Which of these speakers (w/ sub) will make The Sundays and The Corrs sound amazing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am a huge "Sundays" fan and Harriet's voice is gorgeous. For those who haven't heard of The Sundays, the vocalist has an amazing range and has a very unique voice. Love the "jangly" pop sound as well. smile.gif

I only recently discovered The Corrs, and have been listening to some of their songs and really like the Celtic & Irish sound in almost all of their songs I have listened to.

Now, the speakers I have on my wish list right now is shortlisted to under $700 and are below;

1. Wharfedale Diamonds 10.2 - $300/pr
2. B&W 685 - $680-700/pr
3. Paradigm Mini Monitors (current version) - $600/pr

And yes, these will all be on stands and not on/in a bookshelf, TV stand, desk, etc.

My main focus is on music, and so whichever has the best midrange, can produce realistic soundstages (e.g. separation of vocals, guitarist, violinist, etc), and can work with movies (paired with a subwoofer), and is overall very musical and I guess "open"-- will be the one I purchase.

Specific songs for you all to listen to, that might be of help for which speakers will be great:

1. Sundays - Summertime/ A Certain Someone /
2. Flyleaf - Fully Alive/ New Horizons
3. Veruca Salt - Sound of The Bell
4. The Corrs - The Right Time / Lough Erin Shore / I Never Loved You Anyway
5. Ivy - The Best Thing / Undertow

And lastly, thanks a ton guys! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Have you considered the S30s? I had em for a stereo set up and loved them. Also RC-10s!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 48 Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, yeah I've considered the S30s, listened to them for 2.5 hours last summer and really liked it though the low end sounds quite different between the demo subwoofers. We tried it with the 8 inch Polk sub, the KEF T model subwoofer (looks like a cube cut in half).
post #4 of 48 Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Wow, the Sundays eh? They were a great band. Loved the vocals and the melodic guitar work. Their final album came out about 15 years ago right?

From your "very" short list I would go with the Wharfdales or B&W 685. I think the 685 has a fairly good midrange but a rather smooth top end. Because of this many describe the 685 as sounding veiled. I like the S30 recommendation. Have you considered the KEF Q300?

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #5 of 48 Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

Hi, yeah I've considered the S30s, listened to them for 2.5 hours last summer and really liked it though the low end sounds quite different between the demo subwoofers. We tried it with the 8 inch Polk sub, the KEF T model subwoofer (looks like a cube cut in half).

Those wimpy subwoofers, can not keep up with the Cambridge S30 bass.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 48 Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 92
Quote:

... Now, the speakers I have on my wish list right now is shortlisted to under $700 and are below;[/B]
1. Wharfedale Diamonds 10.2 - $300/pr
2. B&W 685 - $680-700/pr
3. Paradigm Mini Monitors (current version) - $600/pr ...

That's quite a price spread. Quick thoughts ...
I would look for used B&W CM5's before buying B&W 685's. I'd probably also take Monitor Audio BX2's ($500 - IMO best value in the MA lineup) over the 685's. It's not that I think the 685's are bad speakers, I just think they are overpriced.
In the 400 - 700 range there are also some very musical KEF and Focal bookshelf speakers worth considering.
If you can eek a little higher on the budget the Ascend Sierra 1's are extremely popular, and, seemingly tailor made to your situation. (They occasionally have B-stock.)

Re some of the other posts ...
+1 on the KEF Q300 (only $480 at accesories4less).

+1 if you decide to go with a lower budget then the Cambridge Audio S30, no question.

+1 It takes a better sub to pair up with the S30's. (Actually this applies to any of the speakers in the thread - you've got a good list going.)
post #7 of 48 Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Paradigm Mini Monitor will have a rising treble - starting as early a 5 khz
and up to 10 khz - then taper off a little, and then rise some more.

post #8 of 48 Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

Wow, the Sundays eh? They were a great band. Loved the vocals and the melodic guitar work. Their final album came out about 15 years ago right?
From your "very" short list I would go with the Wharfdales or B&W 685. I think the 685 has a fairly good midrange but a rather smooth top end. Because of this many describe the 685 as sounding veiled. I like the S30 recommendation. Have you considered the KEF Q300?

