Which of these speakers (w/ sub) will make The Sundays and The Corrs sound amazing? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post

Hello, sorry it took so long for me to respond.
In my opinion, the rosenut finish is stunning in person. I am not a fan of black (or lighter finished) speakers, darker cherry and rosenut are my favorites. Also, I very much prefer real wood veneer over vinyl veneer finished speakers. These are among the most beautifully finished and well built speakers I've ever owned.
As far as the midrange is concerned, they are fabulous. Let me give you a bit of background info on me and my musical tastes. I am a 49 year old, lifelong music lover and audiophile. I listen to a wide variety of music, ranging from classic rock/blues/jazz/folk/americana/country (real country, not the newer crap). As you may be able to guess by my avatar, I am HUGE lover of female vocalists. To me there is no sweeter sound on this earth than a good female singing voice. Some of my favorites are Linda Ronstadt, Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, Natalie Merchant, Emmylou Harris, Holly Cole, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Natalie Cole, etc (I could go on forever). And I'm also a big guitar lover, so while I like as balanced a speaker as possible, the midrange frequencies are the most important to me. The RX1's are perfect for me in that regard (at least as perfect as I've found in their price range). With the female singers I like, many speakers can/do exhibit sibiliance with them, which ruins the listening experience for me. I have not found this to be an issue whatsoever thus far with the RX1s.
I have also wanted to give those Focals a listen, but no local dealers carry them so I have not had the chance to. But, I can't imagine me being more happy with another pair of speakers in this price range, and I can see me being quite content to live with these for a long time to come.
Just curious, what amp and other gear would you be running with them, and what size room would they be placed in? I have listened to mine on a Rotel RA-05 SE and an Onkyo A-5VL integrated amps (both 40 wpc), and I prefer them with the Onkyo. The other gear in my setup consists of an Onkyo C-S5VL SACD player, Music Hall MMF-2.2LE turntable, all plugged in to an APC H15 power conditioner. My listening room is 12' x 18', and they fill it with beautiful music!!
Of course, audio is very subjective, and your mileage may vary. I strongly recommend you go to audition them and your other choices if at all possible. Or at least purchase them from a place that has a good return policy in the event they don't work for your needs.
Good luck and let us know which ones you end up with!!
Here's a photo I just took to give you a general idea of the color of the finish (it doesn't do them justice, they are much better looking in person):

Hi Rick,

That's great to hear, as the guitar and female vocals are my favorite as well! How well would you say these speakers work for music like "The Corrs", where a lot of violin and flutes are playing in many of their songs? Natalie Merchant is great, and I heard of several of her songs when she was in "10,000 Maniacs". Now, since it was since August that my store, "AudioArk" had the Focal 706Vs on sale, I don't even think they would have any more since it's discontinued even when I was asking a salesman about finish choices. At the time I was into gloss black, haha!

Rosenut looked great for the Paradigms, but wasn't digging the "steampunk" look of the Studio 10's with their grilles off. Looking at your picture, I'm liking very much the detail of the tweeter and the unique material/style of the white woofer. Color looks very sexy in that picture, so I will take your word on how amazing it appears in person.

Now, I have an Onkyo TX-NR 609, which is a 7.2 system which gives me the option of using TWO subwoofers. I haven't really been able to use it since August (save for the first day I had everything set up), as it was defective right out of the box. I am still awaiting for my store to call me up on if it's fixed yet as they only shipped it in mid-December. eek.gif

I'm very certain I will get these Silver RX1s Rick88, but after I listen to them in the store next week. May I ask you if you are using a subwoofer? Also, which kind of speaker wire are you using? I'm thinking of getting the 3 meter interconnects from Emotiva.

Do you also have a center channel for it? I'm still thinking of getting one "just in case" as I am only wanting a 2.1 or a 2.2 system at the moment and think any good speakers can make vocals seem like they are coming from the center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM

Liked: 10
I am getting ready for bed, but I'll reply to your post quickly before I do so.

I believe the RX1s would be great with the Corrs' music, so far I feel they are great with any type of music that I listen to.

I dismantled my HT setup nearly a year ago to go back to a 2 channel setup. I was not watching movies that often anymore, all I want to do most of the time is listen to music. And quite frankly HT receivers just did not do it for me with music. I am not running a sub either. And I am not a basshead anyways, and the RX1s put out very respectable bass on their own (in a small-medium sized room).

