Need help building a high quality sound system! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-28-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all,
just purchased a 60" Samsung plasma, and have now begun my research in to a custom home theatre system. NOT one of those all-in-one kits from best buy, i have one and its horrible.
i refused to hook it up to my new plasma, it would be degrading to the telivision wink.gif

So, couple things.
Im not to farmiliar with all the brands of the higher end speaker companys.( b&w,paridigm,theil,etc..)
can someone list some of these high end products brands from me, that is recommened
i dont know intend to spend 10k on a system, probably closer to 3-4k.

Also some of the receivers i like are the Harmen Kardon, Marantz, Denon.
which of these do you suggest?

Im thinking probably start of with a good receiver 2 front channels, and Sub, then build with the Center and rears.

do i need an external amp in addition to the receiver to drive speakers?
processor?

i have built a system a few years ago which sounds nice:
Harmon Kardon receiver w/ Boston Acoustics fronts, center and Sub. (midgrade models)
is that more of an average sound system?

I want to step up to the next level of fidelity, but not the level of breaking the bank!

thanks, sorry for the many questions in advance! i will have more, im sure of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 PM

Can't go wrong with some delicious Klipsch reference
this is the RF-42 series

I'd look for some used ones, you save money and they're broken in already.

Denon and Klipsch make the best couple in my opinion.
I'd go with the AVR-1913 receiver for it's low harmonic distortion.

You didn't mention if you're doing 7.1 or if you plan on having a second or third zone.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
How large is your room? How far do you sit from the speakers, and is this mostly for home theater, or do you listen to 2 channel music?
post #4 of 24 Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

a nice 5.1 is what im going for. Mostly Home theatre/blu-ray, HD satellite) Some music. room has 15ft. cathedral ceilings,wood floors, and its roughly 20x25. i would see the seating area is probably 8-10 ft. away from TV

hope these specs help.. i assumed with the ceiling height, etc... it would make my speaker/reciever selection more difficult to get an ideal sound.

Im not a fan of tower speakers, because i plan on doin ad large entertainment wall. with bookshelf speakers L/R and center over the TV on upper shelf. I would do the towers on either side of entertainmnet center, but they might be too far apart? the entertainment center is about 10 ft. wide. ( too far? ) '; whereas the bookshelf speakers would be on either side of the TV in the shelving of the cabinet wall. (ideal?)

also any comments on some of the questions of my original post?
thanks
post #5 of 24 Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM

Liked: 12
Ur design can be done but I believe u may have some off axis tweeter lose. You may have to angle all the speakers downward a little bit depending on which ones you get.

I do personally recommend towers. They are just better overall on sound quality and construction and should only be used for rear fill(surrounds) and its extreme space situations. How about building the whole wall out or doing in wall speakers?
post #6 of 24 Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM

I like Denon CI, integra and marantz receivers. Some other u can get great deals on are Sony onkyo and Yamaha. I am kinda partial to receivers with audyssey multiEQ XT but im also still in the learning phase of whether or not It should be a defining decision on purchase. Given the room build I would defiantly go the audyssey route and get a receiver that supports multi EQ XT at the minimum.
Do u plan on covers the floors with carpet or a rug? I would.

Go audition some speakers. But the LCR at the same time if possible. But at the very least make sure they all come from the same line of speakers. You could also try Aperion grand verus speakers. They let u audition tem in your home for 30 days I believe.
Some other names I might consider in your price range (which is my price range also) is focal, rbh, psb, monitor RX line (currently own but not partial to them, not sure if they pack enough mids), Dali, canton, kef.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

i have a rug. I am a fan of Devon receivers as well as Marantz. what about B & W speakers?

after reading the forums, i understand the in wall speakers are a last resort in building a quality system. although i may have to do that for the rear surround only..

for now, i just want to focus on the 3 Front speaker and receiver. my catherdral ceilings angle down to about 10ft or so similar to this shape /``\ do i need speakers with deeper lows to prevent a stage like sound?

http://www.entertainmentcenterspot.com/Parker-House-Venezia-VEN610-5WS-Entertainment-Center-1-L.jpg

this is the wall
post #8 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

bump
post #9 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I have found Klipsch to be a love it or hate it type of speaker. For the money...I am not a fan. PSB, W&B... Can't really answer that big of question...you have to go listen listen listen.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 AM

If you want bookshelf, I recommend polk audio, either the Polk Audio LSi7, or the TSi200 for room filling sound. But you have to go out and listen to them first before making any decisions
post #11 of 24 Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggman08 View Post

bump
Focal is nice
http://www.musicdirect.com/search.aspx?searchterm=focal

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #12 of 24 Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 PM

what about Dynaudio? they have some good speakers you might enjoy.

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #13 of 24 Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Sierra towers from ascend acoustics. (Well really depends on your room size and such). Also, good inwalls aren't bad at all if they are designed right. Talk with Paul in the Triad Speaker thread for more info.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #14 of 24 Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, so if i did the in-wall route for my rears, would it be recommened that they are at ear level on either side of view area, as opposed to behind or above the viewing area?

