post #31 of 31 Old 12-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post

You are close to answering your own question. The hks tend to have higher instantaneous current reserve and as such can have the more dynamic, relaxed, and musical sound. Look for high instantaneous current capacity by finding the 4 ohm rating, if there is one. If it's heading toward doubling the 8 ohm rating, you've identified this kind of engineering.
As for your original question, speakers can have distinctive personalities with regard to power. For example, a pair of otherwise acoustically-similar speakers - a pair of differing 6.5" 2-ways, for example - can favor significantly different program material and typical use depending on their relative technologies. The model emphasizing very linear magnetic motor behavior, light moving assemblies, and close electrical coupling to the amplifier can dig deeper into the finest details and therefore have you listening at lower levels, whereas the model with very high thermal capacity and higher internal mechanical control tends to need to be driven harder to sound more "comfortable" with the more dynamic material at the loud end of the scale. In this thread CDLehner mentions the Dynaudios and their preference for oodles of current.
Lastly, I had another conversation this week with a reviewer who, like me, has preferred smaller amplifiers for their alive, natural sound over the same brand's large amplifiers. Big amps may conceal their apparently louder personality behind lower dynamic contrasts - behind a less open, less transparent overall character. This is another influence on the system's overall dynamic character, perhaps in ways be inversely related to where you'd like to be.
Some combinations can really transcend the limits of boxes connected to boxes with wire - some start making real music in your space and others leave you finding what I think you just have. The only to uncover them is to experiment...

I have wondered the same thing for a while and this is the best answer to this question that I have ever seen! Some of this I actually understand and some is for sure over my head. I do agree with the point of some speakers needing a "break in" period. I have experienced this first hand with multiple pairs of speakers. One of those pairs being a pair of Swans from Jon...For as good as they sounded right out of the box, they got BETTER...Bottom end tightened up and the top end opened up considerably and the mids seemed to become more focused... A wonderful pair of monitors for sure. I can say almost the same thing about a couple of pair of Dyns as well. The first pair of Dyns I had(Focus 140s), I had never even heard of speakers needing a "break in" period...So my conclusion was MY OWN without prejudice. YMMV

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page