I have only discovered The Sundays this last summer and am hooked. I don't like the size or look of the KEF Q300 to be honest. What does "smooth" top end mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Those wimpy subwoofers, can not keep up with the Cambridge S30 bass.

Haha, that was funny. I guess the KEF should really lower the $600 tag on the sub I used, lol
post #9 of 48 Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

I would look for used B&W CM5's before buying B&W 685's. I'd probably also take Monitor Audio BX2's ($500 - IMO best value in the MA lineup) over the 685's. It's not that I think the 685's are bad speakers, I just think they are overpriced.
In the 400 - 700 range there are also some very musical KEF and Focal bookshelf speakers worth considering.
If you can eek a little higher on the budget the Ascend Sierra 1's are extremely popular, and, seemingly tailor made to your situation. (They occasionally have B-stock.)
Re some of the other posts ...
+1 on the KEF Q300 (only $480 at accesories4less).
+1 if you decide to go with a lower budget then the Cambridge Audio S30, no question.
+1 It takes a better sub to pair up with the S30's. (Actually this applies to any of the speakers in the thread - you've got a good list going.)

I considered the Focals 707 or 706, as the place I have store credit with, has them on sale for $550, BUT the finish wasn't one I liked at all, and the physical size of the speakers are "too large" for me and my room.

As for Monitor Audio, the ones I had been interested in were the RX-1s, in gloss white. However, due to my work cutting hours, spending $800 for a pair is slightly more than I want to spend. I got to also get a subwoofer as well and that is already $500.
post #10 of 48 Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Haha, that was funny. I guess the KEF should really lower the $600 tag on the sub I used, lol
That may be a good idea.

Also there seems to be some hope, that you may make a decision before summer of 2013.smile.gif

post #11 of 48 Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
I have only discovered The Sundays this last summer and am hooked. I don't like the size or look of the KEF Q300 to be honest. What does "smooth" top end mean?

Too bad. The KEF Q300 are IMHO superior to the B&W 685s. By smooth top end, I mean the the speaker is laid back, the higher frequencies are recessed a bit.
Quote:

Agreed. The CM5s have better much better off-axis response and just look and sound better despite using some of the same components (different crossovers obviously and a better cabinet for the CM5). The Ascend Sierra-1s are very nice speakers and can compete with the best of the non-ID brands in the price range.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #12 of 48 Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Out of curiosity, where did you see Diamond 10.2's for $300? They are usually $450 and only slightly less when discounted.
post #13 of 48 Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Oops, it could have been the 10.1s I may have been eyeing. It's the black one where it curves around the back like Paradigm Studio monitors.
post #14 of 48 Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Both the 10.2 and 10.1 curve like that. The 10.1 are normally $350 but I've seen them for $300 open box; the 10.2 are $450 but $360 open box. The 10.1 are the speakers that have been reviewed all over the place with people raving about them. When I get the dough I'll go for the 10.2 or the 10.1.....and probably a PSA sub.
post #15 of 48 Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Would you believe that until about 5-10yrs ago I didn't even know that "Wild Horses" wasn't an original Sundays song? Gimme a break, I'm not a Stones fan. I think the Sundays version is much better anyway.
post #16 of 48 Old 01-05-2013, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I considered the Focals 707 or 706, as the place I have store credit with, has them on sale for $550, BUT the finish wasn't one I liked at all, and the physical size of the speakers are "too large" for me and my room.
As for Monitor Audio, the ones I had been interested in were the RX-1s, in gloss white. However, due to my work cutting hours, spending $800 for a pair is slightly more than I want to spend. I got to also get a subwoofer as well and that is already $500.
see saturdayaudio.com and email them for a price on the rx1's

Phil Tomaskovic
post #17 of 48 Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

see saturdayaudio.com and email them for a price on the rx1's

So I assume you'd recommend the Monitor RX1s over all my other choices?
post #18 of 48 Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... As for Monitor Audio, the ones I had been interested in were the RX-1s, in gloss white. However, due to my work cutting hours, spending $800 for a pair is slightly more than I want to spend...

