I'm copying this list myself and I have nothing to do with the shootout.

If I may, I recommend the version of #41 from Live at Luther College with Dave Matthews & Timmy Reynolds. Fingers and calluses scraping across acoustic guitar strings are great for representing clear and vibrant midrange.

Another track I might humbly suggest for several reasons, Sting "Desert Rose" from Brand New Day. Wide vocal range, good percussion, great spatial imaging in the mix, good orchestral mix throughout.

Apologies in advance for barging in with comments, these events excite me, however my remote abode prevents me from ever attending one. Fun stuff!

post #605 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 345
andrew may have a supprise set of speakers for everyone next week biggrin.gif
post #606 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

I agree, I'm copying this list myself and I have nothing to do with the shootout.

If I may, I recommend the version of #41 from Live at Luther College with Dave Matthews & Timmy Reynolds. Fingers and calluses scraping across acoustic guitar strings are great for representing clear and vibrant midrange.

Another track I might humbly suggest for several reasons, Sting "Desert Rose" from Brand New Day. Wide vocal range, good percussion, great spatial imaging in the mix, good orchestral mix throughout.

Apologies in advance for barging in with comments, these events excite me, however my remote abode prevents me from ever attending one. Fun stuff!

I don't think anyone has issue with that, especially since both of your suggestions are EXCELLENT reference tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

andrew may have a supprise set of speakers for everyone next week biggrin.gif

UBER MAINS FTMFW!!!!! I knew it!!!! haha

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #607 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

#41 was my suggestion and I would definitely be cool with swapping it with the version you mentioned if Sibuna or anyone else happens to have an extract of that clip handy. Thanks for your input!

The finalized list we come up with should be nothing short of a collection of reference masterpieces to suit almost any musical taste. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

UBER MAINS FTMFW!!!!! I knew it!!!! haha

Well, not quite uber mains time yet, but hopefully something very fun. Will know more over the weekend. biggrin.gif
post #608 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

i thought i cut #41 for you already? must have missed it. no biggie. i can do it again if the Live at Luther College version is better
post #609 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks much for posting the track list - hope you guys have a great time and I am looking forward to some impressions and pictures!
post #610 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i thought i cut #41 for you already? must have missed it. no biggie. i can do it again if the Live at Luther College version is better

Oh yeah, you did - the original album version. I can listen to the live version on spotify to see what's up for now though. biggrin.gif
post #611 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Can we still add optional tracks, I just remembered a KILLER one from the Best of Dire Straights and Mark Knopfler. "What it Is" is an excellent track. Anyone have a good copy of it? 3:50-4:35 is pretty good of the guitar.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #612 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Can we still add optional tracks, I just remembered a KILLER one from the Best of Dire Straights and Mark Knopfler. "What it Is" is an excellent track. Anyone have a good copy of it? 3:50-4:35 is pretty good of the guitar.

ehhhh.... official stance.... please no.... I feared last minute track additions, but I can handle one or two....

but if I happen to have a link to where to download a lossless version of said song, and timestamps - show up in my pm box.... then we shall see
post #613 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

yea I didn't mean to have it be last minute, I just saw it cross my playlist last night and thought, wow, this is a really great song, perhaps folks would agree! Lol. Where are most of you folks findings lossless versions of ANY of this material to download? Also is there going to be a way to get this entire tracklist without having a PC hooked up to your HT system?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #614 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

i own a huge amount of music, which is where a lot of it came from.

you want it on a CD? i can burn it once its all said and done, but that wont help you if you want it before the GTG
post #615 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:

yea I didn't mean to have it be last minute, I just saw it cross my playlist last night and thought, wow, this is a really great song, perhaps folks would agree! Lol. Where are most of you folks findings lossless versions of ANY of this material to download? Also is there going to be a way to get this entire tracklist without having a PC hooked up to your HT system?

You basically have to order the physical cd to get the highest quality, but then it is only 16bit and doesn't have any content over 22 kHz. If you are really lucky the track is available on HDtracks or somewhere similar in 24bit or if you have connections *wink* you have access to masters, or the mixing software originals.

I will provide the mix in flac and mp3 if the flac is too large to download. You could burn it to disc as one large track.... but some quality would be lost as some of these tracks are higher quality than cd can do.....
post #616 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:

i own a huge amount of music, which is where a lot of it came from.

you want it on a CD? i can burn it once its all said and done, but that wont help you if you want it before the GTG

Cool Thanks! Not a big deal if I don't have it before. I am just thinking that after listening to all of these tracks over and over, I will know them quite well, and I would love to take the same quality tracklist and run it through my system to see how it compares in some of the aspects. System for system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post

Quote:

You basically have to order the physical cd to get the highest quality, but then it is only 16bit and doesn't have any content over 22 kHz. If you are really lucky the track is available on HDtracks or somewhere similar in 24bit or if you have connections *wink* you have access to masters, or the mixing software originals.

I will provide the mix in flac and mp3 if the flac is too large to download. You could burn it to disc as one large track.... but some quality would be lost as some of these tracks are higher quality than cd can do.....

