how much $ is too much for speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have been into audio gear for nearly forty years now. I have two grown children, it's just me and my wife at home. I make what most people would consider a good living. Not talking mega bucks but doing fine. I am going to expona in Chicago in March, always wanted to go to a show like that. One of the stops thats high on the list is the Legacy Audio room. They have a new model that has me very impressed (on papaer, havent heard them yet.) They list for $16,900. I thought to myself "don't listen to them, what if you feel like you have to have them" Audio/video is my only true hobbey. I don't spend much on anything else. Just curious if any of you that make a decent living would even consider laying out that kind of cash for a pair of speakers. I already have a very good amp so I'm covered there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Sure. My situation seems pretty similar to yours. If its something you can do without serious long term damage to your financial position, why not?

Particularly now when you probably have some time in your life to enjoy them regularly.

Edit: those Legacy speakers DO look nice.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I make a good living, but most of my money goes towards raising my kids. When I'm an empty nester, I expect to go into full midlife crisis mode (sports car, 30K home theater upgrade, etc). smile.gif Creating the best HT experience you can on a modest budget is a fun pursuit in its own right, so I have no complaints.

I also think you eventually reach a point of diminishing returns, but if you have the means I say go for it.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Liked: 13
By no means to do I make enough to spend 17k on a set of speakers. Regardless,with what I have heard with my own ears, you could have correct speaker placement with room acousticsand it will sound absolutely unbelievable. If you have a system that runs you 4-6k and is set up correctly, it will sound much better than a 16k system set up incorrectly.

Anyways, I know I didnt answer your direct question, but I think I would spend my money on room acoustics and a professional installment that buying 16k speakers. But hey, its your money and your hard earned work that made that money, so you do what ever you want to do. I would love to hear them set up correctly though. I bet they would be incredible..

EDIT***

After reading that it sounded like I came off in a negative way. I was not trying to. I was just looking at it from my view which was not your original question. You said specifically "If you have the money to do it" and I kinda didnt take that into consideration. Im sure if you had the money to buy 16k speakers, you would have the money for them to be set up perfectly. smile.gifsmile.gif
post #5 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisu7582 View Post

By no means to do I make enough to spend 17k on a set of speakers. Regardless,with what I have heard with my own ears, you could have correct speaker placement with room acousticsand it will sound absolutely unbelievable. If you have a system that runs you 4-6k and is set up correctly, it will sound much better than a 16k system set up incorrectly.
Anyways, I know I didnt answer your direct question, but I think I would spend my money on room acoustics and a professional installment that buying 16k speakers. But hey, its your money and your hard earned work that made that money, so you do what ever you want to do. I would love to hear them set up correctly though. I bet they would be incredible..
EDIT***
After reading that it sounded like I came off in a negative way. I was not trying to. I was just looking at it from my view which was not your original question. You said specifically "If you have the money to do it" and I kinda didnt take that into consideration. Im sure if you had the money to buy 16k speakers, you would have the money for them to be set up perfectly. smile.gifsmile.gif

I would have them look at a floor plan of the space to see if would work well in the room with proper setup. One of the unique features of the speakers that I'm reffering to is that have dsp correction on board. I would also have to see how that would work because I already have xt32 on my pre/pro. Believe me, I'd have to be 100% sure these things would make me cry (in a good way) to lay out that kind of cash for two wooden boxees.

LINK http://www.legacyaudio.com/products/view/aeris/

post #6 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Liked: 13
Those are very, very nice looking speakers. I was waiting for it to ask for my credit card just to look at that website. LOL
post #7 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
my opinion is, if you have the money and you think the value is there and you want them, then buy what you want.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #8 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just curious which model you are referring too? Also thanks for mentioning Axpona (note spelling). I'm in Chicago area, so this sounds like a cool thing to attend. I'm going to hear some Salks from a guy in the area tomorrow and I see they also will be at this show.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #9 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Just curious if any of you that make a decent living would even consider laying out that kind of cash for a pair of speakers.
I wouldn't, and I design speakers for a living. The law of diminishing returns sets in around $2k per speaker, seriously so at around $3k each. Beyond that what you get for the extra spent is more bling than bang.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the correction, it is Axpona. I attached a link in my second post, I am referring to the Legacy Aeris.

post #11 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Well if audio is truly your passion, and you have so much free time, why not get even deeper into the hobby beyond just buying super expensive gear?

The world of building, and eventually designing your own speakers can occupy the rest of your life with satisfaction at the end of every project. You could spend a 1/8 of your $16k budget to put a decent wood shop together

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?219617-The-Speaker-Building-Bible
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page