As for speaker wire, this is what I am using:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2816&seq=1&format=2

"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am getting ready for bed, but I'll reply to your post quickly before I do so.
I believe the RX1s would be great with the Corrs' music, so far I feel they are great with any type of music that I listen to.
I dismantled my HT setup nearly a year ago to go back to a 2 channel setup. I was not watching movies that often anymore, all I want to do most of the time is listen to music. And quite frankly HT receivers just did not do it for me with music. I am not running a sub either. And I am not a basshead anyways, and the RX1s put out very respectable bass on their own (in a small-medium sized room).
As for speaker wire, this is what I am using:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2816&seq=1&format=2

Thanks for the link to the wire. I think I am still going to go with a subwoofer, only because I would be using it for movies around 40% of the time, and action/adventure are my favorite genre of films.

My Onkyo 609 was great with the Cambridge Minx speakers I paired them up with, which is also a British based company. So I'm hoping I don't need to upgrade my receiver or buy an amp, as I don't have the means for that now till maybe the summer.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM

Liked: 13
+1 for the RX1, I demoed them before deciding to purchase the tower versions of them the RX6's. the rx1's were mind blowing good for the price point and I demoed them back to back with the cm5 b&w's and I would of purchased the rx1's over the b&w. I expected the rx1 to be in the b&w cm5 price range of $1,500 + for how good the sound quality was.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

Thanks for the link to the wire. I think I am still going to go with a subwoofer, only because I would be using it for movies around 40% of the time, and action/adventure are my favorite genre of films.
My Onkyo 609 was great with the Cambridge Minx speakers I paired them up with, which is also a British based company. So I'm hoping I don't need to upgrade my receiver or buy an amp, as I don't have the means for that now till maybe the summer.

The RX1s are pretty easy to drive, and your Onkyo 609 will have no problem powering them. Like I said, I have tried 2 different integrated amps with them (both 40 wpc), with great results. And yes, if you are using them in an HT setup, you definitely want to use a sub. I would say that if they were to be used in a 2 channel setup such as I am in a small-medium sized room (and you are not a huge basshead), no sub is needed.

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM

Liked: 13
I am driving my RX6 through a Onkyo 515 and have no issues what so ever.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The RX1s are pretty easy to drive, and your Onkyo 609 will have no problem powering them. Like I said, I have tried 2 different integrated amps with them (both 40 wpc), with great results. And yes, if you are using them in an HT setup, you definitely want to use a sub. I would say that if they were to be used in a 2 channel setup such as I am in a small-medium sized room (and you are not a huge basshead), no sub is needed.

Excellent, than I will keep my Onkyo 609! Well my room is larger than it was last summer, however, if I decide to move once my lease is up... new place can go either larger or smaller. So I always have that in mind.

As for a sub, some have recommended me a 12" sub for my sized room. I've been looking to get one since I really want it, especially after feeling the hits and booms, when I've seen Skyfall last weekend with a friend of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post

+1 for the RX1, I demoed them before deciding to purchase the tower versions of them the RX6's. the rx1's were mind blowing good for the price point and I demoed them back to back with the cm5 b&w's and I would of purchased the rx1's over the b&w. I expected the rx1 to be in the b&w cm5 price range of $1,500 + for how good the sound quality was.

Wow Imyamen! If you demoed a $700 speaker against the $1400-1500 B&W CM5 and say it's almost on par... that makes me super excited when I go in next week and listen! So I take it, the RX1 kills the B&W 686 ($650) bookshelves (since the CM5's are supposedly better than it)?

Sweet!

Now everyone, if I want to get some good 1 to 2 feet high stands for these speakers, where should I look for them? I am going to be getting a PJ screen sometime this year, and don't want to hide these behind the screen when viewing a film. I'd like the top of the speakers to be right under the bottom of the screen, give or take a few inches.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 AM

As far as speaker stands go, you will get the best results by placing them on stands that raise the tweeter to ear level when seated in your listening chair/sofa. For me 24" stands were perfect.

Here are the ones I have:

http://www.wayfair.com/VTI-RF-Series-24-Fixed-Height-Speaker-Stand-Set-of-2-RF-VI1166.html

Here's their entire stock of stands:

http://www.wayfair.com/Speaker-Stands-C431590.html?keyword=&sortby=6&itemsperpage=100&curpage=1

I really like VTI products, I have this audio rack as well and I love it:

http://www.wayfair.com/VTI-BL-Series-Modular-Rack-BL304-BL404-VI1005.html

I also filled the tubes on the speaker stands with sand, and it made them sturdier and actually improved the sound a little. Before, you could knock on the tubes and get a ringing sound. And while playing music, if you put your hand around the tubes, you could feel quite a bit of vibration going through them. Now, there is virtually no vibration, and zero ringing. These stands were already pretty sturdy and fairly heavy (the base is heavy cast iron), now they are about 12 lbs heavier with the sand in them, and are even sturdier.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As far as speaker stands go, you will get the best results by placing them on stands that raise the tweeter to ear level when seated in your listening chair/sofa. For me 24" stands were perfect.

