Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 384 Old 12-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

Well, I received my Level Two Center, and it lasted 36hrs. The end was last night when we were watching Modern Family and I was switching the center speaker setting between small & none trying to talk myself into the center, and my wife who was sitting next to me but was playing a FB game while watching TV said, "Ewww, whatever you did there, I don't like it". I engaged the Level Two Center from phantom. She never pays any attention to what I'm doing and can't hear even a large change, so when she said that, I actually laughed, explained what change I made and she said "See, you should've just left well enough alone".

For me, in my home, with my equipment and in my layout, a physical center speaker is the compromise solution. I suppose I could completely rearrange the living room, but that would require finding a new wife, and I'm kind of fond of the one I have. I could buy a new home, but that seems to be a little extreme just to add a physical center speaker. So, I took the easy way out and my theater sounds better because of it. cool.gif

Out of curiosity, what are your mains?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 384 Old 12-19-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post

Out of curiosity, what are your mains?

HTD Level Two Towers

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #363 of 384 Old 12-19-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Yes, agreed. What I meant was that some people seem to prefer the idea of a phantom center, period.

I'll tell you why I do it. I have a multi-purpose living room with a pull-up ~85" screen that is flanked by a pair of KEF Q65s in stereo. No good place for a center. In this configuration I also only run 2.0. It is space-constrained, but quite good. I've previously had a 6.1 system, where my L & R were substantially better than my center - and phantom sounded better there. I think a center is ideal in ideal circumstances, but I think a phantom center works much better in many cases - and it is a configuration option most people overlook, thinking oh, I must have 5.1 or 7.1.
D Bone likes this.
post #364 of 384 Old 12-19-2013, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

True. I made my first center adequate to match my mains at that time. I designed and built new mains and the center no longer worked well compared to the mains. So I designed and built a new center that was the equal of the new mains. End of problem. If your center isn't of the same quality as your mains it won't sound as good as your mains. One need not be Einstein to come to that conclusion. cool.gif

So what would be a "good" horizontal center channel design that's commercially available?

post #365 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
The number of posters on this and the other thread who have tried a matching center and preferred phantom just keeps mounting. I predict it won't cause even one single nay-sayer to reconsider.
post #366 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

The number of posters on this and the other thread who have tried a matching center and preferred phantom just keeps mounting. I predict it won't cause even one single nay-sayer to reconsider.

Which other thread? And your prediction is in little doubt.
post #367 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

True. I made my first center adequate to match my mains at that time. I designed and built new mains and the center no longer worked well compared to the mains. So I designed and built a new center that was the equal of the new mains. End of problem. If your center isn't of the same quality as your mains it won't sound as good as your mains. One need not be Einstein to come to that conclusion. cool.gif

So what would be a "good" horizontal center channel design that's commercially available?

The B&W Nautilus HTM2 is properly designed:

photo by AVS member ahartig

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #368 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Interesting: because I had this one setup and the phatom was superior in that room:

post #369 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting: because I had this one setup and the phatom was superior in that room:

Right, because that speaker still has multiple horizontal drivers—the Nautilus design is proper, the Diamond is still compromised.

post #370 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

Right, because that speaker still has multiple horizontal drivers—the Nautilus design is proper, the Diamond is still compromised.
If that is true, it also applies to the HTM2, as the port is not aligned with the center drivers. And that then tilts the advantage back to the HTM1, as the symmetrically displaced woofers "phantom image" directly in line with the mid/tweet. With a sufficiently low crossover, there will be no significant off-axis lobing issues.
post #371 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Quote:

If that is true, it also applies to the HTM2, as the port is not aligned with the center drivers. And that then tilts the advantage back to the HTM1, as the symmetrically displaced woofers "phantom image" directly in line with the mid/tweet. With a sufficiently low crossover, there will be no significant off-axis lobing issues.

Port resonance is low enough that the bass is not localizable, that's true for just about any decent vented speaker.

post #372 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your absolute claim: horizontal drivers = bad.
Quote:

Port resonance is low enough that the bass is not localizable, that's true for just about any decent vented speaker.
Your contradiction of your absolute claim: horizontal != bad if the frequency is "low enough that [it] is not localizable"

Though I'm pretty sure that you still cannot support that claim. What stops the right side of a driver from interfering with the left side of the same driver? As I recall, anything spaced <1/4 wavelength acts as a single driver. I can go look up the physics if you like.
post #373 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 11:55 AM

Liked: 10

Hello Please excuse in advance if this in not the correct forum for my question.