The Flac downloaded straight to a harddrive and uploaded to Itunes would work I assume? I do have that capability as I am constantly streaming wirelessly from my Itunes library. I am more just interested in the most high quality I can find. Usually I look for 320kbps or higher if I can find it. I don't even know what the standard download is from Itunes though. I don't have to have it on a disc, I just want the same quality representation of what we will be listening to. I can figure out how to get it to the HT system smile.gif

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #617 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

if i recall Itunes converts to a high quality mp3 when you upload. 256 or higher. Same thing google music does, it converts to 320. not sure what amazon does but im pretty sure none of the services will let you to straight upload and store FLAC files.

ill gladly burn people copies once the clips are final, or thumbdrive which is easier
post #618 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 PM

Also: If you want I can give you a copy of the production files I am using for FL Studio. It is about 800 MB right now and increasing. Probably will be near 1.2 gigs or so when all is said and done.

That would let you, if you installed FL Studio (trial version), to see what we will be looking at at the event at the same time.... though there is a decent amount of setup that would have to happen to work correctly.

For reference, at the subwoofer get-together, we had content totaling 26 GB. Yes that was gigabyte. Uncompressed lossless 7.1 surround audio is gigantic, and that was with all the movie video content stripped out. I gave up trying to find a way to distribute it to everyone that wanted it....
post #619 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm definitely in guys. Andrew is maybe 7 minutes from me so I will be there for sure!

A bit bummed, no Pink Floyd on the playlist?

Not exactly sure of my schedule yet, might head out Friday am and play a round of golf and then head over providing work doesn't get in the way. Since I'm the coach of my son's baseball team we have a game on Saturday afternoon that I have to goto. I'll be there Saturday morning and could return in the early evening if the event is still going on.
post #620 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 PM

Liked: 12
Just got home from Andrew's... He's getting too excited and his wife is a saint for putting up with him.

Check out my room build - DIY Subs, Speakers, Projection Screen
JVC RS46
Pioneer SC-65
SEOS Fusion 10 Pure LCR, Fusion 8 Surrounds
2x DIY 15" Ultimax in Sealed Enclosures powered by iNuke NU6000DSP Amp
post #621 of 935 Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351carlo View Post

Just got home from Andrew's... He's getting too excited and his wife is a saint for putting up with him.

No doubt. Saint indeed.

I'm prepared for epicness...
post #622 of 935 Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

I'm definitely in guys. Andrew is maybe 7 minutes from me so I will be there for sure!

A bit bummed, no Pink Floyd on the playlist?

Not exactly sure of my schedule yet, might head out Friday am and play a round of golf and then head over providing work doesn't get in the way. Since I'm the coach of my son's baseball team we have a game on Saturday afternoon that I have to goto. I'll be there Saturday morning and could return in the early evening if the event is still going on.

i bet if i send Ben a cut from Comfortably Numb he will add it biggrin.gif
post #623 of 935 Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
got a chance to meet Andrew today, have to say, you guys have a great host, sounds like tons of fun down there next week.
post #624 of 935 Old 04-06-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

post #625 of 935 Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351carlo View Post

Ain't that the truth (on both counts). smile.gif

Quote:

i bet if i send Ben a cut from Comfortably Numb he will add it biggrin.gif

I'm sure John would be eternally grateful, heh. I think at this point (after this if Ben allows) though we've got to lock in the clip list for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

got a chance to meet Andrew today, have to say, you guys have a great host, sounds like tons of fun down there next week.

Nice meeting you man! You've got some nice gear/toys around your place for sure. Enjoy them! biggrin.gif
post #626 of 935 Old 04-06-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Couple updates:

-Atrey (avsnoob10) can not make it. Remove Ascend Towers from the list and one spot opens up. Jim - Who is up next? tongue.gif

-Added some epicness to the meet!! Picked up the set of Yorkville Unity U215's from ufokillerz this morning. Cool guy and nice setup! Thanks for the hookup my man. Can't wait to crank these beasts up later on. Looking forward to sharing them with the group as well. biggrin.gif

post #627 of 935 Old 04-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Now my life is complete. Well, the meet at least is. This will truly be a treat for sure!!!!

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #628 of 935 Old 04-06-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Yet another level up...

Awesome. Been wanting to hear the Yorks for a while now...
post #629 of 935 Old 04-06-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

-Atrey (avsnoob10) can not make it. Remove Ascend Towers from the list and one spot opens up. Jim - Who is up next? tongue.gif[

The next victim on the list is ALMFamily. Come on down Joe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

-Added some epicness to the meet!! Picked up the set of Yorkville Unity U215's from ufokillerz this morning. Cool guy and nice setup! Thanks for the hookup my man. Can't wait to crank these beasts up later on. Looking forward to sharing them with the group as well. biggrin.gif

Sustained output of 130dB?! eek.gif We're all gonna die. I see these in Austins future. Those, and maybe something from Jeff or Mark, are probably the only speakers that stand a chance of keeping up with his 'line array' subwoofers (hey Austin you may have invented something new! tongue.gif).

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #630 of 935 Old 04-06-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Sustained output of 130dB?! eek.gif We're all gonna die..

I just burst out laughing when I read this. biggrin.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page