NE Spring Speaker Shootout GTG - Date Poll and Discussion - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which date works best for you?
Saturday, April 6th 5 35.71%
Saturday, April 13th 8 57.14%
Saturday, March 30th 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 935 Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I am convinced that the pro amps can be exactly as good as solid-state 'hifi' amps but I'd be pleased to be shown otherwise. I no longer look at amps as a source of additional 'refinement', current is king... but that debate rages on. I won't need an amp for my speakers, fwiw.

In my experience in my setups the pro amps have always sounded awesome. I just want to be sure if someone (owner or a vendor) is bringing their high end gear they feel that they are well equipped to properly demo their equipment. Some of the speakers listed have mid to high 80DB sensitivity which will for sure suck up some current.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

My XPA-3 is available but is only 2-300 wpc. you have something with similar power upstairs as well IIRC. Ive heard the JTRs off your amp and they really dont need more power :P not sure about the line arrays.

I do have my Acurus upstairs which I could move around depending on what room we wind up using. If I recall it's rated at 200 8 ohm, but was quite a bit underrated from the factory. I used to power my 86db sensitive electrostatics to full tilt with no issues or audible distortion at fairly aggressive levels. Like I said, I don't anyone to feel shorted though which is why I asked. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 935 Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Guys - Does anyone feel that we should be using a 'hifi' amp in light of the higher end speakers like the Line Arrays and Legacys in lieu of my EP4000?

No, the worst sounding thing about the EP4000 is its fan which can be easily managed by putting the amp on the other side of the main speakers or in a closet or different room.
post #93 of 935 Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

^^ Agreed, Jimbo!!

I owe you one now monkey man!

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #94 of 935 Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Don't have a lot of time right now to type up my thoughts, but needless to say I can't wait.

So, for now aside from music/movie content we need some freq sweeps.

I am thinking each sweep needs to go from low->high->low and play perhaps twice.

One sweep to go across the bottom end of the full ranges. (For speakers to be played with a sub, this should be across the crossover freq)
One sweep each to go across common crossovers (or specific crossovers if they line up nicely) for the multi-way speakers.

I also want to put small sound bites like "Clip 2, Clip 3, Clip 4" to go along with a cut sheet of what we are listening to. That way everyone can correlate easily.

Same deal as last time, send me the music you want to hear in lossless format if you are able. (We have to have this done before hand, there won't be enough time otherwise)

For video clips if we want to see the video along with the audio, I have to work on how to do that and keep it as streamlined as the last event........... will let everyone know when I have it figured out.

For now, video clip suggestions, and a way for me to get them are welcomed.

Then once we have all the suggestions, we can vote on which ones to hear and how long each should be.... I think longer clips and less of them for this event would be better.

(Letting you all know, I won't be able to post/comment for the next 2 weeks due to traveling for work.)
post #95 of 935 Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

No, the worst sounding thing about the EP4000 is its fan which can be easily managed by putting the amp on the other side of the main speakers or in a closet or different room.

Mine is fan modded so a non issue. biggrin.gif

Ben - sounds good, we have plenty of time to lock down content. I would definitely vote for audio plus video this time. cool.gif
post #96 of 935 Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansboston View Post

I also have some concerns on how the A5s (Sans sub) will sound with certain material like frequency sweeps... especially when they will directly be compared to speakers that are better equipped to handle lower freq.
Just thinking out loud...
I was curious to see how they compare cost and specs wise:
Looking at the list so far, here are the others listed as full range, along with their website/ most common MSRP and specs that I could find from their respective websites: (Owners and others, please chime in and keep me honest here)

2) Imagic, Mark - Xploders (full range) ?? DIY.. but with the components that Mark described I'm sure they will have no problem running full range!
6) avsnoob10 - Atrey - Ascend towers (full range) $1898 (Black Matte) or $1998-$2098 (other more premium finishes) before $700 RAAL tweeter upgrade Typical In-Room Frequency Response 34Hz - 27kHz ± 3dB Frequency Response (Anechoic) 41Hz - 28kHz ± 3dB
7) Rush2049 - Ben, KRK 10-3 monitors (full range), DJ! $499 each, $998 total Frequency Response:31Hz - 20kHz
10) mhrischuk - Mike, legacy focus SE (full range) $8750–$9250 (depending on finish) Freq. Response (Hz, +/-2dB): 18-30K
13) Ryansboston - Ryan, Arx A5 towers (full range) $749 Frequency Response: 45Hz-22kHz +/- 3dB Low Frequency cutoff: 37Hz -6dB
What do you guys think of the Freq. response capability differences? Of course the material will determine how much this comes into play, but am I setting myself up for a poor comparison here? (Not worried about cost differences, more worried about freq response)

It's difficult to compare specs because the manufacturers use different methods to formulate the numbers. In some cases you'll find the numbers to be - um, let's say "optimistic". Output capability also comes into play so the listening level chosen could be an advantage for some systems or work against others. For instance I would expect the Legacy to easily outperform the Arx based on size and cost; however, the Arx might do well within those two constraints if judged only on its' own merits. Room interaction is a factor too and sometimes can actually work against a speaker with greater bass extension.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #97 of 935 Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Got it! Look forward to you joining us, Wayne. cool.gif

Thanks for allowing me to attend!! Its shaping up well with some pretty interesting custom stuff so I will have my earplugs in tow eek.gif .