I am thinking about adding a centre speaker to my current Paradigm set up (its taken too long). I have two (2) Monitor 7 (v3) and a Paradigm sub powered by an Onkyo TX-Sr 500. My budget leans towoards a Paradigm Cinema 110C v3 center channel which I can get on ebay for $80 plus $50 shipping to Canada. Will this addition be compatible with existing set-up? Thanks for any input. Lar

post #374 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullikB View Post

Hello Please excuse in advance if this in not the correct forum for my question.
I am thinking about adding a centre speaker to my current Paradigm set up (its taken too long). I have two (2) Monitor 7 (v3) and a Paradigm sub powered by an Onkyo TX-Sr 500. My budget leans towoards a Paradigm Cinema 110C v3 center channel which I can get on ebay for $80 plus $50 shipping to Canada. Will this addition be compatible with existing set-up? Thanks for any input. Lar
That is a center I would NOT buy...a straight MTM.
You want one that has the tweeter & midrange stacked vertically, and neither inline with the mid-bass drivers.
The Paradigm SE center is a much better choice. I would rather pay the extra $260 for the SE, than pay the $109 for the 100C v3.
post #375 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Quote:

Your absolute claim: horizontal drivers = bad.
Quote:

Your contradiction of your absolute claim: horizontal != bad if the frequency is "low enough that [it] is not localizable"

Though I'm pretty sure that you still cannot support that claim. What stops the right side of a driver from interfering with the left side of the same driver? As I recall, anything spaced <1/4 wavelength acts as a single driver. I can go look up the physics if you like.

Choosing the right crossover frequency is how you prevent that.

And, there you have it. The HTM2 Diamond crosses over to the midrange at 350Hz. 1/4 wavelength at 350 Hz is about 9.5 inches, and the center-to-center spacing on the HTM2's woofers exceeds 9.6 inches. Now personally I don't think that's a big deal, the woofers will act as one driver for most of their effective range, but not all of it. By contrast, 1/4 wavelength at port tuning is typically several feet—somewhere in the 5-10 foot range for the HTM2 nautilus—and again, so low that the sound from the port is not localizable.

The HTM2 Diamond is simply not as close to ideal in terms of driver alignemnt as the HTM2 Nautilus, which is perfectly logical considering that brand's hierarchy. 

post #376 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 03:22 PM

Liked: 10

Thanks for the input. I looked up SE on line and wonder if i'm on the right track are they also known as ~~Centre 1, Centre 3 ??

Thanks again

post #377 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

The HTM2 Diamond crosses over to the midrange at 350Hz. 1/4 wavelength at 350 Hz is about 9.5 inches, and the center-to-center spacing on the HTM2's woofers exceeds 9.6 inches.
Except in this case the spaced woofers are covering some of the same spectrum as the midrange driver between them, with crossovers with finite slopes. The only real way to know the HTM1's off-axis response is to measure it.
imagic likes this.
post #378 of 384 Old 12-20-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:

The HTM2 Diamond crosses over to the midrange at 350Hz. 1/4 wavelength at 350 Hz is about 9.5 inches, and the center-to-center spacing on the HTM2's woofers exceeds 9.6 inches.
CTC spacing need not be 1/4 wavelength unless the listening distance is quite close. In general 1 wavelength is fine. Where 1/4 wavelength spacing is significant is the cone to cone distance for fully additive mutual coupling. This speaker doesn't look bad where comb filtering is concerned, since it is a 3 way with a low crossover point to the mid. Widely spaced two ways tend to be far more problematic.
Quote:
the woofers will act as one driver for most of their effective range
Where they do dispersion on the horizontal plane will be well less than half that of one driver, which is another reason why horizontal MTMs aren't the best idea. In the case of the HTM2 the woofers could be closer together, but still, with a 350hz crossover to the midrange I don't see a major issue. Again, it's widely spaced 2 ways that have problems.
imagic likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #379 of 384 Old 12-22-2013, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullikB View Post

Thanks for the input. I looked up SE on line and wonder if i'm on the right track are they also known as ~~Centre 1, Centre 3 ??
Thanks again
It would seem the SE series is the older. The center 1, 3 are the Monitor series. I saw the SE center on Amazon.
Being you have the Monitor series, get the monitor center.
post #380 of 384 Old 12-25-2013, 10:19 AM

A secondary benefit in my case is without a center I have enough amplifier channels available to bi-amp the mains
post #381 of 384 Old 12-25-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post

A secondary benefit in my case is without a center I have enough amplifier channels available to bi-amp the mains
Passive biamping provides no benefit.
post #382 of 384 Old 12-25-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Passive biamping provides no benefit.

Oh noes...another debate in a debate is going to start lol.

Happy Holidays folks!
D Bone likes this.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #383 of 384 Old 12-25-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Happy Holidays folks!
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
post #384 of 384 Old 12-25-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Happy Holidays folks!

mind blown

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm Studio 60

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page