Replacing B&W MM-1 PC speakers with? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So after using the B&W MM-1 PC speakers for a week, they are going back to BB.
I found the sound stage very small, mid-range frequencies were often "muddy", and instruments & voices lacked separation.
Not only do the MM-1s produce the "white noise" that other have heard and wrote about, I also noticed "electronic pitches" coming though the speakers, almost like an electronic keyboard was playing notes from low to high frequencies. This was always present when the MM-1s where powered on, regardless if they were playing music or not. But with no music being played, the "electronic pitches" were easier to hear when sitting 2 feet from the speakers.

Now comes the question about what speakers to use for replacements. At first I was thinking about going the route of separates with B&W 686/685/CM1 speakers and an integrated amp, but people say that's not a good idea since those speakers aren't near-field.
So far I've been recommended going with AudioEngine A5+ and the Airmotive 5, as both are around the same $399 sale price, or even the more expensive Adam A5X at $1000. One thing I don't like about these 3 speakers is the lack of a headphone out.

Since none of those are sold locally (South FL), I can't try them out first, and would have to buy on-line with trying them at home.
My sound card is a Creative Labs Audixy 2ZS Platinum that supports 24-bit/192Hz, so don't think I'd really need or benefit from an external USB DAC.

Has anyone tried and done comparisons between three speakers, or can recommend something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 499
There are many book shelf monitors out there for $500 that can be used in near-field. You'll need a separate amp or receiver however. A pair of the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SEs would fit the bill ($298 on sale) and you could pair them with an Onkyo 8255 stereo receiver ($170) or even the Emotiva mini-X a-100 ($179).

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 3 Old 12-28-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 537
I would look at the Focal 705V speakers - they are really nice
http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/34398

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30