My better half is a self proclaimed dessert queen lol !! but its good stuff!! so I will bring a couple sweet treats once we get closer and can narrow down any other details or additions.
post #98 of 935 Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Thanks for allowing me to attend!! Its shaping up well with some pretty interesting custom stuff so I will have my earplugs in tow eek.gif .

Both Andrew and Austin are fearless, which makes things interesting. Jeff Permanian from JTR is also going to be attending -- who actually makes those other two look like amateurs -- so earplugs are absolutely mandatory. Trust me... wink.gif

But see if you can get the attenuating kind, not just the foam ones. I use the Etymotic ones myself, but I'm sure there are others.

post #99 of 935 Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Both Andrew and Austin are fearless, which makes things interesting. Jeff Permanian from JTR is also going to be attending -- who actually makes those other two look like amateurs -- so earplugs are absolutely mandatory. Trust me... wink.gif
But see if you can get the attenuating kind, not just the foam ones. I use the Etymotic ones myself, but I'm sure there are others.

I think even I will be wearing earplugs this time around, especially toward the end of the day. biggrin.gif

It's official, the date is Saturday, April 13th. Woo!
post #100 of 935 Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I guess it's time to get my hotel accommodations and airline tickets.
post #101 of 935 Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Count me in. Sounds like quite the adventure.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #102 of 935 Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:

I think even I will be wearing earplugs this time around, especially toward the end of the day. biggrin.gif

+1

If I can make it out, I'm actually looking forward to some critical listening at low/moderate levels to spot the subtle nuances between each offering. Given the primary focus at the last GTG was subs, I don’t think we gained much benefit when we employed this technique (85db music listening), especially since the Cat 8c's were sounding so good with every sub offering. Moderate listening should hopefully be a different story this go around…

Don't get me wrong, of course I am looking forward to touching 140db with the Noesis, but even I plan on bringing ear plugs for the fun stuff! I say 140db, but they aren't mine, so I won't have the remote this go around…lol

post #103 of 935 Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-8 View Post

I guess it's time to get my hotel accommodations and airline tickets.

Might as well. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Count me in. Sounds like quite the adventure.

Great! Looking forward to meeting again, Mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

+1
If I can make it out, I'm actually looking forward to some critical listening at low/moderate levels to spot the subtle nuances between each offering. Given the primary focus at the last GTG was subs, I don’t think we gained much benefit when we employed this technique (85db music listening), especially since the Cat 8c's were sounding so good with every sub offering. Moderate listening should hopefully be a different story this go around…
Don't get me wrong, of course I am looking forward to touching 140db with the Noesis, but even I plan on bringing ear plugs for the fun stuff! I say 140db, but they aren't mine, so I won't have the remote this go around…lol

Agreed, it will be nice to focus on details rather than all out blast fest for the majority of the day. Earplugs will be on hand for the full tilt sessions. biggrin.gif

also - I will see what I can do about getting in some time on Friday night as well. I think the wife said something about leaving Friday afternoon to go out of town for the weekend. Last time we ran into some WAF issues with the noise later on Friday evening, heh. We will have to avoid that this time around. biggrin.gif That should give us a few hours to do some additional experiments for anyone interested or in town then.
post #104 of 935 Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 1619
Totally. That's the name of the game. Looking for imaging, transparency, nuance, and of course dynamic reserves. I was doing just that last night. No earthquakes, just sublime music that you get lost in.
Quote:

+1

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #105 of 935 Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 61
April 13th. Can't wait. It should be another great day. I am really looking forward to checking out these other speakers. This time, when we get to the silly portion, I will be wearing the ear plugs for sure.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #106 of 935 Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

post #107 of 935 Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gentlemen - we are currently at 22 guests, 3 more available as of now. cool.gif

Can we fast forward to April?
post #108 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 AM

Liked: 10
This could not have come at a better time for me as I am going to be in the market for a new set of speakers come spring!! biggrin.gif

Andrew, you can count me in to bring whatever (food/beverage)!!