For some reason i have never been a fan of polk audio. I have had lackluster experience with some of there Car Audio. just one of those things.
post #15 of 24 Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

bump
post #16 of 24 Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
First, do a thread search for HT budget 3-4K. There are tons of threads just like this. Your need for external amplification really depends on the speakers you choose along with the listening levels. Most AV receivers at 100-140 WPC should be fine for your application. Nobody can tell you what "better fidelity" is. You must decide that for yourself with your own ears by auditioning in home or at the B&M stores. Start with a quality sub and a decent receiver and then search out various speaker options. Take your time. As far as your set up goes, i would personally go with towers for that space. If your listening position is 10' from the screen, your towers will also be around 10' apart. This is what you want. Toe them in a litlle (check dolby site for speaker placement recommendations). Audition, audition, audition. Everyone's preferences are different. Don't let others decide what you should like.
post #17 of 24 Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggman08 View Post

i have a rug. I am a fan of Devon receivers as well as Marantz. what about B & W speakers?

after reading the forums, i understand the in wall speakers are a last resort in building a quality system. although i may have to do that for the rear surround only..

for now, i just want to focus on the 3 Front speaker and receiver. my catherdral ceilings angle down to about 10ft or so similar to this shape /``\ do i need speakers with deeper lows to prevent a stage like sound?

http://www.entertainmentcenterspot.com/Parker-House-Venezia-VEN610-5WS-Entertainment-Center-1-L.jpg

this is the wall

Your statement about inwalls as a last resort in building a quality system???

I will respectfully disagree my James Loudspeaker Baby Grand Concerto's rock the house and the neighborhood. Matched with my 82 SDX rear then the EMB1000 and the 1 10" honeycomb subwoofer in each Baby Grand powered by the James M1000 sub amp. Its sweet music to my ears... smile.gif

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
post #18 of 24 Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

sorry i wasnt specific, by in walls im talking about the in walls in my budget range. The higher end (triad, etc.) type in walls i here are amazing. But not so much on the low/mid range products
post #19 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

bmp
post #20 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Salk Sound
Revel
Kef
Paradigm
Def Tech
PSB
Klipsch
Monitor Audio
Atlantic Technology
JBL
Boston Acoustics

It's tough not being able to listen before you buy, but do what you can to find at least a few to hear. Otherwise check around for local owners of the brands you're interested in.

As for power, it depends on how much the receiver can put out and what the sensitivity and impedance of the speakers are. With that said, more power can't hurt. smile.gif You can always start with a receiver that has preouts, then add an external amp down the road.

What subwoofers are you looking at? Check out SVS, HSU, Rythmik and Outlaw.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #21 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 AM

Liked: 15
Heya, thought I'd chime in. Personally, I've had a lot of success with Paradigms. At your budget, you'd be looking at the Monitor range.
http://www.paradigm.com/products/products-by-series/monitor-speakers

If you've got the space for floorstanders, I'd go with that. They're going to sound better than speakers which are stuffed into cabinets, and as mentioned above, 10' is fine if you're sitting 10' away. The guidelines I've seen are usually between 55% and 100% of the seating distance. Especially with a center to keep voices centered on the tv, I wouldn't worry too much about that. The Monitor 7 should be fine, since you're getting a sub. If you're set on bookshelves, the Mini Monitors are very good too. Just be careful with placement, you don't want a lot of acoustic reflections messing things up.

Assuming you have room for the Center 3, and that you go with the on-wall surrounds that match the set, you should end up around $2000 for speakers.

For a sub, I'd probably consider a Rythmik: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html
or SVS: http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb12-nsd
as good value, entry-level subs. If you find that that's not enough bass for your room, they're cheap enough that you could easily add a second one later on.

That'd then leave around $1000 for a receiver. I don't think you'd need an external amp, and in any case, that's an easy thing to add in later on if necessary. I'd take a hard look at the Anthem MRX 300, which should be right around that price. It's got pretty solid room-correction, which can help a LOT for a mixed-use room, with cabinets and odd corners and such. It's what I've got right now, and it makes a pretty big difference.
http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/a-v-receiver/mrx-300

In any case, that's just my opinion based on the things I've liked. At least it might be a place to start for you. Have fun! :-)
post #22 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I think some NHT Classic 3s across the front or a pair of the 3s and the matching center if you can't have a vertical center.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #23 of 24 Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 PM

Liked: 14
I have two neighbors that use Paradigm speakers and they sound good. If they fit your budget that would be a good choice.

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
post #24 of 24 Old 12-16-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

to rebirth an old thread of mine.

I have just began building my system.

After alot of research, i decided to go seperates. I purchased the Emotiva UMC200 pre/pro and the Emotiva XPA5 amp. 300x5@4ohm wink.gif all channels driven, need i say more.

anyhow, now i am in the market for a good LCR and sub, and this amp has all the power needed for pretty much any tower out there. any thoughts?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page