New speaker recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a gift for the holidays, the Pioneer SC-61. Clearly time to upgrade from our 15 year old 2 infinity tower speakers.

Budget: around $1000

We own: 61" samsung hdtv, pioneer sc-61 and a nice sub woofer, so no need to upgrade that.

Room specs: around 20'wx15d with wall to wall carpeting. TV is on a 14' wall, since the room has a vaulted ceiling. Couch is 3/4 back with a standard height ceiling behind. To the left of the TV is a sliding glass door and to the right the room is basically open to the kitchen area (no vaulted ceiling in kitchen).

I've been browsing the boards, and will continue to tally from other recommendations as well, but how would you spend the money on speakers? I'd say I use it 50-50 with TV and music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Look at Focal
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/focal/results/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks - clearly haven't shopped in a while, what do you like about these in particular?
post #4 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljauss View Post

Thanks - clearly haven't shopped in a while, what do you like about these in particular?

Based on the Focal speakers that I have owned - the sound is refined, smooth and overall
balanced, with good detail and definition - for good imaging and soundstage presentation.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Sorry just divorced and now married to Paradigm. Look into studio series. The studio 10 V 5 are right at your price range. Check the reviews and then go and listen.

Joe
post #6 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 PM

Liked: 38
Very nice new receiver you got. The SC-61 has the new Class D3 amps and are 4 Ohm stable. So you have the power to drive quite a few different brands of speakers with no worries.

So how did you like your Infinitys? Are you looking for the sound of the Infinitys but in something more current and updated? Or are you searching for a sound entirely different? What type of tweeters did the Infinitys have? Soft dome, metal dome, or ribbon? Are you partial to this type? Each type of tweeter has a distintive sound. What kind do you prefer? See what I am driving at.

Speakers may be the most difficult of all components to recommend. We all have preferences in what type we prefer. I for example, prefer dynamic, full range towers with soft dome tweeters. They sound smooth and laid back to me vs a more lively, bright speaker. A grand is a substantial investment to make in a pair of speakers. If you can, start audioning different types and zero in on the sound that you prefer. If you can't audition due to lack of availabilty, then you have no choice but to seek recommendations. Jim Z made a real good one with the Focal 814v. Besides the sonic attributes he describes, they are also $1800 a pair speakers marked down to $779! That may be the best part to like. Believe me, the discount is genuine as these do truly sell for close to $1800 at other dealers. They are a steal for well respected, high quality speakers and not bad to look at either in that beautiful piano black finish.

I still suggest though you spend time listening to a variety of different designs first if you can. Good luck.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #7 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the replies!

Just looked up the model speakers we have currently. They are the Infinity OVTR-2, and a Sunfire SuperJunior Subwoofer, and considering it's all we've had for ages, they're perfectly adequate. We have small kids and don't play movies at booming decibels these days. So perhaps, the move to make for now is a center and bookshelf or something else wall mountable for behind our couch.

So many choices!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page