The RX1 is a nice speaker, esp. for music - you should be able to get a pair for just under $700. (I initially recommended the BX-2 because it is very close in sq and more in the $500 range.)
post #19 of 48 Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The RX1 is a nice speaker, esp. for music - you should be able to get a pair for just under $700. (I initially recommended the BX-2 because it is very close in sq and more in the $500 range.)

I'm willing to save up for another month to get the RX1, if I can get it for $700 or so. Would this be noticeably better than Cambridge Audio's S30s and Wharfedale Diamonds, since it IS twice as expensive?
post #20 of 48 Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO the RX1 will have better imaging and better detail than the S30. The RX1 is actually 3.5 to 4 times the S30's price point. (At www.audioadvisor.com the RX-1 is $675 in most finishes, $800 in gloss white or gloss black.)

(I'm an S30 fan and easily recommend them as the best speaker I've heard anywhere near their price point of $200 a pair.)
post #21 of 48 Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

IMO the RX1 will have better imaging and better detail than the S30. The RX1 is actually 3.5 to 4 times the S30's price point. (At www.audioadvisor.com the RX-1 is $675 in most finishes, $800 in gloss white or gloss black.)
(I'm an S30 fan and easily recommend them as the best speaker I've heard anywhere near their price point of $200 a pair.)

What is imaging again? And is "detailed" good for music and movies?
post #22 of 48 Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Watch this for some insight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mxs_TZ34_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RImJORfYgIM

post #23 of 48 Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In my (second rate) laymen's terms I would describe them ...
Imaging - The sense that the sound is all around you in the room, that different instruments are in different places in the room. Vs the sound coming at you directly from the speakers.
Detail - When playing very complex or full sounding music you can still distinctly hear each sound, instrument, voice, etc. Also, you can hear more subtle details on a given sound - the slide of a guitar note, a slight rasp in a voice, etc. Some speakers can start to get muddy or distorted as the sound becomes more complex or full, and/or subtleties of sounds are missing.

Other more experienced members can probably give you better, more precise explanations.
post #24 of 48 Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

In my (second rate) laymen's terms I would describe them ...
Imaging - The sense that the sound is all around you in the room, that different instruments are in different places in the room. Vs the sound coming at you directly from the speakers.
Detail - When playing very complex or full sounding music you can still distinctly hear each sound, instrument, voice, etc. Also, you can hear more subtle details on a given sound - the slide of a guitar note, a slight rasp in a voice, etc. Some speakers can start to get muddy or distorted as the sound becomes more complex or full, and/or subtleties of sounds are missing.
Other more experienced members can probably give you better, more precise explanations.

No, your description and definition is sensable and I understand.

I think I may go with the Audio RX1s in rosenut but would need to listen to them first in person, at one of the independant audio stores in my city. High gloss cabinets of either white or black would prove to be a problem when watching in the dark. The light and video is basically reflected on the cabinets and would be distracting.

So I'm deciding between the RX1s and the Wharfendale Diamonds (I prefer this look the most). I guess whichever is more transparent would be my pick. If I'm using this word correctly, this would mean you get a greater sense of "being there" in person or a "live" feel, correct?
post #25 of 48 Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So I'm deciding between the RX1s and the Wharfendale Diamonds
I guess whichever is more transparent would be my pick. If I'm using this word correctly, this would mean you get a greater sense of "being there" in person or a "live" feel, correct?

Well get ready, because the Monitor Audio Silver RX-1 is a real good one.

post #26 of 48 Old 01-07-2013, 07:06 PM

Liked: 10
I can't speak for the Wharfedales because I have not heard them. But, I can tell you the RX1s are phenominal, and worth paying a little more for in my opinion. I purchased a pair (also in rosenut) last week, and they sound fabulous with music. I got a great deal on them as well ($579) from a local dealer. They scream quality, from the looks, to the build quality, and most importantly the sound. Give them the "knuckle test" and you won't believe how solid they are!! They really give you a taste of the high end, that's for sure.

