NE Spring Speaker Shootout GTG - Date Poll and Discussion - Page 31 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which date works best for you?
Saturday, April 6th 5 35.71%
Saturday, April 13th 8 57.14%
Saturday, March 30th 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 935 Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
thanks for the fun guys, thanks for being an awesome host Andrew.

I got to listen to all of the speakers, rating them is another matter. I don't do critical listening to 2ch at all, I am a Movie guy through and through. Also, I am two kinds of color blind, can't carry a tune in a bucket, and I am a "bang for the buck" kind of guy at heart. Any of the speakers would have happily found a spot in my home. It's impossible for me to really put a rating on these things at that point.

I hit an open bar party after the shootout, would have been a LOT more fun had I not had to drive 2 hours after it! Definitely wiped at the end of the day. =)

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 935 Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Ok I just went back 5 pages in the thread and I don't see the playlist posted, can someone fill me in?
NM, found it buried on page 11.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1446450/ne-spring-speaker-shootout-gtg-date-poll-and-discussion/600_60#post_23174440

Really digged that Blake track and can't buy it anywhere from what I can telll

Sam Posten
post #903 of 935 Old 04-14-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 276

Dbuudo07 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #904 of 935 Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
can't help but notice, that all the other speakers were placed a lot higher up then the yorkvilles, there is a noticeable null in the yorkvilles, atleast in my ears(in the dispersion pattern)

i noticed that the compression drivers for the noesis and cat8s were higher then the visible gap between the 2 acoustic panels, while the yorkvilles were a lot lower.
post #905 of 935 Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Awesome pictures and feedback!

I noticed that too about the Yorkvilles. Mind you, they may have been too high if placed on the Cat12C stands.

David Budo
post #906 of 935 Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 881
If you look at the last picture of the Yorkvilles just before the picture of the 212HT's it looks like the middle driver is just about even with the top of the S2 sub which is a 40" tall sub. How much higher would you want the Yorkvilles ideally need to be?
post #907 of 935 Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Ear height is usually betwwen 40"-46". The Danley folks always recommend their synergy horns placed above ear height and aimed down at it.

David Budo
post #908 of 935 Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

If you look at the last picture of the Yorkvilles just before the picture of the 212HT's it looks like the middle driver is just about even with the top of the S2 sub which is a 40" tall sub. How much higher would you want the Yorkvilles ideally need to be?

ideally, i would say about 1 ft higher, mainly so that the compression drivers are at about the same height.

with the yorkvilles, i find that sometimes if i stand up or sit on the floor, i get better dialogue then sitting at ear level, i think that has something to do with some sort of null in the dispersion, something i am still working on addressing. might need to elevate my yorkvilles.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #909 of 935 Old 04-15-2013, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Sibuna, great pics in a tough lighting environment!

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #910 of 935 Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

can't help but notice, that all the other speakers were placed a lot higher up then the yorkvilles, there is a noticeable null in the yorkvilles, atleast in my ears(in the dispersion pattern)

i noticed that the compression drivers for the noesis and cat8s were higher then the visible gap between the 2 acoustic panels, while the yorkvilles were a lot lower.

They were not at the same height as the others (lower), but weren't too far off from where they measured best in the room. They were sitting 12" off the floor on the risers in the corners which may not have been obvious from the pics. The Noesis and cats were quite a bit over ear height when seated. I (and many others commented) thought they sounded great, but we didn't push them as hard as the Noesis or Cats. They do have quite a bit more to give off a pro amp as I experienced later on. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

+1, great Job, Adam!

post #911 of 935 Old 04-15-2013, 07:40 AM
Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

They were not at the same height as the others (lower), but weren't too far off from where they measured best in the room. They were sitting 12" off the floor on the risers in the corners which may not have been obvious from the pics. The Noesis and cats were quite a bit over ear height when seated. I (and many others commented) thought they sounded great, but we didn't push them as hard as the Noesis or Cats. They do have quite a bit more to give off a pro amp as I experienced later on. biggrin.gif
+1, great Job, Adam!

I read somewhere that the Yorkvilles were not as efficient as they were rated, which could explain it.

