Polk audio rm6750 vs. Energy Take Classic 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm new to the audio world and need some help. I Purchased the polk speakers at pc Richard for $195 on 12/7 and have 30 days to return. I can get Energy Take Classic 5.1 for $299. Can anyone offer some opinions as to which is the better speaker set? I know the Energy's are highly recommended on cnet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The problem with both of those systems is that the front speakers are too small for a decent system sound.

Owners of the Energy Take system repeatedly post on here and say they wish they hadn't bought them , so I would question any positive statements about them.

The one system that you can get in that price range that is noticeably better is the Martin-Logan MLT-2 system. It has somewhat more capable front speakers and a better subwoofer.

For a $300 system, I don't think you can do any better. ($300 currently at newegg).
post #3 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 07:56 AM

Liked: 10
I have the Energy's and I love them. Can't really speak for the Polk.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses. I saw the Mtl-2 for $300 as well but I've also seen some negative reviews on them, I think on Amazon. Don't feel like I'm getting clean crisp sound at lower volume levels from the polk system. I also don't feel like they are producing a powerful sound at higher volume levels.

post #5 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want a powerful sound at higher volume levels you are going to have to spend a lot more than $300 for a system!

Three-inch speakers are the same size as the the ones in the clock radio at Motel 6. That is what Energy and Polk use in those mini-systems for main drivers...that is a joke!

You need to get some speakers with AT LEAST 6-inch drivers, and for good sub-bass you need a subwoofer with 300 watts of power and a 12-inch driver.

Here is a system that will be MUCH much better and is as cheap as you can get::

A pair of Polk Monitor 40 speakers ($160).

A pair of Polk Monitor 30 speakers ($90).

A Polk PSW505 subwoofer ($200).

A Polk CS 10 center speaker ($100).

That system is a huge bargain for what it will do!

To get the cleanest possible sound at all volume levels, I have about $20,000 in my system...lol.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

I understand your point. I was trying to invest in something that was more visually appealing to please the misses but also something that would please me from a listening standpoint. Sound like I may not be able to get both.

Any thoughts on the pioneer sp-pk21bs?

I have a Yamaha htr-4065 (same as rx-v473) that my polks are hooked up to right now.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm new here, just saying Hello, I'm like you with big dollars in my rigs,I like your Reccomends! I bought 3 pairs of the cheap Pioneer
SP-BS21-LR 80 Watt RMS 2-Way Speakers (Pair) @ newegg for 44.99r, or amazon, have a large expensive Velodyne Sub
& bought the Denon 1913 Yesterday on this threads Advice.
These speakers Are Warm "Slightly detailed non colored acceptable bass, &
play @ concert levels with a cheap Sony 7.1 reciever.

I'm comparing 7 CHEAP OK speakers in sound "Feeling"

To my VERY expensive alon speaks with Cyrus AMP/HRT DAC + tube

& they are very pleasant for blue-ray & DVD! Music? just OK
post #8 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

The Pioneer 41 would be better; the main driver in the 21 is very small. The Pioneers have rather low sensitivity, which is not usually a good match for a lower-powered receiver.

Maybe the Cambridge S30 speakers? they are relatively small and pretty good. The Cambridge S50 center speaker is also excellent and compact.

In any case, I would return them for a refund if it was me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfica1 View Post

I understand your point. I was trying to invest in something that was more visually appealing to please the misses but also something that would please me from a listening standpoint. Sound like I may not be able to get both.
Any thoughts on the pioneer sp-pk21bs?
I have a Yamaha htr-4065 (same as rx-v473) that my polks are hooked up to right now.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The Pioneer 41 would be better; the main driver in the 21 is very small. The Pioneers have rather low sensitivity, which is not usually a good match for a lower-powered receiver.
Maybe the Cambridge S30 speakers? they are relatively small and pretty good.
By lower powered receiver, do you mean watts per channel? I believe the yamaha htr-4065 has 115 watts per channel. Sorry if I sound like a moron, but this is all new to me. I'm coming from a Kenwood vr-407 htib that was 12 yrs old.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

That is plenty of power for the Pioneer speakers. I wasn't clear on that.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I did notice a slight lowering in volume compared to my Boston Acoustics, but they, both speaks play very loud with 2/3 volume in my 12X15 room.
I should admit that I'm a bit cheap in the Video room!!!, but I really feel that the speakers are Very important in a single do it all system!
I also feel that the recievers DAC s are now maybe the most Important to getting inexpensive speaks to sound the best they can!
post #12 of 12 Old 05-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Oddly enough, I have the Polk system and my brother has the Energy system you are asking about. Realize that I heard both systems in different environments but I prefer my Polk system slightly. It sounds more linear and cleaner.
They're comparable in audio quality so keep in mind that my opinion is subjective and you may prefer the Energy. Audio sound is a matter of personal taste. I know this because I have a few friends with top of the line car audio and the low end drowns out everything else and results in nothing that sounds like music. Just noise.
Reply Speakers