Good, cheap speakers needed for beach bar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kartob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a beach bar and need good but very cheap speakers. The space is 11m (36ft) by 15.5m (50ft), 3m (10ft) ceiling height, wall on 3 sides and open to the beach on 1 side.

Unfortunately we’re over budget, would prefer not to take a loan, looking at a budget of $1000 for speakers, more if it is absolutely, unequivocally necessary. I am looking for something just passable enough to get us through the year to the point when money will no longer be such an issue and then we can upgrade.

We have been given a harman kardon avr 2000 receiver, not sure if we can use it. If not any suggestions for a replacement receiver? Is a seperate amplifier necessary for this application? I was planning on loading music onto an ipod or laptop... would this be possible with the AVR 2000?

The country is hot and humid and the bar is open 1 side so I was looking at all-weather/outdoor speakers, wall mounted and white colour to blend with walls. Are there any models that would be sufficient for this application? Any idea of quantity required for the size of the space? They will be used for ambient music during the day, loud music on weekend evenings. I'm guessing we'll have to wait on having bands or public address until we upgrade the system as I doubt we’ll get speakers capable of handling this for our budget…?

Obviously I have no experience in this area whatsoever, literally no idea but at this point there is no money for expert help so I was hoping this forum might be kind enough to help.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be very, very appreciated.
kartob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
That's a bad budget to accomplish your goal. No point in putting together a crap system for $1k and then completely scrapping it in a few months. A pair of these JBL's is $300 over your budget, but it would give you a great foundation

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/jbl-control-30-three-way-indoor-outdoor-speaker

You could run up to 5 speakers, and multiple subs off that receiver. When you have more then 2 speakers, you would just put the receiver in "5 channel stereo" mode to have them all playing equally. When your budget allows, pick up a couple more Control 30's, and a couple subs (the 30's have good bass so you might not even feel the need for subs).

To connect an mp3 player you would just need a cable like this

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004YEBK66/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357150953&sr=1-3&keywords=3.5mm+to+rca
Jay1 is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Espo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartob View Post

I am building a beach bar and need good but very cheap speakers. The space is 11m (36ft) by 15.5m (50ft), 3m (10ft) ceiling height, wall on 3 sides and open to the beach on 1 side.
Unfortunately we’re over budget, would prefer not to take a loan, looking at a budget of $1000 for speakers, more if it is absolutely, unequivocally necessary. I am looking for something just passable enough to get us through the year to the point when money will no longer be such an issue and then we can upgrade.
We have been given a harman kardon avr 2000 receiver, not sure if we can use it. If not any suggestions for a replacement receiver? Is a seperate amplifier necessary for this application? I was planning on loading music onto an ipod or laptop... would this be possible with the AVR 2000?
The country is hot and humid and the bar is open 1 side so I was looking at all-weather/outdoor speakers, wall mounted and white colour to blend with walls. Are there any models that would be sufficient for this application? Any idea of quantity required for the size of the space? They will be used for ambient music during the day, loud music on weekend evenings. I'm guessing we'll have to wait on having bands or public address until we upgrade the system as I doubt we’ll get speakers capable of handling this for our budget…?
Obviously I have no experience in this area whatsoever, literally no idea but at this point there is no money for expert help so I was hoping this forum might be kind enough to help.
If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be very, very appreciated.

How many speakers are you thinking about? The HK 2000 is a 40 watt per channel Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 receiver. That means that you can hook up a front left, center, and right speaker, a left and right rear speaker, and a sub-woofer. The receiver is only 40 watts per channel, so you really don't have much power to play loud. Perhaps you can set the receiver to play 5 channel stereo when listening to music. Otherwise it is a home theater receiver designed to play discrete sound from the 5 channels...like when watching a movie, dialog will come from the center, and special effects will come from the surround channels.
You are probably better off looking for some used pro gear...the stuff DJ's and bands use. Your staff is likely to crank up the volume on the HK the first week and blow it to Hell.
But if you insist on going along with your plan, simply google indoor outdoor speakers. Look for 8 Ohm speakers. That is what the HK is rated for. The company Crutchfield comes to mind...lots of help and info from them.

Espo77
Espo77 is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kartob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Perfect Jay1, exactly what I need, thank you!
An extra $300 is doable, do you think I can get away with 2 x control 30's for the time being in the size of space I have?

Espo77 can you recommend a receiver to replace the AVR2000, something that will work well with the JBL control 30's? Maybe I can find something used, to bring the price down.

Thanks so much for the info! Really appreciated.
kartob is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartob View Post

Perfect Jay1, exactly what I need, thank you!
An extra $300 is doable, do you think I can get away with 2 x control 30's for the time being in the size of space I have?
Espo77 can you recommend a receiver to replace the AVR2000, something that will work well with the JBL control 30's? Maybe I can find something used, to bring the price down.
Thanks so much for the info! Really appreciated.

Depends on how loud you get, the point about blowing your amp is very real.

