Looking to upgrade my mains, must be floor-standing and look good - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I think its time to upgrade my speakers and I need some help choosing. I currently have a pair of Boston Acoustic A150's that were rebuilt, a JBL pb12 with a Bash 300S amp in it, and a Sony STR-DE595 receiver. I usually leave the sub off so I'm not concerned about it much right now, the main thing I want is some really nice mains and like the title says floor-standing ones. For some reason I hate the look of small speakers, that said I have no limitations on size. I am looking to spend around $1000 on these with huge emphasis on both sound quality and aesthetic appeal. I have these hooked up with a television which is hooked to a pc, they are used for 75% music 25% movies. This whole setup is in a bedroom now, but I intend to move it into cinema room once I get a house. I intend to keep these a lonnnng time so if I need to spend more so be it as long as the improvements are noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
These Wharfedale's are hard to beat. A little over budget

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15494-wharfedale-diamond-107-tower-speakers-pr.aspx
Old 01-01-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Do you just want nice clean looking speakers or do you want fancy finished speakers (basic finish but done nice like black oak vinyl or fancy rosewood/cherry finishes) ?

My Arx A5 towers are nice looking speakers and sound great. They are black ash vinyl with a satin bass with cast alloy drivers and tweeter face plate. http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=arx-a5-floorstanding-loudspeaker&products_id=227& Money went into making them sound great over fancy looks.

Heres some that fall within your budget and some get recommended quite alot on AVS and some other forums.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers/Level-THREE-Tower-Speakers
http://www.emptek.com/e55ti.php
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus-family/intimus-5t-tower-speaker
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/FOCAL814V/FOCAL-Chorus-814V-716v-Dual-6-Floorstanding-Speakers-Gloss-Black-Pair/1.html
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRBBX6
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMT5
Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM

Liked: 40
When a question such as yours is asked, you will often hear recommendations about what someone already has or what someone wants. Whats important though is finding what is best for you. With speakers, this requires some work from you too. Because besides wanting towers and what you have now, we don't know anything else.

What kind of sound and aesthetic are you looking for? There are dozens and dozens to choose from at around $1000 pair with all kinds of driver configurations, designs and finishes. I believe your Bostons are a vintage floor standing 3 way with a soft dome tweeter. Do you like they way they sound? Are you wanting to replicate the same sound in a more current model? If so, we can recommend several towers that have this type of high frequency driver. Tweeters come in all different types - soft fabric domes, metal domes, ribbons, compression horns, etc and they all sound different. Do you like the finish on the Bostons and are you looking for a similar finish? Or is Black Ash sufficient to satisfy your design aesthetic? How about a High Gloss Piano Black? Then there are the traditional wood finishes like Cherry, Walnut, Rosewood available in both vinyl or furniture grade veneers. At $1k pair, it wouldn't be hard to zero in on something that meets your requirements to all these questions. But we need the answers to make the recommendations to find the best speaker for you.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
Old 01-01-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

I dont like the look of the Boston Acoustics, I'd like something sleek and modern whether it be real wood/ very high quality imitation or the style that the Focals posted look like (I am also leaning towards the rosewood look). I am a fan of the contemporary bachelor pad style. The Bostons sound really flat for me naturally so I have a program called SRS Audio Sandbox that I turn on that really brings them out, however the highs sound a bit scratchy at higher volume with it. I have a pair of JVC FXD80 IEM's that sound very good to me. I think there are some showrooms near me that I can check out tomorrow and give you guys the names of what sounds good to me for comparison. I remember an ex of mines father bought some really nice speakers by Zingali and those sounded amazing, I also think they were like $14k...
Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 PM

Liked: 40
Thanks, you gave us a lot more to work with. If the Bostons sound flat, you are probably a fan of a more lively, forward sound. Soft dome designs may be a little too laid back for you. The Focal 814v that were recommended would be a good choice. Their piano black finish is definitely contemporary if not downright sexy. I would think bachelor pad for sure. If you get a chance to audition Focal Chorus series speakers, either 700 or 800 series, do so.

