Question and Suggestion about new 5.1 speaker for basement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-26-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my townhouse was pre-wired in the basement for speakers. There are 2 prewired junction boxes on both the left and right walls. I ordered two sets of Polk RC65I speakers that I plan to have installed in the wall in those 4 spots.

My questions are:

1. Are these decent speakers? Will the fact that the 2 front speakers are on the side walls rather then front facing me cause issues?

2. Can someone recommend a front speaker? And if so should I install the front speaker on the wall to or should it just be a moveable one? I see the Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker is on sale, would that compliment my side speakers?

3. I currently have a old Sony Sub. Would it make sense to replace that too, it seems to give off enough base that I need to turn it low to prevent it from shaking the house (ha ha).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-01-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
just a guess, but your pre-wired boxes may be the side surrounds and rear surrounds. The front 3 speakers would be wired directly to the a/v receiver with in-room wiring. Maybe ????
post #3 of 5 Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure they were doing the 7.1 system in 2001. smile.gif I think they originally wired the TH just to have some nice audio in the basement.. Anyways I ended up just having 2 front and 2 rear speakers installed on the existing boxes (using front and rear channels.)

Now I just need to get a decent center channel and sub that dont overshadow. the inwall speakers.

Anyone use the Polk TL2 Center or TL1 Center speaker and can recommend it? I'll just be sticking this center speaker below the TV on the TV stand.

For the Sub I was looking at the PSW111 or PSW108. My basement is pretty small so it don't need to be shaking the whole house.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
watch for a sale on the PSW505 sub....it's far better than the low end Polk subs....can usually be found around $200.

if budget is a big concern, take a look at the "Dayton" brand subs from Parts-Express. http://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95?sort=pasc

is your a/v receiver a 7.1 model, or a 5.1 model ? The reason I asked is on a 7.1 receiver, the first surround speakers (i.e. 5.1) are usually marked as surround and the true rear speakers (added in a 7.1 setup) are marked as "rear". Just a matter of terms.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll take a look. My receiver is a 7.2 (its an Onkyo TX-NR708. The rear speakers are listed as surround, because they list Surround Back for the extra 2)
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page