This might be a good cheap solution as a 4 channel integrated amp

http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Pro-IA640-Integrated-Multicolor/dp/B004L18XYE/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357154905&sr=1-24&keywords=integrated+amplifier
Jay1 is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Jay1 is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Member
 
3rdHerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
you should go look at a big local pawn shop, alot of DJ's go out of business and have to sell their gear. Or go to guitar center / musicians friend and just look at powered speakers. That Pyle one above is cheaper, and has the ipod dock and remote control,
3rdHerd is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kartob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The amplifier would be used in conjunction with the receiver I have and would stop the receiver's amp from blowing?

Espo77 mentioned the HK AVR 2000 receiver is only 40 watts per channel which won't be enough.. does the amp you suggested change this? i did mention i'm clueless!)

I think getting 2 of JBL control 30 speakers and adding later is a good idea and i'm okay with the extra $300..

Unfortunately pawn shops aren't an option as I'm in Turkey now and travelling back to West Africa.
kartob is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Member
 
3rdHerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290284


two sets of those Polks, and a sub would run off that receiver better than the control 30's. They would also have the benefit of being able to be moved around later when you upgrade, and they come with the mounting brackets already.

however, there are great two channel amps relativly cheap, try this one for two channel amplification:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa200

much better amp, but that one he posted had great other features, like the ipod dock, which you wanted to use.
3rdHerd is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Like I said originally, no point in starting out with crap speakers that will be thrown away shortly. The Control 30's are high end, high output, professional installation speakers. The receiver is only temporary (free), and should be shortly replaced. It will power a pair of the JBL's, but when you're ready to add more, you should already have a better amp solution.
Jay1 is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Member
 
3rdHerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have heard those Polks, and two pair would fill your space, and would not clip you receiver. they have great mids and sharp highs. They go down to 40hz overall, but would lose low end around 55hz. Should be fine for a bar though, if it were a home installation I would recommend a sub for sure. Keep in mind, those control 30's are awesome pro speakers, would perform better overall, but you will definitely have to amplify them, and your would be at 150% of your stated budget. With the polks, you woud be under budget, and happy smile.gif

also, the other PA type speakers I listed, they would work with your receiver, you would just have to splice the speakon wires.
3rdHerd is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kartob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jay1 I'm seeing JBL control 29 with good reviews, obviously there's a reason they cost less than the 30's but would 2 of these and a sub work? Or do you recommend just sticking to the 30's?

Will definately keep that Emotiva amp in mind around upgrade time, thanks 3rdHerd.

And thanks everyone for so much input, really helpful.
kartob is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Yeah the 29's would work. The 30's have sronger bass, higher sensitiviy, and output capability, along with better sound quality, and off axis response. All in all a seriously better speaker. All of that might not matter for your situation though.
Jay1 is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Espo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You need to check out the A/C for the country you are moving to as well. 110V 60HZ ???

Espo77
Espo77 is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Espo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

You need to check out the A/C for the country you are moving to as well. 110V 60HZ ???


^^^
I was going to ask "what kind of juice does the Bar provide", but I didn't want to confuse.

Espo77
Espo77 is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kartob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, we're using a generator set to 220v which the hkavr2000 is. Do the speakers also need to be specifically for 220v?
kartob is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Espo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
don't know the answer to that, someone else???

Espo77
Espo77 is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 10,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartob View Post

Hi, we're using a generator set to 220v which the hkavr2000 is. Do the speakers also need to be specifically for 220v?
They do if they're self powered. If they're passive the amp must be 220v, as must be whatever you're using for sound sources.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Member
 
3rdHerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

They do if they're self powered. If they're passive the amp must be 220v, as must be whatever you're using for sound sources.

That is correct, however you can step down the voltage with one of these. There are bigger and smaller wattage ones also.

http://www.220-electronics.com/2000-watt-voltage-converter-step-up-and-down.html

this one has international plugs.

http://www.220-electronics.com/2000-watt-diamond-series-voltage-converter.html
3rdHerd is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kartob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone!
The receiver is 220v and I have 3 big step up/down converters (2 x 2000 watts, 1 x 5000 watts) so looks like i'm set.
Really appreciate all the help.
kartob is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 AM
Member
 
PatrickVogeli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For that price I would probably get 7 JBL Control One All Weather and a 7 channel amplifier. You can get the JBLs at around $120 per pair, that would set you at $480 for the speakers. With the rest you can get a 7 channel or maybe even 9 channel AVR.

Being a beach bar and with that size, I would rather get 7 Control One that just a pair of speakers. This way you can distribute the speakers around the whole bar and get a nice covering sound.
PatrickVogeli is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 01-21-2013, 03:23 AM
Member
 
3rdHerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartob View Post

Thanks everyone!
The receiver is 220v and I have 3 big step up/down converters (2 x 2000 watts, 1 x 5000 watts) so looks like i'm set.
Really appreciate all the help.

just buy me a drink when the bar opens!
3rdHerd is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off