Not familar with Zingali but I googled them and they look like horn speakers. Since you liked their sound, better put the very popular Klipsch Reference series on you list and listen to them. The RF62ii have a list of $1000K pair and come in Black or Cherry. If you can bump up your budget, also check out Monitor Audio RX6's at $1250 pair. Metal dome tweeters and a varierty of finishes, Rosewood included. The lesser Bronz BX-6 was also recommended and should be in your wheelhouse. You now have three very well known brands to hunt down and audition. Have fun and good luck.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
Old 01-01-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I would also add PSB and Paradigm for you to audition, has some nice top end sizzle without the harshness. Paradigm Monitor 9s should fall within your budget as well as the PSB Imagines (I think).
Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

If you get a chance to audition Focal Chorus series speakers, either 700 or 800 series, do so.
If you can bump up your budget, also check out Monitor Audio RX6's at $1250 pair. Metal dome tweeters and a varierty of finishes,

Focal Chorus and Monitor Audio Silver RX6, are 2 nice options > and are good
http://www.soundadvice.com/Monitor-Audio-Silver-Series-Floorstanding-Speakers-RX6-Priced-Per-Pair-P1244.aspx

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every once in a while you will see someone selling some Onix Rockets on the classifieds forum (the company went out of business). I really like their Brazilian Rosewood finish and they would likely fit in your budget. It looks like there are plenty of pictures on google for you to take a look (LINKY).
Old 01-02-2013, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Energy RC 70s?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
fwiw,just a small suggestion , if you do end up with the focal 814 from ac4L ( imo, great value for some great sounding and looking speakers) i would purchace the matching center channel as these are a discontinued model and the center might not be around for to long and once they sell out could be difficult to locate one later when you go to put in your new homes cinema room.purchacing it now still keeps you in your budget. just something to think about. good luck on the crazy journey of new speaker buying. my only advice would try to listen to as many speakers as you can in your budget to see and hear what "you" like. then make a short list and go from there or you will get to overwhelmed by the flooding of suggestions coming in and or have buyers remorse after your purchace .all the suggestions above are very good ones and there are probably quite a few more in your budget.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well I went to two audio stores near me and they had the PSB Image T5 and T6, the Paradigm Monitor 20's, and Klipsch RT62ii. I'll need to listen to them side by side to be sure but I think I liked the Klipsch better than the T5 and about the same as the T6. I also listened to the Klipsch reference 7 which was very nice. I have to say that black wood is a definite no buy for me, and while the cherry is decent the rosewood looked best to me. One thing I noticed is that these speakers are not all that large except for the reference 7, which is the size I would prefer. Another store near me carries some Focals so I will go there tomorrow, I feel like I will have to spend a bit more money to get exactly what I'm looking for., I wish I could check out the Wharfdales, they look nice. I question I have is waht is the difference between the focal 814 and 816? All I've heard is that the 816 replaced it but it makes me wonder if this was for a good or bad reason.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rindoze View Post

waht is the difference between the focal 814 and 816? All I've heard is that the 816 replaced it but it makes me wonder if this was for a good or bad reason.
The 816 did not replace the 814 > the 814 was built special and was destined to be sold at the former Sound Advice,
before they went out of business. The 814 was left in limbo - however AC4L picked the lot up, and it then became a
good deal for a lot of people.

The 814 is built around the 716 - with a higher end cabinet finish.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone think these are worth it? http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-green-mountain-audio-calypso-non-hd-version-2013-01-01-speakers-27513-cary-nc They are no more than 15 minutes from where I live so I can go check them out and not have to pay shipping or anything and I bet I can haggle it down a bit as well. Or is there something better at this price point ($3150)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

That sure blows your $1k budget out of the window lol. Would certainly be worth an audition, and you could probably talk the guy down to $2.5k since you're local.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anyone think these are worth it? http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-green-mountain-audio-calypso-non-hd-version-2013-01-01-speakers-27513-cary-nc They are no more than 15 minutes from where I live so I can go check them out and not have to pay shipping or anything and I bet I can haggle it down a bit as well. Or is there something better at this price point ($3150)

How about $11,500 for the Snell A7 Illusion Towers.smile.gif
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-snell-a7-illusion-reference-50-000-tower-system-excellent-condition-with-boxes-2012-12-11-speakers-13850-vestal-ny

Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have that kind of money saved up lol. The $3000 range is about as high as I'm willing to go
Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Ascend Sierra Towers

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 01-03-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I went to two audio stores near me and they had the PSB Image T5 and T6, the Paradigm Monitor 20's, and Klipsch RT62ii. I'll need to listen to them side by side to be sure but I think I liked the Klipsch better than the T5 and about the same as the T6. I also listened to the Klipsch reference 7 which was very nice. I have to say that black wood is a definite no buy for me, and while the cherry is decent the rosewood looked best to me. One thing I noticed is that these speakers are not all that large except for the reference 7, which is the size I would prefer. Another store near me carries some Focals so I will go there tomorrow, I feel like I will have to spend a bit more money to get exactly what I'm looking for., I wish I could check out the Wharfdales, they look nice. I question I have is waht is the difference between the focal 814 and 816? All I've heard is that the 816 replaced it but it makes me wonder if this was for a good or bad reason.