"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
post #27 of 48 Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

So I assume you'd recommend the Monitor RX1s over all my other choices?
I have no opinion about the RX1s; I've only heard the B&Ws. You mentioned that you would like the RX1s for a llower price and I knew Sat Audio carried them and
thye usually offered decent prices. I bought my receiver from them.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #28 of 48 Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

tongue.gif
post #29 of 48 Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post

I can't speak for the Wharfedales because I have not heard them. But, I can tell you the RX1s are phenominal, and worth paying a little more for in my opinion. I purchased a pair (also in rosenut) last week, and they sound fabulous with music. I got a great deal on them as well ($579) from a local dealer. They scream quality, from the looks, to the build quality, and most importantly the sound. Give them the "knuckle test" and you won't believe how solid they are!! They really give you a taste of the high end, that's for sure.

Rick, how would you say the rosenut color looks in person? I'm never a fan of the charcoal/black veneer finishes of most bookshelf speakers, but some of the pics of the RX1 in rosenut I've seen online, look very nice.

Is the mid-range very good when you're listening to music? This is the keyword in a few reviews I've read yesterday that is making me lean more towards the Monitor Audios more than anything else. I'm now deciding between this and the Focal 706V bookshelves.

Whichever has the better mid-range I will go for, BUT I may get a matching center. If I get a CC, then MA RX1s are almost a definite buy for me, as the store that carries the Focal 706Vs does not have any matching centers, and the finishes are different.
post #30 of 48 Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Rick, how would you say the rosenut color looks in person? I'm never a fan of the charcoal/black veneer finishes of most bookshelf speakers, but some of the pics of the RX1 in rosenut I've seen online, look very nice.
Is the mid-range very good when you're listening to music? This is the keyword in a few reviews I've read yesterday that is making me lean more towards the Monitor Audios more than anything else. I'm now deciding between this and the Focal 706V bookshelves.
Whichever has the better mid-range I will go for, BUT I may get a matching center. If I get a CC, then MA RX1s are almost a definite buy for me, as the store that carries the Focal 706Vs does not have any matching centers, and the finishes are different.

Hello, sorry it took so long for me to respond.

In my opinion, the rosenut finish is stunning in person. I am not a fan of black (or lighter finished) speakers, darker cherry and rosenut are my favorites. Also, I very much prefer real wood veneer over vinyl veneer finished speakers. These are among the most beautifully finished and well built speakers I've ever owned.

As far as the midrange is concerned, they are fabulous. Let me give you a bit of background info on me and my musical tastes. I am a 49 year old, lifelong music lover and audiophile. I listen to a wide variety of music, ranging from classic rock/blues/jazz/folk/americana/country (real country, not the newer crap). As you may be able to guess by my avatar, I am HUGE lover of female vocalists. To me there is no sweeter sound on this earth than a good female singing voice. Some of my favorites are Linda Ronstadt, Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, Natalie Merchant, Emmylou Harris, Holly Cole, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Natalie Cole, etc (I could go on forever). And I'm also a big guitar lover, so while I like as balanced a speaker as possible, the midrange frequencies are the most important to me. The RX1's are perfect for me in that regard (at least as perfect as I've found in their price range). With the female singers I like, many speakers can/do exhibit sibiliance with them, which ruins the listening experience for me. I have not found this to be an issue whatsoever thus far with the RX1s.

I have also wanted to give those Focals a listen, but no local dealers carry them so I have not had the chance to. But, I can't imagine me being more happy with another pair of speakers in this price range, and I can see me being quite content to live with these for a long time to come.

Just curious, what amp and other gear would you be running with them, and what size room would they be placed in? I have listened to mine on a Rotel RA-05 SE and an Onkyo A-5VL integrated amps (both 40 wpc), and I prefer them with the Onkyo. The other gear in my setup consists of an Onkyo C-S5VL SACD player, Music Hall MMF-2.2LE turntable, all plugged in to an APC H15 power conditioner. My listening room is 12' x 18', and they fill it with beautiful music!!

Of course, audio is very subjective, and your mileage may vary. I strongly recommend you go to audition them and your other choices if at all possible. Or at least purchase them from a place that has a good return policy in the event they don't work for your needs.

Good luck and let us know which ones you end up with!!

Here's a photo I just took to give you a general idea of the color of the finish (it doesn't do them justice, they are much better looking in person):

"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page