Here are the ones I have:

http://www.wayfair.com/VTI-RF-Series-24-Fixed-Height-Speaker-Stand-Set-of-2-RF-VI1166.html

Here's their entire stock of stands:

http://www.wayfair.com/Speaker-Stands-C431590.html?keyword=&sortby=6&itemsperpage=100&curpage=1

I really like VTI products, I have this audio rack as well and I love it:

http://www.wayfair.com/VTI-BL-Series-Modular-Rack-BL304-BL404-VI1005.html

I also filled the tubes on the speaker stands with sand, and it made them sturdier and actually improved the sound a little. Before, you could knock on the tubes and get a ringing sound. And while playing music, if you put your hand around the tubes, you could feel quite a bit of vibration going through them. Now, there is virtually no vibration, and zero ringing. These stands were already pretty sturdy and fairly heavy (the base is heavy cast iron), now they are about 12 lbs heavier with the sand in them, and are even sturdier.

Thanks for the links Rick! smile.gif

I have seen some VTI 19" fixed height stands on Wayfair today, that look similar to yours, and I'm definitely adding that to my "wish list".

If I choose to not add sand and don't touch or wave my hand in front of the speakers, they will not vibrate, correct?

Do you recommend "toe-in" for the speakers, or is it more important to have ear level matching the height of the tweeters?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

Thanks for the links Rick! smile.gif

I have seen some VTI 19" fixed height stands on Wayfair today, that look similar to yours, and I'm definitely adding that to my "wish list".

If I choose to not add sand and don't touch or wave my hand in front of the speakers, they will not vibrate, correct?

Do you recommend "toe-in" for the speakers, or is it more important to have ear level matching the height of the tweeters?

You'll be fine if you don't fill the speaker stand tubes with sand or another material, but I recommend it highly. It only cost me a little over $3 for a 50 lb bag of sand. It took about half of the bag to fill all 6 tubes, and it made the stands heavier/sturdier, and I actually did notice a slight improvement in the sound. It tightened up the bass a bit, and the mids & highs seem a little cleaner...

It is tough to say which is more important, having the tweeters at ear level or toeing the speakers in. To me, they are equally important. You will definitely get the best results with the tweeters as close to ear level as possible in your seating position. And as far as toe-in is concerned, you will hear more detail in the music and have a more centered image when sitting in the sweet spot if you toe the speakers in. This is somewhat dependent on the speakers, your room, and personal taste. I recommend you do some experimenting to see what you like best...

Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You'll be fine if you don't fill the speaker stand tubes with sand or another material, but I recommend it highly. It only cost me a little over $3 for a 50 lb bag of sand. It took about half of the bag to fill all 6 tubes, and it made the stands heavier/sturdier, and I actually did notice a slight improvement in the sound. It tightened up the bass a bit, and the mids & highs seem a little cleaner...

It is tough to say which is more important, having the tweeters at ear level or toeing the speakers in. To me, they are equally important. You will definitely get the best results with the tweeters as close to ear level as possible in your seating position. And as far as toe-in is concerned, you will hear more detail in the music and have a more centered image when sitting in the sweet spot if you toe the speakers in. This is somewhat dependent on the speakers, your room, and personal taste. I recommend you do some experimenting to see what you like best...

I see. Will the sand eventually corrode the inside of the posts or not? How many pounds would you say each of your stands are after filling it in with sand? I'm considering it now if it does make it sound better for $3 extra. Just don't want to risk damaging $120 speaker stands, LOL

Do you recommend a center channel for listening to iTunes or FLAC files from CDs? Is it being used at all, or will it make vocals seem more lively and "better"?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I agree with Rick. Fill the stands. The sand will not corrode the metal tubes. If you don't want to use sand, you can also use industrial crushed quartz. This is what I use in my stands for my rear surrounds. Its about $3.00 a bag also. Once you fill the tubes, the stands usually have a rubber gasket and then the top plate to seal the material in. No worries.

As Rick pointed out, mass loading your stands will improve the sound quality of your speakers by reducing resonances inherent in the metal the stands are made of. Also, each stand will be about 20 plus pounds and very stable. Another benefit. Very nice speakers and stands you have Rick. Sounds like you are enjoying them.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Paraneer, if I decide to buy solid wood stands will this be equal to a sand filled metal stand?

