post #391 of 395 Old 11-11-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post
My 2005 Pioneer 1014 THX receiver reduced the dynamic range a great deal when downmixing to 4.1. A number of other threads on AVS and HomeTheaterShack talked about and tested this with other receivers as well.
I have Master & Commander DVD & BluRay. If I pick the DTS track, the phantom center doesn't make the receiver reduce DR, but on the Dolby Digital track, it does, and it's terrible. The same as using the receiver's dynamic range compressor settings, which robs the soundtrack of all life and impact.
Decode the audio in the disc player. The AVR will not apply DRC to PCM. The issue is not the disc, it's the AVR. It should not force DRC with phantom center, but some did that.

More AVRs are offering things like dialog enhance that can emphasize the center channel or voice. Not sure how that works with phantom center, but it should still do so. Keep an eye out for it when next you shop for an AVR.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 395 Old 11-11-2014, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Decode the audio in the disc player. The AVR will not apply DRC to PCM. The issue is not the disc, it's the AVR. It should not force DRC with phantom center, but some did that.
He doesn't have an HDMI receiver.
post #393 of 395 Old 11-11-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
He doesn't have an HDMI receiver.
oops.

Deadwood Atmos theater
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #394 of 395 Old 11-11-2014, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

More AVRs are offering things like dialog enhance that can emphasize the center channel or voice. Not sure how that works with phantom center, but it should still do so. Keep an eye out for it when next you shop for an AVR.
Thanks for that suggestion Roger. I'm currently running a phantom center with my JBL M2's and they do a fantastic job of it, but the whole DRC issue had me a bit hesitant to continue. I also have the Marantz 7702, do you know if it applies DRC to DD with a phantom center?

PCM is a workaraound I can live with, but maybe I don't have to?
post #395 of 395 Old 11-11-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Thanks for that suggestion Roger. I'm currently running a phantom center with my JBL M2's and they do a fantastic job of it, but the whole DRC issue had me a bit hesitant to continue. I also have the Marantz 7702, do you know if it applies DRC to DD with a phantom center?
I have a 7702 but have not tried phantom center. But all modern processors have shifted the downmixing away from the audio codec to the next DSP, post processing, and that breaks the trigger to activate DRC. Which is good. I'm confident you will not have a DRC problem with the 7702. And if you do, they can fix it with a firmware update, like they just did for the noise calibration bug.

And the 7702 has a Dialog Level Adj (p174), just in case...

Deadwood Atmos theater
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm Studio 60

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page