You can get those for well under $3k

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1937&sc=57

With the matching center for a little over

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=2004&sc=57
Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Alright so I have made a purchase! I got a pair of Focal 836v's off of audiogon for $2100. I noticed that all the speakers in this price range I tested sounded good enough for me so I picked the ones which I thought looked the most attractive. Should have them sometime next week, I foresee my current amplifier being pretty crappy for them so I'll spend next week looking for a better amp.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 96
The 836's are probably some very nice speakers. Congrats on the purchase

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
Old 01-06-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Alright so I have made a purchase! I got a pair of Focal 836v's off of audiogon for $2100. I noticed that all the speakers in this price range I tested sounded good enough for me so I picked the ones which I thought looked the most attractive. Should have them sometime next week, I foresee my current amplifier being pretty crappy for them so I'll spend next week looking for a better amp.

The 836V, the flagship of the 800V series, is a great speaker for the money, especially used. Eventually you can add the matching 800V center and 806V rears. As far as electronics are concerned, what sort of budget do you have?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm a little skeptical as far as amps go as to the benefits of very expensive ones, so I am looking to spend from $100-$1000. I heard people having success with these speakers with cheaper Marantz systems so I have been looking down that ally. I probably will end up going the used route on the amp as well. I was looking at the dedicated amp and pre-amp setup but the price for pre-amps were pretty dang high compared to just an A/V receiver, and then there's the added cabling involved with a pre-amp.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not skeptical, i've never been able to tell apart a uber expensive amp with a high quality receiver. I bought the Onkyo TX-NR818 for under $1k and its been just great. I used a friends Parasound Halo A21 amp ($2k+) and never heard one difference after level matching my fronts for stereo use. That was running my Arx A5s full range at some crazy levels. I never noticed more ambient sounds, airy treble/mids, soundstage expansion, pin point details, tigher bass, nothing. Nothing different in sound, not like those old school stereophile elitetist guys claim.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Alright so I have made a purchase! I got a pair of Focal 836v's off of audiogon for $2100. I noticed that all the speakers in this price range I tested sounded good enough for me so I picked the ones which I thought looked the most attractive. Should have them sometime next week,

Good deal - they should be a real nice set-up for you.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Liked: 11
focal 836v would be a nice speaker. I listened to them in the erstwhile Tweeter store ( 900 series). These are rated 92 DB, so any decent AVR would drive them with ease - however, the 3 ohm dip may be a concern. I would just go with a decent AVR from regular players & add a cheap amp from emotiva ( or outlaw)

Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Alrighty just got everything hooked up! The Focals were a fantastic deal, the owner that had them before had them very briefly and these things still had all the protective plastics and everything on them. It was exactly how a brand new set would be. I am using a Marantz SR5006 I got off this forum and it seems to be holding up fine. I have a hard question though. The guy that I bought these from has the rest of the surround set for these. Do you think I should pick up the center from him at this time? I know that if I did go HT I would need this, but know that I wont do that for at least 6 months. Would prices decline by then on a center? He is selling it for a very good price as well.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ No guarantee, that prices will decline on the center - if he is giving you a good deal,
then I would think about it

Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Alrighty just got everything hooked up! The Focals were a fantastic deal, the owner that had them before had them very briefly and these things still had all the protective plastics and everything on them. It was exactly how a brand new set would be. I am using a Marantz SR5006 I got off this forum and it seems to be holding up fine. I have a hard question though. The guy that I bought these from has the rest of the surround set for these. Do you think I should pick up the center from him at this time? I know that if I did go HT I would need this, but know that I wont do that for at least 6 months. Would prices decline by then on a center? He is selling it for a very good price as well.

I would pick up the center and surrounds from him if you can afford it and he gives you a good deal on them.