Also, I am not sure if I should forego the center channel entirely as I have heard some Cambridge Audio S30's in a store and it was a 2.0 setup. I was standing in the center-- speakers were wide apart and I already got a sense vocals were coming from the center.

I'm wondering, because I can use this money to buy a subwoofer and such.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Never had solid wood stands so I cannot comment. The RX-1's is a pretty hefty bookshelf, and I would automatically think metal with some kind of mass filling be it sand, quartz, etc. I would want the most stability I could get along with the damping qualities of the material I filled them with. Again, to reduce resonance as all material, wood or metal, have a resonant frequency. And besides, I just think metal stands look cool!

In a 2.0 system, there would be no center. It is 2.0 only. A good pair of speakers like te RX-1'S, when time is taken to find the optimum position for them relative to the listening position, will image vocals in the center perfectly (if that is what the recording intended the vocals to do). Now in HT application, where soundtacks are 5.1 or higher, there is a dedicated center soundtrack and the use of no center is entirely a different discussion. Good luck in whatever you do - ultimately it is your system; not ours.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

A good pair of speakers like te RX-1'S, when time is taken to find the optimum position for them relative to the listening position, will image vocals in the center perfectly (if that is what the recording intended the vocals to do).

Another good point! I also highly recommend you experiment with placement to find the best sound. I must have moved mine at least 10 times before I finally settled on their permanent location in my room. Sometimes, even the slightest movement of an inch or two can produce dramatic results...

Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 AM

If I'm honest, I have nothing to add about the speakers, but I was interested when you mentioned the Sundays. I too am a Sundays fan, I've seen them and Ivy too in concert. I'm a big fan of Wheelers voice too. That said you should check out the following bands artists...
Hers just a few groups....
Hooverphonic- solid group
Autour de Lucie- Great band! Better than Ivy.
Stars-For the longest time Wheeler was my favorite female vocalist, but Amy Millan of Stars is just as good. Elevator Love Letter is a good song to start with.
jj- One of my favorite newer groups. From Africa to Malaga is an amazing song from a great album.
The XX

However my favorite female vocalist bar none is Neko Case. She as alt country singer for the most part and her music is dark, but I think she's got the best voice I've heard. Literally, the first time I heard the song Star Witness I got chills.

I'm assuming you've head the Cocteau Twins, right?

I could go on and on...sorry.

Mirkwood 4.0 Equipment List

Mirkwood Home Theater
This is my very, very outdated website.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post

If I'm honest, I have nothing to add about the speakers, but I was interested when you mentioned the Sundays. I too am a Sundays fan, I've seen them and Ivy too in concert. I'm a big fan of Wheelers voice too. That said you should check out the following bands artists...
Hers just a few groups....
Hooverphonic- solid group
Autour de Lucie- Great band! Better than Ivy.
Stars-For the longest time Wheeler was my favorite female vocalist, but Amy Millan of Stars is just as good. Elevator Love Letter is a good song to start with.
jj- One of my favorite newer groups. From Africa to Malaga is an amazing song from a great album.
The XX

However my favorite female vocalist bar none is Neko Case. She as alt country singer for the most part and her music is dark, but I think she's got the best voice I've heard. Literally, the first time I heard the song Star Witness I got chills.

I'm assuming you've head the Cocteau Twins, right?

I could go on and on...sorry.

I guess I will have to check out those recommended artists/bands, since I'm an Ivy and Sundays fan. I've heard of Neko Case from "New Pornographers" --and tried her solo stuff several years back... it wasn't something I can get into.

I heard of a few "Stars" songs, and remember liking them alot; never tried their full albums so I will listen to some of their work eventually. And no, haven't heard of Cocteau Twins or any of those other bands.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

Never had solid wood stands so I cannot comment. The RX-1's is a pretty hefty bookshelf, and I would automatically think metal with some kind of mass filling be it sand, quartz, etc. I would want the most stability I could get along with the damping qualities of the material I filled them with. Again, to reduce resonance as all material, wood or metal, have a resonant frequency. And besides, I just think metal stands look cool!

In a 2.0 system, there would be no center. It is 2.0 only. A good pair of speakers like te RX-1'S, when time is taken to find the optimum position for them relative to the listening position, will image vocals in the center perfectly (if that is what the recording intended the vocals to do). Now in HT application, where soundtacks are 5.1 or higher, there is a dedicated center soundtrack and the use of no center is entirely a different discussion. Good luck in whatever you do - ultimately it is your system; not ours.

Well, I plan on using these RXs for both Bluray viewing and listening to FLAC from CDs. A center speaker could be useful, but if the imaging is great, and I get the sense the dialogue is coming from the middle... I won't be getting a CC.