$5,000 budget for new speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm finishing my basement and turning the family room into more theater than family room. I was dead set on the Aperion Verus Grand Towers, Center, and Bookshelf's for surrounds. I have no wall space to mount dipoles so I'll be ceiling mounting bookshelf's. I read that the VG are better for music than for home theater. I will use it mainly for movies, some gaming and very little music. I'm looking for some opinions. Are the VG better for music? What are some other alternatives that are more HT focused? I was looking at the Paradigm Studio 100's. They are obviously much more expensive, but what kind of street price can I expect? I already have a SVS PC13-ULTRA sub to pair the speakers with. I would like to stick around the price of the Verus Grand speakers, but would be willing to go up to around $5,000. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You will definitely want to look into the Klipsch Reference series for home theater. For subs, I highly recommend HSU. With your budget here is what I rsonally would go with

Klipsch RF-82 ii system, which can be had for about $3000

http://www.klipsch.com/rf-82-ii-home-theater-system

And for subs, I'd go with dual HSU VTF-15

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #3 of 12 Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
I would (and did) chose Paradigm S2's with a sub over Studio 100's (price is similar).
You don't mention room dimensions or listening volume.

At $4k I know of no better sounding a set (L/C/R) of speakers than the Salk SongTowers with the Raal ribbon tweeters and matching center. Though I would expect the Philharmonic 2's to be comparable in many ways.

You can then pair with a decent but inexpensive set of surrounds.

I don't have real experience with the VG's.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked: 16
I have owned Paradigm Studio 60 and CC-590 both v5 for very short time and currently own Ascend Sierra towers and matching center with RAAL tweeter and between those two Ascend sounds better than Paradigm in every way in my opinion, of couse this is my biased opinion because I own Ascends now but as I mentioned I have owned Paradigms also. You can get standard finish Ascend LCR setup with RAAL for around 4k.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 238
IMO, great sounding speakers will sound equally great with music and movies in most homes and at most comfortable volumes.

Of course, the best thing is to audition before you buy.

But if you can't, I think you would be quite happy with many brands in this price range - Salk, Ascend, KEF, Revel, Focal, Dynaudio, B&W, Klipsch, DefTech, NHT, etc, just so many.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I just got some JTR Triple 12 speakers and am blown away by them. Now granted I've only had them hooked up for a day now lol, and only have the front 3 (LCR), but they are incredible.

I have heard Klipsch RF7's, B&W CM9's, Salk SongTowers, Golden Ear's, and Paradigm speakers (all in the same range you are looking at spending) and these blow them out of the water.

I found the JTR's in your range used, but brand new they will be over budget. But the Triple 8's are supposed to be great as well, but I just decided if I'm going to spend that money for new Triple 8's, why not get the Triple 12's used for near the same price?

Now granted I've only watched like 2 hours of movie clips so far, but my basement sounds like, if not better, than an actual movie theater, and this is without the surrounds hooked up. I'm much more of a movie person than music though, so i haven't heard how music sounds on these yet other than some club/house types of songs, which sounded great.

I went to sleep last night with a grin on my face and had one for 2 hours straight while watching various movie clips from the Reference Demo discs.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 AM

I have also been planning a speaker upgrade with a similar budget. Lots of great options at that price point.

Locally I have auditioned Klipsch RF-7 II and KEF R500 speakers. Klipsch seems to be available online for quite a bit below MSRP so an RF II system would be well within your budget. The KEF R500 with R600c center and R100 surrounds would be right around $5000. I was impressed with the KEF speakers, they did a great job on music and I preferred them to the Klipsch. The RF-7 IIs handle bass very well which probably isn't surprising based on their size and weight, but since you already have a capable sub that may be less relevant in your case (I just picked up a PSA XS-30, so I'm in the same boat). I am planning on doing an in-home audition of Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL upgrade. My final choice will be between the KEF and Ascend.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-27-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpo1977 View Post

I have also been planning a speaker upgrade with a similar budget. Lots of great options at that price point... I am planning on doing an in-home audition of Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL upgrade. My final choice will be between the KEF and Ascend.

I would be very interested in hearing how that goes!
post #9 of 12 Old 12-28-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have also been planning a speaker upgrade with a similar budget. Lots of great options at that price point.
Locally I have auditioned Klipsch RF-7 II and KEF R500 speakers. Klipsch seems to be available online for quite a bit below MSRP so an RF II system would be well within your budget. The KEF R500 with R600c center and R100 surrounds would be right around $5000. I was impressed with the KEF speakers, they did a great job on music and I preferred them to the Klipsch. The RF-7 IIs handle bass very well which probably isn't surprising based on their size and weight, but since you already have a capable sub that may be less relevant in your case (I just picked up a PSA XS-30, so I'm in the same boat). I am planning on doing an in-home audition of Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL upgrade. My final choice will be between the KEF and Ascend.

When do you think you will be doing the in home audition? Those Ascend look very interesting. A neighbor has some AV123 speakers with electrostatic tweeters and they sound amazing.

post #10 of 12 Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Soon. Will try to place the order for the Sierra Towers tomorrow if possible, otherwise next week. I will post my impressions once I've listened to them.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Since I had some time I thought I would post a cad drawing of the basement and post some more info. The speakers will be powered by an Emotiva XPA-5. I like listening to movies loud, but not reference levels. Right now I have a single PC13-ULTRA, but might add a second if I feel like the room needs it. The home theater area is about 3,200 cu.ft. When you add in the rec room and game room, it comes up to 7,200 cu.ft. Right now I'm leaning towards the Sierra Towers and Horizon, possibly with the RAAL upgrade, but I'm not sure yet. Does the RAAL provide any noticeable benefit in a home theater application? I saw somewhere that the Aperion Verus Grand towers should be 4' from a back wall and 3' from a side wall. Do the Sierras have the same requirement because of the back port? That's seem awful far. What does everyone think about using Triad InWall Silver/4 speakers and ceiling mounting them? My fiance isn't crazy about the surround speakers hanging off the ceiling. That's news to me, but that's what she said today.rolleyes.gif Any other suggestions for high quality in ceiling speakers for surrounds?

Thanks for the input so far guys! It's given me a lot of options to look at.

post #12 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Soon. Will try to place the order for the Sierra Towers tomorrow if possible, otherwise next week. I will post my impressions once I've listened to them.

Sounds great. I look forward to hearing your opinion. Will you be able to do any comparisons with home theater use also or just music?

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page