I am happy that it sounds like they did OK vs the big boys, doesn't sound like they were perfect, but hey for the price these can be had, and for the price you paid, you are getting some awesome bang for the buck.
post #912 of 935 Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

Completely agree - nice job Adam. What equipment did you use?

post #913 of 935 Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Nikon D7000, and a portable sun (SB-800 Flash) which makes all the difference. did some lazy mans cleanup in photoshop before i posted it, but nothing much as it was late
Mark took a lot of nice photos as well as someone else whoes name i forget. Hopefully they all get posted up as well

post #914 of 935 Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Did you use a diffuser of some sort as well?

post #915 of 935 Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

yea i use the one that comes with the flash, flash angles like 45 degrees most of the time
http://www.adorama.com/NKSW10H.html - i think thats it, looks the same

post #916 of 935 Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Thanks mate!

post #917 of 935 Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

I have a Nikon D7000, and a portable sun (SB-800 Flash) which makes all the difference. did some lazy mans cleanup in photoshop before i posted it, but nothing much as it was late
Mark took a lot of nice photos as well as someone else whoes name i forget. Hopefully they all get posted up as well

I took about 20-30 pictures, those should be up this weekend. I wasn't the 'official' photographer so tried to stay out of the way! Yours are great Sibuna, thanks for putting them up so quickly. Are these up on flickr?

Re: diffusers. I'm a huge fan of the very inexpensive Honl line, takes a lot of the 'deer in headlights' look out of flash shots. The barn door is $15 and worth every penny. I use the plastic cap that comes with the nikon speedlights along with it, it's a powerful inexpensive combo.
http://www.amazon.com/HonlPhoto-Speed-Barndoor-Bounce-Flashes/dp/B000XB9GUG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1366124643&sr=8-7&keywords=honl

Sam Posten
post #918 of 935 Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

I took about 20-30 pictures, those should be up this weekend. I wasn't the 'official' photographer so tried to stay out of the way! Yours are great Sibuna, thanks for putting them up so quickly. Are these up on flickr?

Re: diffusers. I'm a huge fan of the very inexpensive Honl line, takes a lot of the 'deer in headlights' look out of flash shots. The barn door is $15 and worth every penny. I use the plastic cap that comes with the nikon speedlights along with it, it's a powerful inexpensive combo.
http://www.amazon.com/HonlPhoto-Speed-Barndoor-Bounce-Flashes/dp/B000XB9GUG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1366124643&sr=8-7&keywords=honl

My biggest issue with photos I take now are that I end up with the speakers reflecting the flash so I get a glare from the speaker, and the area of the picture outside of the speaker just seems that much darker. I am using a Canon Rebel XTi, so I think I will look into a speedlight / diffuser combo for it. Thanks for your insight guys!

post #919 of 935 Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are these up on flickr?

no they are not online beised the forum yet. ill get them up on something tonight

post #920 of 935 Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMFamily View Post

My biggest issue with photos I take now are that I end up with the speakers reflecting the flash so I get a glare from the speaker, and the area of the picture outside of the speaker just seems that much darker. I am using a Canon Rebel XTi, so I think I will look into a speedlight / diffuser combo for it. Thanks for your insight guys!

There's no substitute of a tripod and a long exposure!

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #921 of 935 Old 04-16-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

There's no substitute of a tripod and a long exposure!

The tripod I have - but it it very difficult to take it to shows and set it up - space is already so limited for those guys.

Is that picture taken using an external flash as well? And, which lens were you using?

post #922 of 935 Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:

I read somewhere that the Yorkvilles were not as efficient as they were rated, which could explain it.

I am happy that it sounds like they did OK vs the big boys, doesn't sound like they were perfect, but hey for the price these can be had, and for the price you paid, you are getting some awesome bang for the buck.

Yorkvilles are in my top-3 list for the day, and performed very close to Noesis (Noesis had slightly more detail at crazy volumes).

They are incredible speakers. I strongly recommended Andrew to sell his DIY speakers and to keep Yorkvilles. They are so much better!

I would recommend them in a heartbeat to anyone for both music and movies.
post #923 of 935 Old 04-16-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:

ideally, i would say about 1 ft higher, mainly so that the compression drivers are at about the same height.

with the yorkvilles, i find that sometimes if i stand up or sit on the floor, i get better dialogue then sitting at ear level, i think that has something to do with some sort of null in the dispersion, something i am still working on addressing. might need to elevate my yorkvilles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

Yorkvilles are in my top-3 list for the day, and performed very close to Noesis (Noesis had slightly more detail at crazy volumes).

They are incredible speakers. I strongly recommended Andrew to sell his DIY speakers and to keep Yorkvilles. They are so much better!

Personally, the Yorks failed to impress me. Granted, I didn't hear them with the external amp hooked up, but I found them lacking detail. Perhaps I was in this null that's being talked about, but I wouldn't put them in league with the Noesis based on this listening session - not even close.

My thoughts at the end of listening to the Yorks was that they were a great PA speaker that would elevate the SQ in 95% of the bars out there, but would never come into my home.

Given the disparity of opinions though, it is certainly possible I was in that null.