Wayne
post #109 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I am really looking forward to this GTG and the attendees' impressions. This is going to be the GTG of the year. smile.gif Hmm...how far is the drive from WI to NE? biggrin.gif

Is Mark Seaton bringing product or just attending?

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #110 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I am really looking forward to this GTG and the attendees' impressions. This is going to be the GTG of the year. smile.gif Hmm...how far is the drive from WI to NE? biggrin.gif

~14 hours give or take depending on where you live http://binged.it/WrcDio
post #111 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am really looking forward to this GTG and the attendees' impressions. This is going to be the GTG of the year. smile.gif Hmm...how far is the drive from WI to NE? biggrin.gif Is Mark Seaton bringing product or just attending?

Hitch a ride with Mark... smile.gif

post #112 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hitch a ride with Mark... smile.gif

Hmm - good call. I'll chat with the wife tonight and see if I can attend. Is this invite only or is it cool?

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #113 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:

Man, this would be a great addition to the dozens of speakers that you have auditioned!

Quote:

Prototype Cat 15c's?
Prototype Seaton Osmosis?
Prototype Seaton Abyss?

J/K!

I better be careful...that's how rumors get started...

post #114 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm - good call. I'll chat with the wife tonight and see if I can attend. Is this invite only or is it cool?

Open to all members, but due to space constraints I'd like to limit us to 25 heads if we can so everyone has ample room, etc. We are currently at 22 so if you're interested definitely let me know. BTW you should hook up with Carp and/or Archaea and make the ride out. Let me know man, it will be a blast!
Quote:

Man, this would be a great addition to the dozens of speakers that you have auditioned!
Prototype Cat 15c's?
Prototype Seaton Osmosis?
Prototype Seaton Abyss?
J/K!
I better be careful...that's how rumors get started...

I heard there will be 3 way Cat 18's (Cat 12 top end attached to a Terraform XL cabinet). LOL. Kidding of course....I think?
post #115 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Indeed it would! smile.gif
Quote:

Open to all members, but due to space constraints I'd like to limit us to 25 heads if we can so everyone has ample room, etc. We are currently at 22 so if you're interested definitely let me know. BTW you should hook up with Carp and/or Archaea and make the ride out. Let me know man, it will be a blast!
Much appreciated! I'll chat with the wifey late tonight (she's working a 2nd today) and should know by tomorrow. Thanks!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #116 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW you should hook up with Carp and/or Archaea and make the ride out. Let me know man, it will be a blast!

Is Jonathan coming? I didn't see him listed. If so, I'll have to get a different beer. Can't serve the same thing twice.

post #117 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is Jonathan coming? I didn't see him listed. If so, I'll have to get a different beer. Can't serve the same thing twice.

Just shot him a PM to see if he's down for a trip out. It would be cool if he could come out with Carp, Mr. Smithers, etc.

And for the record there is nothing wrong with bringing #9 again. biggrin.gif
post #118 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, you have me listed as a "co-coordinator". I prefer to be known as a co-conspirator instead... biggrin.gif

post #119 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, you have me listed as a "co-coordinator". I prefer to be known as a co-conspirator instead... biggrin.gif

Done!
post #120 of 935 Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Andrew,

Man I can't say yes.....yet....so don't count me towards the total population of 25. I need to take this hobby a bit slower this year. My wife gave me the stink eye when I mentioned the most recent event in IA. She has this tradition where we get a family ornament for the Christmas tree that represents what we did as a family that year. (beach trip, fishing outings, new child, whatever). This year she said she was going to buy a subwoofer ornament, and she didn't say it fondly. I took note that normally the ornament represents what we collectively did, and this year she threatened to make it reflect what I did..... redface.gif

I went to seven full scale speaker/subwoofer meets in 2012 in six states (Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Kansas) , and attended or hosted a BUNCH of smaller, but still organized g2g's in KC area with the local gang. It was a blast, but since four of those meets were in the last three months - I'm thinking I might need to wait a little while before asking about the next one.

2012 KC Blind Meet (subwoofers)
2012 Wisconsin Meet (speakers)
2012 Iowa Home Theater Tour
2012 KC Blind Meet (speakers)
2012 PA Meet (subwoofers and speakers)
2012 Omaha Home Theater Tour
2012 KC Speaker Meet in the Park

and then the first in 2013 on Jan 5 in Iowa this last weekend comparing Salk and JTR with dual JTR S2's on sub duty!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/871474/ia-meet/3460_20#post_22789496

None the less, I'll mention the idea to the KC gang and see if there is any interest in a road trip.

edit ---- PM sent to the main host/attendees of the KC, Omaha, and Des Moines groups to ask about interest. -- this hobby is addicting. biggrin.gif

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page