Have I blown my Klipsch RC-7 center speaker? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was watching Saving Private Ryan on DVD (DTS version). I had it loud, -5 db. During the opening battle scene when Tom Hanks gets "stunned" and everything sounds muffled, I can hear a buzzing sound coming from my right RC-7 woofer. If I lower the volume, the tone changes, and if I continue to lower the volume, it goes away. I can only hear the buzzing during this part of the movie. However, it may be because the rest of the movie has loud clear sounds. I watched this part on my Sony HTIB and could not hear the same sound during the same part of the movie.

I also ran the AVIA bass-management test on the center channel and could hear the same buzzing from the same woofer. It is not a loud buzzing but can be heard at the listening position when the volume is loud.

Note that when watching a movie, you cannot hear the buzzing throughout the movie, only at certain parts. Does this mean the RC-7 is having some problem with only certain frequencies? Is it blown?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

I was watching Saving Private Ryan on DVD (DTS version). I had it loud, -5 db. During the opening battle scene when Tom Hanks gets "stunned" and everything sounds muffled, I can hear a buzzing sound coming from my right RC-7 woofer. If I lower the volume, the tone changes, and if I continue to lower the volume, it goes away. I can only hear the buzzing during this part of the movie. However, it may be because the rest of the movie has loud clear sounds. I watched this part on my Sony HTIB and could not hear the same sound during the same part of the movie.
I also ran the AVIA bass-management test on the center channel and could hear the same buzzing from the same woofer. It is not a loud buzzing but can be heard at the listening position when the volume is loud.
Note that when watching a movie, you cannot hear the buzzing throughout the movie, only at certain parts. Does this mean the RC-7 is having some problem with only certain frequencies? Is it blown?

Take the problem speaker, swap it with one of your other speakers, and have a listen. Are the speakers set to "small"? Are you using a sub-woofer?

Espo77
post #3 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I swapped my front-left speaker's wire with the center speaker's wire. Same results with the left woofer buzzing on the RC-7 at specific times.

All speakers are set to small and I am using a subwoofer.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

I swapped my front-left speaker's wire with the center speaker's wire. Same results with the left woofer buzzing on the RC-7 at specific times.
All speakers are set to small and I am using a subwoofer.

Well that pretty much says it all. You took the problem speaker to another channel and it continues to bark back at you. Time for service. If it is out of warranty you can contact Klipsch directly for help and or parts. I recently called them regarding parts for an old pair of their speakers. The guy that spoke to me was very helpful, and gave me a particular part number for reference.

Espo77
post #5 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 68
You can get a replacement driver from Klipsch at a surprising low cost. I replaced a driver in my RF-5 (which I think is the same in the RC-7) for $70 including shipping. Very easy to change. Part number is 120841. Call 800-554-7724 and follow the prompts to parts.

post #6 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

I just checked the Klipsch website and the drivers are identical in the RC-7 and the RF-5. it is K-1083-SB.

post #7 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all your help!

I will contact my local Klipsch dealer for the replacement driver.

By the way, any guesses as to what led it to be blown? I am using a Harman Kardon AVR 8000/8500 A/V receiver that outputs around 110 watts x 5. The RC-7 is rated at 200 watts RMS and 800 watts peak. Was it clipping? I usually watch movies very loud. By the way, I've been using these speakers (they were bought brand-new) since 2004.

I've read that clipping is only harmful if you are clipping an amplifier that is more powerful that the rated power handling capability of the speaker. Meaning, if you clip a 100 watt amplifier with a 200 watt speaker, no damage will be done but if you clip a 200 watt amplifier with a 100 watt speaker, damage will be done.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you.

post #9 of 13 Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just because you didn't exceed their power rating doesn't mean you can't blow them. Overexcursions on the woofer will damage the woofer over time. Just like bottoming out a subwoofer, this happens from playing too loud for too long! It is fun to play your stuff loud, but eventually you damage things generally. Your stereo can't last forever.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

I've been told that if you gently push on a speaker cone and you hear/feel some scraping, chances are that the driver is blown. The Klipsch RC-7 as two 8" woofers. The right one (the one making the buzz) seems to be making a very faint scraping sound when I push on it. If I push the left one (the one that seems to be fine), I hear/feel no scraping. Does this conclude that the right one is blown?

Secondly, is it possible for a blown driver to only show its "faults" at certain frequencies? I was under the assumption that a blown driver would sound bad all the time, regardless of the frequency range.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post

You can get a replacement driver from Klipsch at a surprising low cost. I replaced a driver in my RF-5 (which I think is the same in the RC-7) for $70 including shipping. Very easy to change. Part number is 120841. Call 800-554-7724 and follow the prompts to parts.

I sent an e-mail to my local Klipsch dealer here in Dubai, UAE asking for a replacement driver for the RC-7. They replied saying that they don't have any in stock and would have to check with the factory. I then got an e-mail saying that all supply of this driver has depleted and is no longer available. I then e-mailed the Parts Department directly from the information on the Klipsch Web site last week and have yet to receive a response.

Meanwhile, I started searching online for the driver and I think I found it. On the Klipsch Web site it says "K-1083-SB" for the driver in the RC-7. I found this:http://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/brands/klipsch-rc-7-8-speaker/

Is that the driver I am looking for? If you look at the picture of the rear of the driver, it says "K-1083-SV" instead of "SB."

Then I found this: http://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/brands/klipsch-rf3-k-1083-8-woofer/

Even though it says it is for the RF-3, it says "K-1083-SB" just like the specs on the Klipsch Web site for the RC-7.

What should I do? What is the difference between the two drivers?
post #12 of 13 Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

I think they are actually the same driver. I know the Klipsch driver number is K-1083-SB.

post #13 of 13 Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I bought a RC-7 driver from here: http://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/brands/klipsch-rc-7-8-speaker/

It appears it was the last one they had and won't be getting anymore of the K-1083-SV. They say it has been replaced with the K-1083-SB which is non-shielded.

However, the new driver is slightly a different color/shade than the original driver. Is this something to worry about or is it normal?

Lastly, the driver that was replaced due to it buzzing at certain frequencies, actually buzzes/rattles when I tap the woofer or the rubber surrounding of the woofer. Any explanation for this? Is it actually blown or is something just loose?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page