Home theater speaker selection - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-31-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help! I am in the process of choosing equipment for a home theater/entertainment area. It will be used for 80 percent movies, 20 percent music. I am not an audiophile but would like the system to sound good. The room is 17x45x13. The couch is about 14 feet from the tv which is mounted over a fireplace. My budget is $6000-$10000. I was considering def tech mythos 10 for lcr, gem xl x4 for surrounds, 2 Hsu VTF-15h subwoofers, and denon 4311 receiver. I have grown skeptical of the on walls but I am limited with center channel options due to the tv mounting. Please give any ideas as to what you would suggest. I am open to on walls and floor standing, although my wife would prefer on walls. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-31-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Movies.

4 meter listening distance.

45' room.

I admit I'm a bit of a fanboy of late: but given the architectural constraints (your need to go on-wall for your center) and your desire for high fedility (which shies away from on-wall fronts) and the fact that you've not indicated if your surrounds need to be on-wall.

I'm gonna recommend Salk SongTower RT's ($2600) for L/R, a custom designed matching center channel ($1300?) and then your surrounds will depend on what form-factor they need to be.

I like your subwoofer choice.

The mirage OMD-5 surrounds are neatly mounted in the pic near the bottom of this page

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112563.0

Get to post #23 here and see where a custom design was used to accommodation the poster's unusual mounting needs.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112378.msg1168195#msg1168195

And bluntly: it's a beautiful room. IMO, it should have audio gear that adds to the aesthetic.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks I will look into your suggestion. Anyone have any other thoughts?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Since the Salk Song Towers fit well inside your budget what else is there to say? They are an excellent speaker - and a work of art as well. If you don't like them you can send them back for a refund. Not many send them back.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by semschaf View Post

Thanks I will look into your suggestion. Anyone have any other thoughts?
Philharmonic, though that would send you back to Salk for the center. Dennis Murphey (Philharmonic) was involved in several of the Salk designs.

I could name some other names; but of the speakers I've heard (which is many) those are the best I can recommend in this price range.

Names I hear others suggest around this price, but that I have not heard include Tekton and Ascend.

The big-box names in this price range include Paradigm (Studio line) and Bowers and Wilkins (CM line). I have owned both. I consider the Salks and Philharmonics markedly superior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page