Help! which center speaker? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I'm brand new to the forum and also looking to get the correct center speaker for my set-up.
Currently listening primarily to music and to cable tv with a pair of B&W DM603 S3's for L and R, and a newly purcased SVS PB12-NSD sub. Now I'm looking for a decent center speaker and don't have much knowledge about what I should consider.
Any advice is welcome and appreciated!!
Thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 243
The Cambridge S50 is an excellent center speaker, and very compact.

I recommend it.

Some people get center speakers that are too large, with the mistaken idea that it should have large drivers like the front speakers. Not true.

The S50 has 4-inch drivers which are perfect for the 120-3000 Hz range, which is where you want the center speaker to operate. IMO the center speaker should NOT put out any bass at all if you want dialogue and midrange clarity.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.
....and these would match up well with my current 603 S3's? I was told to stick with same manufacturer......not true?
I do need clarity, as I often have difficulty understanding some dialoge on many tv programs.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I was just reading a post a couple of days ago where someone was complaining about a B & W center speaker that he said was terrible and "boomy".

I have 3 different friends that have used the S50 with various speakers and love it. It's forte is just what you want; excellent midrange clarity.

The idea that you get a center speaker to match the front speakers by just getting the same brand is bull. Just getting the same brand is not the same as matching. They seldom are really matched.

If the manufacturer specifically says "this speaker has been MATCHED to these speakers by our engineers" , that is one thing. They almost NEVER tell you that, and they are almost never truly matched as a set.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailgator View Post

Thanks for the quick reply.
....and these would match up well with my current 603 S3's? I was told to stick with same manufacturer......not true?
I do need clarity, as I often have difficulty understanding some dialoge on many tv programs.

You should definitely stay within the same manufacturer and product line. Commsysman is posting his usual misinformation regarding center channel speakers which has been debunked on AVS numerous times.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny how you can go to two different churches and get two different sermons, isn't it.

If you want to believe that my experienced opinion is "misinformation" and bf is preaching the true gospel, that is your choice. It's a free country. Pick any preacher who suits you.

"Debunking" would imply some sort of definite proof that something is wrong. He has no such proof and never will. He has only his opinion, as I have mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

You should definitely stay within the same manufacturer and product line. Commsysman is posting his usual misinformation regarding center channel speakers which has been debunked on AVS numerous times.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Funny how you can go to two different churches and get two different sermons, isn't it.
If you want to believe that my experienced opinion is "misinformation" and bf is preaching the true gospel, that is your choice. It's a free country.
"Debunking" would imply some sort of definite proof that something is wrong. He has no such proof and never will.

All the OP has to do is look up your posts on the subject and the follow up debunking - there are dozens of examples, so no need to repeat them here. Or look at the Dolby (or DTS and THX) standards for channel reproduction.

Science isn't the same as church - I'm not a big believer in faith based audio reproduction.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Then why should anyone believe that you are the true and infallible Prophet, and those who disagree with you are always wrong? Faith?

There is certainly no "science" to back up your opinion. You offer nothing; not surprising since it does not exist.

Blustering and implying that "science" is on your side does not give your opinion any credibility, so it really is kind of a useless tactic.

I offer my opinion, and do not try to say that others must be wrong if they disagree. I usually have considerable experience in the matter or I will not offer an opinion in the first place, but that is my call.

biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Science isn't the same as church - I'm not a big believer in faith based audio reproduction.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^

They aren't my claims, they are Dolby, DTS, and THX's. What do they know?

Sailgator, a few thoughts:

The generally accepted ideal speaker configuration is to have identical speakers all around to provide timbre matching and a coherent pan across the speakers. Given that this isn't realistic for most rooms, manufacturers began to manufacture centers and surrounds that while physically smaller provide very similar sound reproduction via the use of drivers matching the mains. Adding a completely different set of drivers in and sound characteristics into the mix is not likely to be an improvement (and that's being generous). You wouldn't use a different brand of mains for the left and right channels for the same reasons.

Limiting the response of the center channel is also going to result in a degraded listening experience. Dolby Digital is specced as 20hz- 20khz for all channels and there is content below and above 120hz-3000 in the vast majority of music and movies. Why would you want to knowingly choose to not reproduce what's included on the disk by the artists and engineers? Taking the 120hz example and assuming that like most, you cross over your speakers at 80hz to avoid bass localization, why abandon 80hz-120hz? And why entirely ignore everything over 3000khz?
post #10 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I agree with most everything you say and see the logic for staying with the same manufacturer. However, I did stray from that advice with the sub and am very pleased with the result.
I guess my question now is: what B&W model center speakers are complimentry to my DM603 S3's.
Which models would be appropriate....current ones? older ones?
LCR600 S3 I've seen mentioned, but can't find any.
How about the current HTM61? I've found a couple of these preowned, but I must be sure they are compatible.
HTM62?

Regards.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hope you enjoy the sub you bought from me. There is also B&W section under speakers where you can ask about what is best.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #12 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailgator View Post

Thanks for the input. I agree with most everything you say and see the logic for staying with the same manufacturer. However, I did stray from that advice with the sub and am very pleased with the result.
I guess my question now is: what B&W model center speakers are complimentry to my DM603 S3's.
Which models would be appropriate....current ones? older ones?
LCR600 S3 I've seen mentioned, but can't find any.
How about the current HTM61? I've found a couple of these preowned, but I must be sure they are compatible.
HTM62?
Regards.

Sorry, not familiar enough with b&w to make a specific recommendation. Fortunately, the sub is the one speaker where it isn't advantageous to stay within the same brand due to its function. I believe the vast majority of members who use a consistent set of speakers are using sub(s) from other manufacturers. Most of the best available subwoofers are manufactured by companies who focus on subs and not speakers.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I see this is an old thread so I'm assuming you have purchased something by now. What did you go with? I was in the same situation when shopping for a center to go with my B&W CDM7s. I auditioned B&W's matching center and the Definitive Tech C/L/R 2500 personally I thought the 2500 blew away the matching B&W center. Voices were much clearer and the small amount of bass I let through increased the fullness of the sound by a huge amount. I am pretty sure the timber doesn't match perfectly but I never notice it at all. Sound going from left to right never draws my attention as being different through the travel. My bass amp in the 2500 has gone out so I'm in the market again. I'm strongly thinking of getting the Definitive Tech CS-8080SD which is basically todays version of the 2500. I am also considering the B&W CM Centre 2 as it is a much different speaker than what they had when I was auditioning them.

Steve Ruddy
post #14 of 14 Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I did wind up with the B&W LCR600 S3 center speaker and am very happy with it. I'd say it "completes the picture" while viewing tv. So now I have L, R, and C and wish that my viewing/listening room were conducive to rear speakers. Alas, it is not, but I'm happy anyway.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page