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #924 of 935 Old 04-16-2013, 01:32 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Personally, the Yorks failed to impress me. Granted, I didn't hear them with the external amp hooked up, but I found them lacking detail. Perhaps I was in this null that's being talked about, but I wouldn't put them in league with the Noesis based on this listening session - not even close.

My thoughts at the end of listening to the Yorks was that they were a great PA speaker that would elevate the SQ in 95% of the bars out there, but would never come into my home.

Given the disparity of opinions though, it is certainly possible I was in that null.

That must be it. I was standing behind MLP which also compensated for the height difference.
post #925 of 935 Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 375
It's always interesting to hear everyone's opinions and how much they can vary based on personal preference and/or listening position - sometimes drastically. IMO these opinions shared with others make these events so valuable to us! Even if not ideal, I had a blast hearing all these different setups back to back this weekend.

I also enjoyed the Yorks a heck of a lot. So much so that I'm going to keep them around for a while and try to find a matching center. biggrin.gif Originally I had picked them up just to demo and share with the group. I can tell you guys with them set up and EQ'd in my room they give off almost a 3 dimensional sound in my room at the LP.

post #926 of 935 Old 04-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:

The tripod I have - but it it very difficult to take it to shows and set it up - space is already so limited for those guys.

Is that picture taken using an external flash as well? And, which lens were you using?

The lens is a basic 18-55mm kit lens. I used no artificial light, just a long exposure. The camera is a Sony a57. A nice, light carbon-fiber tripod with a ball head is the least obtrusive setup, but yeah it's something that gets in the way, ultimately. I just don't do flash, since just about everything I shoot (professionally) is inanimate.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #927 of 935 Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

https://plus.google.com/photos/117078880283894341953/albums/5867654804077794033?authkey=CIudo4ep1Nn-wgE

post #928 of 935 Old 04-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

Wouldn't you like some Danley SH50 speakers for your home? The are a so called "PA speaker".
post #929 of 935 Old 04-17-2013, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-8 View Post

Wouldn't you like some Danley SH50 speakers for your home? The are a so called "PA speaker".

Who is Danley?

Just kidding, I'm well aware of the Yorks lineage. smile.gif

The SH50 doesn't have a null problem like the York does since it is 100% point source.

The SH50 is, IMO, the pinnacle of speaker design - but I've never heard them. So believe me, I had VERY high expectations for the
Yorks.

But that doesn't change what I heard, at my listening position, at the gtg.

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #930 of 935 Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As always, "follow the light". If you are getting bad reflections, move off axis! If you shoot at a flat surface virtually 100% of the white light you are blasting at it is going to come back at you. So.... reflective surfaces are going to reflect! Shoot at those flat surfaces at a roughly 45 degree angle and bingo you are in business. Use FEC or Flash exposure compensation to ensure you have the right amount of light and shoot manual. Experiment and have fun!

I 'knew' with 25+ folks in there there was no chance of me bringing a tripod with me. Little did I know there'd be 3 in the room before I even got there. Oh well. If I was going to do this for reals I'd set the camera on tripod, in manual and adjust until I got the picture on screen balanced right. This would put the rest of the room in the frame in almost complete darkness. Light the room with 2-3 off camera speedlights using Nikon's commander mode if you have an onboard flash (the D4 doesn't) or preferably pocketwizards. But that wasn't my goal for the day, I was just there to relax and have fun and take few pics to supplement what others were doing.

As an aside, I REALLY was kicking my own ass for not having a tripod with me later in the day. I went to a charity event at the Mellon building in Philly after leaving Andrew's and a friend of mine got his brother who works there to get us access to the 61st floor roof. No walls around this area, just a single strand of steel wire between you and oblivion. What an absolutely awesome view of the city. And there I am having to try to handhold shots with no tripod in the pitch dark. So what can you do other than brace your camera on the very wire that is between you and the edge?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/8649598448/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/8649598678/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/8649598568/in/photostream

Thanks, I'm not a big Google+ user but I +1ed and shared the one pic of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

The lens is a basic 18-55mm kit lens. I used no artificial light, just a long exposure. The camera is a Sony a57. A nice, light carbon-fiber tripod with a ball head is the least obtrusive setup, but yeah it's something that gets in the way, ultimately. I just don't do flash, since just about everything I shoot (professionally) is inanimate.

Cool shot! My carry around is the NEX-5n, I definitely appreciate the portability of that little guy over my workhorse DSLRs and yeah, I have a table top tripod that would have worked well in this situation with that camera. Next time! I probably coulda used that on the roof too, but I'd have been worried about it blowing off too =)

Sam Posten
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page