Polk Audio Monitor 75t (tower) or 45b (bookshelf) for Fronts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Re: Polk Audio monitor 75t tower speakers vs Polk Audio monitor bookshelf 45b speakers.

I have a simple question to help me choose the front speakers in my 2.1 home theater setup. I will have no surrounds or dedicated center channel speakers. I will be adding a Polk Audio PSW505 12" subwoofer which has got quite a solid bass to it. This 2.1 setup is strictly for movies only. The room size if 13x16x9.

I am trying to decide between Polk Audio tower monitor 75t or bookshelf monitor 45b speakers to use as the two main speakers in my 2.1 setup. I realize that towers are full range but my thinking is that since sub will be handling low range frequencies, spending extra money on tower speakers may be a waste. I am only going to watch movies on this setup.

If it matters: 45b bookshelf speakers are costing me $188 for the pair and 75t towers will cost $445 for the pair. Not a huge difference in price but it could also be seen this way: is paying more than twice for 75t's in my setup (2.1 for movies only!) will be worth it?

Can you please share your opinion?

THANKS!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Get the bookshelves, easier to sell off when you get the urge to upgrade wink.gif In all seriousness, the only person who can tell if the sound is "good enough" is you. If you can, see if you can listen to them in a best buy. If not the exact speakers, then comparable ones. I find the sound from towers is just better than bookshelves to me. And when you factor in stands, the price difference can be not that big. For a 2.1 setup I'd get the towers.

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
I already have a pair of very good stands so no extra cost there for me. Besides, cost is not the factor: I am only trying to decide whether bookshelf 45B + subwoofer will sound as good as 75T + subwoofer in a 2.1 movie setup.

I would love to hear from someone who has experience with the bookshelf + subwoofer setup (movies).

Thanks
post #4 of 6 Old 04-03-2013, 10:40 PM

Liked: 10
I ran a 3.1 for a while some 5 or so years ago. It was a mid level Onkyo 5.1 reciever with Pioneer LCR. I had the dual 5.25 center & a couple of 3 way towers that I recall having a tweet/4 inch/7 inch woofer. I was glad I went with the tower over the bookshelf, but I didn't own stands and with those factored in the price was much closer for my low end pioneer's. I had a darn nice Boston Acoustics 10" sub that retailed as much as my reciever, got a great deal.

I went with the above when I got sick of the weak sound from a cheap HTiB.

To answer your question, if you already have the stands & don't have an opinion about the look of stands vs tower, save the money. If you planned to not run a sub, I'd say go for the 75's, but with a sub & the real LFE crossed out of the fronts, it should work. The room size plays into it as well, are you sitting all the way back, mid room, odd position?

Like mentioned before, it comes down to you. But, looking at the facts (own stands, running sub) I'd say go with the bookshelves and save a couple hundred bucks for the next itch.

Sorry for reviving the dead.

Always a student, never a teacher.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 PM

Liked: 13
Get the 45b's and spend more on a better sub. Klipsch Reference RW-12d is 280 right now at newegg and will blow the polk sub away. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1442829/klipsch-rw-12d-on-sale-for-299-at-newegg-com-again-today or get an SVS PB-1000. I've owned the 70's and found them lacking below 60hz and you're getting a sub to take care of the low end. Only get the towers if you really like the looks of towers vs bookshelves. IMO you'll be better off with the 45b's and a good sub (not the polk sub wink.gif)

post #6 of 6 Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by badshah2000 View Post

Re: Polk Audio monitor 75t tower speakers vs Polk Audio monitor bookshelf 45b speakers.

At this point I image you already made a decision, but if not, you should most definitely pony up for a pair of towers. The 45 and 75 speakers are virtually identical to the 40 and 70, and I literally just compared the two side by side last week in a 2.1 setup just for curiosity sake. I matched my Monitor 40 Series II's with my Hsu Research VTF-2 MK4, and then swapped in the 70's for the 40's for an accurate comparison and was honestly shocked by the results. Even if I raised the sub crossover in an attempt compensate for the 40's lack of low end, there was still a distinct gap in mid-bass and a huge lack of "fullness" in the overall sound. After being accustom to hearing the 70's as my main speakers, I could never switch them for 40's.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page